TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT Detailing

ShowCar

Mark, I have to disagree with the NO Carnauba wax statement. Believe it or not Ive seen enough of these decals to know the waxed or sealed stripes verses not being waxed. The waxed stripes hold up much better. The stripe company doesnt want the customer to mess with the stripes in anyway so they put out this statement. Protecting the stripes is the only way to get them to hold up to our harsh enviorment. Now its entirely up to the consumer to decide which is best. I believe as a owner and caretaker of many shelby's it is safe to wax the stripes.

Just got off the phone with Orocal. The stripes they furnished for '07 were model 870 and speculation is that they were clear coated prior to install by SAI. Otherwise they just wouldn't last long in the sun. In fact, this media is not warranteed for install in our application (only within 10deg of vertical).

So waxing them is OK as they are cleared, but only with a silicone based wax, not carnuba I'm told.

Two tips were given to me: Make sure they stay clean and dry (duh) if they sit dirty for more than 2 weeks you're in for it and avoid moisture i.e. storing under cover outside were moisture could condense on the stripes and cause spotting.

I was also told that starting this year Jan '08 they switched to the 970RA media which comes with a clear laminate. Not sure if SAI is clearing these or not.

It's too bad we got a lame product that requires careful maintenance instead of doing it the right way - painting them on like they did in the good old days.....

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Showcar,

Please add me to the list of those who have thanked you for all the knowledge you have shared. I just finished reading the thread top to bottom. If I was to buy a electric buffer (maybe not the right thing to call it), what would you recommend? Also, what pads would I need? My car is not one with any problems. I have kept it clean and garaged. Now I would like to start caring for it using a buffer. Thanks for any tips you can give.

Jim

Jim, Sorry I didnt get back to you sooner. I was in Las Vegas for a week.The machine is called Dual action Polisher. I would recommend the Porter Cable 7424 with multiple speeds.Meguiars sells this machine. Its user friendly and light. In your case on a well maintained vehicle I would buy a two polishing pads and a finishing pad from Meguiars. I like the Meguiars pads because they have velcro backing plates. The part numbers are #8006(yellow pad) and #9006(tan pad). Purchase my Show Car Clay Kit,Polish, Glaze, and Wet Wax and your Vista Blue will look Awesome. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Kahmann, six months is long enough. Prep the paint first with clay, polish, and a glaze then use wax or sealant. Even new paint needs prep.

I have a special right now for you TS members. Buy $100.00 worth of product or get a detail over $100.00 dollars and Ill give you a FREE wash mitt and drying towel. These products are valued at $25.00. Keep in mind the order must be $100.00 before tax and shipping.

DSC01370.jpg

Steve,

I just noticed two small, very light white spots on my light bar (08 convertible). I suspect, but do not know, that someone in the body shop touched the light bar when looking at the rear window (I took it in for them to repair the rear window) leaving a fingerprint of maybe paint. Any suggestions of what I should try to remove them? I have not touched them at all.

Chuck

Hey Steve, This thread has been a wealth of information for everyone!! Thanks for taking the time to respond to all of our questions!! Now for mine.

1. Is a glaze really necessary (will it make that much of a difference in the outcome) between a polish and the Wax? Your Recommendations?

2. And will a Porter Cable (7424) make that much of a difference in the outcome of how my Vista Blue GT500 will look vs doing it by hand? Is it really(which is definitely important to me) about saving time & effort ? Can I mess my Paint up in the Learning Process?

Thank's, Chuck.

Chuck, Glaze isnt needed if you are not looking for that Show Car shine. The fact is glazes are loaded with petroleum and give the finish that wet look. So glaze actually helps repel moisture and dust. I love Glaze on dark cars. When you park two cars side by side of the same color its obvious which was glazed. At least to me. LOL Try glaze on one side of the hood on the vista blue, you will see a diiference.

The polisher will make a Huge difference too. It applies constant pressure and speed on the surface, something the human body cannot for a long period of time. Yes, you can hurt the paint by using the wrong pads, polishes, compounds, and machine speed. Practice on a "beater car" before you touch the Shelby. One of the reasons I came out with my own product line was to stop confusing the consumer or

Therapy Detailer.(Those who bought my products to relax understand) All of my products are safe except the Scratch remover. They are safe and effective against the elements and operator error. Hope this answers your questions?

Here's a little tip from something i've been doing and haven't seen any ill-affects from it (yet). For glass, I take about 4-5 sheets of soft paper towel and pour rubbing alcohol into the middle of it about the size of the palm of my hand. I then use it on the exterior/interior windows (non-tinted internals) and then buff with a soft cloth and the windows look AMAZING! Has anyone done anything similar or know of anything that could casue problems. I'm careful for it not to hit rubber parts/painted areas, but i'm telling you it gets rid of all that smudgy/haze. Anyway just a thought.

