TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shaker 1000 subwoofer relocation

Printmaster123

I play in a lot of golf tournaments and got tired of jamming the clubs in trunk. I thought about it for a long time and figured why not use the empty space in the spare tire wheel well. I don't know if this is bad for my subwoofer or not but I have a full trunk now. The only thing I don't like is the speaker magnets are only about 1.5" from the bottom of the well and is magnetizing the wheel well. Only thing I have left to do is put Dynaxorb between the well and speakers to help eliminate Speaker Back-Wave Noise and Distortion.

Here's some before and after shots.

16" of space taken by subwoofer

Subwoofer_1.jpg

Subwoofer gone my new CS trunk mat in

Subwoofer_2.jpg

Subwoofer_3.jpg

Subwoofer_4.jpg

I made a platform for the amps and speakers. Put foam tape to help vibration and protect wires

Subwoofer_5.jpg

Need to figure on mount for tire pump. Thinking of strap and magnet mount to back side of wheel well

Subwoofer_6.jpg

So what do ya think?? What the hell was I thinking or great idea??

I don't notice any difference in the sound. No vibrations or rattles, even in convertible mode.

That's a nice professional install! Pretty clever.

Can you post a picture of the backside of the enclosure?

I have my Shaker 1000 turned off; I don't care too much for the thumping type bass.

That's a nice professional install! Pretty clever.

Can you post a picture of the backside of the enclosure?

I had been coming up with this idea since the day I took delivery. Had 20 prototypes in my head. Wasn't sure how this was going to look. Very pleased with it.

Underside is just 4 posts holding platform up, the other 2 amps and 1000 staples holding fabric in place. I take some pic's when I take it apart for the Dynaxorb sound material.

Thanks

Pretty cool- great idea. Question - subwoofer performance is all about air movement. You say the sound is the same - how does the air flow from the tire well?

I read alot about this and gave it alot of thought on the air flow. Didn't make any sence to put in the well no air flow at all. I figure the subwoofer is in a sealed trunk why not try it. It sounds fine - I think. Maybe I want it to sound good.

Great job! Your install looks very clean & well thought out.

You should patent it & sell it back to Ford.

Thanks

I thought about a patent but figured Ford must have thought of this and for some reason the subwoofer shouldn't be there. Maybe air flow like GT500FLYBOY mentioned or am I giving Ford too much credit?

What do you think about selling this after market? Think there would be any interest?

I play in a lot of golf tournaments and got tired of jamming the clubs in trunk. I thought about it for a long time and figured why not use the empty space in the spare tire wheel well. I don't know if this is bad for my subwoofer or not but I have a full trunk now. The only thing I don't like is the speaker magnets are only about 1.5" from the bottom of the well and is magnetizing the wheel well. Only thing I have left to do is put Dynaxorb between the well and speakers to help eliminate Speaker Back-Wave Noise and Distortion.

Subwoofer_1.jpg

Subwoofer_2.jpg

Subwoofer_3.jpg

Subwoofer_4.jpg

I made a platform for the amps and speakers. Put foam tape to help vibration and protect wires

Subwoofer_5.jpg

Need to figure on mount for tire pump. Thinking of strap and magnet mount to back side of wheel well

Subwoofer_6.jpg

I don't notice any difference in the sound. No vibrations or rattles, even in convertible mode.

Wow, that look's as if it were factory installed. Great idea, wish I had the talent to come up with putting one in my car. Think you might market this idea? I would be interested in buying one.

Azbud

Thanks

I thought about a patent but figured Ford must have thought of this and for some reason the subwoofer shouldn't be there. Maybe air flow like GT500FLYBOY mentioned or am I giving Ford too much credit?

What do you think about selling this after market? Think there would be any interest?

Wouldn't hurt to try. I would recommend Stangmods.com. While I have never met them personally, every time I have talked with them via e-mail or phone, they have knowledgeable & courteous.

Wouldn't hurt to try. I would recommend Stangmods.com. While I have never met them personally, every time I have talked with them via e-mail or phone, they have knowledgeable & courteous.

Cool - Thanks. Now that I have the template it's not hard to make. Most expensive part will be the cutting of the platform. A buddy cut the platform with his CAD didn't charge me. Wonder what that will costs?

Thanks again.

Subwoofer_1.jpg

Subwoofer_2.jpg

Subwoofer_3.jpg

Subwoofer_4.jpg

Subwoofer_5.jpg

Subwoofer_6.jpg

Smart, clean and very nice......

• 5 years later...

Actually, I like both installs there...we all can use more space in the trunk, and that empty wheel well is just begging to be used for something...I like how both of you relocated the air device that comes in our cars as well...I wouldn't mind having a template for either one or both of these installs...both are very nice...and a GREAT idea! Why didn't I think of that...Oh yeah, I'm not as smart as some of you guys! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea, awesome job! Interesting you mention golf clubs. The first owner of my car played a lot of golf too. He put the back seats down and put the clubs in "front to back" instead of "side to side". He even had that clear protective tape put on the bumper so it didn't get scratched. I golf occasionally and do the same. Doesn't look good and there's more road noise. This is a much better solution!!!

Archived