TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Pacton 2200 HO

hypersurf1

I question your number and methodology sorry.

Okay...Not a problem.

Install a 2.90 pulley on your supercharger and run your SGT down the 1320 half a dozen times.

When you break, call me. I'm at 312.401.1396.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay...Not a problem.

Install a 2.90 pulley on your supercharger and run your SGT down the 1320 half a dozen times.

When you break, call me. I'm at 312.401.1396.

THE 4.6 ENGINE STOCK WON'T LAST LONG AT 500 HORSE AND 6000 RPM. MINE BLEW IN THE FIRST 10 MINUTES....PISTONS ARE WAY TOO WEAK...TOP SKIRTS BLEW RIGHT OFF. NOT DONE YET, BUT AM INSTALLING DIAMOND PISTONS, MANLEY RODS , CRANE CAMS AND SPRINGS, PORTED HEADS AND BALANCED CRANK, HOPEFULLY BACK TO THE DYNO IN ABOUT 2 WEEKS.

THE 4.6 ENGINE STOCK WON'T LAST LONG AT 500 HORSE AND 6000 RPM. MINE BLEW IN THE FIRST 10 MINUTES....PISTONS ARE WAY TOO WEAK...TOP SKIRTS BLEW RIGHT OFF. NOT DONE YET, BUT AM INSTALLING DIAMOND PISTONS, MANLEY RODS , CRANE CAMS AND SPRINGS, PORTED HEADS AND BALANCED CRANK, HOPEFULLY BACK TO THE DYNO IN ABOUT 2 WEEKS.

Y'all...Told ya...And, six large later CHOPPERS will be back on the pavement.

Sorry about your loss CHOPPERS, send me your USPS address to SergntMac@aol.com and I'll try an give you a hand on the repairs. I never like seeing anyone lose an engine. But, maybe it will help save some souls here too.

Dunno...They are a hard-headed crew here. Not until they see their own blood will they understand.

Choppers, Sorry to hear about that. :( This was on your Shelby GT-H? What model Paxton? that was 500rwhp? Who did the install and who did the tune? Ten minutes and the motor blows, something must have been seriously wrong. They blew the motor on the dyno? Would appreciate some info.

Dave

Funny alot of HO Whipple kits installed by Shelby and I haven't heard of any grenading yet?

Do you have any imagination of what kind of ba*ls it takes to come back on-line and admit to the world that you blew an engine? Not your every-day confession, sir.

There's a lot going on out here on the street, and just because you haven't heard about it doesn't mean it's not happening.

Shelby is rather conservative with their blower installs and I cannot blame them.

But, well...Go ahead and wind it up already. You have a 4.6L-3V and a supercharger. Like Mick Jagger sings..."Start me up!"

Go ahead...Install a 2.90 pulley on your Whipple and push it past the edge...But, don't call me.

Do you have any imagination of what kind of ba*ls it takes to come back on-line and admit to the world that you blew an engine? Not your every-day confession, sir.

There's a lot going on out here on the street, and just because you haven't heard about it doesn't mean it's not happening.

Shelby is rather conservative with their blower installs and I cannot blame them.

But, well...Go ahead and wind it up already. You have a 4.6L-3V and a supercharger. Like Mick Jagger sings..."Start me up!"

Go ahead...Install a 2.90 pulley on your Whipple and push it past the edge...But, don't call me.

