TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fake GLHS Dash Plaque On Ebay. Another Clone On The Way.

A unauthorized reproduction GLHS dash plaque just sold on ebay for $345.75

Although Shelby has never granted anyone permission to reproduce these plaques some unscrupulous people have reproduced them and one of these reproductions is now on the way to Canada.

Sales of these fake plaques will do nothing but hurt the already low value of the Shelby Dodges. It's anybodys guess what car number will be stamped on this plaque to fool a future buyer that the car they are buying is legit.

Lets hope Team Shelby and its membership will take a strong stand against this type of activity.

Steve

FakeGLHSplaqueEbay.jpg

While I agree with you Steve about the reproduction and distribution of after market plaques, it is possible the plaque will be used properly to replace one that is missing on a genuine vehicle, let's hope that is the case.

i agree that reproduction/cloned restoration parts can, and are, a great idea. before purchasing any pedigreed special interest car the only protection anyone has against seller fraud is proper research done before the sale. In the case of the Whittier Shelby/Dodge cars, the VINS for each model that went thru the plant are documented and those lists are available to any potential buyer, so this cloned plaque could not alone make a fake car pass as a genuine Shelby if the buyer does some simple homework.

there's a huge proliferation of restoration parts for all sorts of cars out there, any one of those parts can assist in a fraudelent representation, this one included. buyers just have to be willing to do the needed background research.

i agree that reproduction/cloned restoration parts can, and are, a great idea. before purchasing any pedigreed special interest car the only protection anyone has against seller fraud is proper research done before the sale. In the case of the Whittier Shelby/Dodge cars, the VINS for each model that went thru the plant are documented and those lists are available to any potential buyer, so this cloned plaque could not alone make a fake car pass as a genuine Shelby if the buyer does some simple homework.

there's a huge proliferation of restoration parts for all sorts of cars out there, any one of those parts can assist in a fraudelent representation, this one included. buyers just have to be willing to do the needed background research.

Marrcus86glhs

You're missing the biggest point though. Carroll Shelby from day one has said 100% NO to any reproduction dash plaques so don't you think that it is a slap in the face for someone to say screw you Shelby I'm making them anyway and you just try to stop me?

I'm in 100% agreement with Carroll on this and always have been. If a car you're interested in buying doesn't have a dash plaque the selling price of the car should be adjusted accordingly.

About two years back someone showed up at one of our SoCal Shelby gatherings with a 1986 GLHS that had a "reproduction" dash plaque on it. I noticed this while he was showing me his car and I mentioned to him that "it has a reproduction dash plaque" and his first and last response was no it doesn't.

I was polite and held his hand as best I could. I even walked him over to another 1986 GLHS so he could see the difference between his trophy shop plaque and a Whittier plaque. Did that convince him? Nope sure didn't. He just dug his feet in saying thats how he bought the car and so it had to real. Lets see the car is over 20 years old and you're the 5th owner but because the guy you handed $$ over to says its real you believe him and ignore all logic from that point on.

Now just think when this guy sells the car to its next owner. Do you think he will pass any of this info on to the new owner? I'm confident the answer is no.

Steve

I too am against reproduction plaques. The only time that I feel it should be implemented is through a Shelby licensed group and you've provided proof of ownership for the vehicle that it is going on. So many a time people find the car they've been waiting for only to find out the dash plaque is stolen. Price can be adjusted accordingly, but the fact of hte matter is the plaque is still missing.

I don't like the idea of trophy shops doing plaques like that which went on eBay because as you said Steve, people like the genlteman you spoke with will be told that everything's authentic on the car even though its a bold faced lie.

Reminds me of the time that GLHS was said to be real and all but the guy came to find out half of a non=numbered Shelby Charger was welded onto the back half of it.

It's just ashame that as much as Shelby reiterated that he did not support repro dash plaques and such, why wasn't there a better, more secure method to installing these???? :(

This is were a Registry comes in handy.

In this case, even a registry wouldn't come in handy unless someone listed that the dash plaque was missing. We have a thread at turbo-mopar.com that has been long standing where members can post for the dash plaque they are seeking in the case someone has it/spots it. But overall, what I'm getting at is that these phoney repros can be slapped on a car and dubbed as real to the next seller, and if that new buyer is told its real and goes to sell the car, then he's going to say the same thing if he sells it. It's like a big snowball rolling down a mountain. The end result isn't good.

Steve i wasnt aware that Carroll had specifically spoken out against repro plaques that would of course be something to consider so you make a very good point as others have.

my initial opinion was that the plaque alone, whether present, missing, or a repro, wont make real Shelby a fake or vice-versa and one must examine the car to be certain of the car's pedigree.

Hi,

Does anyone have the sellers I.D. on Ebay? Did anyone save the link to the item?

Reproduction anything Shelby, but especially CS tags is not acceptable. I will make sure to forward this link and any information anyone can provide about this to Shelby Licensing.

Robert

I'm confident that the seller of this reproduction plaque did not make it. My guess is he purchased it a few years back when they showed up for sale on the internet. Who's to say the seller didn't lie to him and say it was real.

IIRC when CSL sent the seller of these plaques a cease and decist letter all the seller did was take his sales underground using emails and PM's to continue selling them.

Last I heard this person had moved on but every once and awhile I see them post on another bulletin board.

Steve

This is were a Registry comes in handy.

I think a registry also helps in preventing someone from resurrecting a car's number from a car that is destroyed. I'm sure it may have already happened where a GLHS has been totaled but the plaque and tags moved over to a Shelby Charger. I've heard this about some of the Mustangs.

Archived