TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Took my SGT to the track today!

efrazier

I took my 07 SGT to Motor Sport Ranch near Ft. Worth Texas today....All I can say is WOW!

Let me qualify:

I've been participating in track events since 2000, when I got my first real car a 2000 SVT Cobra R, yes one of 500! That car was actually a bit of a let down, and I paid well over $60K for it! I'll never tell the actual price in fear of my wife finding out!

Since the Cobra R, I've had a couple of Porsche 911's, a C6 vette, and a Viper...(Yes I know this shows a pattern!) All cars that I tracked, and never found the "Shoe that fits", some where either too precious, due to the amount of debt each represented, or just plain lackluster, or I had to sacrifice something for them.

The last car I had a year ago was a Subaru WRX Sti, and to give credit where it's due, that's a great car. It was just too UGLY, and my wife give me a complex over it! :) So it had to go!

Okay so with some foresight, and a little experience I purchased my Shelby GT a month ago for a couple of reasons. 1. I needed a TOY, 2. Ford offered it with Z-Plan (My Dad is retired from Ford), 3. It's offered some exclusivity, and who in their right mind doesn't respect Mr. Shelby! 4. It has a back seat for my kids!

But I didn't just buy the Shelby GT, I also purchased along with it, the Shelby Paxton 1200 SC "polished" kit, the Shelby Big Brakes, and Shelby "American Racing" 18" wheels shod with Michilin Pilot Sport 2's (Everyone should use these in my mind!) 255 Front, 285's Rear. And, yes you're right the brakes did not fit...Only bummer...Though trust me, I can speak with expereince after today, the stock brakes are just fine.

Northside Ford here in San Antonio sold me my SGT, and installed the Super Charger, a full week + worth of work - and with a few custome made brackets (Not kidding that install looks like a major Bi...) and around $1400 later- they did a fantastic Job! My hats off to the two technicians Jeff and Richard, who stayed last night until 10:30PM working on my car "After the Dealer is way closed, and Service Dept CLosed at 7PM finishing my Car... They had to do everything right, and heat test the car and redo many things, because from the dealer last night I was taking this car for a 4 hour road trip through the middle and I mean "smack dab" nowwhere Texas between San Antonio (South Central) and Ft. Worth area (North Central)... How's that for brave - with a brand new SC install between midnight and 3AM???

Needless to say, they did thier job right, and I'm here to tell my tale already back in San Antonio!

Everyone should buy the Shelby/Paxton SC kit as an add for their SGT's.

That Super Charger is so quiet, I was shocked... When the techs started the car for the first time after the install it the SC whined like crazy, and I was like "what did I do?" it was so annoying, but after letting the car idle for 30 minutes, and warming up and lubricate really well it's almost undetecable. So much so that if you didn't know it was on there, you'd have no idea.... I put Mobil 1 0W40 Euro formula in, Good enough for Porsche, good enough for me!

Okay so to the good stuff... The performance dynamic of the car after the SC, and Tires is now World Class. I put it easily over any of the vehicles I've owned before, including a 2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S (A baaad boy!)...I'm not talking about 0-60, or quarter mile (I don't care about that!) though I'd bet $1000 that the SGT with Shelby/Paxton SC smokes a GT500 (400 lbs less weight) in such a race...

The SGT with the Shelby super charger kit and tire upgrade now feels so nuetral under extreme conditions, and the power delivery up high where it's needed that it inspires tons of driver confidence, and I was passing everything today. The instructor that was riding with me, races a new Z06, and fell in love with the SGT...You can actually feel what a Shelby is all about, when its out on the trip running in one of these driving events! This is racing DNA from Mr. Shelby that we've all been desiring! I drove the SNOT out of the car today, I'm talking half a tank of gas in 20 minutes of hard race-like driving! And the SGT wanted nothing but MORE! Really way more car than driver. Boy does the SGT now pull like a freight train :)

Check out www.thedriversedge.net to see the types of track events I'm referring to here in Texas.

Hey Tracker47,

I did the track thing last Saturday, and agree with you. I have tracked a Roush 360R and a C6 Vette before, and the SGT should be called the SHELBY GT-KT.

