TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Warranty advice

ppd412

Bought an 08 GT500 in Aug of 07 and need some advice. At this time, it's been in the garage since Nov 07, covered, with a battery tender on it, and has 370 miles as of this time. I'm wondering if it should go to the dealer for any kind of checkup to maintain the warranty. Also as far as oil changes, any recommendations for the low miles I put on it? It will probably be back on the road in March and I presume by the end of the summer I may have 1000-1500 miles on it. I hate to have to take it to the dealer for anything if I don't have too. Any advice will be appreciated.

:dreamy:

i wouldnt think you have any reason to take it back for warranty. i have always understood that you need to change the oil every 6 months, but that was with alot older cars and not the oil we have today. but your question was about warranty and taking it back to the dealer. no reason to bring it back.

michael morris

i wouldnt think you have any reason to take it back for warranty. i have always understood that you need to change the oil every 6 months, but that was with alot older cars and not the oil we have today. but your question was about warranty and taking it back to the dealer. no reason to bring it back.

michael morris

+1

It's my understanding that car companies can no longer deny warranty claims because recommended periodic maintenance was not performed at a dealer. Meaning you can change your own oil or take it elsewhere.

Bought an 08 GT500 in Aug of 07 and need some advice. At this time, it's been in the garage since Nov 07, covered, with a battery tender on it, and has 370 miles as of this time. I'm wondering if it should go to the dealer for any kind of checkup to maintain the warranty. Also as far as oil changes, any recommendations for the low miles I put on it? It will probably be back on the road in March and I presume by the end of the summer I may have 1000-1500 miles on it. I hate to have to take it to the dealer for anything if I don't have too. Any advice will be appreciated.

You don't need to do anything..... Although if it has been sitting in one place for that length of time I would recommend having the car up on jack stands to eliminate flat spotting the tires..

Here is an online Ford Maintenance Schedule. You can enter your vin number or just enter 2008 Ford GT500.

http://www.genuineservice.com/genuineservi...fault?page=Home

As someone else mentioned the scheduled service does not have to be performed by a Ford dealer but in my case I have the dealer do it. Mainly because they send me coupons for $16.95 oil & filter changes and at that price who needs to crawl under their car.

Besides the low price the other reason I let the dealer do the LOF changes is because I have an extended warranty and with an all aluminum 4V per cyclinder engine I'm not giving Ford any chance of denying a claim.

Don't forget that just because you are only putting a 1k miles a year on the car doesn't mean you can wait 7 years on the oil change. Oil is cheap insurance on a long engine life.

Steve

Living in NC I've never had to store a car during winter months, however I've ridden motorcycles for 40+ years and being on several motorcycle forums I know that the general consensus is that guys in colder climates that do store their bikes for the winter all say; change the oil before storing as well as adding stabil to the gas and top off the tank. The full tank prevents condensation while stored and even though you may not have many miles on the oil in the crankcase, there are contaminates from fuel that can damage the engine if left in for long periods of time. I would think that the same guidelines would be appropriate for cars being stored. An oil change is cheap insurance for a Shelby that hopefully you'll own for a long time. As Shelbymotorsports mentioned, if you go on line to the Ford Service site you can put in your average mileage, actually state your current mileage and purchase date so the dealer will quit bugging you about being late for service. Hope this helps.

Jim

Thanks for the input everyone. The car is on jackstands and there is gas stabilizer in the tank. I have a trickle charger on the battery also. I am planning on changing the oil and filter myself in the fall before I put it away for the season. My concern was mainly ford trying to deny any warranty service(hopefully never needed), if I don't bring it to a dealer for any scheduled maintenance.

Thanks for the input everyone. The car is on jackstands and there is gas stabilizer in the tank. I have a trickle charger on the battery also. I am planning on changing the oil and filter myself in the fall before I put it away for the season. My concern was mainly ford trying to deny any warranty service(hopefully never needed), if I don't bring it to a dealer for any scheduled maintenance.

For DYI oil changes make sure you keep your store receipt showing the date and items purchased. I even tear the top off of the oil filter box and staple it to my receipt with the cars miles written on it.

This is sufficient proof that you kept up with the scheduled service for the warranty.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
For DYI oil changes make sure you keep your store receipt showing the date and items purchased. I even tear the top off of the oil filter box and staple it to my receipt with the cars miles written on it.

This is sufficient proof that you kept up with the scheduled service for the warranty.

Steve

Hi guys/girls,

I'm new to this site and have an 07 GT500 with only a little over 300 miles on it. How are the jacks supposed to be positioned when storing the car? Do you put them under the axle/front suspension? Will it hurt the shocks/springs? I work in Iraq and my wife won't drive the car. I want the car to stay looking and driving as new for a long time and want to store it correctly. I fill the tank and check the air before putting it away each time I get home.

Thanks for any assistance!

A trickle charger will trash your battery.

You need a battery tender.

Hi guys/girls,

I'm new to this site and have an 07 GT500 with only a little over 300 miles on it. How are the jacks supposed to be positioned when storing the car? Do you put them under the axle/front suspension? Will it hurt the shocks/springs? I work in Iraq and my wife won't drive the car. I want the car to stay looking and driving as new for a long time and want to store it correctly. I fill the tank and check the air before putting it away each time I get home.

Thanks for any assistance!

Welcome to Team Shelby.

My advice is that unless the car is going to be stored for many, many years do not bother with the jackstands. Tire manufacturers all agree that modern tires do not flat spot.

Before storing the car I would have nitrogen air put in the tires and show your wife where the tire gauge is and ask her to check the pressure every few months.

If you're set against the car sitting on it's tires then my next suggestion is to purchase a set of cheap steel wheels, have an inexpensive set of tires mounted on them and swap them with the factory wheels/tires that can then be stored away.

The goal is to have the car on some sort of wheels so that in an emergency the car can be rolled out of the garage. Here in SoCal many expensive cars have burned because they were up on jackstands and while the fire department was able to roll the mini-van out of the garage the collector car went up in flames.

Steve

Welcome to Team Shelby.

My advice is that unless the car is going to be stored for many, many years do not bother with the jackstands. Tire manufacturers all agree that modern tires do not flat spot.

Before storing the car I would have nitrogen air put in the tires and show your wife where the tire gauge is and ask her to check the pressure every few months.

If you're set against the car sitting on it's tires then my next suggestion is to purchase a set of cheap steel wheels, have an inexpensive set of tires mounted on them and swap them with the factory wheels/tires that can then be stored away.

The goal is to have the car on some sort of wheels so that in an emergency the car can be rolled out of the garage. Here in SoCal many expensive cars have burned because they were up on jackstands and while the fire department was able to roll the mini-van out of the garage the collector car went up in flames.

Steve

Thanks for the advice Steve, I will have to look into the nitrogen air since my wife doesn't drive it once in a while for me. The extra wheels sound like a good option. I will have to show her the tire gauge again :hysterical: so she can keep an eye on them.

Thanks again,

George

Welcome to Team Shelby.

Steve

Mine is in the garage from Nov till about the middle of March. I pull it out about once a month and just drive it around the block a few times to keep oil in the top of the engine. I guess I can forget about the jackstands and the nitrogen then.

Thanks Steve

Rick

Archived