TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT Detailing

ShowCar

This Saturday, I saw a Grabber Orange, Vista Blue, Ebony Black and Performance White SGTs amongst many GT-500s... :hysterical:

Here are some pics of this weekend's Texas Shelby Meet ! http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/rus...mview=slideshow

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tip #1

All cars new or old need to be clayed to clean the surface from bonded contaminents. Cars should be clayed every 3-6 months depending on climate and if its a daily driver or not. Cars that dont see the elements (like garage queens) could be clayed as needed.

I drive my Shelby thru everything from DD use to track use and I clay it about every three months. There are many types of clay out there and I feel our Show Car Clay kit is the softest yet most aggresive clay out on the market without scouring the finish. Plus its a huge 200gram piece(about the size of a bar of soap) and will do many cars over its life. Recently I detailed a 2003 Mustang GT and a brand new 2009 Ford Fusion. You will be suprised by the pictures I took. The clay on both cars was the same as far as contaminents. If you dont clay your car before polishing, glazing, or waxing you are wasting time, money, and product. All that you are protecting is dirt on your paint. Plus the products wont last because the products bond to the dirt not the clearcoat on your car.

DSC01827.jpg

This was after claying the hood of the fusion.

DSC01835.jpg

This is what I use on my daily driver details for winter protection.

DSC01847.jpg

A little reflection in the paint after a good once over.

DSC02609.jpg

During the 03 claying process.

DSC02608.jpg

Clay after doing the hood also.

DSC02615.jpg

Finished detail.

DSC02617.jpg

Reflection shot.

The Fusion and Mustang come to us every six months for protection now. Ive been told by many customers that the cars are now much easier to wash and maintain between details. If you love your car clay it and you will see and feel a difference in the finish.

Tip #1

All cars new or old need to be clayed to clean the surface from bonded contaminents. Cars should be clayed every 3-6 months depending on climate and if its a daily driver or not. Cars that dont see the elements (like garage queens) could be clayed as needed.

I drive my Shelby thru everything from DD use to track use and I clay it about every three months. There are many types of clay out there and I feel our Show Car Clay kit is the softest yet most aggresive clay out on the market without scouring the finish. Plus its a huge 200gram piece(about the size of a bar of soap) and will do many cars over its life. Recently I detailed a 2003 Mustang GT and a brand new 2009 Ford Fusion. You will be suprised by the pictures I took. The clay on both cars was the same as far as contaminents. If you dont clay your car before polishing, glazing, or waxing you are wasting time, money, and product. All that you are protecting is dirt on your paint. Plus the products wont last because the products bond to the dirt not the clearcoat on your car.

DSC01827.jpg

This was after claying the hood of the fusion.

DSC01835.jpg

This is what I use on my daily driver details for winter protection.

DSC01847.jpg

A little reflection in the paint after a good once over.

DSC02609.jpg

During the 03 claying process.

DSC02608.jpg

Clay after doing the hood also.

DSC02615.jpg

Finished detail.

DSC02617.jpg

Reflection shot.

The Fusion and Mustang come to us every six months for protection now. Ive been told by many customers that the cars are now much easier to wash and maintain between details. If you love your car clay it and you will see and feel a difference in the finish.

Show Car,

After reading all of this detailing info. again, I have a question about your products.

I bought several of your SHOW CAR products and now am wondering which do you prefer when comparing SHOW CAR to KLEARCOAT.

Thanks

Gary

Gary,

I have used ClearKote for a long time and like the "mom and pop shop" way they do business. Its a great product line (though small) that you can use in the direct sunlight because of the petroleum base in it. As my business grew my demand for more products grew and I wasnt interested in carrying Optimum, PoorBoys, Zaino, Blackfire, and so on like other detail shops do. Over time I noticed one thing fancy labels, and low end quality from most products sold. I started researching and developing products that arent fancy but get the job done with ease of use, durability, and a fair price. Plus I use Cleakote and my Show Car line on a daily basis on all different types of cars and paints. Thats why when you call to talk to me the first question I always ask is what year make and model car do you own? Now for the original question you asked, I like the Show Car line better because my line covers just about everything on a car from the undercarriage to the leather seats. Try the products you bought and let me know what you think? One last thing when you buy 16oz.'s of product you get 16oz.'s of product in the bottle. Not a bottle that is 3/4 full. More bang for your buck. Hopefully this answers your questions? Thank you for your business.

