TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT Big Brakes

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just put this topic to Ms. Boylan about 2 days ago under the ask Amy section. I mentioned that most people will buy a SGT and keep the stock wheels and tires and would like to upgrade their brake package with something visible and SHELBY. I asked if there could be a package of cross drilled rotors, caliper, pads and brake lines to use on the stock bullitt wheels.

Also refer to Shelby GT Plus Brake System thread, currently on page 2 of Shelby mods, tech section.

I had a medium length conversation with Bud about Superchargers, wheels and brakes.

The summary is that the stock wheels on the GT will NOT work with any brake upgrade package, contrary to what the Shelby Performance Parts catalog says. The catalog is vague, but the only 18" wheels the "big brakes" will work with are the GT500 wheels.

I'm going to get black 20" Razors.

My wife was OK with the cars, but when I told her that the driver needed $10K more her she said something like (PGized) "huh?" :) I think she wants the automatic. She doesn't get the S/C. :):)

Is there a big brake package that fits the front of the SGT with the stock wheels? :waiting:

For the front, the Wilwood big brake six piston set-up will absolutely fit behind the stock SGT 18" wheel and for the rear the Steeda caliper relocate set-up with larger rotor works just fine. Glad I could help..

Fred

The summary is that the stock wheels on the GT will NOT work with any brake upgrade package, contrary to what the Shelby Performance Parts catalog says. The catalog is vague, but the only 18" wheels the "big brakes" will work with are the GT500 wheels.

Like these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-08-Ford-...01014QQtcZphoto

I want to keep my SGT as close to stock as possible. I retained all the OEM parts for all of the mods I have made to date. I thought it would be a nice touch to have Shelby branded calipers in the front, but it looks as if I won't see that without new wheels and tires, and I really don't want to change the overall appearance of the car, nor, spend the 4K.

Always some sh*t in the game...

LuLu, I agree with you. I do not want to pay for new wheels and tires just to put on a new brake package. I posted a thread asking SAI to sell a package with cross drilled rotors, upgraded pads, and painted calipers as SHELBY products. SAI needs to know they can make money off the upgraded brake package for those that will not be buying tires and wheels. I like the Bullitts because they remind me of the old Cragar S/S mags from the 60's. I think a lot of people would buy a bolt on package from SAI to improve their braking and yet keep it all SHELBY. BTW LuLu, I printed this extra large so old guys like you can read it without glasses./size]

LuLu, I agree with you. I do not want to pay for new wheels and tires just to put on a new brake package. I posted a thread asking SAI to sell a package with cross drilled rotors, upgraded pads, and painted calipers as SHELBY products. SAI needs to know they can make money off the upgraded brake package for those that will not be buying tires and wheels. I like the Bullitts because they remind me of the old Cragar S/S mags from the 60's. I think a lot of people would buy a bolt on package from SAI to improve their braking and yet keep it all SHELBY. BTW LuLu, I printed this extra large so old guys like you can read it without glasses./size]

Thank you for your kindness towards an old man. Ahh, yes. the beloved Cragar SS. My lifetime favorite as well.

I'd be very intrested in such an upgrade kit. Improved rotors, pads, lines and Shelby branded calipers. My fingers are crossed, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thank you for your kindness towards an old man. Ahh, yes. the beloved Cragar SS. My lifetime favorite as well.

I'd be very intrested in such an upgrade kit. Improved rotors, pads, lines and Shelby branded calipers. My fingers are crossed, but I'm not holding my breath.

Hey there,

We can take care of the improved rotors, pads and lines for you - but not the calipers. Dont think you will see an upgrade likat that in the near future. Crossing your fingers is okay - just DONT HOLD YOUR BREATH :):)

Page

SAI should sell an upgraded brake package consisting of cross drilled and slotted rotors, painted calipers that say SHELBY, upgraded pads, and stainless steel brake lines. We know they are not going to design and build the package, just offer the package for sale so we can keep our cars all SHELBY. Probably 80+% of the owners will never buy new wheels so there is more need for a brake package that fits the 18" wheels than the larger wheels.

YES!!!!!!! Like so many other items it doesn't have to be designed by Shelby but it has to say SHELBY on it. And sold by Shelby.

Shelby wouldn't even have to stock the item. All they have to do is list in the catalogue and forward the order to Wilwood or whomever to ship to the customer. That is how companies make money in the 21st century.

Now the question is what company will be the first to make the product and receive the Shelby endorsement and right to use the name SHELBY.

This is where companies are losing out by not spotting a niche market and providing the product to the customers demand.

all Shelby has to do is sit back, let someone else design the product, and bring to his doorstep. Shel makes the money off of being the middle man. No design costs, no production costs, no warehousing of the product etc.

Amy, Bud, et al, are you listening?

YES!!!!!!! Like so many other items it doesn't have to be designed by Shelby but it has to say SHELBY on it. And sold by Shelby.

Shelby wouldn't even have to stock the item. All they have to do is list in the catalogue and forward the order to Wilwood or whomever to ship to the customer. That is how companies make money in the 21st century.

Now the question is what company will be the first to make the product and receive the Shelby endorsement and right to use the name SHELBY.

This is where companies are losing out by not spotting a niche market and providing the product to the customers demand.

all Shelby has to do is sit back, let someone else design the product, and bring to his doorstep. Shel makes the money off of being the middle man. No design costs, no production costs, no warehousing of the product etc.

Amy, Bud, et al, are you listening?

However, since Shelby has a partership with Baer, I doubt you will see something from another brake maufacturer.

I don't care if it comes from Shelby or not. If I wait on those knuckleheads for everything, I'll be dead first.

