TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT Detailing

ShowCar

69, use the Carnauba wax on the wheels.They will look outstanding. Try an old piece of clay on them before to remove the embedded dust in the clearcoat. These wheels were from a clients car that he thought were to rough to bring back. These rims are three years old. I got them for free and decided to make a project out of them. They are pitted on the inside of two of the rims. I figured they would make good winter rims for me. I wouldnt worry to much about Patina, The body panels are sealed well and nothing should shoot thru the primer,paint or clearcoat for many years. Chances are the car will need another repaint in 50 years anyway. :hysterical:

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
69, use the Carnauba wax on the wheels.They will look outstanding. Try an old piece of clay on them before to remove the embedded dust in the clearcoat. These wheels were from a clients car that he thought were to rough to bring back. These rims are three years old. I got them for free and decided to make a project out of them. They are pitted on the inside of two of the rims. I figured they would make good winter rims for me. I wouldnt worry to much about Patina, The body panels are sealed well and nothing should shoot thru the primer,paint or clearcoat for many years. Chances are the car will need another repaint in 50 years anyway. :hysterical:

Thank you Steve. I doubt if I will see 50 more as I would be well over 100. As soon as I finish with the products I have I will be calling you to purchase your products. You have certainly earned the business of people on this site!!!

Thank you Steve. I doubt if I will see 50 more as I would be well over 100. As soon as I finish with the products I have I will be calling you to purchase your products. You have certainly earned the business of people on this site!!!

He sure has. :spend::yup:

Steve,

We are doing 5000 miles in the spring (Mustangs Across America OH-Vegas-Birmingham-OH) which will include at least some back roads. I really do not want to install a bra (on the car) both for appearance and because I have heard they will often flap in the wind and damage the finish.

Would it work to run some clear tape along the leading edge of the hood and other damage prone areas? I guess what I am really asking is if it will come off fairly simply and not damage the finish...or is there something else you could recommend?

Thanks,

Steve

HA HA HA HA....You guys call yourselves "detailers".... :hysterical2:

How many of you actually crawl under your car and wipe the bottom of it down???

Have any of you ever taken your wheels off just to wipe all the gunk off of the back side of them that you cant get to with the wheel on the car??

Guilty! I waxed the beautiful blue sway bars and coil springs one afternoon. Is that sick? I even hit the oil pan and the differential cover with a quick shot of detailing spray while I was under there!

I even dressed the "insides" of the tires...

I need help :drool:

Boss Bronco, I use compressed air and I carry Microfiber drying towels that measure 25x36 and will dry off a Shelby with just one towel.

http://www.showcardetail.com/ShowCarProducts.html

ShowCar,

I just received the wash mitt and large drying towel today. Nice looking products. Thanks for the fast shipping.

You might make me try some of your other stuff in the future!

Gofastguy, I have been using 3M blue painters tape on cars for a while now. Its safe on the paint and comes off easy compared to any other tape out there. It wont look pretty but will help. You can get this tape at Walmart, Target, Ace Hardware, and Home Depot.

One Quik Pony, I carry undercarriage spray just for the underside. It will be up for sale on my website soon.

Joker45, Glad you are happy with the products. Thank you for the order.

rhood,

Nothing different than the usual vinyl care needed. Treat black vinyl like black paint, use care and it will look good for a long time.

Hi,

I just got my car back from a repaint (due to accident). The flat black stripes are painted and the hood need to be cured. I have several ?:

1. How long to cure? Per shop 30 days. Light wash/wax is ok.

2. Per Body shop--DO NOT WAX stripes. Well this is odd to me. I've been washing/waxing them for a year and had not issues with them "shining up" so am unsure why they cant be waxed? Are there waxes that will protect but not throw a big shine on?

3. I've got crome wheels and hood pins. I do not have a buffer. Can I hand polish out slight scratches/imperfections? What products.

I've used Ice wash/wax and polish. My car is silver which I believe is the easiest to keep looking nice. Any thoughts on other products...would I use the same as the advice for the white cars? Again the flat black throws things a bit..

Thanks

Stargazer423, The SHOW CAR products are better. Reason is very simple, I offer a variety of products for every part of the vehicle. The protection and wetness is about the same on the waxes, the sealant however lasts longer. The car wash solution I offer can be more aggresive if needed(add more to the bucket) like Dawn Dish soap but it wont strip the paint, decals, weatherstrip and so on. The vinyl and rubber dressing gets the same result only the SHOW CAR dressing smells nice and is just a tad glossier. I spent alot of time researching so it makes it easier for the DIY to get what you need for the detail. Yet the results will be outstanding.

PJo, Waxing the car is fine. Waxing the stripes is fine too. Just wait 30 days per their requset. I use SHOW CAR Polish,Wet Glaze and even on silver and white the color comes out more. Then I follow up with a coat of SHOW CAR Sealant and the paint just stands out.

Scratches require scratch remover but it will only work on light scratches by hand. I need to see the scratch to determine if it will come out. I also carry metal polish for the wheels and pins. Contact me so we can talk more. 773-612-1332.

Craig, thank you for the order. It will ship today.