Gary,

I have used ClearKote for a long time and like the "mom and pop shop" way they do business. Its a great product line (though small) that you can use in the direct sunlight because of the petroleum base in it. As my business grew my demand for more products grew and I wasnt interested in carrying Optimum, PoorBoys, Zaino, Blackfire, and so on like other detail shops do. Over time I noticed one thing fancy labels, and low end quality from most products sold. I started researching and developing products that arent fancy but get the job done with ease of use, durability, and a fair price. Plus I use Cleakote and my Show Car line on a daily basis on all different types of cars and paints. Thats why when you call to talk to me the first question I always ask is what year make and model car do you own? Now for the original question you asked, I like the Show Car line better because my line covers just about everything on a car from the undercarriage to the leather seats. Try the products you bought and let me know what you think? One last thing when you buy 16oz.'s of product you get 16oz.'s of product in the bottle. Not a bottle that is 3/4 full. More bang for your buck. Hopefully this answers your questions? Thank you for your business.

SHOW CAR,

Thanks for fast reply. I am very happy with the SHOw CAR products that I have. I was just wondering.

I will be calling soon to order more great detailing stuff.

Thanks,

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Showcar

You may have already addressed this but what do you recommend to care for the cloth convertible top on my 08 SGT? Thanks ahead of time for your answer. I've learned a lot from reading all of your other posts.

Hi Jason,

For the top I would use the following products,

Microfiber wash mitt- wont leave lint on the top after washing

Show Car Wash- rinses clean and leaves no residue

Microfiber drying towel- same as mitt

Lint brush- to remove any lint on the top

Show Car Fabric Protector- only if the top sees daily driver status or if the top is five years old.

If you have stains on the top Simple Green cut 8:1 and a SOFT bristle brush usually remove spots and stains.

The tops on the 05+ mustangs are really nice and dont need much to look good. There is UV protection on the tops along with fabric protector right from the factory. You will spend more time lubricating seals and hinges than caring for the fabric. Hope this answers your question.

• 2 months later...

OK, so I can't get these spots off of my SGT's exterior glass... the back window's covered with it... I've tried glass cleaner, vinegar, even Simple Green. No luck.

What can I try next?

Jer

(see attached pic)

glass.jpg

glass.jpg

Thats some serious etching in the glass. Contact me by phone I think I can help you out. 773-612-1332.

My experience with something that looked like that (hard-water spots exacerbated by several weeks under the flight path of Miramar NAS) was that the stuff is almost a part of the glass. What took most of it off was claybar and polish, just like for your painted finishes. Never did get completely gone, but mostly.

Wait: they actually did get totally removed - sold the car.

Don't call me; my "advice" is free-gratis.

• 4 weeks later...

What is the best stuff to use on the plastic trim? i was raised on using armorall wipes on the plastic. I use zymol cleaner wax on the paint and so far i havent found anyhing better. but i just got my 07 SGT so i want to do things right. any help would be great!! :salute:

• 1 month later...

Showcar,

First, thanks for helping us with all of your knowledge. I know it helped open my eyes to the real process that goes into a fantastic looking car.

I got a free Vector Waxxpro 10 from a buddy of mine who had a RV business that went under. I have never used a polisher before and am worried that this might be too much for the car (since it was used on RVs). The last thing I want to do is hurt the finish. I cant find any type of pads that you reccomend for it, just micro fiber bonnets for it. Is this polisher even worth using (hope so, cause it's free) or should I save up for the PC?

