TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Pacton 2200 HO

hypersurf1

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you guys are sick

you make me want supercharger now..but i want to wait till after the car's factory warranties fall off. :mellow:

+1,

I've been drooling ever since I drove my first Stang with a SC. I'm going to wait until I get closer to the warranty expiration date. (By then I should have been able to squirrel away a few bucks.) Hope the wife doesn't read this post.

+1,

I've been drooling ever since I drove my first Stang with a SC. I'm going to wait until I get closer to the warranty expiration date. (By then I should have been able to squirrel away a few bucks.) Hope the wife doesn't read this post.

I hear ya...And I'm not new to supercharging. The lure is power, and we all love it. "I love the smell of supercharging...It smells of victory" Hehehe...

But, you have to stay practical too. Too much boost, too much power applied to our 4/6L-3V, and things break. Step carefully, but take the step.

Jeeze, this has really got to pizz off others, Almost 500 RWHP/470 RWTQ from a 4.6L SGT, and saving a chunk of change too. Go Paxton!

I am not as well versed in the design of the 4.6. So these guys are getting 500 RWHP and not blowing up? Very cool. In the engines I am used to everybody is after 4 bolt mains, but you can still get a 2 bolt block to rip for the street, I wonder how durable the 4.6 really is...maybe just fine for the 500hp level.

I have some really vivid dreams now, I was after the SAI install for the registry, they do not reccommend the larger 2200 or do they? You guys got it going on...

Oh yeah LULU-We got a fujitsu plasma and the direct hd, its pretty cool. But its still tv.... haha!

Those are some crazy numbers! I like this post because I would never have the ba!!s to push this 3V engine that high.

Lulu, if you haven't gone HD yet trust me, it's awesome. I'm not a football fan really but I love watching the Cowboys in HD on my Plasma - I can't describe in words, you have to see it. My sister is a football nut and she says that I "have the best football watchig TV setup (Bose surround sound and all). I get all my HD channels over the air. Haven't invested in the HD satellite yet but I see it coming. HD is incredibly superior. One thing though, if you buy an HD TV but do not have HD signal, the TV will emphasize the crappiness of the incoming analog signal.

I am not as well versed in the design of the 4.6. So these guys are getting 500 RWHP and not blowing up? Very cool. In the engines I am used to everybody is after 4 bolt mains, but you can still get a 2 bolt block to rip for the street, I wonder how durable the 4.6 really is...maybe just fine for the 500hp level.

I have some really vivid dreams now, I was after the SAI install for the registry, they do not reccommend the larger 2200 or do they? You guys got it going on...

Oh yeah LULU-We got a fujitsu plasma and the direct hd, its pretty cool. But its still tv.... haha!

SAI does not install the 2200 for what i believe to be a sway bar issue. one of the intercooler pipes runs down between the power steering pump and sway bar. this does not work with the massive swaybar we have. we had to run it under the oil filter and add a 90' bend pipe to make it work. this is fine but i have to remove the pipe to change my oil. i am sure this would not be fine for a production car. i am certain this is why they went air/water intercooled as that pipe is not needed. the reason i think they went 1200 had unit is to save a few bucks as it is good for 600HP. the 2200 will support 1000HP.

I may not be "up to speed" on new blower technology (or HDTV), but I do know the 4.6L engine inside and out. No...SAI isn't offerig the 2200 Novi, or, backing 12 PSI boost. They are much more conservative. 5-6 PSI I believe, which can add a lot of fun, but all SAI is doing is installing the proven Ford Racing/Paxton kit, and adding a CS signature on it, all with warranty limitations.

Half a dozen dyno pulls showing high HP and TQ numbers is one thing, but the long term durability is in serious question. I remember my automotive roots (and fondly too) and my desire to move up to a 4 bolt main block from the two bolt. But, that was cast iron Chevy small blocks in the late '60s, and this is a different game today, thanks to aluminum blocks and modular technology.

The 4.6L modular block has 4 six bolt mains which is why the stock block is good for up to 600 BHP. Four bolt main caps, with two cross bolts each, it's a nice piece of work, design-wise. With some machining, it's very durable. Marry this technology to a polished and balanced cast crank, and you're good to go 600+. Add a forged steel crank, rods and pistons, and you're good to 900 HP. Back to the stock block...The powdered metal I beam rods and hypereutectic formed pistons are another story. Weak spots which dictate that 450 HP is the limit, unless you're ready amd eager to buy a new engine. There's a lot more to this than bolting on a 12 PSI blower.

