TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Battery Drain

69dejavue

My SGT is already on its second battery as the first would not hold a charge. Now the second will not hold a charge. I spoke to the service manager today and he stated there was a TSB from Ford saying the Mustang must be driven, at highway speed, for at least 20 minutes per week in order to keep the battery charged. He stated merely starting the car and lettting it idle will not suffice. I asked him how many other Fords have that requirement and he stated none. So I said if I take my car to the airport, leave on vacation, and come back in two weeks it will not start? He said probably not. I said there must be a problem and the TSB is not going to satisfy customers. Is anyone else having a problem with their battery dying after sitting for 2-3 weeks?

My SGT is already on its second battery as the first would not hold a charge. Now the second will not hold a charge. I spoke to the service manager today and he stated there was a TSB from Ford saying the Mustang must be driven, at highway speed, for at least 20 minutes per week in order to keep the battery charged. He stated merely starting the car and lettting it idle will not suffice. I asked him how many other Fords have that requirement and he stated none. So I said if I take my car to the airport, leave on vacation, and come back in two weeks it will not start? He said probably not. I said there must be a problem and the TSB is not going to satisfy customers. Is anyone else having a problem with their battery dying after sitting for 2-3 weeks?

Do you have the shaker 1000 audio system?

I have all 2007 FMC TSBs in my hands and this story sounds like Service Department BS. So, I guess it won't hurt to check this out one more time? Lifted from another of my replies here just a few days ago...

"Ford TSB 06-19-14 describes a "no crank/starter terminal fatigue". There are about 10 vehicles affected, but the Mustang isn't listed.

Issue:

"Some vehicles may exhibit a no crank condition due to an open circuit in the starter relay motor circuit at the starter motor connection".

The TSB provides a repair kit ((6U2Z-14S411-NA) to replace the relay and install a new starter "pigtail", rather than replace the entire harness.

I can't say this is the problem as it is described (or, affects us SGT owners), but if your own testing is leading you to determine a relationship between a dead battery and the ignition system, this may be something you want to suggest too your dealer. IMHO, an "open circut" in the starter relay will cause a batttery drain.

Hope this helps, carry on gents.

Can't hurt to try one more time?

Went on a trip this summer for about 2 weeks car sparked up fine when I got back. Sounds like a short. Maybe anti-theft drains it? BTW look out for airport garages. Anti theft should not drain a battery that quick. Try the stangsunleashed site there are some ford techs who post on there.

Thank you all. Yes I do have the active anti-theft and I understand it is a drain but it certainly should not drain a battery in 2 weeks. Apparently a lot of people are having problems and I have learned never to trust the service managers. They seem to know the least about mechanics in the process and they are often willing to say anything to snow the customer. The car has an appointment after Christmas and I will keep you posted.

Thank you

Thank you all. Yes I do have the active anti-theft and I understand it is a drain but it certainly should not drain a battery in 2 weeks. Apparently a lot of people are having problems and I have learned never to trust the service managers. They seem to know the least about mechanics in the process and they are often willing to say anything to snow the customer. The car has an appointment after Christmas and I will keep you posted.

Thank you

PS- I do not have the Shaker 1000 system but I do have SIRIUS satellite radio. I do have the active-anti theft. I did turn the radio off before turning the car off as I heard this could be an issue.

Archived