TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT-H Owners--Why did you purchase this car?

jvmax

Just as the title states. I have always been a fan of the black with gold stripe cars of the 60's, I rented one last year and I was sold on it. Perfect combination of looks, performance, heritage, and lastly EXCLUSIVITY!!! As you can tell by my current collection, I like owning rare cars and special editions.

Just as the title states. I have always been a fan of the black with gold stripe cars of the 60's, I rented one last year and I was sold on it. Perfect combination of looks, performance, heritage, and lastly EXCLUSIVITY!!! As you can tell by my current collection, I like owning rare cars and special editions.

I bought my first Mustang in 1968 and have not stopped since (except for a time when the kids and my income were smaller). I was about to cross back to the "dark side" and buy a C6 Corvette when my I got my senses back! :)

Bought GT-H #135 instead! Had wanted an original GT-H but that was not a good fiscal choice as I buy cars to drive not collect. The GT500 did not seem like a good car to drive every day to work so the GT-H was my best option.

I bought my first Mustang in 1968 and have not stopped since (except for a time when the kids and my income were smaller). I was about to cross back to the "dark side" and buy a C6 Corvette when my I got my senses back! :)

Bought GT-H #135 instead! Had wanted an original GT-H but that was not a good fiscal choice as I buy cars to drive not collect. The GT500 did not seem like a good car to drive every day to work so the GT-H was my best option.

There are several posts in this section about #135. Do a search on 06H135. There are pictures of it in the Mustangs NW 2006 Pony Trails and Big Show slide shows. It was the GT-H with the hood up at the Big Show.

I also became interested in the GT-H because of its low production #s, it is also history repeating itself, since I'm 37 I wasn't around when these cars came around the first time. I also have other low production cars- 1986 monte carlo SS aerocoupe 1 of 200 produced , Dodge power wagon 2500 produced in 2005. I really like having cars that most other people don't have. We had planned to rent a GT-H vert 2 weeks before we bought 06H304, We got the whole Hertz Shelby experience in 1 month. I really lucked out with my car & can't wait for spring time so I can enjoy it some. I also have 1988 LX 5.0 coupe that my father bought while I was in high school , The 2 Mustangs will go good together.

I rented #211 GT-H in Tampa in the summer of 2006 and fell in love with the car. I had so much fun just driving it around and having everyone ask me questions about it at every light I got stopped at. So when the prices finally came down to a price I could afford, I couldn't pass it up and bought #97 right before Thanksgiving. Bottom line; it's a blast to drive!

There are several posts in this section about #135. Do a search on 06H135. There are pictures of it in the Mustangs NW 2006 Pony Trails and Big Show slide shows. It was the GT-H with the hood up at the Big Show.

Thanks for the info. I was able to locate a couple of pictures we took of the car and another Mustangs Northwest pal had another 5 pictures that included the license # and the CSM # under the hood!

I will be requesting that other club members search their photo archives for us!

I purchased a GT-H because it appeared a GT500KR was going to be too hard and expensive to find. I have a GT500 and decided that buying a GT-H would be much less expensive, 500 less of them on the street vs the KR, and I have 2 Shelby Autos instead of 1. My wife can also drive the GT-H but not the 6 speed GT500. Neither of the cars are daily drivers and should retain their value above normal.

The first I saw the news of this car in March of 2006, I was in lust. I spent many hours on the phone with different Hertz representatives making sure that I could secure one for the June 2006 Rocky Mountain Mustang Round-up. Luckily, they received some in Denver just before that and I was able to make that happen and had an absolute blast with #100. I knew that someday I would own one. However the prices they were bringing at sale was way out there. I'm happy that they finally dropped enought to get in my price range. I really wanted #100 and my local Ford dealership in Brighton, CO ended up with #100. However their price was also way out there. It finally sold, so I was off looking for others. I went to that dreaded Kruse auction in Charlotte hoping to get the right deal. Since that was a bust I kept searching. I'm finally picking up #102 this weekend and I'm stoked. I've been a Mustang fan all of my life and have owned many, mostly fox bodies. I still have a couple. However the Hertz car has been my passion for the past couple years. Being the original owner after Hertz I think carries quite a bit of importance for documentation, so right now I think is about the only time to make that happen. There's still quite a few out there at dealers, however most of them are not budging on their prices at all. Some dealers are still trying to get over $70K for these. Now that the supply is dwindling, perhaps they will at some point. Who knows? I'm not that concerned with values in the next few years as I have no plans of selling for many, many years, if ever. Here's a story which has been printed in a few places after my rental in 2006:

Hertz Shelby article

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted a 1966 GT 350 H. Could not afford a real one and almost purchased an awsome clone in Florida. The car is perfect. Found the GTH and thought this is an opprotunity to have a real Shelby and tied to the history of the 1966 (40th anniversary).

Wether history repeats itself as it relates to value dosen't matter. It is a Shelby and most likely will never happen again. Thanks Mr. Shelby for allowing me to be a Shelby owner and be part of the history.

The other caviot to this was the car purchase was for my 50th birthday, few months early. The GTH ended up being 06H0050. Ment to be! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

The first I saw the news of this car in March of 2006, I was in lust. I spent many hours on the phone with different Hertz representatives making sure that I could secure one for the June 2006 Rocky Mountain Mustang Round-up. Luckily, they received some in Denver just before that and I was able to make that happen and had an absolute blast with #100. I knew that someday I would own one. However the prices they were bringing at sale was way out there. I'm happy that they finally dropped enought to get in my price range. I really wanted #100 and my local Ford dealership in Brighton, CO ended up with #100. However their price was also way out there. It finally sold, so I was off looking for others. I went to that dreaded Kruse auction in Charlotte hoping to get the right deal. Since that was a bust I kept searching. I'm finally picking up #102 this weekend and I'm stoked. I've been a Mustang fan all of my life and have owned many, mostly fox bodies. I still have a couple. However the Hertz car has been my passion for the past couple years. Being the original owner after Hertz I think carries quite a bit of importance for documentation, so right now I think is about the only time to make that happen. There's still quite a few out there at dealers, however most of them are not budging on their prices at all. Some dealers are still trying to get over $70K for these. Now that the supply is dwindling, perhaps they will at some point. Who knows? I'm not that concerned with values in the next few years as I have no plans of selling for many, many years, if ever. Here's a story which has been printed in a few places after my rental in 2006:

Hertz Shelby article

Jeff

Just read your article. Very interesting and a nice find on my part. I am going to go and rent a Hertz Mustang. I drove a shelby gt (my friend's) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't understand how people down Ford so much. I really enjoyed the comfort of the seats and fun factor.

Just wanted to let you know that people like msyelf enjoyed your article.

why a gh-h. i saw a proto type couple of years ago at the shelby meet in tulsa. the car cought my eye. i told my wife maybe we could get one some day. then i saw the first few come out of the fleet bringing 65k plus i told her never mind. i was in springfield mo. june 2007 they had one but they wanted 65k for the car telling me they bought it for 62k. sept, oct 2007 i got on ebay and seen the prices fall out, so i called the dealer back they wouldn't take anthing less for the one they had, but just recieved one at aution. we were able to come to an agreement three weeks later we drove her home. why a shelby gt-h, the legond 1 of 500, 40th aniversary of the rent a race car program, black and gold. have you driven one. lots of fun. thanks gene

Archived