TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SAAC sues Caroll Shelby

mrshelby2

Amen, John! I think CS will only deal with a management team he feels he can trust. Once control of his IP assets is resolved, that should be straightforward, whether it's part of Team Shelby or a licensed 'independent' entity or ??? (just my thoughts -- I have no inside insight).

If I were CS I'd be really leary of any non-subsidiary for-profit organization ever having control of this again -- especially since 99.9% of the owners are in the various clubs for the cars, the enjoyment and the camaradarie of like-minded enthusiasts.

I hope it all comes together under the Team Shelby umbrella in some framework that makes any change essentially transparent at an enthusiast level. That will be the challenge vis-a-vis the registry info.

The physical book and it's format, etc, are likely the legal work product of SAAC (the Corp. -- dunno) either by explicit copyright filing or defacto protection, but I don't see that the actual data volunteered by Shelby, Ford, the owners, etc. over the years is the sole property of SAAC in any sense. What's different here is that, at some point, work was done on the registry with the benefit of CSLicensing enabling use of CS' IP assets in the collection process. Much of that work might have been impossible or in violation of CS IP assets lacking such licensing -- under a license agreement that appears to never have been met/satisfied. So while it's possible that no one can copy the "instance" of the registry, I think the registry data may be fair game if someone else (SAI/Team SHelby/???) wanted to recompile it at a vehicle-level in some other format or for some other purpose -- someone who has CS' explicit suppor, like a subsidiary, etc. It could then be put online for owners to flesh-in/update their specific information -- not unlike what Team Shelby has done on the Shelby site, but including all the known Ford and Shelby production info, registry data (if a court decides that) and that which owners/enthusiasts choose to voluntarily contribute about their cars, old and new. The sticky art, to my mind, is all the tech-specific data that SAAC has compiled but which may have been impossibly to legitmately solicit without benefit of CS' past support, both verbally and via the livense agreement. I suspect CS has intrinsic shared owership of such information for a variety of reasons impossible and/or inappropriate for discussion here.

Most folks don't realize that a copyright protects the "instance," not the idea -- even patents don't protect ideas; nothing does. Imitation is not only the sincerest form of flattery, it's also entirely legal. Copying the instance is what can't be done (all the notes i a song can be reused, just not in the exact same format <lol>). I'm no expert on this and I'm sure the IP legal-beagles will crawl thru such sticking points in painfull detail and a court will eventually render an explicit decision -- I think it has to go that far to be 'clear.' Just my opinion -- dunno what will be, but clearing all the asset ownership issues will ultimately benefit the enthusiasts, present and future, imo.

wow, it's come to legal-beagles crawling thru such sticking points in painfull detail and a court eventually rendering an explicit decision..........

geeee, aren't we having FUN NOW

ShelbyGuy

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that was quite the read. I’m not new here but I don’t post that much. One of the reason's I love it here is because I can post to such a forum and have people like Amy that will take the time to answer and explain things. When was the last time you had someone in Amy's position readably available like this? Amy, I know you take some hits here and I don’t believe you deserve them but, I think the fact SA is open to criticism and suggestion will assure SA will be a successful organization. I am saddened with the situation with SAAC. I wish we could all be one happy family but, I believe time will heal the damage. For those who have personally slammed Carroll, let’s compare his accomplishment with yours. He has done more for motorsports and specifically Ford enthusiasts than any other single person. And I mean all enthusiasts, not those who are only interested in how unique your particular car is. You may not like what he does but, the name on the car is still his and he has the rights to see it used as he wishes. Amy, let me know If ya want a body guard at your next event :call: , I’m your guy (if it’s ok with your hubby) :hysterical2:

Wow dave (86fastback)

Much thanks.................

I'm a non SAAC member, Shelby owner (over 30 years). I've been calmly reading posting on here as well as on saacforum.

To call SAAC a, and I'm quoting you here:

"malignancy"

thats is causing:

"damage of the overall organism..."

Pretty much says it all for me. For you to consider SAAC a malignacy is offensive me, and I'm quite sure it is to quite a few Shelby enthusists out here reading this as well.

This isn't about you, or SAAC, this is about where WE open our wallets. Keep in mind that I've donated thousands of dollars over the year to Carroll's heart fund. I've attended many SAAC conventions and enjoyed them ALL with no complaints.

Your outburst made me sick, and I can't see ever being involved with Team Shelby OR donating to Carroll's heat fund again.

ShelbyGuy

Shelby Guy, There are strong feelings on both sides, this issue has reached new levels of low . I agree this is overly harsh. 68fastback(Dan) has always taken the high road and responded responsively. We continually have tried not to answer the nasty posts. I appologize you were affended and I will remove that one line. we must try to stay above the fry.

