TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Pacton 2200 HO

hypersurf1

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice numbers. Do you have the stock bottom end? Any clutch slip? You won't have a bottom end very long if you take that to the redline too often. :(

It is stock bottom but i am ordering a Livernois 298 stroker. I will stay under 5500rpm for now. The clutch held well in the 4th gear pulls. I will also be putting in a spec 3+ clutch when we do the bottom end.

I just got back from the dyno. She pulled 499rwhp and 440rwtq with the HO kit. I figure that for 590HP at the crank. These cars are amazing.

WOW....those are pretty heavy numbers. How much boost are you running? Are those numbers on a 93 octane tune? With 410's in it, you must stay in first gear about a millisecond :blink: . Second and third gear must feel crazy!!!! If you back that HP down to 450-460 rwhp, you might not have to buy that new block. But I'll bet your one of those HP junkies. :lol:

Dave

WOW....those are pretty heavy numbers. How much boost are you running? Are those numbers on a 93 octane tune? With 410's in it, you must stay in first gear about a millisecond :blink: . Second and third gear must feel crazy!!!! If you back that HP down to 450-460 rwhp, you might not have to buy that new block. But I'll bet your one of those HP junkies. :lol:

Dave

Its at 12psi at 6200 rpm. I cant go less HP cause im on the stock pulley. First gear is useless without slicks. Second is all wheel spin, and third is like a ballistic missle.

Quick questions, short and easy to answer...

1) Which pulley did you use on your Paxton?, what diameter?

2) What style/type of dyno did you test on? Mustang?, DynoJet?, DynaPack?

3) Why a 4th gear pull?

4) What's the blower (head unit) model number?

Thanks in advance!

Quick questions, short and easy to answer...

1) Which pulley did you use on your Paxton?, what diameter?

2) What style/type of dyno did you test on? Mustang?, DynoJet?, DynaPack?

3) Why a 4th gear pull?

4) What's the blower (head unit) model number?

Thanks in advance!

1. stock pulley, i think 3.60

2. dyno dynamics

3. all correct pulls should be in 4th due to the 1 to 1 gearing in the tranny

4. paxton novi 2200

I was told today by a tuner that we are limited on the amount of boost we can put to these motors due to the very odd sparkplug design. There currently arent' any plugs out that can handle the boost. I was interested in installing the 4.6 Aluminator crate motor from Ford. Any idea where the cieling is?

I was told today by a tuner that we are limited on the amount of boost we can put to these motors due to the very odd sparkplug design. There currently arent' any plugs out that can handle the boost. I was interested in installing the 4.6 Aluminator crate motor from Ford. Any idea where the cieling is?

I dont know what he was talking about with spark. You must gap down the plugs as our engines do get spark blowout with FI. Once this is done there are guys pushing over 700HP with stock heads, cams, and coils. I would assume the Aluminator with forged crank and rods will support well over 600hp.

I dont know what he was talking about with spark. You must gap down the plugs as our engines do get spark blowout with FI. Once this is done there are guys pushing over 700HP with stock heads, cams, and coils. I would assume the Aluminator with forged crank and rods will support well over 600hp.

The one I'm looking at is specifically for a blown application and says 700hp is supported. I know on my Whipple they brought the engine temp down, changed the thermostat and went to a colder plug and tighter gap. The tuner I'm talking to said there was an issue with platinum plugs blowing out at high boost levels we didn't talk about how high though, he just said I may be disappointed in the Aluminator because atm its lmited by plugs.

The one I'm looking at is specifically for a blown application and says 700hp is supported. I know on my Whipple they brought the engine temp down, changed the thermostat and went to a colder plug and tighter gap. The tuner I'm talking to said there was an issue with platinum plugs blowing out at high boost levels we didn't talk about how high though, he just said I may be disappointed in the Aluminator because atm its lmited by plugs.

You should not be running platinum plugs in our car with a blower.

If I understood him correctly he was saying thats all that was available atm.

i am running the autolite HT0 which are non platinums. everyone i know with a blower is running them they work great. i was getting spark blowout with the stock plugs and gap. with the one step colder plug and smaller gap it works great at 12psi.

Mine were ford racing identical to what I pulled out but colder. I don't actually know what their made of. I'm only making 10 pounds of boost though.

i believe the ford racing plugs are just rebranded autolites. so you have the same plugs i do which are autolite HT0. you should be fine with those plugs at any boost level, but you might have to close the gap some for higher boost levels. i am at .32 right now pushing 12psi.

i believe the ford racing plugs are just rebranded autolites. so you have the same plugs i do which are autolite HT0. you should be fine with those plugs at any boost level, but you might have to close the gap some for higher boost levels. i am at .32 right now pushing 12psi.

