TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Evo Stage 2 dyno results (what a day)

txshavers

Ok so this has been one heck of a day....Installed the Evo Stage 2 last week, and today made a few pulls to check out the numbers. Car was not dynoed stock so I have no idea what the gains were.

First pull- The car was experiencing a pretty bad engine knock, so the operator pulled out of the run. He also noticed that the car was running in the 12.8 range for a/f which a bit lean. So he loaded up my X3 and added 6% fuel at WOT and made another pull with someone at the front of the engine listening for more knocking. Second pull was a full pull and the guy at the front didn't hear any knocking at all. a/f was too rich, actually dropped below 11.0 so he backed off on the fuel and made another pull. Third pull got us an 11.8 avg a/f but only netted 509 at the wheels, which seems a bit low for a stage 2. I figured that since this was the third pull, that heatsoak might be an issue, so we let the car sit for about 10-15 min and made one final pull. Coolant tems defiently dropped and netted 527hp and 519 tq. Air fuel was 11.0-11.2 but the operator said that it would probably lean up a bit once the car warmed up. This was sae corrected with Evo 91octane tune. I've emailed Fred because the engine knock concerns me. I'll post graphs and video shortly.

Ok so this has been one heck of a day....Installed the Evo Stage 2 last week, and today made a few pulls to check out the numbers. Car was not dynoed stock so I have no idea what the gains were.

First pull- The car was experiencing a pretty bad engine knock, so the operator pulled out of the run. He also noticed that the car was running in the 12.8 range for a/f which a bit lean. So he loaded up my X3 and added 6% fuel at WOT and made another pull with someone at the front of the engine listening for more knocking. Second pull was a full pull and the guy at the front didn't hear any knocking at all. a/f was too rich, actually dropped below 11.0 so he backed off on the fuel and made another pull. Third pull got us an 11.8 avg a/f but only netted 509 at the wheels, which seems a bit low for a stage 2. I figured that since this was the third pull, that heatsoak might be an issue, so we let the car sit for about 10-15 min and made one final pull. Coolant tems defiently dropped and netted 527hp and 519 tq. Air fuel was 11.0-11.2 but the operator said that it would probably lean up a bit once the car warmed up. This was sae corrected with Evo 91octane tune. I've emailed Fred because the engine knock concerns me. I'll post graphs and video shortly.

Please let us know. I have the stage one installed and once I get a few more miles plan on the stage two (Evo/JLT). Did you install a bung for the O2 sensor on the passenger side in front of the cat for your air/fuel?

The a/f was taken directly in the cat sensor, not sure which side, but I'm suspecting it was the drivers side. Spoke with Fred today and he said that the engine knock was due to an inefficient load on the dyno. Should be getting an updated tune soon.

Please let us know. I have the stage one installed and once I get a few more miles plan on the stage two (Evo/JLT). Did you install a bung for the O2 sensor on the passenger side in front of the cat for your air/fuel?

The knock is odd for 2 reasons.

1) I have never had a Evo tune car knock

2) You don't normally "hear" knock like in the past. Aluminum heads and parts "usually" will not make loud knock that can be heard.

Your numbers are pretty much right on par. I've have many pulley cars in the 525+ range.

Temp plays a HUGE role.

10-15 minutes is not a good cool down.

If you can, data log coolant temps and you will see it takes 30-50 minutes to bring a 200 degree car to 170 or so.

You could have easily been 190 on your last "cool down"run.

Drop that down to 160-165 and your numbers will climb.

I was at 530 @ 190 and hit 540 @ 165-170.

Fans are a big deal as well.

One big fan is usually not enough. Many high power fans should be used.

Sounds like Freds helping you out.

Jay

Thanks for the resoonse Jay. I've never heard of an Evo tune knock as well. Another member on this board, I believe Beekay, had a stage 1 knock on him but that was with another sponsered tune. I didn't hear it at all, could have been something vibrating inside the car. I believe I had some change in the armrest, but who knows. I figured that my numbers would be a bit higher if we let the car really cool down, probably more into the 530 range, but all the tuner was willing to do was 15min, as I had already done three runs, which were pretty much back to back, about as long as it takes to load a tune. So that was probably a factor. I did recieve the log files from the runs, so I'm able to pretty much view anything, which i've forwarded over to Fred. Not sure what I can do about the load issue that Fred mentioned, but i'm sure Fred will come up with something. My IAT2 for the highest run was 118 and IAT was 36, which is just a bit lower than the run before. Those seem pretty low as far as temps go, but I know nothing about tuning

The knock is odd for 2 reasons.

1) I have never had a Evo tune car knock

2) You don't normally "hear" knock like in the past. Aluminum heads and parts "usually" will not make loud knock that can be heard.

Your numbers are pretty much right on par. I've have many pulley cars in the 525+ range.

Temp plays a HUGE role.

10-15 minutes is not a good cool down.

If you can, data log coolant temps and you will see it takes 30-50 minutes to bring a 200 degree car to 170 or so.

You could have easily been 190 on your last "cool down"run.

Drop that down to 160-165 and your numbers will climb.

I was at 530 @ 190 and hit 540 @ 165-170.

Fans are a big deal as well.

One big fan is usually not enough. Many high power fans should be used.

Sounds like Freds helping you out.

Jay

I think you answered your own questions.

I don't think you had knock.

3 back to back runs with only tune loading time in between is enough to only heat up the engine.

15 minutes is no where near enough time to cool down a 210 degree engine.

Find a shop that will allow you to run cool and you got a 530-540 RWHP car on your hands.

Now that all depends on how bad you want that paper.

If it runs great, which I know it does :) then have fun with it.

If you want piece of mind, go back or find a shop that will allow you to be cool and or data log coolant temps and run at a bteer temp.

Heat is a dyno number killer. 10 degrees means alot. I saw this on Friday myself!!!

Have fun

Jay

Thanks Jay,

Yeah next time i'll make sure to take anything that could rattle around out of the car, but if he thought he heard it, I'm glad he pulled out of the run. I wonder if there's a way to tell with a log file if there was knocking. I'll just patiently await a new tune from Fred, and go from there. Right now the a/f is all over the place, I'm thinking it was the added fuel. He added it at WOT, and not sure if it be added in specific areas of the rpm range. Thanks for your response.

I think you answered your own questions.

I don't think you had knock.

3 back to back runs with only tune loading time in between is enough to only heat up the engine.

15 minutes is no where near enough time to cool down a 210 degree engine.

Find a shop that will allow you to run cool and you got a 530-540 RWHP car on your hands.

Now that all depends on how bad you want that paper.

If it runs great, which I know it does :) then have fun with it.

If you want piece of mind, go back or find a shop that will allow you to be cool and or data log coolant temps and run at a bteer temp.

Heat is a dyno number killer. 10 degrees means alot. I saw this on Friday myself!!!

Have fun

Jay

• 5 months later...

Archived