Amy

Shelby Guy, There are strong feelings on both sides, this issue has reached new levels of low . I agree this is overly harsh. 68fastback(Dan) has always taken the high road and responded responsively. We continually have tried not to answer the nasty posts, and the horrific emails. I appologize you were affended and I will remove that one line. we must try to stay above the fry.

Amy

Amy is right, we all need to take a step back and let the involved parties settle this. For what ever reason, people will say disrespectful things in these forums that they would rarely if ever say directly to someone in person. I guess that is the result of the seemingly anonymous nature of forums. This issue is especially difficult for the SAAC folks because it could have a profound impact their club. Remember these are people just like TS members with the same passions, many of whom have been around a long time and we need to respect that. I believe the few who have been vocal and disrespectful do not speak for the average club members, the silent majority. These few have tried with little success to get this membership involved in the debate Wwe have resisted that and I hope this continues. After all, in the future we may interact with these people at gatherings, car shows, and track events, or ask for help and opinions with Shelby related issues. It is my hope that when all is done and settled, we get back to the cars, old and new and enjoy the comradeship that they create.

Rick M

We can all start talking legal technicalities as to laches, estoppel, whats protected whats not. 68fastback your post assumes all the allegations against SAAC are correct and accurate. You have personal knowledge of this? You are going to testify? Whats the basis of your knowledge. What if we assume SAAC's allegations are correct and accurate?

Point is that the legal battle is and will damage the hobby and the enthusiast regardless of who is right will lose. Very rarely is one side 100% right. If you are a lawyer you should understand this simple truism.

The simple fact is that destroying SAAC will not be helpful to the hobby. To suggest the SAAC will not be damaged if the Team Shelby's relief that is requested is granted is naive. To suggest the Registry will survive is naive. To suggest the hobby will not be affected is naive.

Team Shelby can start its own registry, true. However, if the thousands of SAAC members don't want to participate in the Team Shelby Registry it won't be very comprehensive or of much value IMHO. I don't see SAAC members flocking to Team Shelby with a Team Shelby legal victory.

In simplest terms the best solution is to allow both clubs to continue under a fair licensing agreement with appropriate protections on both sides. That sthe only way the enthusiast wins.

As it is enthusiasts are already bitting at each other's throats and bitter nasty disputes are taking place. This is no way to further a hobby is it?

No legal analysis required.

And, no I'm not from or with SAAC.

I disagree that this is between the legal teams. The enthusiasts club members can make a difference by making known what they would like to see happen. If the powers that be turn the other way from what the membership would like its time to find another club.

I agree... I edited the post to remove the word "malignancy." I guess I just have a low threashold of tolerance for anyone who signs a contract (for a sweetheart deal that any other licensee would give most anything for) and then doesn't honor it, etc. It was an analogy and I was not talking about the SAAC membership at large in any way -- I was talking about the behavior of a for-profit corporation known as SAAC which had responsibilities under the contract/agreement and corporations have all the rights of individuals unde the law.

My appologies if anyone took that personally ...SAAC members have done absolutely nothing wrong. It's unfortunate their leadership's actions, and/or lack thereof, as officers of a for-profit corporation, precipitated what I still feel are absolutely necessary actions by CS/CSL That's just my own opinion. Others have theirs. This thread is presumeably to share them. I did not start this thread and did not post in their thread until I felt it necessary to respond to another post with an alternative perspective.

Yes, this is a subject where opinions run deep -- no problem with that, imo... that's what passion is about.

Dan

Guys, there is a piece of Art drawn by Buzz from the club cobra site, that is, if you are Carroll or myself, a bit insulting, but to delete it, when it is on the other sites I am not sure is the right thing. I have posted to the thread on the club cobra site. Parody is parody , so I take it as such.

This issue with SAAC management and carroll has affected many on both sides. I want to make this clear.

If I can take this, and take the high road, I would like all of you to do the same. We really now more then ever need to focus ahead, maybe this will end and end well and if it does, those that stoop to those vile levels will not recover.

Its how you act during the worst of times is how you will be remembered in the best of times, I am sure someone said that, if not, I have a new tag line....

Thank you all who stay above the fray.....