Have you thought about using an after-market COP?

Those are awesome numbers.KUDOS for taking her to the limit and then some.You must send pics when the rods do break.LOL On the plus side Pistons make nice garage ashtrays.

You are right about the limit. I had no idea that i would be getting 12psi or I would have gone with the non intercooled kit. Once we saw the boost we were getting we knew we would be close to 500rwhp. I will baby her and short shift her for now until I can get the built short block in. :)

Well, all I can say here is thanks for stopping by and sharing your amazing good fortune.

Here's a link to Paxton's FAQ if any of y'all need to learn more.

http://www.paxtonauto.com/faq.html

BTW...12 PSI from a 3.60 pulley seems unusual to me, goes against the grain of physics and my personal experience with centrifugal blowers. Every blower will be different, but a 3.60 pulley is good for 7-8 PSI, a 3.48 will deliver 9-10 PSI, a 3.12 will get you 10-12, and a 2.90 13-15 PSI. These are approximates, actual results vary, it's all in the setup and tune. Water-to-air intercooling is always good, but it won't account for that much power gain. Furthermore, Dyno Dynamics is an eddy-current style dyno, known for inaccuracy and manipulation. I'd like to see this car on a DynoJet, or, a DynaPack style dyno, where you can's fudge around. Again, it's all in the setup.

Congrats again, Hype, hope to read about your performance results soon. This is definately a magazine car...Centerfold!

Jeeze, won't the GT 500 folks be pizzed to read about this. Smaller engine, less cam, and about 15K cheaper? Why buy a GT 500 when you can slap a Paxton Novi HO on a SGT and get the same performance results?

Oh well, Happy New Year all.

If I understood him correctly he was saying thats all that was available atm.

Ask your tuner (who seems up on his game) about Denso plugs? IT20 for N/A cars with a custom tune, IT22 for blower cars. Correct gap from the factory, no need to refine it. I've used them for years, and though they are not cheap, they are worth it. Never failed, no fouls, even under the worst of conditions.

http://www.densoiridium.com/spconstruction.php

Oh, and while you speaking with him, ask his opinion of this thread?

Well, all I can say here is thanks for stopping by and sharing your amazing good fortune.

Here's a link to Paxton's FAQ if any of y'all need to learn more.

http://www.paxtonauto.com/faq.html

BTW...12 PSI from a 3.60 pulley seems unusual to me, goes against the grain of physics and my personal experience with centrifugal blowers. Every blower will be different, but a 3.60 pulley is good for 7-8 PSI, a 3.48 will deliver 9-10 PSI, a 3.12 will get you 10-12, and a 2.90 13-15 PSI. These are approximates, actual results vary, it's all in the setup and tune. Water-to-air intercooling is always good, but it won't account for that much power gain. Furthermore, Dyno Dynamics is an eddy-current style dyno, known for inaccuracy and manipulation. I'd like to see this car on a DynoJet, or, a DynaPack style dyno, where you can's fudge around. Again, it's all in the setup.

Congrats again, Hype, hope to read about your performance results soon. This is definately a magazine car...Centerfold!

Jeeze, won't the GT 500 folks be pizzed to read about this. Smaller engine, less cam, and about 15K cheaper? Why buy a GT 500 when you can slap a Paxton Novi HO on a SGT and get the same performance results?

Oh well, Happy New Year all.

Lulu,

on the more technical forums the guys running non intercooled paxton/vortech are getting numbers around 420+rwhp. the guys with the HO novi 2200 air/air intercooled kits are getting 460-480rwhp. i would figure that the shelby x pipe and mufflers might be worth a few HP and the dyno differences might be a few more. the paxton kit is rated for 470hp so were close either way. we also pulled to 6200rpm which would increase our boost pressure as the centri is linear and will keep boosting till you stop reving. a novi rated at 10psi at 6000 rpm can very well pull 16 psi at 7000rpm. there are many regular GT's running around that can lay waste to a stock gt500 with just a blower. with a stronger bottom end, more fuel, and more boost our little 3 valves can pull over 700HP with stock heads and cams. i believe the gt500 is only putting around 430rwhp and weighs more then we do, several hundred pounds.

I owe you an apology, please stand-by?