Let's say just by chance, or, just for fun (or the sake of this discussion) everything does stay together, K? Okay. Then there is one more consideration...Head gaskets. Under boost, engine temps change very fast, and the block will heat up long before the heads. Well, gents, what happens when one thing swells, and another does not? Questions?

I used it as a metaphore here, something about how technology sometimes rolls over you, like it or not. I'm happy (for now) with my basic cable service. Thanks...

SAI does not install the 2200 for what i believe to be a sway bar issue. one of the intercooler pipes runs down between the power steering pump and sway bar. this does not work with the massive swaybar we have. we had to run it under the oil filter and add a 90' bend pipe to make it work. this is fine but i have to remove the pipe to change my oil. i am sure this would not be fine for a production car. i am certain this is why they went air/water intercooled as that pipe is not needed. the reason i think they went 1200 had unit is to save a few bucks as it is good for 600HP. the 2200 will support 1000HP.

No...SAI doesn't install the 2200 because of it's capability. Internal gearing and self lubrication is what allows you to reach for such high power numbers on a 3.60 pulley. Imagine the damage to SAI's reputation once SGT engines are found on the roadside?

SAI is a business, and like any business anywhere, they cannot afford failures in the marketplace. Roush, Saleen, and maybe Ford as well, would have a field day with this, once SGTs start loosing engines from Shelby supercharging. If I were Carroll Shelby, I would do the same thing. Limit boost to under 8 PSI, and make you sign a waiver for anything more, and you are on your own.

I respect your 411, Hyper, but IMHO, it has little to do the "why" of it all. SAI promises "safe" supercharging, and if you want more, it's without any warranty. Even you must know, you are living on borrowed time. You may have achieved 499 RWHP, but I'd love to hear from you 1 year from today. You know it, and so do I.

I may not be "up to speed" on new blower technology (or HDTV), but I do know the 4.6L engine inside and out. No...SAI isn't offerig the 2200 Novi, or, backing 12 PSI boost. They are much more conservative. 5-6 PSI I believe, which can add a lot of fun, but all SAI is doing is installing the proven Ford Racing/Paxton kit, and adding a CS signature on it, all with warranty limitations.

Half a dozen dyno pulls showing high HP and TQ numbers is one thing, but the long term durability is in serious question. I remember my automotive roots (and fondly too) and my desire to move up to a 4 bolt main block from the two bolt. But, that was cast iron Chevy small blocks in the late '60s, and this is a different game today, thanks to aluminum blocks and modular technology.

The 4.6L modular block has 4 six bolt mains which is why the stock block is good for up to 600 BHP. Four bolt main caps, with two cross bolts each, it's a nice piece of work, design-wise. With some machining, it's very durable. Marry this technology to a polished and balanced cast crank, and you're good to go 600+. Add a forged steel crank, rods and pistons, and you're good to 900 HP. Back to the stock block...The powdered metal I beam rods and hypereutectic formed pistons are another story. Weak spots which dictate that 450 HP is the limit, unless you're ready amd eager to buy a new engine. There's a lot more to this than bolting on a 12 PSI blower.

Let's say just by chance, or, just for fun (or the sake of this discussion) everything does stay together, K? Okay. Then there is one more consideration...Head gaskets. Under boost, engine temps change very fast, and the block will heat up long before the heads. Well, gents, what happens when one thing swells, and another does not? Questions?

I used it as a metaphore here, something about how technology sometimes rolls over you, like it or not. I'm happy (for now) with my basic cable service. Thanks...

No...SAI doesn't install the 2200 because of it's capability. Internal gearing and self lubrication is what allows you to reach for such high power numbers on a 3.60 pulley. Imagine the damage to SAI's reputation once SGT engines are found on the roadside?

SAI is a business, and like any business anywhere, they cannot afford failures in the marketplace. Roush, Saleen, and maybe Ford as well, would have a field day with this, once SGTs start loosing engines from Shelby supercharging. If I were Carroll Shelby, I would do the same thing. Limit boost to under 8 PSI, and make you sign a waiver for anything more, and you are on your own.