YOU ARE RIGHT, IT HAPPENED BEFORE THANKSGIVING, I WAS FREAKING OUT, I COULDN'T BELIEVE THIS <bleep> JUST HAPPENED, GUESS I FINALLY GOT OVER IT AND AM LETTING YOU ALL KNOW, I WAS TOO NAIVE, I BOUGHT A BUILDERS KIT 2200 HO, FROM POWERHOUSE PERFORMANCE IN OKLAHOMA, THE GUY SAID HE WAS A CUSTOM TUNE DEALER HE SENT ME A CUSTOM PROGRAM, , I DIDN'T EVEN GO AROUND THE BLOCK 2 TIMES. IF YOU READ MORE FORUMS ABOUT THESE 4.6'S, YOU WILL REALIZE THAT THE WHOLE BOTTOM END IS NOT MEANT FOR CLOSE TO 500 HORSE. I HAVE THE ENGINE APART NOW, ACTUALLY JUST THE TOP PISTONS BROKE ALL AROUND THE RING AREA. THE NEW PISTONS ARE AT LEAST DOUBLE AS THICK IN THIS AREA. I JUST WENT ALL OUT AND BOUGHT WHAT I THINK SHOULD MAKE THIS MOTOR LAST. DIABLO SENT ME THE STANDARD PROGRAM, I WILL RUN IT UNTIL I FIND A GOOD DYNO/TUNE SHOP. SO FAR, DIAMOND FORGED PISTONS, MANLEY FORGED RODS, CRANE CAMS AND SPRINGS , BALANCED STOCK CRANKSHAFT, PORTED AND CC'D HEADS, FORD GASKET SETS, AND NEW CAM CHAIN TENSIONERS AND FORD RACING STAINLESS HEADERS. RIGHT ABOUT 6 G'S.

MY SUGGESTION HERE...DON'T JUST LISTEN TO THE NUMBERS, DO WHAT IS RIGHT, ADDING A SUPERCHARGER IS COOL, BUT REALLY, BUILD YOUR MOTOR THE RIGHT WAY, PUT IN THE BETTER COMPONENTS. DYNO NUMBERS ARE ONE THING, YOU STILL NEED A STRONG BOTTOM END.

YOU ARE RIGHT, IT HAPPENED BEFORE THANKSGIVING, I WAS FREAKING OUT, I COULDN'T BELIEVE THIS <bleep> JUST HAPPENED, GUESS I FINALLY GOT OVER IT AND AM LETTING YOU ALL KNOW, I WAS TOO NAIVE, I BOUGHT A BUILDERS KIT 2200 HO, FROM POWERHOUSE PERFORMANCE IN OKLAHOMA, THE GUY SAID HE WAS A CUSTOM TUNE DEALER HE SENT ME A CUSTOM PROGRAM, , I DIDN'T EVEN GO AROUND THE BLOCK 2 TIMES. IF YOU READ MORE FORUMS ABOUT THESE 4.6'S, YOU WILL REALIZE THAT THE WHOLE BOTTOM END IS NOT MEANT FOR CLOSE TO 500 HORSE. I HAVE THE ENGINE APART NOW, ACTUALLY JUST THE TOP PISTONS BROKE ALL AROUND THE RING AREA. THE NEW PISTONS ARE AT LEAST DOUBLE AS THICK IN THIS AREA. I JUST WENT ALL OUT AND BOUGHT WHAT I THINK SHOULD MAKE THIS MOTOR LAST. DIABLO SENT ME THE STANDARD PROGRAM, I WILL RUN IT UNTIL I FIND A GOOD DYNO/TUNE SHOP. SO FAR, DIAMOND FORGED PISTONS, MANLEY FORGED RODS, CRANE CAMS AND SPRINGS , BALANCED STOCK CRANKSHAFT, PORTED AND CC'D HEADS, FORD GASKET SETS, AND NEW CAM CHAIN TENSIONERS AND FORD RACING STAINLESS HEADERS. RIGHT ABOUT 6 G'S.

MY SUGGESTION HERE...DON'T JUST LISTEN TO THE NUMBERS, DO WHAT IS RIGHT, ADDING A SUPERCHARGER IS COOL, BUT REALLY, BUILD YOUR MOTOR THE RIGHT WAY, PUT IN THE BETTER COMPONENTS. DYNO NUMBERS ARE ONE THING, YOU STILL NEED A STRONG BOTTOM END.

