TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SHELBY Lettering

boliger

This thread went down the crapper.

It really doesn't matter to me.....it'll be something i'll have to get used to anyway when i finish building my '65 Daytona Coupe. Half of the "Shelby fans" don't even know what a Daytona is anyway....lol

With only 6 made, it's impossible for me to own an "original" so....i'm building my own. Wonder how you guys feel about that? "Hey Marge look...that guy has a "fake" Shelby and a kit car...what a poser!"

What makes a Shelby a Shelby? The factt hat it went to Vegas and they added some stuff to it? So,if you send your GT500 for a SS kit, that makes it a Shelby? What if the SS kit is added in a place other than Vegas? Will it be a Shelby?

The fact is that SGT and GTH and GT500 are all Mustangs built by Ford........some at modified outside of Ford like the SGT and GTH.......others are modified at Ford like the GT500.......but all have the Shelby name on them.......so, in my mind, that makes all a Shelby.

What makes a Shelby a Shelby? The fact that it went to Vegas and they added some stuff to it? So,if you send your GT500 for a SS kit, that makes it a Shelby? What if the SS kit is added in a place other than Vegas? Will it be a Shelby?

I personally think the Super Snake is to the GT 500 as the Shelby GT is to the Mustang GT. In both cases, SAI takes Ford factory built cars and improves their performance.

What makes a Shelby a Shelby? The fact that it went to Vegas and they added some stuff to it? So,if you send your GT500 for a SS kit, that makes it a Shelby? What if the SS kit is added in a place other than Vegas? Will it be a Shelby?

I personally think the Super Snake is to the GT 500 as the Shelby GT is to the Mustang GT. In both cases, SAI takes Ford factory built cars and improves their performance.

On this "Real Shelby" issue; I will just throw this out for thought/discussion.

Is the Mazda B-Series pickup truck really a Mazda? It's called a Mazda but it's really a Ford Ranger with different badging and grille. Both are built in the same Twin Cities Assembly plant. But is it any less of a Mazda than a Mazda built at a Mazda factory?

Is the GT 500 any less of a Shelby because it was built and finished at a Ford facility (rather than built at a Ford facilty and finished at a Shelby facility)?

What about the 1968-1970 Shelby Mustangs? They weren't built or modified in a Shelby facility. Are they "Real Shelbys"?

I guess the answer to all these questions just depends on who you ask.

If you ask SAI and TeamShelby they would say they are all Shelbys.

This thread went down the crapper.

It really doesn't matter to me.....it'll be something i'll have to get used to anyway when i finish building my '65 Daytona Coupe. Half of the "Shelby fans" don't even know what a Daytona is anyway....lol

With only 6 made, it's impossible for me to own an "original" so....i'm building my own. Wonder how you guys feel about that? "Hey Marge look...that guy has a "fake" Shelby and a kit car...what a poser!"

LuLu and i talked on the phone about this very thing. it depends on who you talk too. everyone has there opinion. i knew this thread would turn into exactly what its turning into. well i love a good debate, but im not going to change anyones mind on this one. good luck guys sorting this one out.

michael morris

What about the 1968-1970 Shelby Mustangs? They weren't built or modified in a Shelby facility. Are they "Real Shelbys"?

Amen to the statement above.

This is a ridiculous debate, IMO. Maybe guys were arguing "real" Shelbys back in the day (I doubt it), but there is no argument now whether a 69 Shelby GT500 is a 'real' Shelby. Someone needs to tell Barrett/Jackson that the 69s aren't real. Let's get out and enjoy the hobby rather than argue amongst ourselves over something this ridiculous and subjective. I love my GT500 like I did my 03 Cobra. The Shelby lettering is just icing on the cake.

Amen to the statement above.

This is a ridiculous debate, IMO. Maybe guys were arguing "real" Shelbys back in the day (I doubt it), but there is no argument now whether a 69 Shelby GT500 is a 'real' Shelby. Someone needs to tell Barrett/Jackson that the 69s aren't real. Let's get out and enjoy the hobby rather than argue amongst ourselves over something this ridiculous and subjective. I love my GT500 like I did my 03 Cobra. The Shelby lettering is just icing on the cake.

welcome to the board and well said for a first post.

michael morris

Is this information accurate? If so, i just learned something today.

Oh, and if it's true.....that'll end this debate right here and now.

By 1968, Shelby production had been taken over by Ford with basic production at the Metuchen Mustang factory. Those cars destined to become GT350's, GT500's, or GT500-KR's were then transported to Livonia, Michigan, where A.O. Smith and Company undertook that task of adding all the exclusive fiberglass body and trim parts, as well as taking care of distributing these cars to the proper dealerships around the world.
http://classiccars.com/Classifieds/Listing...CC130FE2F&cs=01

Other sources.