I respect your 411, Hyper, but IMHO, it has little to do the "why" of it all. SAI promises "safe" supercharging, and if you want more, it's without any warranty. Even you must know, you are living on borrowed time. You may have achieved 499 RWHP, but I'd love to hear from you 1 year from today. You know it, and so do I.

Don't be such a wet blanket LuLu I say wick it up, I want to know what 18 pounds looks like. :o :blink: :D

LuLu,

I can tell you i am currently ordering a forged short block from eddies valve grinding (great speed shop) in NJ here. I know that at 500HP the stock block is limited in time plus i want to run more boost and cant do it comfortably on this block. The 2200 @12psi is not anywhere near its capabilities and i didnt put a blower on to let it barely work. I am looking for 700+HP and sub 11 second time slips. I will let you know how things work out at serious boost levels soon.

Lulu- I was talking about BB chev's. Anyway, think I will stick to the SAI setup. Did drive a SL 55 AMG today and its 500 hp 500 s/c'd torque from a 5.0 cool. BTW how many blown 327 sbc motors have you seen with 4 bolt mains?

So the rule is still anything over 480hp scary for the stock longblock?

About the tv whatever it still shows nothing but the same ol stuff this forum is much more fun :D

Lulu- I was talking about BB chev's. Anyway, think I will stick to the SAI setup. Did drive a SL 55 AMG today and its 500 hp 500 s/c'd torque from a 5.0 cool. BTW how many blown 327 sbc motors have you seen with 4 bolt mains?

So the rule is still anything over 480hp scary for the stock longblock?

About the tv whatever it still shows nothing but the same ol stuff this forum is much more fun :D

Wasn't meaning to sound critical, just that your post brought back some memories.

Yeah, IMHO, 480 is slightly above the limit on a stock 4.6L long block, if you are concerned about long term durability. Keep it at or under 8 PSI on a decent (refined) tune, and you'll have a lot of fun.

Hyper, I know where you're heading, been there myself with a much heavier car. Safe journey my friend.

I have a Paxton Novi 2200 Ho and I'm taking her To the Dyno on fri. I'll post the results. Have a Happy Shelby New Year. Carl

I spent all of yesterday at Speed Freeks Industries in Tracy Calif. The dyno they use is a Mustang Dyno so here is the result. RWHP 420 @ 5800 RPM Torque 397.1 @ 5300 RPM. Custom SFI Tune at the Mortor : 498HP,478TQ at 17% Drivetrain. I do not have a scanner so I can't post the Dyno Chart. Paxton 2200 DeleteReplyForwardSpamMove...

I spent all of yesterday at Speed Freeks Industries in Tracy Calif. The dyno they use is a Mustang Dyno so here is the result. RWHP 420 @ 5800 RPM Torque 397.1 @ 5300 RPM. Custom SFI Tune at the Mortor : 498HP,478TQ at 17% Drivetrain. I do not have a scanner so I can't post the Dyno Chart. Paxton 2200 DeleteReplyForwardSpamMove...

Why did they only pull to 5800rpm? The more rpm the more psi/HP on the Centri's. I would pull it to 6200rpm and bet you pull another 50+ HP. Is this an automatic?

Why did they only pull to 5800rpm? The more rpm the more psi/HP on the Centri's. I would pull it to 6200rpm and bet you pull another 50+ HP. Is this an automatic?

I don't know why. I'm going back Mon. for one more round on the Dyno and I'll ask why only 5800rpm. It's a manual 5 speed.

I don't know why. I'm going back Mon. for one more round on the Dyno and I'll ask why only 5800rpm. It's a manual 5 speed.

Have any plans for a forged bottom end?