Thank you

Amy

well..it is funny...whatever happens..it will never be the same again.and thats sad...we may have to rope off the larger car shows to keep saac members and team shelby members away from each other...passion can be good or bad...in this case minds are made up and there is no going back....this was inevitable....happy motoring...snooter

well..it is funny...whatever happens..it will never be the same again.and thats sad...we may have to rope off the larger car shows to keep saac members and team shelby members away from each other...passion can be good or bad...in this case minds are made up and there is no going back....this was inevitable....happy motoring...snooter

I know you said that somewhat tongue in cheek, but I actually had a passing thought the other day that at a couple of the cars shows around here, I might really have to worry about someone damaging or screwing with my car because of this :censored: I don't think the reverse is gonna be true, I just don't see any of the team shelby members wanting to prove a point in such a manner..some of the saac guys really feel threatened tho.

I think KCMO/John makes a good point.

I sincerely hope the SAAC membership isn't confusing the views of folks here on the legal stuff betw CS/SAAC with how Team Shelby enthusiasts might feel about SAAC enthusiasts. In my mind the two are totally different realms and my personal views on SAAC (the corporation) have no intersect whatsoever with SAAC members. One is a legal/business matter (with strong opinions), the other are people! Enthusiasts! Carnuts! I sure hope no one is confusing the two. I know I'm not. But now I'm starting to fear SAAC members may not feel likewise. I hadn't thought of that prior to KCMO's post.

I hope there's no animosity between the two groups at a people level -- that would be pointless, imo, and a huge mistake! Heck, I don't even know any SAAC members personally (at least not that I know of) and I would look forward to meeting any and all I come to know here, same as any other good people I've met here and at events.

Am I being naïve on this? Is there actually an SAAC member animosity toward Team Shelby members? If so what would be the point of that ...of disliking someone you've never even met? What rational basis would that flow from? Please tell me we're all mature enough to keep the two realms (legal and people) thoroughly separate!

Please, let's all remember, business is business and people are people. Passionate business exchanges bordering on ecxoriation happen every day and after the meeting is over both parties have lunch and share personal/life stories. Please let's never blur that line.

SAAC folks, am I being naïve on this? Is my prior business conditioning somehow blinding me from seeing some general SAAC member animosity toward Team Shelby members? Hope not, but I'd genuinely appreciate your thoughts.

Dan

It appears that feelings are high on both sides of the fence, why?

I doubt if there is anyone on this forum that has personal knowledge of all the conversations between CS and SAAC or their appointed representatives. Instead, people are relying on bits and pieces of information, some may be facts, the rest opinion, rumor and untruths. It makes no sense at all to take either position without knowing the truth.

If I licensed someone to produce acorns and I didn't like the acorns for whatever reason, I would have the undeniable right to not renew my acorn license. No matter who liked the acorns or not, I would still have the right. While this sounds a little silly, it is exactly the same thing.

I have to go take care of a pesky Chipmunk that is after my acorn stash right now, so take a few swings while I am gone. :hysterical2:

I think KCMO/John makes a good point.

I sincerely hope the SAAC membership isn't confusing the views of folks here on the legal stuff betw CS/SAAC with how Team Shelby enthusiasts might feel about SAAC enthusiasts. In my mind the two are totally different realms and my personal views on SAAC (the corporation) have no intersect whatsoever with SAAC members. One is a legal/business matter (with strong opinions), the other are people! Enthusiasts! Carnuts! I sure hope no one is confusing the two. I know I'm not. But now I'm starting to fear SAAC members may not feel likewise. I hadn't thought of that prior to KCMO's post.

I hope there's no animosity between the two groups at a people level -- that would be pointless, imo, and a huge mistake! Heck, I don't even know any SAAC members personally (at least not that I know of) and I would look forward to meeting any and all I come to know here, same as any other good people I've met here and at events.

Am I being naïve on this? Is there actually an SAAC member animosity toward Team Shelby members? If so what would be the point of that ...of disliking someone you've never even met? What rational basis would that flow from? Please tell me we're all mature enough to keep the two realms (legal and people) thoroughly separate!

Please, let's all remember, business is business and people are people. Passionate business exchanges bordering on ecxoriation happen every day and after the meeting is over both parties have lunch and share personal/life stories. Please let's never blur that line.

SAAC folks, am I being naïve on this? Is my prior business conditioning somehow blinding me from seeing some general SAAC member animosity toward Team Shelby members? Hope not, but I'd genuinely appreciate your thoughts.

Dan

You're applying logical and rational thoughts and expecting a reasonable out come. For what ever reason, some folks will get disproportionally upset and take these issues between SAI and SAAC very personally - thats why the random acts of stupidity of keying or violence occur - you just can't really be sure how some folks will react to some of the silliest of things.

guys, stop........

Nothing is going to happen, the SAAC members as well as the team Shelby Members are all good. Some times you need to just stop disecting it and let it go. ...