ShowCar,

My wife has a Dark Grey CRV and we always take her car to go to the beach with our children.

We can see on the car some hand prints in white. I think it is sunscreen lotion because sometime we put the sunscreen home before we leave to not mess with the sand...

Is there a way to get rid of this? We wash the car and it always come back once the car is dry.

Let me know if you want to see some pictures.

Thanks.

Slamarre, If its sunscreen try simple green or a citrus cleaner on the spots only. Spray it on and let it soak. Hopefully the lotion isnt baked into the clearcoat. Japanese Imports generally have softer clearcoat from the factory. And since you are in Florida the sun and heat dont help. The only other step is to remove it out with a machine. Good Luck.

Slamarre, If its sunscreen try simple green or a citrus cleaner on the spots only. Spray it on and let it soak. Hopefully the lotion isnt baked into the clearcoat. Japanese Imports generally have softer clearcoat from the factory. And since you are in Florida the sun and heat dont help. The only other step is to remove it out with a machine. Good Luck.

ShowCar,

Those marks are there since a while so i assume that it is probably baked.

What kind of machine you are talking about? The Porter Cable Rotary tool or something else?

Do you think that any good detailing place could get rid of this?

Thanks.

You could try the Porter Cable with some scratch remover and a compounding foam pad. But if you arent careful you could scour the paint. Im referring to a rotary buffer. It could be removed by a good detail shop.

ShowCar,

Clay bar the glass? I'll have to try it!

I've got some minor pitting from sand, dirt, etc., think it will help or do I need something more abrasive?

The alcohol trick mentioned above I have heard of, except it was a de-natured alcohol and water mix (50/50). Don't know if the rubbing alcohol makes any difference, I'll have to google chemical properties.

Sam

AKA:

Sam, if the glass is pitted clay wont help. I can polish glass to remove minor pitting, minor scratches and chips. Alcohol of anykind will clean glass. Try it on the wiper blades to remove film and dirt and the blades work much better. Then use a silicone spray on a rag to lube the rubber.

Sam, if the glass is pitted clay wont help. I can polish glass to remove minor pitting, minor scratches and chips. Alcohol of anykind will clean glass. Try it on the wiper blades to remove film and dirt and the blades work much better. Then use a silicone spray on a rag to lube the rubber.

If I may ask, what do you use to polish the glass with? I really worry about getting permanent swirl marks and or scratches in the glass!

Sam

AKA:

Sam, I use a specific glass polish for pros. If you do it right there will be no damage done to the glass. I dont recomend this for the DIY. I use it all the time on old musclecars where glass is hard to replace. I even use it on new cars to get rid of wiper marks on the windshield.

Hi Show Car. Been meaning to post, but too many car shows recently. I met a guy from Atlanta 3-4 weeks ago at show in NC and we were looking under his hood. He commented that he had not been able to find anything that he liked for dressing up under the hood. I told him to wait here and went to my car and came back with the KlearCote and applicator and told him to try this. He fell in love with it just like I did! I gave him the information to order as he couldn't wait to get home to order for himself. I ran into him again this past weekend at another car show in Savannah and instead of waving, he held up his bottle of KlearCote with a big smile. We have since become good friends. Thought you would like to know. Thanks, Craig

69, Are the wheels stock polished rims that came on the shelby? If they are, certain polishes can dull the finish. The finish is actually clearcoated and should be treated like your paint. Car wash brushes are notorious for dulling these rims too.

DSC01384.jpg

This wheel was in rough shape. I clayed it and used my Show Car Wheel seal on it and look at the wheel.It looks brand new.

Try to clay the glass and see the difference. You would be suprised how much dirt is embedded in the glass.

Steve, those are the type wheels I have. My car is pretty much a garage queen. It has 4. 500+ miles in a year but over 3,000+ miles were just in transit to storage. I used a wheel cleaner and polish but it remained dull. I was surprised at how dull since the car is new. I will try your recommendation.

Thank you 69

Hi Show Car. Been meaning to post, but too many car shows recently. I met a guy from Atlanta 3-4 weeks ago at show in NC and we were looking under his hood. He commented that he had not been able to find anything that he liked for dressing up under the hood. I told him to wait here and went to my car and came back with the KlearCote and applicator and told him to try this. He fell in love with it just like I did! I gave him the information to order as he couldn't wait to get home to order for himself. I ran into him again this past weekend at another car show in Savannah and instead of waving, he held up his bottle of KlearCote with a big smile. We have since become good friends. Thought you would like to know. Thanks, Craig

The clearkote you used, was it the vinyl/rubber dressing?

Craig, Im glad you and your new friend like the products. Do you have pictures of the engine after the dressing was applied? Send them to me and Ill put them on my website.

will do. Shows are winding down now and I'll send you some pics soon. Oh, 1st place in Savannah and then another 1st place in Charleston the following weekend! Must be the KlearCote! Craig :happy feet:

Archived