Yes,I'll know Mon. how hard they will hit my $$$$$$$$$$$ Bank acc. Lulu I trust your opinion. Do you think thats to much HP for a 4.6 stock. From what I've read on the net the Mustang Dyno seams to be around 20 HP lower than some of the other Dyno's. I'm 66 years old and I've been out of the loop for quit a few years and I'm not going to be out at night street racing. I just like fast cars and I'm at a point in my life were I can aford it. Thank Carl

Yes,I'll know Mon. how hard they will hit my $$$$$$$$$$$ Bank acc. Lulu I trust your opinion. Do you think thats to much HP for a 4.6 stock. From what I've read on the net the Mustang Dyno seams to be around 20 HP lower than some of the other Dyno's. I'm 66 years old and I've been out of the loop for quit a few years and I'm not going to be out at night street racing. I just like fast cars and I'm at a point in my life were I can aford it. Thank Carl

I would have them pull it to 6200rpm. Why are they running a custom tune, do you have other parts besides the blower on it? The Diablo tune that comes with the HO kits is pretty good. I pulled my numbers with that tune. Careful with the street racing, if you have a track near you its much safer. Hard to get a ambulance on the street if theres an accident, plus the safety features of a track arent there. Be safe.

Lulu I trust your opinion. Do you think thats to much HP for a 4.6 stock. From what I've read on the net the Mustang Dyno seams to be around 20 HP lower than some of the other Dyno's. I'm 66 years old and I've been out of the loop for quit a few years and I'm not going to be out at night street racing. I just like fast cars and I'm at a point in my life were I can aford it. Thank Carl

I have my issues with Mustang dynos, Carl, and the numbers they produce. Some can be grossly innaccurate, it depends on the setup and dial-in by the tech, but I won't get into that now.

However, to answer to your question, IMHO, yes, I do.

If you are in the neighborhood over 475 RWHP, your stock block is in a red zone. Hammer that power just once on bad atmospheric day (high temp, high humidity), or, on a tank of bad (lower octane, high moisture/water content) gas, and you will cause some damage and shorten the longevity of the 4.6L short block. If you don't stretch a rod, or, take a chunk out of a piston top, there's always cylinder pressure to consider, and head gaskets can take only so much boost. Likewise, our plastic upper intake. IMHO, watch your EOTs as well, and keep them as low and cool as you can.

I'm not trying to be a crybaby about this, but there are limitations for our SGT engines and we should respect them. They are not "performance built" engines, just stock "off-the-shelf" FMC 4.6L-3Vs used in hundereds of FMC applications. Besides, I haven't met a man yet that can tell me the difference between 475 RWHP and 500+, both are just awesome and scary drives.

If you're just zooming around town, Carl, back it down to 460 RWHP and let the SGT suspension do it's thing in the corners. You won't feel any difference in your seat-of-the-pants dyno, and you'll have a ball. Plus, if ever you decide to hit the highway and drive out to a meet somewhere in another state, you won't need to worry about highway, or, local fuel quality at your destination. BTW, the SGT is a sweet highway driver. I have been behind the wheel for hours and got out feeling fresher than when I started out.

One other thing...Those of you considering a forged bottom end, remember that forged steel and aluminum weigh a LOT more than the stock components, almost twice as much. So, while your internals are stronger, they are also heavier and consume more power in rotation, as much as 50 RWHP and 50 RWTQ. So, be ready for some "after" dyno disappointments in the power numbers, but don't worry. You can make up for it with a pulley change for more boost. At least, the bottom end will take 14-16 PSI now.

Happy Motoring!

All these numbers are based on an extensive engineering background and extensive RPM boost and HP testing with OEM products as well as after market, using controlled testing with different metalurgies temperatures and humidities. So you can be sure these are hard numbers not something pulled out of a hat.

I have my issues with Mustang dynos, Carl, and the numbers they produce. Some can be grossly innaccurate, it depends on the setup and dial-in by the tech, but I won't get into that now.

However, to answer to your question, IMHO, yes, I do.

If you are in the neighborhood over 475 RWHP, your stock block is in a red zone. Hammer that power just once on bad atmospheric day (high temp, high humidity), or, on a tank of bad (lower octane, high moisture/water content) gas, and you will cause some damage and shorten the longevity of the 4.6L short block. If you don't stretch a rod, or, take a chunk out of a piston top, there's always cylinder pressure to consider, and head gaskets can take only so much boost. Likewise, our plastic upper intake. IMHO, watch your EOTs as well, and keep them as low and cool as you can.

I'm not trying to be a crybaby about this, but there are limitations for our SGT engines and we should respect them. They are not "performance built" engines, just stock "off-the-shelf" FMC 4.6L-3Vs used in hundereds of FMC applications. Besides, I haven't met a man yet that can tell me the difference between 475 RWHP and 500+, both are just awesome and scary drives.