The SAAc members are upset and they are good people, as is this crowd, no one would ever hurt someones car.... Please can we just let this stop here?

Thanks

Amy

I doubt if there is anyone on this forum that has personal knowledge of all the conversations between CS and SAAC or their appointed representatives. Instead, people are relying on bits and pieces of information, some may be facts, the rest opinion, rumor and untruths. It makes no sense at all to take either position without knowing the truth.

If I licensed someone to produce acorns and I didn't like the acorns for whatever reason, I would have the undeniable right to not renew my acorn license. No matter who liked the acorns or not, I would still have the right. While this sounds a little silly, it is exactly the same thing.

I have to go take care of a pesky Chipmunk that is after my acorn stash right now, so take a few swings while I am gone. :hysterical2:

Argh! Your acorns are safe here post-4902-1202780219_thumb.jpg :hysterical:

post-4902-1202780219_thumb.jpg

guys, stop........

Nothing is going to happen, the SAAC members as well as the team Shelby Members are all good. Some times you need to just stop disecting it and let it go. ...

The SAAc members are upset and they are good people, as is this crowd, no one would ever hurt someones car.... Please can we just let this stop here?

Thanks

Amy

In my opinion, this whole thing has a ring to it vastly similar to the Chicago Cubs battle with the roof top owners--the Cubs contended that the product on the field and all rights to it belonged to them whereas the rooftop owners spent money upgrading their buildings and adding bleachers to the top of their private properties, although they were making money off the Cubs franchise. The Cubs and the rooftop owners were able to come to an agreement that worked for both parties and this will probably end in a similar manner---just like with that, we as fans of Carroll's/Shelby Autos have no control over the parties involved or the outcomes and would be best served to stop flaming and agitating each other, let the parties at work come to their resolution and concentrate our energies on enjoying our cars, their heritage, and the fellowship this site brings. I've been irritated by a few and I'm sure irritated yet others, but don't think a Shelby owner would intentionally damage another Shelby no matter the affiliation (and certainly none of the one's I've met here) Just my $0.02

Larry

HEY, DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF I CAN ORDER MY NEW GT500 COVERTIBLE WITH THE RALLEY STRIPES THAT RUN FROM THE FRONT CHIN SPOILER UP ONTO THE THE HOOD AND THEN CONTINUES ON THE BACK DECK LID AND DOWN THE SPOILER AND REAR BUMPER. THE DUM DEALER SHIP DOES NOT KNOW THE ANSWER SO IAM STUCK WAITING FOR THE FORD REP. TO GET BACK WITH ME. IT'S HOLDING UP MY ORDERING OF MY DROP TOP.

HEY, DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF I CAN ORDER MY NEW GT500 COVERTIBLE WITH THE RALLEY STRIPES THAT RUN FROM THE FRONT CHIN SPOILER UP ONTO THE THE HOOD AND THEN CONTINUES ON THE BACK DECK LID AND DOWN THE SPOILER AND REAR BUMPER. THE DUM DEALER SHIP DOES NOT KNOW THE ANSWER SO IAM STUCK WAITING FOR THE FORD REP. TO GET BACK WITH ME. IT'S HOLDING UP MY ORDERING OF MY DROP TOP.

They come with stripes, if you don't want them you order a stripe delete. Post this here http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showforum=137 and you might get a more clear answer from one of the dealers that live here. :hysterical2:

I originally joined SAAC over 20 years ago, let my membership lapse for quite a few years, and then re-joined about a year and a half ago. I joined Team Shelby when it started up and was excited to have another avenue to enjoy my Shelby addiction. I know SAAC has over 5000 paid members, but it's only about a dozen or so of those members that are posting the rude and negative stuff on their forums, which leads me to believe that most of the SAAC members don't want to perpetuate the problem. They ( the SAAC forum posters) certainly don't like it when somebody posts an opinion that differs from theirs. As a SAAC member I would like to know why the SAAC officers ignored the letters, phone calls and emails that they apparently received. Why wouldn't they simply provide the information that was being asked for and abide by the licensing agreement, and avoid this situation that has now occurred? Nobody seems willing to answer that question.

I was hoping to remain a member of both clubs, and maybe I will, but the way that certain SAAC moderators and administrators conduct themselves on their forum is the one reason I'm giving serious consideration to not renewing my SAAC membership. If the SAAC officers are going to allow the people who are running their forum to continue to act the way they are currently, I don't think I want to be involved with their club.

