TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Heavy Shelby GT 500

PhotoRick

I am a new member here and heard about this great forum form my buddies at IMBOC (Int. Mustang Bullitt Owners Club).

I own a Bullitt which weights about 3300 lbs. An 04 Cobra weighs roughly 3650 and those who own both a Bullitt and a Cobra say that the Cobra feels heavier and not quite as agile as the Bullitt.

Then we have this rocket ship Shelby GT 500. Tons of power but tons of weight too. The reported weight is very close to 4000 lbs. I was very disappointed to learn that the new Shelby will be so heavy. A 67 Shelby GT 350 owner has reported that his car weighs less than 3000 lbs.

Has there been much discussion about the weight and the road handling of the new Shelby?

What do you think about the weight? It will certainly affect performance.

Are most 07 GT 500 enthusiasts interested only in straight line performance or BOTH straight line performance AND road performance.

Please share your thoughts!

Welcome to the club...

Yes the GT500 is heavy. The car will weigh in at 3850 dry. Funny thing is that since the concept car was released in April, people have been clamouring about one thing or another. I'll list the one's I remember..

1. IRS vs. SRA

2. Hood redesign

3. Changes from concept (tires size, spoiler, brakes, etc)

4. Price

5. Weight

As I see, the GT500 will be a predominately a straight line performance car. Its going to be hard to beat in a drag race. Of course, there are cars out there (production and owner modified) that will /can hand this car its a**.

Because the car is heavy and has an unfavorable F/R weight ratio it "probably" will not be the best handling track car. I say probably because no one has any performance numbers or review on it yet. But I find it hard to believe that it will not be a fun car to track. Might not be the fastest or most stable but if you want that go buy something else. The way some of the people make it sound is that the car will refuse to turn. I can almost read it now.

GT500 handling review.

"took the car to the track, rocketed off the start, came to the first corner and because of the weight of the car the brakes failed and the steering could not overcome the inertia of the car, drove into the first gravel pit, got out, packed my bags and went home."

Not every car can do everything well. The cars that can were designed that way.

I'd recommend to sit tight, wait for the car to released to the public and we should get a much better idea of what it is capable of.

I don't recall exactly what was said, but I thought that the handling numbers on the car were pretty impressive in the early Road and Track atricle ? ...even WITH the SRA...

I don't recall exactly what was said, but I thought that the handling numbers on the car were pretty impressive in the early Road and Track atricle ? ...even WITH the SRA...

Correction....I just found the article....it was Car and Driver....and they were talking .9+ skidpad numbers even with the weight.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...article_id=9638

Archived