Thank Choppers Good advice,I'm not going to go over 420RWHP with mine until I beef up the bottom end. I'm going to the Shelby birthday Bash and run the road course and the drag strip I just hope my car doesn't come home on a flat bed and me on an airplane.lol Carl

No offense but I think the tune is all important and I'm much more comfortable with a tune done by Ford then the local tuner. A serious advantage the Whipple has IMHO. I think if a lot of folks were grenading engines it would be ALL over these forums.

No offense but I think the tune is all important and I'm much more comfortable with a tune done by Ford then the local tuner. A serious advantage the Whipple has IMHO. I think if a lot of folks were grenading engines it would be ALL over these forums.

Wado you are probably right but there's not any ford dealers in my area that I would trust to tune mine. I'll drive mine until it breaks then I'll do what ever it takes to make all the HP I think I need or want. BTW I love your car

Ok - I have to ask - is the H.O. Whipple the one the basiaclly comes with no waranty?

There are 2 - one intercooled and one that is not. . . . . ?

I am torn now between the Paxton or the H.O. Whipple based on discussion in this thread and also others I've read.

Here's the real question I have - after adding the supercharger, by swtiching the Rear gears from the stock 3.55 to something like 3.73s what will that do to the RWHP output ?? Does this increase RWHP or does it simply make 1st gear less useful for hole shots and more useful for Smoke Screens??

I've been toying around with the idea of the Shelby/Paxton Novi 1200 and putting the 3.73s behind it. I think that would be a pretty awesome ride by the seat of the pants. Not to mention be a bit more gentle on the lower end of my 4.6L 3V.

But how would that compare to the H.O. Whipple with the stock 3.55s???

Those of you who have one or the other - do you have any input on this?? '

Obviously - I don't want to 'grenade' my engine - but I do want to enjoy the benes/fun of a S/C on my SGT.

3 more days until I need to have the fire department on call for potential fire hazard on birthday cake!! :blink:

Trevor

Ok - I have to ask - is the H.O. Whipple the one the basiaclly comes with no waranty?

I am torn now between the Paxton or the H.O. Whipple based on discussion in this thread and also others I've read.

Here's the real question I have - after adding the supercharger, by swtiching the Rear gears from the stock 3.55 to something like 3.73s what will that do to the RWHP output ?? Does this increase RWHP or does it simply make 1st gear less useful for hole shots and more useful for Smoke Screens??

I've been toying around with the idea of the Shelby/Paxton Novi 1200 and putting the 3.73s behind it. I think that would be a pretty awesome ride by the seat of the pants. Not to mention be a bit more gentle on the lower end of my 4.6L 3V.

Obviously - I don't want to 'grenade' my engine - but I do want to enjoy the benes/fun of a S/C on my SGT.

3 more days until I need to have the fire department on call for potential fire hazard on birthday cake!! :blink:

Trevor

Trevor, Your rear end gear ratio will not affect your rwhp. The car will just launch faster. You won't be able to stay in first gear as long, it will red line quicker. First gear is pretty much useless with a SC'd car. The lower gear ratio will affect your RPM's @60 mph will go up by 200-300 RPM's. The 20" wheels also come into play which will change your gear ratio to a higher ratio.There's a formula they use that your installer could probably tell you exactly what your ratio is. Personally, our car is SC'd with 355's and it will melt the tires in first gear. I prefer to get the car rolling and then put the hammer down. Rubber isn't cheap. Hope this helps.

Dave

Trevor

The 1200 puts out about 50-70HP less then the 2200. The 1200 is also a much easier install due to the lack of intercooler piping and you dont have to remove the front bumper. I am sure the 1200 is still a nice kick in the pants, but the 2200 will give you expandability if you decide you want to go faster later.

Here's a link to SPP describing all the kits they offer, and the options.

