TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bad news......no good news

RogerS

Looks like the intercooler leak is not gone. I took the car to my friends shop last week and installed the hi-flow cats and cat back and parked the car in the garage. Tonight I had to bring the car to Tasca Ford to have the roof stripes replaced. So I just get into the car and leave.

When I returned I walked into the garage and there was another puddle under the left front fender again! Intercooler fluid. Called Tasca and they will look at it tomorrow. Looks like the intercooler pump is bad afterall. We will see. Figures 2 weeks before D day. :huh:

Looks like the intercooler leak is not gone. I took the car to my friends shop last week and installed the hi-flow cats and cat back and parked the car in the garage. Tonight I had to bring the car to Tasca Ford to have the roof stripes replaced. So I just get into the car and leave.

When I returned I walked into the garage and there was another puddle under the left front fender again! Intercooler fluid. Called Tasca and they will look at it tomorrow. Looks like the intercooler pump is bad afterall. We will see. Figures 2 weeks before D day. :huh:

Roger, Sorry to hear about the bad news, but it's for the better. You wouldn't want that car to break down between LA and Vegas, or overheat on the track. I would much rather see your car break down at home, rather than thousand's of miles from home. Adam and I have been talking and he's been telling me about this bad a$$ exhaust on your car, so if it sounds that good and I have to upgrade our car, I will be blaming you. LOL

Good luck and keep us posted,

Dave

PS. I don't do exotic dancing to pay for my mods :lol: .

I know that the car is in capable hands but what concerns me is that Whipple had some fluid leak issues awhile back. Fluid getting into the the chambers under the intake. There is fluid loss in the holding tank but more than what was on the floor. We will wait and see what happens tomorrow.

I know that the car is in capable hands but what concerns me is that Whipple had some fluid leak issues awhile back. Fluid getting into the the chambers under the intake. There is fluid loss in the holding tank but more than what was on the floor. We will wait and see what happens tomorrow.

Bad news...Bummer, and sorry about it my friend.

You cannot compare visible loss on a shop floor with resevior loss, because the leak is constant, moving forward in traffic, or sitting still at idle.

One of the drawbacks to internal (in the valley) intercooling is that this leak may contaminate the fuel charge, maybe not? Could just spill into the valley and overflow when you move the car. Hard to say by your description. If there is a good side here, it's that the coolant is on the shop floor, and not coming out of your exhaust.

This tells me the leak is in the plumbing external to the engine, and even if the pump has gone south, you can still drive the car, just don't hammer it. Intercooling is a high speed performance topic, not a daily driver concern. Please, no WOT romps until this is resolved?

I suggest you pull your engine oil dipstick and look for water bubbles on the stick. Oil and water don't mix, right? So, if you find water bubbles on the dipstick, it's an internal leak that you need to attend to rightnow. If you don't see water bubbles on the dipstick, it's prolly an external leak, which is not essential to daily driving.

Best wishes, keep us posted.

BTW...yeah, intercooler pumps go bad, true, but mostly because they lose electrical power. This may be as simple as a blown fuse, or, bad electrical connection. Check this out too?

LuLu the intercooler pump on the Whipple is in the run position as soon as the inginition key is turned to the on position. So it does run constantly.

The first time I noticed the issue first thing I did checked was the dipstick. Found no evidence of the fluid in the oil. I did not check this time due to not noticing until I returned. I did leve an e-mail for the service director to check that prior to checking the intrecooler pump.

The leak the first time was without any movement at all for 2 weeks and the puddle appeared. No turning the ket etc.

I hope that gets resolved prior to your trip. Not to hijack-I am considering having some stripes replaced and had considered taking to TASCA. I am a perfectionist and will travel to get the right results. It should be a 2+ hour trip from NJ. Please advise. Interested to hear results of your Whipple issue-that is on my wish list.

I hope that gets resolved prior to your trip. Not to hijack-I am considering having some stripes replaced and had considered taking to TASCA. I am a perfectionist and will travel to get the right results. It should be a 2+ hour trip from NJ. Please advise. Interested to hear results of your Whipple issue-that is on my wish list.

On the stripe issue they hire and outside contactor to do all of their striping. Met him today as they are replacing both roof stripes and one trunk strip. I will advise.

On the intercooler leak. Looks like it may be just that. The clamps I had tightened may not have been tightened enough. Or when the hose was installed they were tightened too much. We really don't know. But the design on the intercooler resivoir hose is a poor design. 2 pieces instead of one piece. I'm not sure why because the kit from Whipple has a one piece hose.

On the stripe issue they hire and outside contactor to do all of their striping. Met him today as they are replacing both roof stripes and one trunk strip. I will advise.

On the intercooler leak. Looks like it may be just that. The clamps I had tightened may not have been tightened enough. Or when the hose was installed they were tightened too much. We really don't know. But the design on the intercooler resivoir hose is a poor design. 2 pieces instead of one piece. I'm not sure why because the kit from Whipple has a one piece hose.

Actually the kit comes with 2 piece in more then one location and thats one of them. Something I was thinking about when putting mine on was the long term availability of hoses. In my experience the intercooler fluid never gets very hot but maybe some locktite on the hose clamps would help. Are you leaking at the pump or the union of the two hoses ? Mine has spring clamps at the union and hose clamps at the pump. I saw on mustang sources someone thought they had an intercooler leak but later he said that wasn't the issue. Hope it all works out for you.

