TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT Detailing

ShowCar

This is what most people use to "DETAIL" cars.

Mostpeoplesdetailcollection.jpg

:hysterical2:

On a serious note,If any fellow Shelby owners have Detail questions Feel free to PM me.I own a detail business and dont like what I see from most enthusiasts.Some people actually use the stuff you see above. Let me state Im not here to make money just to help with advice.

Remember there are no dumb questions just dumb mistakes.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the offer !!!

Ok...I will start out !

Should you clay bar each time you polish? Can you clay bar too often?

and oh....I do the Blackfire polish and put a thin coat of carnuba over the top. How often can I reapply carnuba before I should polish again?

Thanks !

You should clay before polishing.If its not aggressive clay then NO you cant clay to much.Blackfire is a good product.What type of Carnauba do you use? Good wax lasts a long time on show cars.Daily Drivers last about 1-6 months. It really a matter of preference.Heres the basic formula,

Clay,Polish,Glaze-twice a year.

Wax, Seal- twice a year.

If you are a detail junky, every 3months. If fallout is a problem.Especially in California after a wildfire.Let your hands and eyes be the judge.

How do you know if the Clay is aggressive? I have Zaino clay. I was a Zaino fanatic, but recently bought a Meguiars G-100 along with # 80 and #82 and NTX. So far I think I like Zaino better. I do not know anyone that puts Zaino on with a R/O though. Maybe I should just take it off with one, but Zaino is so easy to take off it may take longer with the R/O.

You should clay before polishing.If its not aggressive clay then NO you cant clay to much.Blackfire is a good product.What type of Carnauba do you use? Good wax lasts a long time on show cars.Daily Drivers last about 1-6 months. It really a matter of preference.Heres the basic formula,

Wax, Seal- twice a year.

If you are a detail junky, every 3months. If fallout is a problem.Especially in California after a wildfire.Let your hands and eyes be the judge.

What is & how do you Glaze

This is what most people use to "DETAIL" cars.

On a serious note,If any fellow Shelby owners have Detail questions Feel free to PM me.I own a detail business and dont like what I see from most enthusiasts.Some people actually use the stuff you see above. Let me state Im not here to make money just to help with advice.

Remember there are no dumb questions just dumb mistakes.

I swear sometimes people's alliance to a given product or product line, at times, borders on fanatical. Today there are so many choices who knows which brand or process is the best. I don't have time! So since I am in not too far away you'll be seeing me with my car come spring to start the new show season off right!

:-)

Wax, Seal- twice a year.

The carnuba I have is also Blackfire. I have a car show coming up in a few weeks, and I am just not sure I will have time to do the polish routine. It was November when I last clayed and polished. I was hoping I could sneak by with just a quick wax for this show. My car is a daily driver, but always in a garage when parked.

Youll know if clay is aggresive by the label on the box.LOL Seriously the clay is alot harder and usually not a over the counter clay.If you buy Meguiars,Mothers, Clay Magic they all say whether they are aggresive or not. Aggressive clay can actually marr the paint and in most cases scratch from improper use.

Glaze is a form of a polish but it really brings out the paint on a darker car like black.Glaze is breathable and can offer minimal protection.I would glaze fresh paint but not wax it due to new paint needing to cure. Detail products really are a science.There is no one size fits all Polish,wax,sealant.

Carnut on white I would recommend clay,#80,#7 and #21 sealant. I used this on my GT/CS and it always looked HOT!!! NXT is ok over the counter product.Its not going to floor you.

DSC00272.jpg

Look closely you will see a house reflecting in the drivers door.

Youll know if clay is aggresive by the label on the box.LOL Seriously the clay is alot harder and usually not a over the counter clay.If you buy Meguiars,Mothers, Clay Magic they all say whether they are aggresive or not. Aggressive clay can actually marr the paint and in most cases scratch from improper use.

Glaze is a form of a polish but it really brings out the paint on a darker car like black.Glaze is breathable and can offer minimal protection.I would glaze fresh paint but not wax it due to new paint needing to cure. Detail products really are a science.There is no one size fits all Polish,wax,sealant.

Carnut on white I would recommend clay,#80,#7 and #21 sealant. I used this on my GT/CS and it always looked HOT!!! NXT is ok over the counter product.Its not going to floor you.

DSC00272.jpg

Look closely you will see a house reflecting in the drivers door.

That white does look good. I only got the NXT because it came in the kit with the other products. I do not have #7 or #21, but will check them out. I have a White Expedition and after I used Zaino it looked unreal. Every-one that saw it asked what kind of wax I used. Anyway, I am willing to try anything.