Showcar,

I searched the topic and didn't find anything on valve covers. I am really disappointed in the valve covers on the 07SGT and have not found anything yet to clean. I have read articles about wet sanding, etc. Have you found anything that will clean these nasty looking covers up? I really don't want to spend the $$$ on powder coated covers.

post-10682-1221679408.gif

post-10682-1221679408.gif

I autocross my car. This means I hit 18" orange traffic cones at varying speeds. It is what I bought the car('07Black SGT) for and I am having a blast. I have many coats of Zaino and use detail spray before I compete. The detail spray helps the cones slide off the car without doing much paint damage. That being said, the side rockers take a beating. My system for removing the more stubborn cone marks is to use a fast flash solvent (denatured alcohol) to remove the cone rubber residue and dirt. If the marks are still there, I use NiCad(sp?) 10,000 grit with a foam pad on a regular drill. The follow up with the Zaino products. I would like to use something with a little more cut than the NiCad product. I tried Meguiars #44 Marine color restorer. It has too much cut and leaves marks that are hard to remove. Can you suggest something I can remove the cone marks with that has less cutting power than the Meguiars #44? And what I can use to remove the marks the compound will leave?? I prefer to do all this work by hand, I can't "feel" what I am doing to the paint with any power tools.

Thanks

MikeS, I recommend either ClearKote Blue cutting Cream or My Show Car scratch and swirl remover. Then follow up with ClearKote vanilla Glaze or Show Car Polish. All of these products can be used by hand with a microfiber application pad. They are all gentile enough not to leave compound scratches in the black paint.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be out of town October 6th -13th. I will be in Las Vegas working and getting some R+R. I wont be able to answer any questions or fill orders till the 14th. In the mean time keep the questions coming.

I will be out of town October 6th -13th. I will be in Las Vegas working and getting some R+R. I wont be able to answer any questions or fill orders till the 14th. In the mean time keep the questions coming.

Question for you Steve, my wheels seems like the black paint is coming off...have you noticed anything as such on yours?

Chris, my wheels are fine. Do you have pictures?

I will post some when the weather clears up, its been nasty here lately with the rain.

Do you just clean your wheels with water and soap? Could it be the rust from the rotors that is eating away at the black paint? :headscratch:

chris, I use my SHOW CAR Wheel cleaner and Wheel Seal about every two months. It is possible that the brake dust is eating thru the clearcoat on the rim. But the dust has to sit a long time to do that. Do you wash the car once a week? Does the car sit in the Florida sun alot?

chris, I use my SHOW CAR Wheel cleaner and Wheel Seal about every two months. It is possible that the brake dust is eating thru the clearcoat on the rim. But the dust has to sit a long time to do that. Do you wash the car once a week? Does the car sit in the Florida sun alot?

I wash my car at least twice a week, I work PM shift, no parking in hot sun-garaged when not driving her.

I also do clean the wheel wells for I'm pretty picky on keeping this baby all shined up, even my neighbor told me this morning " is is not going to rain today?", I said nope, checked the weather channel already.

Most of my neighbors think that I'm obsessed with this car but hey it is a full time job and when other sees a clean car it says alot of that person.

Jim, Is it possible the stains are permanent? Try a mild polish on a pad and see what happens. If the stain is still present then its there for the life of the stripes.

Steve,

Thanks for the great feedback and comments. You are providing a valuable service here. Us SGT owners appreciate it greatly as you can see by the length and abundance of good information on this thread.

I found out the company Oracal makes the vinyl stripes that we have on our cars. I know because I have a set that I got from previous Owner who got them via warrantee from SAI via his dealer. Their Co name is on the backing paper. Anyways, the enclosed PDF is for their care instructions. It says that you shouldn't Carnuba wax 'em.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

The quality of the stripes is really a big issue it seems. They are 4 mil and still look pretty good on my 15k mile '07, but I've heard first hand from a large local dealer body shop that the new hood scoops exert too much pressure on them and they are predisposed to wrinkle up.

Thanks,

Mark

Oracal_Care_Maintenance_vehicle_graphics_0808.pdf

Oracal_Care_Maintenance_vehicle_graphics_0808.pdf

Mark, I have to disagree with the NO Carnauba wax statement. Believe it or not Ive seen enough of these decals to know the waxed or sealed stripes verses not being waxed. The waxed stripes hold up much better. The stripe company doesnt want the customer to mess with the stripes in anyway so they put out this statement. Protecting the stripes is the only way to get them to hold up to our harsh enviorment. Now its entirely up to the consumer to decide which is best. I believe as a owner and caretaker of many shelby's it is safe to wax the stripes.

Mark, I have to disagree with the NO Carnauba wax statement. Believe it or not Ive seen enough of these decals to know the waxed or sealed stripes verses not being waxed. The waxed stripes hold up much better. The stripe company doesnt want the customer to mess with the stripes in anyway so they put out this statement. Protecting the stripes is the only way to get them to hold up to our harsh enviorment. Now its entirely up to the consumer to decide which is best. I believe as a owner and caretaker of many shelby's it is safe to wax the stripes.

I'd have to agree with you here for the two SGTs that I have seen around my area has horrible stripes issue that one of them actually got his painted on and got a GT scoop put on (he's a TS member) and the other never waxed his and it is too fading badly. I still have my original stripes and waxed them with an off brand once at 1000 miles until I bought Steve's goodies and I still have no problems with discoloration but I do have a bubble problem which I am waiting for a new scoop before I re-stripe. I think that the wax protects it if anything...

Archived