TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gas station frustration

PaulPaladin

You have vent problems. It's been documented on some early 07 Build1 cars, I don't know about newer 07 Build2 and later. Call your dealer as soon as you can and make an appointment. In full failure, you won't get any gas in it at all.

Guys, just thought of something. Does this happen during a complete full (from close to empty) or a "top off"? I'm thinking a complete full. A lot of vapors get pushed around during a fill up. If that's the case, perhaps topping it off until you get it fixed will be better than fighting the pump for 20 minutes.

Seems like half the time I fill up my Baby, I need to wrestle with the pump handle to find that PERFECT angle where the auto shut off wont kick in after about 2 seconds. Took me forever to fill 'er up yesterday. Anyone else have this problem? Is our tank filler neck angled funny?

Filler Neck is Kinked up inside where you cant see it, Ford has had problems with this.

From what I can find this was an issue with some 05 mustangs that Ford has fixed.

Everything I find now Ford states it is a problem with the pumps.

The only time I have had any problem is when setting the automatic flow on the pump to fast. If you set it on high it kicks off. If I set it lower it pumps fine.

The pump nozzles have several settings. When I set it at half speed or less there appears to be no problem with it shutting off. Anything over half speed the fill speed is to fast and will cut off.

Seems like half the time I fill up my Baby, I need to wrestle with the pump handle to find that PERFECT angle where the auto shut off wont kick in after about 2 seconds. Took me forever to fill 'er up yesterday. Anyone else have this problem? Is our tank filler neck angled funny?

Only happened to me once in So. Kalif. Never here in AZ. or NV.

Azbud

Many 05+ Mustang owners have had this problem. As you can see from the TSB they are getting the tanks replaced under warranty.

FUEL FILL SLOW, OR DIFFICULT TO FILL TSB 05-4-8

FORD:

2005 Mustang

ISSUE OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

Some 2005 Mustang vehicles may exhibit the fuel 050408A 2005 Mustang 4.0L SOHC: 1.7 Hrs.

tank being slow or difficult to fill. The condition may Replace Fuel Tank

be described as, repeated rapid shutoffs of the (Includes Time To Drain,

filling station pump nozzle, or multiple nozzle Refill And Transfer Any

shutoffs when attempting to fill the fuel tank. The Necessary Parts) (Do Not

condition may be due to the fuel tank vapor venting Use With 9002A, 9275A,

system inside the fuel tank. 9350E)

050408B 2005 Mustang 4.6L 3V: 1.9 Hrs.

ACTION Replace Fuel Tank

Install a new fuel tank. The new fuel tank has a (Includes Time To Drain,

revised internal venting system to improve fuel Refill And Transfer Any

filling. Remove the fuel tank assembly per Section Necessary Parts) (Do Not

310-01 of the Workshop Manual. Use With 9002A, 9275A,

9350E)

PART NUMBER PART NAME DEALER CODING

CONDITION 5R3Z-9002-AA Fuel Tank

BASIC PART NO. CODE

9002 42 WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of

New Vehicle Limited

Warranty Coverage And

Emissions Warranty

Coverage

Many 05+ Mustang owners have had this problem. As you can see from the TSB they are getting the tanks replaced under warranty.

FUEL FILL SLOW, OR DIFFICULT TO FILL TSB 05-4-8

FORD:

2005 Mustang

ISSUE OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

Some 2005 Mustang vehicles may exhibit the fuel 050408A 2005 Mustang 4.0L SOHC: 1.7 Hrs.

tank being slow or difficult to fill. The condition may Replace Fuel Tank

be described as, repeated rapid shutoffs of the (Includes Time To Drain,

filling station pump nozzle, or multiple nozzle Refill And Transfer Any

shutoffs when attempting to fill the fuel tank. The Necessary Parts) (Do Not

condition may be due to the fuel tank vapor venting Use With 9002A, 9275A,

system inside the fuel tank. 9350E)

050408B 2005 Mustang 4.6L 3V: 1.9 Hrs.

