TEAM SHELBY FORUM

NEW revised hood scoop issue

I had my new rivet installed revised mold hood scoop installed 4 weeks ago, looked awesome, BUT now where it meets the hood the vinyl stripe is pushing back at numerous area around the scoop! almost like the scoop is moving when car is driven and slowly pushes back the vinyl beyond the scoop so it now shows on the edges. anyone else had this issue? guess back to the dealer again :(

I had my new rivet installed revised mold hood scoop installed 4 weeks ago, looked awesome, BUT now where it meets the hood the vinyl stripe is pushing back at numerous area around the scoop! almost like the scoop is moving when car is driven and slowly pushes back the vinyl beyond the scoop so it now shows on the edges. anyone else had this issue? guess back to the dealer again :(

Something to consider here.

There are four components involved in this problem. A metal hood, a fiberglass scoop, aluminum rivets and vinyl decals, all of which will react to changes in temperature.

If you live in the sunshine/tropical belts, temps can be rather stable, within reason. If you live in the snow belts, life can be harsh for such components.

This past Jan. 2 and 3, I was in zero degrees OAT, with a wind chill ranging from -12 to -17. Within three days that, 56 degrees! This kind of temp swing in short bursts will cause the components mentioned to swell and shrink based on their individual chemestry. OTOH, regardless of where you live, all of it is affected by engine bay temps.

I don't have an answer for your problem, just a possible cause to consider. Frankly, I don't know what to expect when LuLu comes out in the spring. Last time I looked, everything looked fine. But, after her first taste of zero OAT, who knows?

Keep us posted?

Any pictures available?

$4729, likewise no issues...Yet. Maybe we got a factory fix?

Could be. My dealer still has #3831 i believe and you should see that one. You can darn near stick your little finger under the passenger side.

When i get some time, i think i will take some pics and post them. Mines not perfect but i really don't think your going to get it any better.

• 2 weeks later...
give me couple of days, ill need someone i can email them to who can post as i have had bad luck posting pics before here

I stopped by pacific ford in longbeach today just to look at the blue 08 gt, GUESS WHAT the hood scoop had the same pushing back of the hood stripe around the scoop and believe it or not in the exact same 6 or 8 places as mine. i think we will be hearing alot more of this very soon, im heading back to my dealer next week to have this figured out

Could it have been riveting down too tight to the hood? Is that possible to do that ?

Mine is riveted now...lays flat..no stripe issue....i just have the crease about 3-4 inches from the front of the scoop. (like it's caving in there where the foam insert stops )

Ughhhhh this is just getting worse and worse.

Sue

Could it have been riveting down too tight to the hood? Is that possible to do that ?

Mine is riveted now...lays flat..no stripe issue....i just have the crease about 3-4 inches from the front of the scoop. (like it's caving in there where the foam insert stops )

Ughhhhh this is just getting worse and worse.

Sue

I am not an SGT owner but have seen quite a few so I thought I would chime in...

I believe the crease you are talking about is a normal part of the scoop. Also in regards to the vinyl stripes being pushed, I think I understand what you are referring to and it sounds to me like it is a poor fit of the scoop that is causing it (like it is loose and able to move). I have a friend who has one and drilled and bolted his scoop all the way around due to poor fitment to fix it himself.

Regardless, 3M double backed tape on vinyl is a poor idea (if this is the way the scoops are installed) as the adhesive quality is only as good as the weakest adhesive used. In this case it is the adhesive on the vinyl. You can pull the vinyl stripes off with your hand so basically that is what is holding your hood scoop on (with the addition of a few screws). If the scoop is not secured firmly by screws or bolts then you will see separation and movement, which could cause your issue.

I am not an SGT owner but have seen quite a few so I thought I would chime in...

I believe the crease you are talking about is a normal part of the scoop. Also in regards to the vinyl stripes being pushed, I think I understand what you are referring to and it sounds to me like it is a poor fit of the scoop that is causing it (like it is loose and able to move). I have a friend who has one and drilled and bolted his scoop all the way around due to poor fitment to fix it himself.

Regardless, 3M double backed tape on vinyl is a poor idea (if this is the way the scoops are installed) as the adhesive quality is only as good as the weakest adhesive used. In this case it is the adhesive on the vinyl. You can pull the vinyl stripes off with your hand so basically that is what is holding your hood scoop on (with the addition of a few screws). If the scoop is not secured firmly by screws or bolts then you will see separation and movement, which could cause your issue.

This is not a normal crease :

012.jpg

010.jpg

007.jpg

007.jpg

This is not a normal crease :

012.jpg

010.jpg

007.jpg

007.jpg

Damn!

That is not what I was talking about. Not normal for sure. Looks like the scoop is warped. I was referring to the edge that can be felt about a thrid of the way back on the sides of the scoop where it turns down. Feels like a ridge and can be seen easily. I have noticed it on all scoops.

Was it always that way or did it warp over time?

It's a shame, but you will have to visit the dealership again. The white stripe on my hood is bubbling. I am paying to have the entire scoop painted, because the painted scoop doesn't match the grey stripes (not just mine, most of them). Then, I will have the white striped painted on it and they will clear the enitre scoop. It will look good. I will post up pics when it's done.

A fellow club member had to have a fender painted because there was "trash" in the paint and a few other issues. His 08 Shelby was delivered a few weeks before Xmas.

I bought my car the last week on November. I can't believe all of the issues we are all having. Unbelievable!

Wow Sue, I'm really sorry to see that. When people said small crease, I didn't expect to see a very noticeable cave-in. They really need to figure this out. I would tell you to be patient, but I can see how so many of you are getting so frustrated over the whole situation. :banghead: I'm sure SAI is just as frustrated also, but at least they're trying. 10 weeks is a way off, so I guess you'll have to wait and see what happens.

Good luck

Dave

Damn!

That is not what I was talking about. Not normal for sure. Looks like the scoop is warped. I was referring to the edge that can be felt about a thrid of the way back on the sides of the scoop where it turns down. Feels like a ridge and can be seen easily. I have noticed it on all scoops.

Was it always that way or did it warp over time?

My first scoop had the same type crease you have. When they (SDAI) replaced the scoop it looks perfect. I have not put many miles on mine since the fix -1200mi, but I do not see any issues with mine.

RP

Perhaps a think rubber gasket needs to be incorporated into the overall design of the hood scoop? Something to serve as a barrier between scoop and hood surface. This should help, I would think.

Archived