TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Quick questions - Hopefully, quick answers!

Willie

Is the t-stat located in the housing where the two upper radiator hoses merge into one? I've searched and found discussion about the t-stat but I cannot seem to find anyone that points to where it's located.

What is its opening point? I've datalogged a consistent 202 degrees regardless of conditions so I'm thinking it's a 185. In my '05 GT with a stock 185, it runs consistently at 200 degrees. Thanks all..!!

Willie

Normal position for a T stat is between the upper radiator hose and the engine block. It measures the temperature of the water in the engine not the radiator. Why do you ask?

Art

Thanks for the info Art. You are correct in the typical t-stat location. That's what leads me to believe it's in the "merge" assembly on the upper radiator hose. I'm asking because this will be my first mod. I'm going to lower the coolant operating temps and lower the low/high speed fan turn-on points. FYI, I write my own tune files.

Here is a couple handy pic's.

Perfect Grabber! The lower pic says it all. The t-stat is in fact where I suspected it to be.

Thanks all..!!

Willie

That would be it, right over by the coolant temp sensor. I have a 180 in my car, and it runs 180-176 on the highway, and a little warmer in the city. I do have the fan temps adjusted in the tune.

The factory one is a high flow piece. The F150s trucks use a medium sized plunger at some points, at one point I ordered a lightning t-stat and it was 180* from the factory and had a larger plunger. I could not find one like that this time, so I got a regular 180 and drilled a few extra holes in it.

Been out of action for a couple of days with some sort of stomach bug.....

More good info Justin. I have a high-flow 160 t-stat that fits the 4.6. I'm hoping it fits the 5.4. The drilled holes is an old SBC trick that I heard of a long time ago. I do this to all the Chevy's I've own / owned.

Willie

Archived