TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Went to the dragstrip last night

SGT3517

So the last time I ran a car down the dragstrip was about 2 years ago when I had my built 97 Rio Red Cobra that was all motor that ran 12s. I decided to take the SGT last night and she had 1800 miles on her. It was 33 degrees in Houston and I had a hard time with traction on our very crappy KDWS 235 street tires. This was the last night our dragstrip was going to be open for 2007 so it was packed. There must have been 400 cars running. There were 8 staging lanes about 30 cars deep each. Tons of Mustangs, a couple of C5 Z06s and a couple of C6Z06s, a few LT1 and LS1 Trans Ams,Camaros,and Formulas. The usual few Lightnings some silverado pickups, and your import crew WRXs Evos, etc. 1 GT500 and 1 Shelby GT(me)! Got 2 passes in for 3 and a half hours there. First run I ruined.

Did a baby burnout(not supposed to heat up street tires)doesn't really help, and tried leaving the line at 2K. Muwahahaha. As soon as the clutch engaged I bounced straight to redline about 5 times, then spun in 2nd. I had a 2.56 60 ft and ran a 14.44 @ 102.9. I was impressed that I didn't run a 15 with that 60 ft time @ 98. So next and final round I went up , did a little burnout again since it was 33 degrees. I left about 1200 rpms and it worked alright. A little spin in 1st, got to second gear and started getting sideways, had to let off a bit. Got a 2.34 60ft with a 13.99@103.6. These cars are very strong compared to previous GTs I've had. I also had a ton left in it....traction was a big issue. I cut off 3 tenths on the 60ft and gained a half second. I would say with some DRs and a 1.8 60ft a 13.0 or a 12.9 wouldn't be far fetched. I saw an S197 GT run a 13.4@102.06 last night so I know she's got low 13s in her.

Any body else drag their car in stock trim?

Not the ideal conditions for drag racing, but respectable times for a bone stocker!

Respectable numbers and actually better than what I would have predicted!

Obviously you had Traction Control "Off". I wonder what difference (better or worse) that would have made? Perhaps more consistency in bracket racing?

Were your burnouts wet or dry? I understand that if wet burnouts are made with street tires, moisture gets trapped in the treads, causing loss of traction.

Respectable numbers and actually better than what I would have predicted!

Obviously you had Traction Control "Off". I wonder what difference (better or worse) that would have made? Perhaps more consistency in bracket racing?

Were your burnouts wet or dry? I understand that if wet burnouts are made with street tires, moisture gets trapped in the treads, causing loss of traction.

Traction controll was off. Dry burnouts for sure. Even in previous stangs with Drag Radials, I did dry burnouts.

sounds like fun! Couldn't help but share this with you..I bought the 07 thinking the wife would drive it as a daily driver but she has only driven it once! I let her take it out by herself and when she came back she said it was too nice to drive it every day....so I started to look for something else....found this 97 and bought it last weekend for her....she says she'll drive this one! 32,000 miles all stock except wheels....need a bigger garage now! :D

Great runs David; especially with those temps.

I too ran on the last day of drag racing up here in New England about 7 weeks ago with temps in the low 50's or high 40's. Needless to say, I was not impressed with my numbers at all. It was my first time ever on the track and I have a Whipple and you still beat me. I'd say more and embarrass myself, but you asked for only stock discussions. Besides, it is posted elsewhere on this forum.

I have ran my Shelby a few times and This is not a Drag Car..........

It is a Road Car! Plain and simple..........

The only way your going to get good numbers is to make some changes to the car. The KDW's suck for traction no matter what you try....

If you get the car to hook up, then you will see the mid to low 13's

Next time you go, Remove the front sway bar so the wieght transfer will be in your favor..........

Clink was beatin up on me bad one night at Barona in the Hertz he was running before he got his ride......

Traction, Traction, Traction...............

Some video here at LACR, 1/8 mile........

Drag Video

Heres my first win, Bracket racing at Home track (No longer there):

My Shelby's First Win

I have ran my Shelby a few times and This is not a Drag Car..........

It is a Road Car! Plain and simple..........

The only way your going to get good numbers is to make some changes to the car. The KDW's suck for traction no matter what you try....

If you get the car to hook up, then you will see the mid to low 13's

Next time you go, Remove the front sway bar so the wieght transfer will be in your favor..........

Clink was beatin up on me bad one night at Barona in the Hertz he was running before he got his ride......

Traction, Traction, Traction...............

Some video here at LACR, 1/8 mile........

Drag Video

Heres my first win, Bracket racing at Home track (No longer there):

My Shelby's First Win

Nice job, Ed!

Archived