ACTION Replace Fuel Tank

Install a new fuel tank. The new fuel tank has a (Includes Time To Drain,

revised internal venting system to improve fuel Refill And Transfer Any

filling. Remove the fuel tank assembly per Section Necessary Parts) (Do Not

310-01 of the Workshop Manual. Use With 9002A, 9275A,

9350E)

PART NUMBER PART NAME DEALER CODING

CONDITION 5R3Z-9002-AA Fuel Tank

BASIC PART NO. CODE

9002 42 WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of

New Vehicle Limited

Warranty Coverage And

Emissions Warranty

Coverage

This applies to 2005 Mustangs ONLY

This does not apply to 2006 or newer. Ford has fixed the problem that caused this on the 05 models.

Any problems with 2006 or newer Ford is blaming any problems on the pumps at the service station and says to try another gas station.

One gas station that I use has really fast pumps and this has happened there twice. Slow the pumping down works fine.

+1 I had the same issue one day last year after setting the pump on full-auto. No matter what I did that day didn't work. The next day I drove directly to the station and tried really slow (about 1-2 gallons a minute). It worked and that's how I've been filling ever since.

I have this problem every time I refill my car. I have gotten used to simply slowing down the fill rate to about half. I have not had a 'normal' refill procedure yet, but I have always been able to get a full tank. Good thing, cause the Kenne Bell can use a lot of fuel! Unfortunately, some pumps will overflow more easily on the slow settings, so you've got to stay close while filling.

Doesn't happen with my 08 at all /knock on wood

lol, that was what I said about my 2007 last time this discussion came up. Then on the next fill up, ta dah, the pump kept cutting off. I had to stop the insanity before half way because I was getting late for work. So far it has only been a problem at one station.

I have this problem routinely with my '07 GT500. In addition to slowing down the pump speed, I have tried different angles of inserting the nozzle. With the hose towards the rear of the car seems to work best.

For some reason this post sounds vaguely Freudian. :rolleyes:

Michael

You have vent problems. It's been documented on some early 07 Build1 cars, I don't know about newer 07 Build2 and later. Call your dealer as soon as you can and make an appointment. In full failure, you won't get any gas in it at all.

:banghead:

I'll say this again...it's a vent problem, take it to your dealership. At least a dozen early members here experienced it and had it looked into.

:banghead:

I'll say this again...it's a vent problem, take it to your dealership. At least a dozen early GT500 members here experienced it and had it looked into.

I have this problem routinely with my '07 GT500. In addition to slowing down the pump speed, I have tried different angles of inserting the nozzle. With the hose towards the rear of the car seems to work best.

For some reason this post sounds vaguely Freudian. :rolleyes:

Michael

Try putting the nozzle in upside down! Watched all the CA peeps doing this and I tried it at one of the pit stops on the bullrun and it worked!

Try putting the nozzle in upside down! Watched all the CA peeps doing this and I tried it at one of the pit stops on the bullrun and it worked!

I swear this thread is starting to sound like famous quotes from the first three Star Wars movies: star-wars-smiley-023.gif

Star Wars

1. "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

2. "Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

3. "Look at the size of that thing!"

4. "Sorry about the mess..."

5. "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."

6. "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

7. "You've got something jammed in here real good."

8. "Put that thing away before you get us all killed!"

9. "Luke, at that speed do you think you'll be able to pull out in time?"

10. "Get in there you big furry oaf, I don't care what you smell!"

The Empire Strikes Back

1. "And I thought they smelled bad...on the outside!"

2. "Possible he came in through the south entrance."

3. "I must've hit it pretty close to the mark to get her all riled up like that, huh kid?"

4. "Hurry up, golden-rod..."

5. "That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

6. "But now we must eat. Come, good food, come ..."

7. "Control, control! You must learn control!"

8. "There's an awful lot of moisture in here."

9. "Size matters not. Judge me by my size, do you?"

10. "I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me!"

Return of the Jedi

1. "Rise, my friend."

2. "Open the back door!"

3. "Hey, point that thing somewhere else!"

4. "It's just a dead animal..."

5. "Not bad for a little furball."

6. "How can they be jamming us if they don't know we're coming?"

7. "Come here, I won't hurt you. You want something to eat?"

8. "Keep on that one, I'll take these two"

9. "I want you to take her. I mean it, take her!"

10. "I don't think the Empire had wookies in mind when they designed her, Chewie."

Michael

Archived