TEAM SHELBY FORUM

For those looking for a big brake kit for Stock 18's

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ran across this and it may be an alternative. Looks interesting at least.

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/cgi-...ws.pl?record=25

Roger,

I have an e-mail out to these guys and will report what I find out. If this works, I will owe you two beverages of your choice in Las Vegas in January. :D And, yes, on this one, your obsessiveness was put to good use. :lol: Jim

Ran across this and it may be an alternative. Looks interesting at least.

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/cgi-...ws.pl?record=25

I heard back from this company. I did not get an answer other than to tell me to check my wheels against their template. Seemed odd when they put a SGT in the add for the brakes, I ask them if the brake package will fit the stock SGT (and refer to the photo), and I do not get a yes or no answer. :( Ah, well. Jim

I heard back from this company. I did not get an answer other than to tell me to check my wheels against their template. Seemed odd when they put a SGT in the add for the brakes, I ask them if the brake package will fit the stock SGT (and refer to the photo), and I do not get a yes or no answer. :( Ah, well. Jim

It was worth a try Jim. They had a great write up in Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine. I don't know why they would be so noncommittal? :unsure: It either does or does not.

Jim I did speak to the owner of the company today. Too long an explination for the forum but essentially it is all about caliper overhang and the relationship of the hat on the rotor to the outmost surface of the caliper housing and how much distance from that point to the wheel. He has not mocked up "specificlly" a Shelby GT wheel as a reference but would be willing to do so.

You can contact me if you would like and I can give you more detail.

Roger

Jim I did speak to the owner of the company today. Too long an explination for the forum but essentially it is all about caliper overhang and the relationship of the hat on the rotor to the outmost surface of the caliper housing and how much distance from that point to the wheel. He has not mocked up "specificlly" a Shelby GT wheel as a reference but would be willing to do so.

You can contact me if you would like and I can give you more detail.

Roger

Todd is a great guy and easy to work with. Yes, he will bowl-you-over with technical data once you pull his string, I have worked with him on a few Marauder projects myself, and like most automotive guys, he has his nooks, crannies and favored areas. Yet, he is very generous and dedicated to his trade...Brakes.

If you call out there, ask him about his race cars and he will talk for hours. As a man to do business with, he's "five star" in my book.

All that's needed here, is for one of us to pony up a stock SGT wheel and send it out to Todd. In a short while, we will get a very high performance opinion of what works, with a price that should be comfortable for most of us.

You can trust Todd, y'all be safe.

You are correct. Great guy and a technical, very technical guy at that. I enjoyed our conversation. And he does know his brakes. He did suggest that if he had a wheel and could find a Mustang niche he would do his best to fill it or adapt a specific application.

You are correct. Great guy and a technical, very technical guy at that. I enjoyed our conversation. And he does know his brakes. He did suggest that if he had a wheel and could find a Mustang niche he would do his best to fill it or adapt a specific application.

FWIW: While I don't have direct personal experience with TCE, they are very active and provide very good support on multiple racing forums. Generally held in high regard by amateur racers.

(Another) Todd

This one owns CSM1638

Gents,

Thanks for the nice words and even those of a more questionable nature. I'm good with all of it.

Pics: I'll change it. The image on the Mustang web page as a result of a simple google search: Image, 2008 Mustang. It's a Ford image and was a good looking car, that's the only reason I selected it from others. No smoke and mirrors, no intent, no misleading bs etc.

Knowledge: Let me be up front and honest here: I'm not a Mustang fanatic any more than I am any other vehicle I'm offering kits for now or the past 14yrs. I promise you all that YOU know more about your car than I do or ever will. To me it a platform. A spindle in need of new parts. A rotor, a caliper, and the part necessary to pull them together. I rely on guys like yourselves to help educate me beyond what I can find on my own. I don't even a Mustang with a bbk. In fact, now that I think about it today...I don't own any car I offer a kit for....hmm. Well other than the race car. Sold the SHO years ago. Anyhow...

Test fit and all. The brackets and parts for this kit were a combination of two sources of info; the Wilwood factory brackets and a 2007 Hertz rental car! Normally I front some cash for a local customer to show up and offer up some cash for gas. In this case I had much of the info and only needed to finalize what I had in prototype. And often an onlooker only slows the process down with a ton of questions. So for a bit north of $50 I had my info. Now if the Shebly has different spindle parts or steering knuckles I'm totally in the dark here.

Why the TCE and what's the difference? My info and dealer relations with Wilwood go way back. Back to the early nineties when I was Bondurants shop manager. (maybe that'll pump up the resume a bit LOL) I can sell you the factory kit all day long and for many folks it a great deal at a great price. I targeted the new caliper to go one step beyond. The majority of my guys do open track time. The BSL6r is marginal for such use in the eyes of the track junkie.

