TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front License Plate Bracket

614HSO

For those of you that have rec'd your cars, what have you done in regards to mounting the front license plate bracket and plate?

In my mind it equates to and would border on a criminal offence to punch or perforate holes in the front of this car to attach the plate. I have asked my dealer not to install a front plate or bracket period.

Looking at pictures of 07 Shelby's coupe it does not appear as though the factory has done anything special for this other than maybe shipping a bracket in the truck for the dealer to mount?

I imagine that this must be a common request by everyone, has any delivering dealers given anyone a hard time on this issue?

For those of you that have rec'd your cars, what have you done in regards to mounting the front license plate bracket and plate?

In my mind it equates to and would border on a criminal offence to punch or perforate holes in the front of this car to attach the plate. I have asked my dealer not to install a front plate or bracket period.

Looking at pictures of 07 Shelby's coupe it does not appear as though the factory has done anything special for this other than maybe shipping a bracket in the truck for the dealer to mount?

I imagine that this must be a common request by everyone, has any delivering dealers given anyone a hard time on this issue?

The Dealer had no problem with throwing the Bracket into the Trunk. They actually poined out a spot under the Bumper that a homemade mount could be placed. There are two 'Screw Guide Dimples' on the Front Bumper to mount the Bracket if the Law becomes irritated. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Quebec and the Four Maritime Provinces do not require a Front Plate. What's up Ontario!! Actually I've heard that the Front Plate may be dropped by early next year. Of course Plating a car will become no Cheaper!

No Problems with this - We dont need them in Alberta. Thank God

Put the plate in the front window, eventually some cop will give you a hard time or a ticket, just fight the ticket.

This car is going to draw attention anyway you look at it. It's the kind of attention I do not want from some however. Like the boys in blue, even if most of 'em drive Fords.

The front of this car has the biggest viual impact that says it is not your average Mustang.

The plate has no place on the nose of my new toy.

Believe it or not my car did not come with one. Why I don't know, but as some of you know, I was there the day my 500 came off the truck so I was able to go through it even before the dealer handled it, so unless it was stolen in transit, I know that the factory did not place one in the car.

No matter. My thoughts are to use two strips of 3" wide Velcro to secure the plate when the law finally forces me to mount it on the front of the car. That way I can remove the plate at will, and if the remaining strips bother me, I can peel them off and use some adheasive remover to clean up amy remaining glue residue left on the bumper cover.

The Dealer had no problem with throwing the Bracket into the Trunk. They actually poined out a spot under the Bumper that a homemade mount could be placed. There are two 'Screw Guide Dimples' on the Front Bumper to mount the Bracket if the Law becomes irritated. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Quebec and the Four Maritime Provinces do not require a Front Plate. What's up Ontario!! Actually I've heard that the Front Plate may be dropped by early next year. Of course Plating a car will become no Cheaper!

So what are you doing with your front plate ?

I will be checking with Joe DaSilva of DaSilva racing and get him to make one for us to use. I've known Joe since 1984 and trust him with whatever I send him. We had him fabricate some brackets for us to use on 03-04 Cobras, which mounted under the mid-bumper so as not to drill holes in the front cap. With the bracket it looked stock when you saw it from the front as it was the right height, but up close you saw the modded bracket. The nice thing about it was that it was far enough out that it didn't rub under high-speed, and was easily removed for track-duty to improve airflow.

I'm sure Joe will be able to come up with something for the Shelby.

I will be checking with Joe DaSilva of DaSilva racing and get him to make one for us to use. I've known Joe since 1984 and trust him with whatever I send him. We had him fabricate some brackets for us to use on 03-04 Cobras, which mounted under the mid-bumper so as not to drill holes in the front cap. With the bracket it looked stock when you saw it from the front as it was the right height, but up close you saw the modded bracket. The nice thing about it was that it was far enough out that it didn't rub under high-speed, and was easily removed for track-duty to improve airflow.

I'd pay to get in on something like that Let me know if this is something we can participate on. I have seen Joe's work and think they are awesome!

Barry

Keep us in the Loop marawder.

I'd pay to get in on something like that Let me know if this is something we can participate on. I have seen Joe's work and think they are awesome!

Barry

I'll be seeing Joe this weekend as I'll be playing show and tell. I can ask if he has something.

