TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT Detailing

ShowCar

Scotty, He is applying POLISH not a WAX. Now I will disect that video for you as best I can on the computer. First you never hold the polisher at the 3o'clock position, reason is this you are not putting uneven pressure on the machine or the pad. Put the machine at the 6o'clock position for even pressure and coverage. This will give the paint a even look instead of the waves you might see after polish. With polish it breaks down when it become dusty which in turn makes the polish useless and marring can begin because the polish hardens like the inside of a wax bottle after sitting and now becomes abrasive to the paint. Now that ive given you some information on this video BECAREFUL of what you see on the internet. Alot of it is false. As for the how long question, it takes me 4hrs. to detail the exterior of a mustang. This is average time for me. Some of my students spend as much as twelve hrs. (Sun up to sun down) detailing the exterior. After they take my class and some practice they get it down to roughly 5hrs. My advice to you is find a good Paint Professional in you area who offers hands on classes and you will learn alot. Store videos are OK but hands on is where you will be able to use your sense of sight, and touch to really understand that detailing is a art form and not everyone is capable of doing it because they bought a bottle of wax from the store.

Hope this helps,

Steve R

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canadian Bacon, There is a limit on how much clearcoat there is on the car. Some polishes are more aggresive than others. Then theres the type of pad and machine you use. if its a gentile polish like ClearKote Glaze then you can polish till your exhausted because its gentile. If you use a POLISHING COMPOUND then you are slowly removing clearcoat paint. Read the labels on the bottle and they usually give you all the information you need to decide if the product is right for you. If all else fails pour some on your fingers and rub it together and you can litterally feel the abrasives in the polish.

I am feeling like I may need to go to a R/O polisher to get the kind of finish I am craving. My recollection is that my Clearkote Red Moose is good to use with the machines--any recommendations on type of machine and pads??

gofastguy, What is missing after using the Red Moose Glaze? The paint should be much darker and wetter looking after application. If you want to remove scratches then you need a Portercable polisher and a Polishing pad like Meguiars 8006 yellow pad. Post up some pics to give me a idea of what you are after appearance wise.

69dejavue, Cleaner wax is safe but its impossible to clean and protect in one step.

gofastguy, What is missing after using the Red Moose Glaze? The paint should be much darker and wetter looking after application. If you want to remove scratches then you need a Portercable polisher and a Polishing pad like Meguiars 8006 yellow pad. Post up some pics to give me a idea of what you are after appearance wise.

My paint looks really good and I am totally happy with my Red Moose. I guess my main issue is with the tiny scratches you see in bright sun and flourescent light. Plus, even though my car looks great, so do 80% of the cars at shows and cruise in's. I was just hoping to take it to the next level. Last week I was looking at a black '68 Camaro with 12 year old paint and it just looked so deep and wet and perfect, and I started to dream about having my black paint look like that...Of course, he was using something a little more pro-grade, but I thought that maybe I could approach this level of finish with my paint which is new and in pretty good condition.

Gofastguy, what was he using? Keep this in mind, you cant compare paint from one car to another. He probably spent alot of money on a paint job and the car sits in a garage most of its 12 year life. He has different paint on her to and was done proffesionally. You may need your car done by a pro. Even then it may not be flawless. I just finished a detail on a black 40th Shelby and the paint was horrible. I turned it around and looked really good. Black is like iceskating uphill. It looks hot ten minutes after one wash and looks dirty after one drive.

Hi Showcar, Bird pooed on my stripe... it left a stain I can see in florescent light and even on my white paint. Dang seagulls! Any suggestions to remove. Also can you reccommend a detailer in Seattle area. My experiences have been less than stellar, and I am picky about my car. Thanks for all the info! You rule!

Mccoystudio, I cant give you any Detailer recomendations in the WA. area. Sorry. I can recommend you talk to somebody in your area.

Ask to see their personel vehicle and others in the shop. Usually the vehicles will reflect their quality and ask what products they use?

Don't feel uncomfortable about it? If they care they will understand your needs and expectations. With Bird droppings its really tuff because of the acid levels in the droppings its probably not going to come out. Try this use a scratch remover like Meguiars scratch X with a clean FOAM pad

(do this by hand with a foam pad because terry cloth will leave marks in the vinyl) and go in a circular motion the size of the bird dropping. This might not remove it but it will even out the dropping so its not as obvious in the sun light. Go slowly and dont use any pressure on the vinyl. Then use a GLAZE to make the stripe look better. Then wax the vinyl to minimize any future attacks. If you can keep a detail spray in the trunk inside of a Ziplock bag( to prevent spills) with some towels to do quick clean ups. My website address is www.showcardetail.com All of my contact information is there. If none of this makes sense feel free to contact me. Ill walk you thru it.

Thanks your advice will be heeded. You are very kind to help us all out like you do! Right On!

I tried to microfiber and clean the poo at the lot with a meguiars detail spray, I could not see the scrapes from the seeds or whatever was in the poo until I was under the florescents in my shop. I should have really sprayed it on thicker and let it soak in, as the poo was dry and that was not cool, it baked in the sun.