If you're just zooming around town, Carl, back it down to 460 RWHP and let the SGT suspension do it's thing in the corners. You won't feel any difference in your seat-of-the-pants dyno, and you'll have a ball. Plus, if ever you decide to hit the highway and drive out to a meet somewhere in another state, you won't need to worry about highway, or, local fuel quality at your destination. BTW, the SGT is a sweet highway driver. I have been behind the wheel for hours and got out feeling fresher than when I started out.

One other thing...Those of you considering a forged bottom end, remember that forged steel and aluminum weigh a LOT more than the stock components, almost twice as much. So, while your internals are stronger, they are also heavier and consume more power in rotation, as much as 50 RWHP and 50 RWTQ. So, be ready for some "after" dyno disappointments in the power numbers, but don't worry. You can make up for it with a pulley change for more boost. At least, the bottom end will take 14-16 PSI now.

Happy Motoring!

Lulu The RWHP was 420 not 475. I'm going back Mon. so they can put colder plugs in. The young man who did the tune is a software engineer and very sharp. Why I changed the tunes is a long story and I hate to type. I'll put it this way just call me stupid.

Lulu The RWHP was 420 not 475. I'm going back Mon. so they can put colder plugs in. The young man who did the tune is a software engineer and very sharp. Why I changed the tunes is a long story and I hate to type. I'll put it this way just call me stupid.

Why feel stupid? No call for that, Carl.

If you are at 420 RWHP, you're fine. But, I thought I read much higher numbers and I was just trying to answer your question. Did I misunderstand something here?

498HP,478TQ at 17% Drivetrain.

Your words, my friend. Maybe I read them wrong?

All these numbers are based on an extensive engineering background and extensive RPM boost and HP testing with OEM products as well as after market, using controlled testing with different metalurgies temperatures and humidities. So you can be sure these are hard numbers not something pulled out of a hat.

What are you saying here? I'm not understanding your point. Please go on?

If you are at 420 RWHP, you're fine. But, I thought I read much higher numbers and I was just trying to answer your question. Did I misunderstand something here?

I question your number and methodology sorry.

Lulu When I got the read out from the dyno it has two # for HP,RWHP 420,and I guess the other HP#498 is the HP at the Crank. The read out says Custom SFI tune: at Motor 498HP,478TQ at 17% drive Train. Max Power : 420.4 @ 5800RPM Max :Torque 397.1 @ 5300 RPM. My question was, is 420 @ the RW to much for the 4.6. Thanks Carl

Lulu When I got the read out from the dyno it has two # for HP,RWHP 420,and I guess the other HP#498 is the HP at the Crank. The read out says Custom SFI tune: at Motor 498HP,478TQ at 17% drive Train. Max Power : 420.4 @ 5800RPM Max :Torque 397.1 @ 5300 RPM. My question was, is 420 @ the RW to much for the 4.6. Thanks Carl

Empasis added to to your reply.

"17% drive train" what...Loss? From a manual tranny? No. More like 5%, unless you have a bad clutch.

My first Mustang dyno reported 385 RWHP, 320 RWTQ on a bone stock Marauder back in 2002. The factory said the BHP/TQ was 305 BHP and 302 BTQ. But, this Mustang dyno...Forget it.

That said, my answer is no, Carl, 420 to the RW is quite acceptable and vry safe. And, I apologize for adding my confusion to this topic. 420 HP at the rear wheels is not dangerous to the engine, but please watch your engine operating temps?

Engine/brake/crank HP, aka "BHP" and "BTQ" numbers do not apply here. Those numbers are all so much salesman jibberish like what we read from brochures. BHP/BTQ is garbage, it's what the engineers expect from any particular driveline combination, and not what we will see/get on the street. Ignore these numbers, they don't mean squat.

What counts is the RW (rear wheel) "power to the ground" numbers. RWHP and RWTQ is what I trust and work with when dispensing advice to others, and I suggest that others here do the same. "Power to the ground", and "torque moves the car" are truths we cannot get around. Anyone disagree?

Eddy-current dynos like the "Mustang" style take advantage of these differences, and it's just another reason why I don't like them as performance guides. DynoJet and DynaPac dynos are dead nuts on, no fudging RW numbers.

Sorry if I insulted you, didn't mean to. Just laying it out as I see it.

Be safe.

Archived