I admire the way Amy and Sharon are trying their best to keep this forum civil, and they throw one heck of a birthday party! Thanks for the great time in Vegas! Looking forward to more Team Shelby events!

acornholdup.jpg

hehehe.gif

I originally joined SAAC over 20 years ago, let my membership lapse for quite a few years, and then re-joined about a year and a half ago. I joined Team Shelby when it started up and was excited to have another avenue to enjoy my Shelby addiction. I know SAAC has over 5000 paid members, but it's only about a dozen or so of those members that are posting the rude and negative stuff on their forums, which leads me to believe that most of the SAAC members don't want to perpetuate the problem. They ( the SAAC forum posters) certainly don't like it when somebody posts an opinion that differs from theirs. As a SAAC member I would like to know why the SAAC officers ignored the letters, phone calls and emails that they apparently received. Why wouldn't they simply provide the information that was being asked for and abide by the licensing agreement, and avoid this situation that has now occurred? Nobody seems willing to answer that question.

I was hoping to remain a member of both clubs, and maybe I will, but the way that certain SAAC moderators and administrators conduct themselves on their forum is the one reason I'm giving serious consideration to not renewing my SAAC membership. If the SAAC officers are going to allow the people who are running their forum to continue to act the way they are currently, I don't think I want to be involved with their club.

I admire the way Amy and Sharon are trying their best to keep this forum civil, and they throw one heck of a birthday party! Thanks for the great time in Vegas! Looking forward to more Team Shelby events!

Absolutely one of the most coherent, rational, and non-emotional posts by a SAAC member about this topic.

Well Said & Well Done, Sir!

Keith

Oh, I found this little tidbit on Ebay... no doubt this would be one of the dozen or so members You refer to above

SAAC Legal Defense Fund hits Ebay

Maybe I can buy some stuff, cheap :hysterical2:

big deal..it is a poster with a signature...last time i checked shelby is not the guy giving the ok to let you into heaven (the legacy comment is pure arrogance)...i have never understood why people look up to any person on this planet as only 1 guy (that would be christ) can cover my butt for all the crap i have pulled on this planet....who cares what they are doing over there..worry about your family...nothing you can do about it anyhow..shelby is not god...saac is just a damn car club...the cars are just that--cars that if let out would rust and fall back into the earth..enjoy your car and have fun...both sides in this matter have lost touch with reality..rant off..snoots

Ditto (close anyway) I've never been a "member" of SAAC, just a spending supporter since the beginning days.

It bothers me that they are asking for donations on saacforum.

saac.com is owned by a tatoo shop??? Registered by this Dave DD DW guy on network solutions. What Bank account is this "Donate" button hooked to?

If he keeps talking, Team Shelby won't have to worry about SAAC for long. I feel bad for Rick, they really don't come any better than him.

Why would Rick even allow some third party to own and operate it in this manner. Are the donations going to SAAC? Bad situation.......................

Next the IRS will be asking the same questions. sheeesh

I'm bothered by a LOT of things going on. I can't even explain how I feel.

Sorry for things being said over their everyone.

ShelbyGuy

Absolutely one of the most coherent, rational, and non-emotional posts by a SAAC member about this topic.

Well Said & Well Done, Sir!

Keith

Oh, I found this little tidbit on Ebay... no doubt this would be one of the dozen or so members You refer to above

SAAC Legal Defense Fund hits Ebay

Exactly, and WHO is the money going to?

What pockets?

Sorry guys (over at SAAC) but these question might be why no one is bidding. Take note

EVEN YOUR supporters are asking

ShelbyGuy

The ONLY way to get over the top stripes on a CONVT is to order a red stripe package. Convertibles DO NOT have over the top as an option.

i hope this helps

michael morris

Ditto (close anyway) I've never been a "member" of SAAC, just a spending supporter since the beginning days.

It bothers me that they are asking for donations on saacforum.

saac.com is owned by a tatoo shop??? Registered by this Dave DD DW guy on network solutions. What Bank account is this "Donate" button hooked to?

If he keeps talking, Team Shelby won't have to worry about SAAC for long. I feel bad for Rick, they really don't come any better than him.

Why would Rick even allow some third party to own and operate it in this manner. Are the donations going to SAAC? Bad situation.......................

Next the IRS will be asking the same questions. sheeesh

I'm bothered by a LOT of things going on. I can't even explain how I feel.

Sorry for things being said over their everyone.

ShelbyGuy

i agree..i have about had it with both groups and this hobby in general..may be i will just get a chia pet..its about money on both sides...all we are missing is a few hookers in a bikini in bed with either party..this stinks of money (cars be damned)....snoots..rant off

Archived