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/List...erformance.aspx

Rear gear ratio does not produce any more power, but it does get more torque to the ground, so, you may expect improved ETs and off-the-line performance. You are correct that it will affect shift points, and have it's worst impact on first gear, but it's worth it. Remember, what you gain at the launch, you give back in top end. "Smoke screen"...LOL! Yes, you will make a lot of smoke. If you want a good road tire, you'll get your money's worth from a Pirelli. But, if you know you are going to just burn them up in burnouts, buy less expensive meat?

Yes, either kit will be an awesome drive, but sorry my friend, no easy answer here. Two different technologies at play, the Whipple is from the Roots/twin Screw/Lysholm positive displacement school, the Paxton is a tried and true centrifugal very similar to Vortech and ProCharger. In fact, Vortech owns Paxton now. The Whipple has more grunt in lower RPMs, while the Paxton comes on very strong in the native power band of the 4.6L-3V, and never stops pumping out the boost. It's your call, neither will disappoint you. Be guided by what you plan to do with the car. If racing is in your future, you selection makes a difference. If not, toss a coin.

Keep the boost conservative, and you should be fine. Push the edge and your engine will live a shorter life.

The 1200 puts out about 50-70HP less then the 2200. The 1200 is also a much easier install due to the lack of intercooler piping and you dont have to remove the front bumper. I am sure the 1200 is still a nice kick in the pants, but the 2200 will give you expandability if you decide you want to go faster later.

I agree, Hyper, much the same as the Vortech S and T trims, and the Procharger P1SC and D1SC. it's simply a matter of internal gearing of the impeller. Only as a metaphore, it's like the difference between 3:55 and 4:10 gears.

IMHO....Even if the kit doesn't come with it, I strongly recommend upgrading to intercooling. A three core air-to-air, or, a water-to-air kit. Keeping the air charge as cold as possible is a key factor in performance. With my last Vortech, I had water-to-air, and I was able to stay within 8-9 degrees of ambient air temp while stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. Detonation zero.

Happy motoring, gents.

Trevor

The Whipple gives you 475 hp to the rear wheels making power right off the bottom and all the way up. The HO is the intercooled version and not waranteed. I wouldn't add gears to an SC as it is you have to be on the ball to hit second with out getting in to the rev limiter. With the Whipple intercooler there is no need to remove the front fascia. I think if you look and compare kits out there that you will find that the engineering on the Whipple kit is superior with cleaner more logical solutions. Helps to have the one of the big three funding you :)

The Whipple gives you 475 hp to the rear wheels making power right off the bottom and all the way up. The HO is the intercooled version and not waranteed. I wouldn't add gears to an SC as it is you have to be on the ball to hit second with out getting in to the rev limiter. With the Whipple intercooler there is no need to remove the front fascia. I think if you look and compare kits out there that you will find that the engineering on the Whipple kit is superior with cleaner more logical solutions. Helps to have the one of the big three funding you :)

I've always been curious, does the removal of the front tower brace affect the handling?

Just curious...Do you have any dyno sheets/reports that support this? I'd love to see the power curve in print. Can you help us out with this?

I've always been curious, does the removal of the front tower brace affect the handling?

I talked to SAI before I installed mine and they said no. The consensus seems to be that the SN197 is a very rigid platform Steeda says sub frame connectors are not needed either.

I talked to SAI before I installed mine and they said no. The consensus seems to be that the SN197 is a very rigid platform Steeda says sub frame connectors are not needed either.

Hmmm...Like I always suspected, lots of mods offered in the aftermarket, and some of it we don't really need. Thanks for the tip!

LuLu, which SC do you recommend for a driver, the whipple or the paxton? I believe the paxton is 462 HP and is that getting too close to the 475-500 you mentioned?

Nope. The 462 is brake HP, at the flywheel using a 5-6 PSI pulley. You should see 420 of so at the rear wheels.

I can only tell you what I plan to install on my SGT. Paxton centrifugal, with 8-9 PSI of boost and a water-to-air intercoller. No intercooler? Walk it back to 6 PSI, that air charge gets awful warm after compression.

Archived