(King of the Track)

That's funny because I was thinking the same thing.... The SGT is a real Shelby in my humble opinion, I was looking at the GT500 at the dealer yesterday for $66K, and to me that's a Ford SVT product with a Shelby badge (No offense to anyone), I've had a couple SVT vehicles and thier great, just always lacking in some area though...Whereas when I think Carol Shelby I think of the LeMans wins and the Cobra and the other vehicles that actually ran around tracks to beat Corvettes and Ferrari's for a living. People get too wraped around the axil with HP, 0-60, and Qtr mile times. The real trick is making a car neutral on a race track, with good feedback, and power to weight. Something that Mr. Shelby historically has seemed to do very very well. Just wait and see, I think the SGT will be the collectors item in 40 years... Especially if it has the SC that says "Shelby" on it... Just my opinion... I will post some pics of my car with the Shelby Wheels (black) and of the SC install, it looks so sweet... Also to anyone interested the 18" wheels are better than 20's for track events, hels keep the velocity more centered, and you can get a wider contact patch... So I was told today...

Bravo!

Outstanding posts gents, congrats and thanks!

One question...Which Baer "big brake" kit would not fit the stock SGT wheels? Was it the two pot PBR "BaerClaw" kit, or, the PBR six pot "Extreme-Plus" kit?

Bravo!

Outstanding posts gents, congrats and thanks!

One question...Which Baer "big brake" kit would not fit the stock SGT wheels? Was it the two pot PBR "BaerClaw" kit, or, the PBR six pot "Extreme-Plus" kit?

To the best of my knowledge none he braje kits work with the stock SGT mustang GT wheels. they're onlu 8.0" wide. The wheels I upgraded to are American Racing Shelby Torque Thrust, Black with Machined lip, they're really sweet and say "Shelby" on the machined lip and center cap.

I purchased the Baer big brake kit that says "Shelby" Those calipers a freaking HUGE! And would not fit with my new 18x9 front wheels. I bet those babies have some serious stopping power! I'd love to be able to use them. Though at the Same time I love my new wheels, they look so classic, and I will always use the Michilin Pilot Spot 2's. That's an unbeleivable tire, it's very quiet and complient for the ride, and when warmed up on the track sticks like crazy!

Oh ya, I also filled them with Nitrogen, I highly recomend this too. It was a new experience and my pressure hardly increased on the track at all when they got hot. The Ford dealer offered Nitrogen fills, and I'm going to do this on my wife car too. Well worth it...

To the best of my knowledge none he braje kits work with the stock SGT mustang GT wheels. they're onlu 8.0" wide. The wheels I upgraded to are American Racing Shelby Torque Thrust, Black with Machined lip, they're really sweet and say "Shelby" on the machined lip and center cap.

I purchased the Baer big brake kit that says "Shelby" Those calipers a freaking HUGE! And would not fit with my new 18x9 front wheels. I bet those babies have some serious stopping power! I'd love to be able to use them. Though at the Same time I love my new wheels, they look so classic, and I will always use the Michilin Pilot Spot 2's. That's an unbeleivable tire, it's very quiet and complient for the ride, and when warmed up on the track sticks like crazy!

Oh ya, I also filled them with Nitrogen, I highly recomend this too. It was a new experience and my pressure hardly increased on the track at all when they got hot. The Ford dealer offered Nitrogen fills, and I'm going to do this on my wife car too. Well worth it...

None of this help me in my query, but thanks for the reply.

• 3 weeks later...

i agree with you a hundred percent the upgrade of the supercharger diffently makes the gt a better ride. i installed a polished vortech s-trim( which owns paxton) with a polished intercooler myself on the shelby. the install went really well and the guys at vortech gave me a really great deal on this kit. the supercharger gives you the ride of the gt 500 with alot less out of pocket.

Although I am a road course enthusiast and not a drag racer, it would be interesting to know what the s/c cars can do from 0-60 and the 1/4 mile.

They will have the 1/4 mile open at the Birthday Bash. Hopefully they will be able to provide time sheets. There is atleast 4-5 of our member's supercharged cars going. Mine will be on the 1/4. I'll post times when we get back..............if mine is at least as good as Sue's. :P

They will have the 1/4 mile open at the Birthday Bash. Hopefully they will be able to provide time sheets. There is atleast 4-5 of our member's supercharged cars going. Mine will be on the 1/4. I'll post times when we get back..............if mine is at least as good as Sue's. :P

haha ! I don't know that I will be doing the 1/4 mile lol.....maybe just a lap around the track?

ohhhh man this is going to be fun !

Archived