But does it fit??? What I know is that it fits a new Mustang. Yours, I don't know. It all comes down to wheel fit. I chose to use the current Wilwood pdf as it's more in depth than my own normal (and outdated 13") way of checking wheel clearance. Open pdf, visualize new caliper, change body overhang by .42" and you have new dimension to check fit. I didn't think it would get much easier than that.

Do I really want these though? I don't know. If you are shopping a similar kit or even the std Wilwood kit this monster is going to be a worthy contender. Comparing to another vendors (who shall be known only as ST) this set up is a bit more wheel friendly. And the caliper is as meaty or more so.

I wish I could come to the table with all the answers for you in one sitting but I cannot. If one of you lives in the PHX area then come on by. Currently the package is for 2005+ Mustangs, just like the factory kits. And yes it fits 18s but yours I cannot say.

Right car, wrong fit. I didn't even need to try it. Not a chance.

The bracket/hat/rotor relationship was as required and the hose mount can work with a bracket kit from the Marauder of all things. (ah, after I had to re bend the tab my waterjet guys bent the wrong way on 40pcs...grrr)

Gents,

Thanks for the nice words and even those of a more questionable nature. I'm good with all of it.

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your posts. To the extent I sounded negative, please accept my regrets. Sometimes, I get a headache when I beat my head against the proverbial wall for too long. I have been looking for a solution in this area (big brakes/stock wheels) since before I took delivery of the car but without success. Webba said it best: "If you were able to come up with a kit to keep the stock wheels I am quite sure alot of us would buy it." As a way to deal with this, would it help you if I shipped you a stock wheel and tire and let you play around with it? Thanks to Webba, I have a spare and can part with it for a while if it would further the cause of solving the big brakes/stock wheels problem. Let me know, Todd, and, again, thanks for the input. For the first time, it looks like a real solution may be at hand. Jim

Before sending parts around to anyone can someone to a simple measurement on the stock wheel now?

Using some simple straight edge rulers on the back side of the wheel what clearance do we have at about 7.75" radius now? Image below showing a clearance of .95" at only 7" it's better suited for 13" rotors. But you get the idea- are you even close to 1.3" of clearance at a greater radius?

wheel_clearance_new.jpg

Before sending parts around to anyone can someone to a simple measurement on the stock wheel now?

Using some simple straight edge rulers on the back side of the wheel what clearance do we have at about 7.75" radius now? Image below showing a clearance of .95" at only 7" it's better suited for 13" rotors. But you get the idea- are you even close to 1.3" of clearance at a greater radius?

wheel_clearance_new.jpg

Hi Todd,

I will do that measurement tonight. If anyone can get to it sooner, please post. Those of you on the right coast will end your day before those here on the left coast so that might be a possiblity. Thanks. Jim

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your posts. To the extent I sounded negative, please accept my regrets. Sometimes, I get a headache when I beat my head against the proverbial wall for too long. I have been looking for a solution in this area (big brakes/stock wheels) since before I took delivery of the car but without success. Webba said it best: "If you were able to come up with a kit to keep the stock wheels I am quite sure alot of us would buy it." As a way to deal with this, would it help you if I shipped you a stock wheel and tire and let you play around with it? Thanks to Webba, I have a spare and can part with it for a while if it would further the cause of solving the big brakes/stock wheels problem. Let me know, Todd, and, again, thanks for the input. For the first time, it looks like a real solution may be at hand. Jim

the spindles on our Shelby GTs may be different too with the lowered suspension. the geometry could be different...i guess...i dont know....i'm not a front end specrapt. but i'm sure Todd wouldnt mind if you shipped your Shelby GT to him and let him play around with it and see what he can come up with. ;):lol:

why is it misspelling the word "s p e c i a l i s t" when i submitted my last post? it keeps spelling it "specrapt"

i keep gettin the CGI error page too <_<

The spindles are stock Ford - no change. I can't see how the geometry could affect the spacing because, Rotor: round and flat - Wheel: round and flat - wheel mount flat to rotor. Hmm... me talk like indian?

Now if you figure out a way to introduce a universal joint between the rotor and wheel you may have a problem :blink:

Can't wait for the anser .. :ph34r:

The spindles are stock Ford - no change.

Agreed. The SGT has stock Ford production line Mustang GT brake/spindle parts, no changes by SAI. Only changes front suspension related, is the addition of certain Ford Racing parts. Sway bar, shocks, springs and strut tower brace. While this lowers the front suspension, there were no modifications to the braking systems.

wheel_clearance_new.jpg

HI Todd,

Per my earlier post of today, I did the measurement, using your photo as my guide. "X"comes out to 1" on the Shelby stock wheel. It may be a tiny bit more but I would rather be conservative with it. It is not easy to measure, given the angle. Does that help your analysis? Jim

Archived