TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Question about removing a car part

sdear

Trying to figure out what car part I want to bring to the bash to get signed.

I plan on bringing my visor...but does anyone know if that black strip just above the glove box comes off indepnedently of the whole air bag unit?

We feel like 3 screws underneath it, but don't want to attempt taking it off if it's all part of the air bag assembly.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks,

Sue

The airbag cover is the cover of choice for me.First disconnect the battery, There are 2 bolts to remove, then disconnect the airbag wires, use your fingers to gently and evenly push on the plastic tabs (i think 6).

The airbag assembly will come out. Once you have the airbag out , then you can remove the cover by manipulating the cover up or down , and the cover will separate from the airbag. Really no big deal. You will see what i mean when you get this far.Good luck You can do it!!

Thanks guys...

I wasn't wanting to take the airbag cover off...but the black strip just below the silver....just above the glove box. Just trying to figure out if that is part of the whole air bag set up . It almost looks like it could be a seperate piece that would come off.

Thanks guys...

I wasn't wanting to take the airbag cover off...but the black strip just below the silver....just above the glove box. Just trying to figure out if that is part of the whole air bag set up . It almost looks like it could be a seperate piece that would come off.

It is definitely NOT part of the airbag assembly

Sue, the air bag cover is not that bad of a deal to remove. And bring your Shelby window sticker for him to sign as you freebee!

Took the air bag out this evening. Took my time as I never removed on this car. Thanks RIHARLEY for the assistance! :)

You need an 8 and 7 MM socket and a small flat head screwdriver.

Disconnect the battery and let set for about an hour. 8 MM for the battery. Open the glove box and squeeze the 2 sides together and let the box hang.

Take the small screwdriver and press the center pin in the wire harness connector to release and pull the connector out.

There are two 8 MM bolts that hold the air bag on the frame, remove them.

There are 6 plastic clips along the bottom edge and 4 on the side to release.

Then push on the rear of the airbag and it will pop out.

Place on a bench and you will see the how the cover attaches and you will see how the cover removes.

Puttting it all together takes about 15-20 min. Taking out takes about 30 min. taking your time.

Thanks Roger !!! Maybe I will get Rich to attempt this for me.

If not, I will bring the visor . Good idea on the window sticker !

Roger...Rich wanted me to ask...does having the battery off that long erase the tune put in by Shelby? He said he thought he read somewhere you can loose the tune?

Also...have you noticed how close that plane is getting to the car in my signature??? yipppeeeeeeee :lol:

Thanks Roger !!! Maybe I will get Rich to attempt this for me.

If not, I will bring the visor . Good idea on the window sticker !

Roger...Rich wanted me to ask...does having the battery off that long erase the tune put in by Shelby? He said he thought he read somewhere you can loose the tune?

Also...have you noticed how close that plane is getting to the car in my signature??? yipppeeeeeeee :lol:

If he wants to attempt it have him give me a call.

I don't think the tune goes away. But I am not sure. And yes that Plane is gett closer!!

Thanks..i will have him call you before he tries it. First I want to find out if the tune goes away..if it does, we won't remove it unless they can send it to me :P

I will pm John and ask him i guess.

Give Bud a call on Wednesday. Knowing Bud, he will be in work about 7:30 AM our time.

I cant wait to see the pics of Auto with the imprint of the dash board in his forehead from him accidently setting off the airbag! Than you can just have Carrol sign your husbands head!LOL :)

ROFLMAOOOOO !!! Only problem is...my hubby isn't going to vegas....or should I just bring his head?? :o :o :lol::lol:

OFF WITH HIS HEAD !!!! :P

I'm interested if the Shelby tune will be erased also when the battery is dissconected. I would think that the tune would remain after all what happans if your battery goes dead or you have the change batteries ? My guess is that the tune is saved in memory.

Removal of the airbag assembly isn't that difficult. Only thing i'd like to add to the set of instructions posted above is.....

On the passenger side floor area, along the kick panel is a small cover. Remove the cover to gain access to a small fuse panel. You have to pull the 10amp fuse (circuit 17 if memory serves me correctly) to disable the airbag circuit BEFORE disconnecting the battery. To assure if you pulled the correct fuse, simply put the key in the "Key on, engine off" position and look at your gauges. You should see the yellow airbag check light illuminate and stay lit. If it goes out, you pulled the wrong fuse. If it stays lit, you got the correct fuse. Remove the key and disconnect the battery. Wait 1 minute, then go ahead and remove the airbag from the car.

To separate the airbag from the cover assembly, i simply pushed away the pliable plastic housing openings away from the steel airbag "fingers". I was able to free the airbag assembly away from the cover using this method. Just make sure you make a notation on which way the airbag goes back into the cover assembly so it goes back correctly.

Archived