TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gear Marking ?

Count the number of teeth on the ring gear and count the number of teeth on the pinion and

divide the pinion teeth into the ring teeth and that will tell you the ratio

Art

Bravo! Another true gearhead speaks.

I got my gears today and has any body that has a set of Ford gears know if they have any stamped numbers on them? I do know they are 4:10.

On the back side of the stock SGT 3.55 differential ring gear there are three raised numbers "355" cast into the gear.

I replaced the stock gears with FRPP 4.10's but I can't tell you if the new gear had the rasied numbers or not since it is now inside differential case.

Well I found out that they where FRPP but that they where the one's made by Motive. The PN on the box ended with an M. I am not sure I want to us them. I have read a lot about the Motive gears whinning.

I did count the teeth. They are 4:10 and they are new.

Well I found out that they where FRPP but that they where the one's made by Motive. The PN on the box ended with an M. I am not sure I want to us them. I have read a lot about the Motive gears whinning.

I did count the teeth. They are 4:10 and they are new.

i also have heard that the motive gears sometimes whine. i contacted pyle bros.in houston which is suppose to be the best in the area and told them i would like to change to 390 gears as these are right between the 355 and 410 gears. they told me that they install factory replacement gears and motive gears are foreign made and sometimes whine. they recomended 373 or 410 gears so as to have factory gears.i have decided to wait and think about it.

I got my gears today and has any body that has a set of Ford gears know if they have any stamped numbers on them? I do know they are 4:10.

If you look at the bottom of the Pinion Gear the numbers on it will end with 4.10. also counting the teeth on the ring & Pinion and dividing the smaller into the larger no.hydro

i also have heard that the motive gears sometimes whine. i contacted pyle bros.in houston which is suppose to be the best in the area and told them i would like to change to 390 gears as these are right between the 355 and 410 gears. they told me that they install factory replacement gears and motive gears are foreign made and sometimes whine. they recomended 373 or 410 gears so as to have factory gears.i have decided to wait and think about it.

for a quick street car the stock 3.55s or the 3.73s will be youre best bet if youre going to be draging on the weekends more than crusing around the 4.10s would be the best bet.

they told me that they install factory replacement gears and motive gears are foreign made and sometimes whine. they recomended 373 or 410 gears so as to have factory gears.i have decided to wait and think about it.

Actually, all gears whine. How bad loud depends on the quality of the setup.

I may be superstitious here, but I believe that once you crack open a factory sub-assembly, such as an engine, tranny or rear end, it doesn't always go back together exactly the same way.

Archived