I am learning, and what you gonna do eh? Thanks Alot!

Stargazer, I use ClearKote vinyl and rubber dressing. Its not greasy or shiny. It really gives the dash and panels a good look.

DSC00821.jpg

This is a shot of a 03 mach 1 with ClearKote dressing on it.

Stargazer, I use ClearKote vinyl and rubber dressing. Its not greasy or shiny. It really gives the dash and panels a good look.

DSC00821.jpg

This is a shot of a 03 mach 1 with ClearKote dressing on it.

Who's signature on the dashboard if i may ask?

Simple greene cut 6:1 on a COOL engine works well.Use a soft bristle brush if needed.Blow dry with compressed air.Lastly a dressing that is petroleum free so you dont start a fire under the hood.You can use Meguiars #40, or Clearkote dressing.Then wipe it down to give it a nice sheen not shine.Let the car run to get the motor warm and you are done. Do not use Pressure washers because the computer is under the hood on the right side and its not WATERPROOF.

Engineshot-1.jpg

Can you use a garden hose with an adjustable nozzle in the engine bay like what most use to wash the car?

I would love a super clean bay but afraid of the water

thx

Scotty, He is applying POLISH not a WAX. Now I will disect that video for you as best I can on the computer. First you never hold the polisher at the 3o'clock position, reason is this you are not putting uneven pressure on the machine or the pad. Put the machine at the 6o'clock position for even pressure and coverage. This will give the paint a even look instead of the waves you might see after polish. With polish it breaks down when it become dusty which in turn makes the polish useless and marring can begin because the polish hardens like the inside of a wax bottle after sitting and now becomes abrasive to the paint. Now that ive given you some information on this video BECAREFUL of what you see on the internet. Alot of it is false. As for the how long question, it takes me 4hrs. to detail the exterior of a mustang. This is average time for me. Some of my students spend as much as twelve hrs. (Sun up to sun down) detailing the exterior. After they take my class and some practice they get it down to roughly 5hrs. My advice to you is find a good Paint Professional in you area who offers hands on classes and you will learn alot. Store videos are OK but hands on is where you will be able to use your sense of sight, and touch to really understand that detailing is a art form and not everyone is capable of doing it because they bought a bottle of wax from the store.

Hope this helps,

Steve R

What do you mean by 6 oclock position and not 3?? :banghead:

I just keep it placed evenly against the paint, even pressure and slow movements

thanks

Chuckstang, Find a garden sprayer with at least 5 settings. This will be perfect for washing anything on the vehicle. Set the sprayer on the shower nozzle and hose down a COOL motor. Dont be afraid water is not going to harm the motor or ECM. Just dont get the cold air filter wet. Otherwise its safe to clean the engine bay.

Having the polisher in the six o'clock position on a vertical panel makes you less prone to push down on the polisher while polishing a panel. (Six o'clock meaning holding the polisher handle towards the ground with your right hand).This will keep even pressure on the pad and it wont scour the paint. Certain pads and polishes can be more aggressive and holding the polisher properly ensures you wont damage the paint.

This is what most people use to "DETAIL" cars.

Mostpeoplesdetailcollection.jpg

:hysterical2:

On a serious note,If any fellow Shelby owners have Detail questions Feel free to PM me.I own a detail business and dont like what I see from most enthusiasts.Some people actually use the stuff you see above. Let me state Im not here to make money just to help with advice.

Remember there are no dumb questions just dumb mistakes.

My question is in regards to the "vinyl?" stripes on the Shelby GT. How do you clean these puppies? :shift:

Torquewrench. Depending on how deep into the glass the spots are, try a polish by hand on the stains. If that doesnt work then glass polish and a buffer will remove the stains. Eastwood sells a great kit. Keep in mind the glass may shatter if you press to hard.

BE CAREFUL!!!

Forgive my ignorance, but I've gone to 3 different automotive franchises looking for Zaino with no luck. Where can I find it? Direct order only.

Mail Order only, google Zaino Brothers and it will come up.

I bought the package this past time with the Bucket that has the strainer and screw on lid. Got $10 off the bucket, still a lot for a bucket, but it is very nice.

I have an issue with the vinyl decals showing spots. I used meguiars NXT Generation® Car Wash and super soft wash mit to try and clean the decals <no positive results yet> Then I purchased meguiars Natural Shine Vinyl & Rubber Protectant still not much luck get the mild spots and discoloration. The car is garage kept and covered... so short of removing the decals and painting them on what could - can be done???

Thanks for all the advice!

Jim B

Jim, Is it possible the stains are permanent? Try a mild polish on a pad and see what happens. If the stain is still present then its there for the life of the stripes.

I have spots on my stripes also just on the roof , everyone gave me the advise to take it to the dealer they will look at it then take some pics and send them to SHELBY , did that last Tues. so waiting to hear back from ford to take it in and have new stripes put on the roof !!! As for the detailing of my car all i ever use is KozaK , it takes the water spots out and leaves a perfect mirror finish with very little hand work ! you can get them at just about any auto parts store ! heres a link to them so u know what to look for !!!!! http://properautocare.com/koaudrywa.html

Archived