I agree that we (as a collective group of SGT owners) are not that technical, nor performance wise. We love our SGTs however they run fast, or, slow. But, as long as we keep talking to each other, and exploring, our opportunities to learn more is at our fingertips. This is one of those times.

Lulu,

on the more technical forums the guys running non intercooled paxton/vortech are getting numbers around 420+rwhp. the guys with the HO novi 2200 air/air intercooled kits are getting 460-480rwhp. i would figure that the shelby x pipe and mufflers might be worth a few HP and the dyno differences might be a few more. the paxton kit is rated for 470hp so were close either way. we also pulled to 6200rpm which would increase our boost pressure as the centri is linear and will keep boosting till you stop reving. a novi rated at 10psi at 6000 rpm can very well pull 16 psi at 7000rpm. there are many regular GT's running around that can lay waste to a stock gt500 with just a blower. with a stronger bottom end, more fuel, and more boost our little 3 valves can pull over 700HP with stock heads and cams. i believe the gt500 is only putting around 430rwhp and weighs more then we do, several hundred pounds.

I just got off the telephone with my tuner, Corey Simpson/Simpson Performance. I read to him every post in this thread and he replied "yep".

He says it's quite possible to make 500 RWHP/475 RWTQ from a Paxton/Novi kit. He said he's done a dozen upgrades now, on stock Mustang GTs, and they are holding together just fine. The numbers are real, and possible. Well, this takes all the wind out of my sails and I believe I need to apologize to "hypersurf1". I called him out on this, and it turns out I have been out of line.

This is my b*tch with upgrade technology, one day you put your eggs in one basket, and the next day, there is another basket. I'm still "on the fence" with HDTV and my cable company, I can buy the toys, but they can't get the signal to my home. And, they can't send this signal until I buy the toys. Catch-22, eh?

Anyway, everything posted here now seems legit, and accurate. According to Corey, the Whipple kit is the choice of drag racers in the 1/8 mile, but a Paxton/Novi/Vortech kit makes it in the 1/4 mile. Road course? Name your poison...

Hypersurf1...My apologies, sir. Carry on.

Corey didn't favor the eddy-current dyno you used, but he did back the 4th gear pull. Still, very impressive numbers, but they may be a tad off on a different style of dyno.

Happy New Year all...

LuLu go Directv and I highly recommend HDTV :) We didn't have many channels at first and i didn't think it was all that hot. Now we have 70+ channels 150 by the end of this month and when we have to watch something thats not HDTV it like going back to black and white lol

I owe you an apology, please stand-by?

I agree that we (as a collective group of SGT owners) are not that technical, nor performance wise. We love our SGTs however they run fast, or, slow. But, as long as we keep talking to each other, and exploring, our opportunities to learn more is at our fingertips. This is one of those times.

I just got off the telephone with my tuner, Corey Simpson/Simpson Performance. I read to him every post in this thread and he replied "yep".

He says it's quite possible to make 500 RWHP/475 RWTQ from a Paxton/Novi kit. He said he's done a dozen upgrades now, on stock Mustang GTs, and they are holding together just fine. The numbers are real, and possible. Well, this takes all the wind out of my sails and I believe I need to apologize to "hypersurf1". I called him out on this, and it turns out I have been out of line.

This is my b*tch with upgrade technology, one day you put your eggs in one basket, and the next day, there is another basket. I'm still "on the fence" with HDTV and my cable company, I can buy the toys, but they can't get the signal to my home. And, they can't send this signal until I buy the toys. Catch-22, eh?

Anyway, everything posted here now seems legit, and accurate. According to Corey, the Whipple kit is the choice of drag racers in the 1/8 mile, but a Paxton/Novi/Vortech kit makes it in the 1/4 mile. Road course? Name your poison...

Hypersurf1...My apologies, sir. Carry on.

Corey didn't favor the eddy-current dyno you used, but he did back the 4th gear pull. Still, very impressive numbers, but they may be a tad off on a different style of dyno.

Happy New Year all...

Thanks for the update Lulu. We all make mistakes, the true man admits when hes wrong. If you asked me if a 4.6 3v would make 500rwhp a few months ago i would have doubted it too. BTW, i have HDTV from my cable provider and love it, although i wish we had more channels. :)

This is a great thread, awesome job on your car hypersurf. So if i am reading this right the stock bottom end can live a longish life with 500rwhp?

Well...Corey was also slightly reserved about 12 PSI of boost, reminding me that our upper intakes are molded plastic. One weak spot in the mold and you're calling a flat-bed. And, the bottom end is what it is.

Still, he said he has had no "come-backs"...Yet.

Archived