Thanks again for all of your help!

mwinter501, send me a picture of the machine. I would guess its a bigger machine to cover more surface area. It could also be designed for gelcoats since most RV's exteriors are made of gelcoat. Or it could be a fancy name for a $30.00 polisher thats 10 inches in diameter. Eitherway a PC is designed for a car. We carry PC's and pads. Sometimes FREE is not worth the trouble it will cost to do a job right. Contact me and we can talk.

I just found what I think is the machine.

http://www.newcarcleaning.com/9_15718481_Vector_Brand_sr_1.html

If this is the machine, even if you can find bonnets for it the polisher will cause more harm than good just because of the size of it. Plus the handle will be damaging alot of trim, mirrors, and so on when you use it. I would definately buy a PC.

Hi Baditone1,

If you would like to contact me I could explain to you what I like the best. I could also walk you thru the clay process over the phone. 773-612-1332. Thank you.

Thanks for all the detail Showcar. I read that the sealant is for daily driving and the wax is for the high gloss wet look. While it is not a daily driver I do love to drive baby Shelby on the weekends etc. I really want to protect it but also want the wet look. Can they both be used or possibly use the sealant then the show car nuba? Suggestions?

Doug

mwinter501, send me a picture of the machine. I would guess its a bigger machine to cover more surface area. It could also be designed for gelcoats since most RV's exteriors are made of gelcoat. Or it could be a fancy name for a $30.00 polisher thats 10 inches in diameter. Eitherway a PC is designed for a car. We carry PC's and pads. Sometimes FREE is not worth the trouble it will cost to do a job right. Contact me and we can talk.

I just found what I think is the machine.

http://www.newcarcleaning.com/9_15718481_Vector_Brand_sr_1.html

If this is the machine, even if you can find bonnets for it the thing will cause more harm than good just because of the size of it. Plus the handle will be damaging alot of trim, mirrors, and so on when you use it. I would definately buy a PC.

Yeah, thats the one. I wont use it if it will hurt the car. Ill have to save up for the PC, money is kinda tight being in college and whatnot. Thanks again for all of the help, if you weren't here answering questions in this thread I probably would have used it. Thanks agian!

• 2 weeks later...

You are welcome. Anytime I can help.

Recently noticed numerous surface scratches, so I decided to read this topic for the first time...read every post.

Now I'm exhausted - and lazy. Know any great detailers in the Phoenix area? I'm not kidding. Thanks

I have some surface scratches and swirl marks( impossible not to get on black car) will clay bar fix this or what is the best and easiest way?

Seems as though we have the same problem, and the same color and both in Phoenix. What part of town are you in?

I'm at I-17 and Carefree Hwy and I've got a 2007 SGT...Black w/ Silver.

I have some surface scratches and swirl marks( impossible not to get on black car) will clay bar fix this or what is the best and easiest way?

I have tried that on my black SGT...didn't work for me. Last fall I bought the Turtle Wax Black Box kit. It takes about 5 or 6 hours from wash to finish waxing. It didn't completely take the swirls and clearcoat scratches out but it def. made them about 50-60% less visible. I'm still searcing for the magic cure of swirl marks. Black is just too hard of a color to hide them in.

If you have swirls and scratches you will need to have the car buffed or polished properly. As for black its a great color just alot of work and use good quality towels and wash mitts. Lastly make sure you are gentile with the paint. Ive seen guys washing and drying their cars like they were sanding wood. Be gentle on the finish.

As I have said before "Black isnt a color its a part time job."

• 3 weeks later...

If you have swirls and scratches you will need to have the car buffed or polished properly. As for black its a great color just alot of work and use good quality towels and wash mitts. Lastly make sure you are gentile with the paint. Ive seen guys washing and drying their cars like they were sanding wood. Be gentle on the finish.

As I have said before "Black isnt a color its a part time job."

In return for the great information, I just placed my first order. You're shipping to Phoenix, but I'm an ex-Arlington Heights guy.

Miss the food, but not the weather.

Archived