• 1 month later...

Heres a link to some pics of a bracket someone made up for Saleens. It could very well fit (or be close to fitting) Shelbys. Johnnyvax and I are going to contact a shett metal guy here in Ottawa to try and get some made up. I've got the measurements for my Saleen, just need the Shelby ones to see how close they are. Im thinking either a solid plate (like the ones in the photo) or perhaps 2 thin bars, one on left and one on right ends of the plate (bars would reduce drag when you take hte plate off for racing compared to a full backplate)

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_1479438/tm.htm

Here is mine.... too much focus around here on the rice rockets without front plates and I don't want to become a target... Posted speed limits are tough enough to get around....!!!

yeah and I think they will clamp down. Most cops can understand opening up your toy a little (within reason) as most folks with these sorts of cars are longtime drivers. Running without a plate, you either play stupid and look like an idiot ('you mean I can't have the plate on the front seat?') or you are admitting to purposfully breaking the law which is a direct disrespect to the cop and probably isnt a smart thing to do if you want to hold out hope for a warning on your speed instead of 4 demerits

yeah and I think they will clamp down. Most cops can understand opening up your toy a little (within reason) as most folks with these sorts of cars are longtime drivers. Running without a plate, you either play stupid and look like an idiot ('you mean I can't have the plate on the front seat?') or you are admitting to purposfully breaking the law which is a direct disrespect to the cop and probably isnt a smart thing to do if you want to hold out hope for a warning on your speed instead of 4 demerits

Since the picture I posted I have received the personalized plates BITTEN07 and added the smoke tint plate covers so they don't stick out as much... My thought, can always change the bumper cover if they ever eliminate the front plate, likely from the money saved on paying the tickets...

Bert

Since the picture I posted I have received the personalized plates BITTEN07 and added the smoke tint plate covers so they don't stick out as much... My thought, can always change the bumper cover if they ever eliminate the front plate, likely from the money saved on paying the tickets...

Bert

Now you're in trouble, the smoked cover plates are illegal and a $105 fine in Ontario. I know people that got tickets. Canadian Tire and other stores pulled them off the shelf a year or two ago so how did you find them???? by the way, the blue ones are too...........only the clear allowed.

Now you're in trouble, the smoked cover plates are illegal and a $105 fine in Ontario. I know people that got tickets. Canadian Tire and other stores pulled them off the shelf a year or two ago so how did you find them???? by the way, the blue ones are too...........only the clear allowed.

Thanks for the reply... I got them at Canadian Tire yesterday... lots on the shelf. Cop friends of mine tell me no problem as long as the plate is visible. I have them on our 66 Valiant Convert and had them on my 95 Probe GT with no issues. I will be visiting them (cop friends) tomorrow and will let you know what kind of reaction I get.

Bert

Here is mine.... too much focus around here on the rice rockets without front plates and I don't want to become a target... Posted speed limits are tough enough to get around....!!!

OH NO!! Thats really not good. I told my dealer to leave mine off I'll take my chance's.If they put to much pressure about it I'll make a bracket.

Thanks for the reply... I got them at Canadian Tire yesterday... lots on the shelf. Cop friends of mine tell me no problem as long as the plate is visible. I have them on our 66 Valiant Convert and had them on my 95 Probe GT with no issues. I will be visiting them (cop friends) tomorrow and will let you know what kind of reaction I get.

Bert

ok.................it even warns you on the packaging. Can I have your friends name and badge # for the judge :):shift:

As my dear OPP buddies tell me, If you lie to them about not knowing about the front plate rule, you will most likely get a ticket. Having a nice car without a front plate is a give away as to your true intent anyhow!

If you're up front with them, 98% will understand and start asking you about the car before wishing you a nice day. As one friend said, we're "looking for Ricer Kids who have attitudes, not old farts in GT500s"!

As my dear OPP buddies tell me, If you lie to them about not knowing about the front plate rule, you will most likely get a ticket. Having a nice car without a front plate is a give away as to your true intent anyhow!

If you're up front with them, 98% will understand and start asking you about the car before wishing you a nice day. As one friend said, we're "looking for Ricer Kids who have attitudes, not old farts in GT500s"!

Hey, who's an old fart.... you been peaking haven't you!!

Archived