Yeah right, sorry bout that... I didn't realize that everyone was complaining about Shelby not offering a big brake package that would fit behind the stock 18's which, of course, the calipers would have to have his name on them. I thought maybe there were concerns about actually being able to stop these cars without having to go out and buy special offset wheels in addition to the brakes.

Yeah right, sorry bout that... I didn't realize that everyone was complaining about Shelby not offering a big brake package that would fit behind the stock 18's which, of course, the cailpers would have to have his name on them. I thought maybe there were concerns about actually being able to stop these cars without having to go out and buy special offset wheels in addition to the brakes.

I totally agree...

LIke I said, guys...the Wilwood 14" six piston set-up fits bebind the 18" Shelby GT wheels with no prob.

Fred

Thank you Fred. That is just the excellent info I have been looking for. Are there more than one Willwood setup - just so I don´t get the wrong kit?

Thank you

Anders

However, since Shelby has a partership with Baer, I doubt you will see something from another brake maufacturer.

Ya 'kno...The deeper we dig in to this, the deeper it gets.

Baer doesn't make it's own calipers. They are made by PBR, a major "behind the scenes" supplier to many manfacturers for production and aftermarket upgrade kits. My Marauders used the same two pot GT-Plus caliper shown in the SPP catalogue, and it was designed for the Corvette with a minor change in mounting hardware.

Once again, it's not the internal diameter of the stock SGT wheel that's the problem, it's wheel offset. The stock SGT wheel is a 45mm offset, and you need a 50mm (or better) offset for the spokes to clear the caliper. That's why the GT 500 wheels fit. (if you prefer backspace numbers, the stock SGT wheels have a 6.82" backspace, and the GT 500 wheels have a 7.125" backspace).

http://www.pbr.com.au/products/original/brakecalipers.shtml

More sh*t in the game, eh?

Thank you Fred. That is just the excellent info I have been looking for. Are there more than one Willwood setup - just so I don´t get the wrong kit?

Thank you

Anders

Anders,

I'll try to get the Wilwood part number for you tomorrow...The shop is closed today. BTW, they did this converssion on several 07 SGT's and it worked out mint.

Fred

Thank you

Anders

OK,

Here you go. The front brake kit, which includes the 14" rotors, 6 piston calipers, pads, bkts, hardware and detailed instructions, is # 140-9110. You will also need the flex hose kit, which is # 140-9110.

For the rear, the Steeda kit that relocates the factory caliper to fit over a larger rotor works just fine. I don't have the part number of that handy, but it's a very commone upgrade and Steeda sell a ton of these so there should be no confusion about the kit regardless of where you buy it.

And as an added bonus for those who may care, according to James at Wilwood, the "Wilwood" name is only lazer etched into the surface of the caliper. He said it wouldn't take much to sand and then polish a natural finished caliper or re-powdercoat a colored one to remove the name.

Hope this helps.

Fred

For the rear, the Steeda kit that relocates the factory caliper to fit over a larger rotor works just fine. I don't have the part number of that handy, but it's a very commone upgrade and Steeda sell a ton of these so there should be no confusion about the kit regardless of where you buy it.

Hey there,

We are a Steeda Warehouse distributor. The rear relocation kit PN is 555-6007 for the cross-drilled kit, and 555-6009 for the slotted kit.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Thanks

Page

Anders.

There you bud...doesn't get any better than this... Thanks guys...

Fred,

When you say the Wilwood 149-9110 will fit have you installed that or is that just going from a spec somewhere? There seems to be some conflicting spec info out there. I have to admit the Summit stuff implies GT will fit, but I have to wonder.

I'm desperately not trying to put a monkey wrench in this because I'd just decided this was the way I was going too, then I pulled a wheel today on my 07SGT and measured and "Oh cr*p" is the polite words that I said :banghead:

If you check out TCE Performance, http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/cgi-...ws.pl?record=25, scroll down the the S197 link below the Plus 2 kit description, http://www.wilwood.com/PDF/ds521.pdf and this pdf, page 3, TCE says take the 0.97" clearance and add 0.42". That's 1.39" clearance needed. I just measured from the back of the SGT wheel face to the inside of the spoke at the outer edge and got 1.08". Further, the center to rim needs 8.10" or 16.2 diameter and all I could measure was 15.75. So it looks like we have neither the spoke clearance or the rim diameter to fit. Yes I'm confused here!

Note I don't think there is any question stock GT500 wheels will clear this, but GT (and our SGT by extension) and GT500 are a world of difference in wheel specs.

Todd

07SGT1638

Guys, Baer has a 6 piston that fits the Shleby Gt, they say shelby and they come in color matching. If this is not what your looking for, sorry, just breezing thru

amy

Guys, Baer has a 6 piston that fits the Shleby Gt, they say shelby and they come in color matching. If this is not what your looking for, sorry, just breezing thru

amy

Amy that may be huge news.

Are you sure? It fits behind the stock 18" Shelby GT wheels without any modification? It isn't a issue of a kit that fits on the Shelby GT. It is an issue of a kit that fits behind the stock 18" wheels. Everything we have been told for the last year by John, Bud, Keith and others is that there is no big brake package that fits behind the stock 18" wheels. Can you give us the part number?

Thank You,

Chris

Todd (and the group),

The Wilwood six piston package that I noted in my post to Anders does absolutely, 100%, without a doubt, no ifs, ands, or buts, fit behind the stock 18" SGT wheel. One of the local shops here on Long Island has done two conversions, and my only regret is that I didn't have a camera with me at the time to grab a picture.....The set-up works great and fills out the 18" wheel just perfectly.

As a matter of fact, I'll call the shop tomorrow and see if I can't get a phone number or e-mail address for either one of the SGT owners. I'm sure I can convince him/them to email me a few pics of the front wheels.

Fred

Archived