TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT Plus Brake System

Has anyone installed the Shelby GT Plus Brake System on the front and will it fit the stock 18" wheels? The catalog states certain spoke designs may not allow enough clearance for the oversize calipers.

That system will not fit our stock wheels. If you search, you will find a fair number of threads that discuss this issue. Presently, the only alternative you have with the stock SGT wheels is to upgrade your rotors to slotted and cross drilled, upgrade your brake pads to Hawk and upgrade your brake lines to stainless steel. Jim

Call Shelby Performance Parts and ask for Keith. They test fitted several different wheel combinations with the different brake packages. He will tell you what will fit.

Hi,

I had the same question so I called Keith at Shelby Performance Parts. As stated in the previous post, the GT+ Baer kit will not fit the stock wheels. If you add the GT+ kit, only 2 wheels will fit from the Mod Shop - The Razors and the GT500 wheel. Two additional wheels will fit if you order from Shelby Performance Parts - the Type S1 and the Alcoa Aluminum forged wheel. These last two wheels CANNOT be added at the mod shop.

Best of luck in your decision.

Hi,

I had the same question so I called Keith at Shelby Performance Parts. As stated in the previous post, the GT+ Baer kit will not fit the stock wheels. If you add the GT+ kit, only 2 wheels will fit from the Mod Shop - The Razors and the GT500 wheel. Two additional wheels will fit if you order from Shelby Performance Parts - the Type S1 and the Alcoa Aluminum forged wheel. These last two wheels CANNOT be added at the mod shop.

Please clarify for those interested. Are those all 18" diameters of the Razor, S1 and Alcoa?

The SPP catalog mentioned the GT Plus brakes would fit some 18" wheels but to call for templates. That is why I was hoping it would fit our stock wheels. Would make sense to design the kit to fit the stock wheel.

A lot of people would probably like to upgrade the brakes without having to buy new wheels and tires also.

Per Kenny at SPP, I just confirmed about what everybody else is saying....

If you want the Baer GT plus brake system, in 18" the GT500 wheels will fit, and the new SPP S1 wheel. Anything other than those 2 wheels or something matching their specs, you are into 20".

From where I sit, this is good. I'd planned on GT500 wheels anyway and was just about decided to go with the GT500 brakes for my SGT. Knowing the above, it will be the GT plus system F&R instead.

No if I can only quit reading this forum (those Steeda/ Ford OEM Xenon lights just jumped out at me too)...

Todd

07SGT1638

• 4 weeks later...
To swap out front and rear rotors, what tools are needed? How difficult is it to do the rear with the E-brake adjustmnet? I will be changing pads also. Plan is to install OEM I rotors that are drilled and slotted.

Thanks for any input.

My neighbor and I swapped out the stock brakes for the Baer GT Plus package. It took us about 3 hours. We could have done it faster but we were having fun doing one wheel at a time. Bleeding the brakes was the hardest part. The only special tool we used was his air wrench for convience. However, the brake package upgrade doesn't require changing the pads. You resuse the rear caliper and the front calipers come with the pads installed from the factory.

To swap out front and rear rotors, what tools are needed? How difficult is it to do the rear with the E-brake adjustmnet? I will be changing pads also. Plan is to install OEM I rotors that are drilled and slotted.

Thanks for any input.

For a simple rotor and pad install, no special tools required. No issue with the e-brake either. Should be straight forward.

Thanks for any input.

Hey there,

Just an FYI - Lethal Performance, Evolution Performance and JLT all sell excellent cross-drilled, cross-drilled/slotted or just slotted rotors also (Stillen of course) :)

Page

• 2 weeks later...

Here the response that I recieved from Shelby on this very topic.

Rich,

With larger brakes it is very difficult to find a wheel that will fit in the 18" size. I have attached a little chart to show you which wheels fit with which brakes. In addition to the wheels in that chart, the Shelby Type S1 wheel by American racing will also accept the larger brake packages. I have attached pictures of those wheels for you to see. If you have any further questions please let me know

Thanks!!

Wheel GT + 14" (Baer), Extreme + 14" (Baer), Extreme Plus 15.0 (Baer)

G040P N045P N045U

CS40 20x9.0 Fits Fits Fits

CS56 18x9.5 Fits Fits No

CS66 18x8.5 No No No

CS66 20x9.0 Fits Fits Fits

CS67 17x8.5 No No No

18x8.5 No No No

20x9.0 No No No

Kenny Gorham

Customer Service/Sales

Shelby Performance Parts

Phone (702) 853-2068

Fax (702) 853-2069

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, March 10, 2008 7:39 AM

To: Kenny Gorham

Subject: FW: Wheel and Brake combination

Kind Regards,

Randi Denton

Shelby Performance Parts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Friday, March 07, 2008 11:29 PM

To: Info - Shelby

Subject: Wheel and Brake combination

Will the Baer Extreme Plus system fit with the 18 inch CS67 rims Part # CS67-885442-C ?

Living in Chicago means you are always just a pot hole away from throwing away a beautiful wheel if you go larger than 18 inches.

Thanks for your time.

Rich

Hi,

Archived