Simple greene cut 6:1 on a COOL engine works well.Use a soft bristle brush if needed.Blow dry with compressed air.Lastly a dressing that is petroleum free so you dont start a fire under the hood.You can use Meguiars #40, or Clearkote dressing.Then wipe it down to give it a nice sheen not shine.Let the car run to get the motor warm and you are done. Do not use Pressure washers because the computer is under the hood on the right side and its not WATERPROOF.

Engineshot-1.jpg

Most products out there Have cleaners in them even wax.So most of the time you are stripping off the previous layer of whatever you put on before.Yes you can use Dawn once.Do not make it your go to soap. Any soap will remove wax if you add more to the wash water.If I want to strip paint down for a fresh start I use a auto soap and Clay the whole car.Clay removes everything even wax.The problem is Dawn or any other dish soap is designed to remove Grease and it will dry out seals faster. It can over time destroy decals too. With dish soap its not just the paint you have to worry about.

Interior is tricky because people like different things.Theres really three types of interiors

1.Clean looking

2.Shiny

3.Greasy and cant touch anything.Dust collecting.

I like "clean looking" because anything put on the dash with silicone in it reflects from the dash into the windshield and back at you.If you wear glasses this makes it alot worse on the eyes.Plus you can touch the knobs and not worry about damaging the leather on the steering wheel.

Leather seats are different because we dont have real Leather in the mustang it is a Pleather (Plastic Leather)with a clear on it. You can use any leather cleaner and conditioner but I like Meguiars stuff for this.Reason I say use this is because you would be suprised how much jeans strip away the clear on these seats when not treated.Just from the friction jeans and your weight cause.

As for the engine detail question I dont understand it.

Does the Meguiars seat treatment make the seat look "treated"? I hate the shiny look and despise the greasy look even more. Can't stand any gleam to interior surfaces at all. Hate the used car lot vibe.

Any suggestions besides Meguiars on the seats or is that the least shiny stuff? How about for the dash, and other surfaces? I have been wanting to try the simple green ready wipes, but have not yet had the nerve. I have been using plain old damp microfiber cloths, what do you think? Thanks for a great thread.

i havent seen anything mentioned about the decal stripes on SGT when it comes to waxing...so i figure i ask. when you wax the car do u stay away from the stripes or do u also go over them with wax indescriminantly.

i use Meguiars Cleaner Wax and it really works well on the SGT at least for a daily driver. i normally waxed my vehicles durring change of seasons (which is about 4 times a year since i dont have a garage or a port to park under.) sometimes i waxed the top of vehicles more frequent because of that part being more vunerable.

anyway, when i started off waxing the SGT i tried a little bit on the silver stripes in a amall and obscure place and noticed that on my rag it looked like some of the color from the stripe came off on it. :redcard: i looked on the spot where i tried it on the stripe and it didn't look like any damage or discoloring ocurred, but i avoided waxing the stripes anyway the best i could and just did the paint.

should i use anything other than cleaner wax on the stripes or avoid them alltogether while waxing? i wish they would've put clearcoat over the stripes

i just used one coat since it was first time i waxed with the Meguiars Cleaner Wax brand. i guess it wouldnt make much difference to put more coats on it because the cleaner in the wax would clean off the previous coat would it?

after the wax job i could see the sky and the treetop reflecting off the hood. :headspin:

awwww our seats arent real leather?? :ohsnap:

Theres only two types of leather treatments. One is liquid based which means it gives that "used car lot "look.The other is a lotion thick like hand lotion.This type is the cleaner is better because you can wipe it down with a microfiber towel and get a clean look.Yet it protects the Leather longer.Theres a lot of good ones out there.Shake the bottle and if its thick its probably a good one.If it runny put it down. One last thing about leather treatments is the smell. Some smell clean, like flowers or leather.This will be personel preference.

I use a automotive glass cleaner safe for tint. Dont use Windex. A good cleaner will start at $6 Get yourself two good microfiber towels just for glass. DO NOT use these towels for anything but glass. Alot of people cross contaminate by using it on glass one week then wash them and then use them for wax removal. Spray glass cleaner on the towel(less spray is better) instead of the glass to minimize spots on the dash treatment you just put on. Wipe in any comfortable motion then follow up with the dry microfiber towel.If you did it right the glass will be perfect. Dont use newspaper or terry towels or even paper towels this is old news.

Any type of wipe is a maintance item not a cleaning product. If you are afraid to use something go with your instinct. Simple green has always been my Heavy duty cleaner usually for the underhood or exterior of a vehicle.