Actually the kit comes with 2 piece in more then one location and thats one of them. Something I was thinking about when putting mine on was the long term availability of hoses. In my experience the intercooler fluid never gets very hot but maybe some locktite on the hose clamps would help. Are you leaking at the pump or the union of the two hoses ? Mine has spring clamps at the union and hose clamps at the pump. I saw on mustang sources someone thought they had an intercooler leak but later he said that wasn't the issue. Hope it all works out for you.

Hose clamps on everything. Looks like it may be ok. Guess I'll find out on the trip from Vegas to LA :blink:

For the record, Roger and I have been chatting so I don't want you all to know (oops) think I sabatoshed Roger's car so I can get all the attention in LV. LOL

Roger, I am glad things worked out - as I knew it would. I thought for a minute there that we were going to have to pull your wheels, hood, exhaust and other secret things and ship them to LV so we could put them on another Mustang when we got out there for those few days.

SGT3369, when you come up here, let us know. Maybe you, Roger and I can meet for coffee, tea, beer, whiskey, strip joint, scotch, wine...

Oh wait a minute, skip that strip joint part. Roger might get up and dance if we go there. We should just meet at a DUNKIN DOUGHNUTS instead that way we'll be sure he won't get up on the counter and dance since he manages all of them in RI/MA. LOL

Dave, start saving. You're gonna love it!

Adam and I have been talking and he's been telling me about this bad a$$ exhaust on your car, so if it sounds that good and I have to upgrade our car, I will be blaming you. LOL

Good luck and keep us posted,

Dave

Dave, I'm used to getting blamed for everything Adam does, so no big deal. :lol::lol::lol:

:( Hope you get your car back in time Roger. We did not make it in time to get Party tickets. Debbie and I will be in LV on Sat, Sun and Mon with our car on that same weekend. I am having The MAD Shop put the brake ducts on Monday Morning.

If you guys are planning any fun things in conjunction with this B-Day bash while in LV please let us know and maybe we can meet up with you'all.

Please let us know.

Later,

Clink

:( Hope you get your car back in time Roger. We did not make it in time to get Party tickets. Debbie and I will be in LV on Sat, Sun and Mon with our car on that same weekend. I am having The MAD Shop put the brake ducts on Monday Morning.

If you guys are planning any fun things in conjunction with this B-Day bash while in LV please let us know and maybe we can meet up with you'all.

Please let us know.

Later,

Clink

Hey Clinkster, Have a link below for tickets for drag race and car show, 100.00 and car show only 25.00 for Saturday only, we expect to see you there. Would love to meet you, I don't know if we'll ever get this chance to get this many people together at one time again........So you better be there. This will also be the autograph session with Carroll Shelby. So get a hold of Sharon and get a ticket. See ya in Vegas.

Dave

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...showtopic=14134

Please let us know.

Later,

Clink

Dave, looks like it may be OK. We think we found it. It is in the Tasca Body Shop now having the roof stripes installed. Intercooler may be fine. I will see you on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday should be a fun day. My flight leaves Vegas at 2:20 PM on Sunday. I just could not get any more time off to do Barrett Jackson. That's the real bummer because I have been wanting to go for the last 5 years. :angry:

I'm sure we will be doing something on Saturday. Can't wait to meet everyone and take a group "forum" photo.

We will see you in Vegas.

Roger

Hey Clinkster, Have a link below for tickets for drag race and car show, 100.00 and car show only 25.00 for Saturday only, we expect to see you there. Would love to meet you, I don't know if we'll ever get this chance to get this many people together at one time again........So you better be there. This will also be the autograph session with Carroll Shelby. So get a hold of Sharon and get a ticket. See ya in Vegas.

Dave

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...showtopic=14134

Thanks DAve, :)

I'm in for the Sat Drags and Show. I appreciate your help on this. Hope to see you there.

Clink B)

Dave, looks like it may be OK. We think we found it. It is in the Tasca Body Shop now having the roof stripes installed. Intercooler may be fine. I will see you on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday should be a fun day. My flight leaves Vegas at 2:20 PM on Sunday. I just could not get any more time off to do Barrett Jackson. That's the real bummer because I have been wanting to go for the last 5 years. :angry:

I'm sure we will be doing something on Saturday. Can't wait to meet everyone and take a group "forum" photo.

We will see you in Vegas.

Roger

Great news on the car,

I just paid for the Drag/show for Sat. I will PM you my cell #. We will be in LV Sat Morning around 9AM. Give me a call if you would on Saturday and we can hook up.

Thanks,

See you guys there,

David

Thanks DAve, :)

I'm in for the Sat Drags and Show. I appreciate your help on this. Hope to see you there.

Clink B)

Great news on the car,

I just paid for the Drag/show for Sat. I will PM you my cell #. We will be in LV Sat Morning around 9AM. Give me a call if you would on Saturday and we can hook up.

Thanks,

See you guys there,

David

Got it. Will do. :)

SGT3369, when you come up here, let us know. Maybe you, Roger and I can meet for coffee, tea, beer, whiskey, strip joint, scotch, wine...

All sound good-WTH-I'm divorced. Please let me know how your stripes worked out. Thanks!

Stripes came out well. They repaired the roof stripes and did not replace. The quality was not as good as the ones on the car. You really can't tell at all. The rear stripe is as original. No unexpected issues. All is well. Speak with Steve Gyette who is the service director of Tasca Performance. He handled my entire issue from start to finish. Not bad.....having the director handling your problems. He understands the importance of these cars to the owners and treats them as his own.

Archived