Ford and the A.O. Smith Company facility in Livonia, Michigan now had control of the production of the Shelby Mustang as it rolled into 1968 with the introduction of a new body style-the convertible which was available in either a GT350 or GT500.
http://www.mustangspecs.com/years/68shelby.shtml

The lease was expiring on the two hangers that housed Shelby American at the Venice, California, airport. Sales of Shelby Mustangs were up in 1967, six times more than 1966, promising an even better 1968. More assembly space was going to be needed to build more cars. The increased sales also compounded the problems of obtaining a large enough supply of quality fiberglass to modify the cars.

http://www.thecarsource.com/shelby/1968/68...ymustangs.shtml

A.O. Smith in Ionia, Michigan, was supplying quality fiberglass to GM for its Corvettes. They agreed to make fiberglass parts for the Shelby Mustangs. Shelby American was split into three pieces. The Shelby Racing Company was moved to Torrance, California. The Shelby Parts Company started out in Torrance, California, but was later moved to Michigan and renamed Shelby Autosports. The third piece was to produce the Shelby Mustangs, Shelby Automotive, Inc. It only made sense to move the production facilities to Michigan, Ford was making more of the decisions on what the Shelby Mustang was to be, production decisions and how to sell the cars. A more reliable supplier of quality fiberglass would be much closer. Assembly operations were moved to A.O. Smith's large facilities in Ionia, Michigan. And Ford owned the name COBRA. Shelby Automotive was to be based in Livonia, Michigan.

http://www.thecarsource.com/shelby/1968/68...ymustangs.shtml[/url]

The last quote makes it sound like Shelby moved operations from California to Michigan unlike the quotes above.

Michael, they are not both "Shelbys".

Some cars were "refined" in Nevada by SAI, some were not, and I do not believe we will ever get past this untill we agree on it. I respect with my whole heart that Carroll Shelby had a lot to do with GT 500 development on behalf of FMC, but he did not build the car. OTOH, an SGT is what it is, a Shelby build.

Last I have to say on it all.

Y'all be safe.

All I know is my window sticker says shelby. It does not say mustang anywhere on it. The car does not say mustang anywhere on it. And my title says shelby not mustang. I'm pretty sure a sgt is titled as a ford mustang. I also think Mr. Shelby would sign any part of my car for about $250 plus shipping which would be a modifacation done by mister shelby himself. Don't get me wrong I think the sgt's are great cars. I'm even looking for a sgt vert for my wife. But the truth of the matter is I can understand why someone would want to throw stones at those of us who are lucky enough to have these cars. I have driven both and I will take my 500 any day, shelby or not. $10,000 for 182 HP seems like a no brainer to me. Where $9000 for 18 HP over a stock stang I don't think sounds so great. Anyways I dont want to make nyone mad this just seems like a stupid arguement to me. If your happy with your car thats all really matters your the one that drives and pays for it and who cares what anyone else thinks. Happy Holidays

All I know is my window sticker says shelby. It does not say mustang anywhere on it. The car does not say mustang anywhere on it. And my title says shelby not mustang. I'm pretty sure a sgt is titled as a ford mustang. I also think Mr. Shelby would sign any part of my car for about $250 plus shipping which would be a modifacation done by mister shelby himself. Don't get me wrong I think the sgt's are great cars. I'm even looking for a sgt vert for my wife. But the truth of the matter is I can understand why someone would want to throw stones at those of us who are lucky enough to have these cars. I have driven both and I will take my 500 any day, shelby or not. $10,000 for 182 HP seems like a no brainer to me. Where $9000 for 18 HP over a stock stang I don't think sounds so great. Anyways I dont want to make nyone mad this just seems like a stupid arguement to me. If your happy with your car thats all really matters your the one that drives and pays for it and who cares what anyone else thinks. Happy Holidays

(yawn)

(stretch)

(duck?)

Whatever...I stand by my original statement.

Funny how you start out building your argument for which Mustang is a better investment, and end it by saying it doesn't matter. Either way, send me your VIN via SergntMac@aol.com and I'll do a LEO title search. Bet you a beer that you own a Mustang coupe just like me. But, I won't be spending any money on suspension upgrades necessary to control those extra 182 ponies.

Fast is fast, quick is quick, and they are not the same.

Happy holidays to you too.

By the same token, GT 500 owners won't be spending addional $ to get a car thats faster than an ordinary SUV.

You lost me on that one. The GT 500 and SGT both are already faster than an ordinary SUV.

I think that it would be a great magazine article to compare a factory equipped GT500 to a SAI equipped Whipple and/or Paxton Shelby GT/SC. All 3 would be comparably priced (mid $40Ks) and have around 500hp at the crank.

You lost me on that one. The GT 500 and SGT both are already faster than an ordinary SUV.

I think that it would be a great magazine article to compare a factory equipped GT500 to a SAI equipped Whipple and/or Paxton Shelby GT/SC. All 3 would be comparably priced (mid $40Ks) and have around 500hp at the crank.

i would like to that article, but dont care about the agruement that going on in this thread.

michael morris

Oh yeah! Well my SGT is better than your SuperSnake! :D

Hey MM, did you see this thread yet? http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?showtopic=3393

I keep waiting for you to chime in.

first time i saw the other thread. so i went ahead and left a post.

michael morris

PS

your SGT is way better than my SS. yours in built and in your driveway, mine is sitting alone in some big shop in LV

MM

michael morris

PS

your SGT is way better than my SS. yours in built and in your driveway, mine is sitting alone in some big shop in LV

MM

Take out all the drama seems like everone enjoys their own choices!!! Imo that what Mr shelby ment by life need more Happy holidays to all and enjoy those Shelbys!!!

michael morris

PS

MM

319hp in the hand is better than 725hp in the bush? Hang in there.. It's now your turn to experience PSDS. :)

Archived