Theres only two types of leather treatments. One is liquid based which means it gives that "used car lot "look.The other is a lotion thick like hand lotion.This type is the cleaner is better because you can wipe it down with a microfiber towel and get a clean look.Yet it protects the Leather longer.Theres a lot of good ones out there.Shake the bottle and if its thick its probably a good one.If it runny put it down. One last thing about leather treatments is the smell. Some smell clean, like flowers or leather.This will be personel preference.

I use a automotive glass cleaner safe for tint. Dont use Windex. A good cleaner will start at $6 Get yourself two good microfiber towels just for glass. DO NOT use these towels for anything but glass. Alot of people cross contaminate by using it on glass one week then wash them and then use them for wax removal. Spray glass cleaner on the towel(less spray is better) instead of the glass to minimize spots on the dash treatment you just put on. Wipe in any comfortable motion then follow up with the dry microfiber towel.If you did it right the glass will be perfect. Dont use newspaper or terry towels or even paper towels this is old news.

Any type of wipe is a maintance item not a cleaning product. If you are afraid to use something go with your instinct. Simple green has always been my Heavy duty cleaner usually for the underhood or exterior of a vehicle.

Show car. Thanks for the input on cleaning glass. GUILTY! I have microfiber towels I use then wash, but dont - keep track of what they were used on. Even though I wash them, there is probably residue left behind. I'll buy some in a different color, to use on the windows exclusively. Been using Griot's Glass Cleaner - I may try others if the towels don't fix the problem. Thanks, just wanted to see what I was doing wrong. It was minor - but annoying.

Gary

Keep a simple system

Blue towels=Glass

Yellow=Wax

Green=Polish

and so on.

Griots glass cleaner is good stuff. Go to Target or Walmart and buy some NXT Glass Cleaner I think its better especially for smokers.

Cleaner Wax of anykind is more cleaner than wax. Try a Polish then wax and the outcome will be alot better.The stripes are not a high quality stripe.You can wax them but not Polish or Cleaner wax them. I use a Glaze on the originals. I was thinking of having 3M stripes installed when my Shelby needs them. Those have a real good clear on them and you can treat them like the rest of the car.

Keep a simple system

Blue towels=Glass

Yellow=Wax

Green=Polish

and so on.

Griots glass cleaner is good stuff. Go to Target or Walmart and buy some NXT Glass Cleaner I think its better especially for smokers.

Cleaner Wax of anykind is more cleaner than wax. Try a Polish then wax and the outcome will be alot better.The stripes are not a high quality stripe.You can wax them but not Polish or Cleaner wax them. I use a Glaze on the originals. I was thinking of having 3M stripes installed when my Shelby needs them. Those have a real good clear on them and you can treat them like the rest of the car.

show car,

Thanks for the feedback. (By the way I don't smoke, but I had a guy ask me when I complained about my windows, so I mentioned in my first message). Thanks for the lead on the NXT Cleaner, I'll try it.

I tend to use mostly Griot's products. Do you have experience with their Best in Show wax? I use it on my other cars with good results. Haven't had time to do the Shelby yet - would this be safe on the stripes?

Thanks for taking time to answer our questions.

Gary, Im glad to help. The weather is cold and miserable so I have time right now.Griots is decent wax. The problem in my opinoin is its pricey and the results are soso. The new rollon they sell is pretty funny. Its to thick to use on a polisher correctly. My thought on Waxes and sealants is this and most agree, If Im going to spend lets say 4hrs. on the exterior detailing with a brand of wax I want it to last longer than one rainfall. And I dont want to be to tired to drive the car after. Im going to recommend some brands of waxes and sealants that I use on my details and personel cars.

Meguiars #20,#21(works awesome and lasts six months but not real easy to use for a novice) #26 Carnauba wax. Smells like bananas.

ClearKote Red Moose Glaze and Carnauba Wax I sell this combo to all dark color vehicle owners.(Works even in the Sun.) Lasts six months.

Clearkote Vanilla moose Wax hand Glaze. Great for a one step polish and wax but doesnt last long.

Poorboys EX-P Sealant lasts 3-6months but the easiest sealant to use for a novice.

Optimum Polishes just for polishing. It only comes in 32oz. This stuff doesnt dust like most polishes.

Give these products a try. These arent sold in a autostore. You can find them on the net.

I forgot to address the stripes try it on a small spot on the front bumper and see what happens. I never had any problems on stripes.

I use my shelby to test products all the time before they go on a customers car.

Archived