TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SHELBY Lettering

boliger

I just got an 08' Shelby GT500. One of the first things I noticed while at the dealership was there is no SHELBY lettering on the truck lid. Dealership didn't have an answer for the missing lettering. Haven't seen any other Shelby like this. Does anyone have an answer.

I just got an 08' Shelby GT500. One of the first things I noticed while at the dealership was there is no SHELBY lettering on the truck lid. Dealership didn't have an answer for the missing lettering. Haven't seen any other Shelby like this. Does anyone have an answer.

it could be a "misbuild" or someone could have stolen the letters, but if the letters were stolen you would proably see where they were located. i thinking a misbuild, Ford just MISSED putting them on. Ford might put them on under warranty, but it might be a hard sale!

michael morris

Lucky you...now you can put them in the middle like they're supposed to go...lol

I want to remove mine to relocate them.

Brings up an interesting point, why did they relocate the SHELBY lettering from center to the Driver's side rear corner? Also, why SVT? It seems to be everywhere the word Shelby should be. The only thing I can offer doubters is the plate over the driver's side valve cover, stating Shelby GT500...but who drivers with the hood up and why go to that extreme anyway. The 2007 made no makes in properly identifying the Shelby, but the 2008 was just flooded with SVT logos and relocated Shelby as if the only approved Shelby was the 2007. Notice the KR has the Shelby lettering back in the center of the trunk lid? What's up with that.

Technically, there is no true Shelby built auto. Mustangs are shipped to Las Vegas from Ford, then partically stripped, modified, restenciled, and re-shipped out with a CSM no. for an additional fee. The VIN remains Ford Shelby regardless of where it was finished. I would have preferred the trunk lettering resemble the retro style car of the past regardless of where it was built. It just looks better. I had lunch with Mr. Shelby who kindly signed my GT 500 and he didn't appear to care if it was a recreation from his factory or Ford's, SVT line. However, I must say, he did give it a look over to ensure it was a true production care and not some clone, tribute etc... I'll settle for the hand script on the dash versus the trunk lid lettering anytime. When it's all said and done, it's what under the hood that counts.

Technically, there is no true Shelby built auto. Mustangs are shipped to Las Vegas from Ford, then partically stripped, modified, restenciled, and re-shipped out with a CSM no. for an additional fee. The VIN remains Ford Shelby regardless of where it was finished. I would have preferred the trunk lettering resemble the retro style car of the past regardless of where it was built. It just looks better. I had lunch with Mr. Shelby who kindly signed my GT 500 and he didn't appear to care if it was a recreation from his factory or Ford's, SVT line. However, I must say, he did give it a look over to ensure it was a true production care and not some clone, tribute etc... I'll settle for the hand script on the dash versus the trunk lid lettering anytime. When it's all said and done, it's what under the hood that counts.

As it usually comes to be on all automotive websites these days, we are down to "splitting hairs" and dicing up words posted in black and white text. Not a good medium to exchange sincere thoughts, do you agree?

IMHO...If the car in question is produced on a Ford assembly line and sent to a Ford dealership for retail sale, it's a Ford, period. There is nothiing wrong with this, not in any manner, or, fashion. Just respect it's origin and heritage for what it is. Shelby did not produce the GT 500.. Ford did.

However, if the car in question comes off a Ford production line and gets shipped directly to Shelby (SAI) in Nevada for additional modification/updating/restyling (whatever), it is indeed now a Shelby automobile, with a CSM serial number of its own to underwrite that.

I have this detail recorded in my scrapbook, shipping papers. My SGT went from Ford to Shelby, then to the dealership where I bought it. This will be important when someone asks my survivors "is this a genuine Shelby car"? Yes. It is, and they will be able to prove it.

Both vehicles will wear a federal Ford issued VIN. When any cop runs this VIN, it will come back as a Ford Mustang, nothing more. The reply may say it's black, and a two door coupe, but the Shelby heritage isn't recorded in LE databases. Title seraches may show more detail, but don't count on it.

Thus, despite your F2F visit with Carroll, Ford builds the GT 500, while Carroll builds SGTs in four trims and over two model years. But...Every one of them will have their own CSM number, and only selected editions will wear the name S H E L B Y on the trunk.

If any GT 500 doesn't spell S H E L B Y across the trunk, why should it? Mr. Shelby may have had a lot of influence in the GT 500 design and help in getting this car to market, but he never laid his hands on it in Nevada. Did he?

Didn't think so...

-30-

this is why most guys from this site didnt want to go to the other. everyone over there would bust on the SGT guys for not having a GT500 and now your busting on a guy with a GT500 for not having a SGT.

THEY ARE BOTH SHELBYS.....PERIOD. yes they are diffenrent and they are made at different places for different things, but they are ALL SHELBYS. please lets stop this before it becomes my JOHNSON is bigger than your JOHNSON.

thanks

michael morris

Godfather of the SGT Mafia

this is why most guys from this site didnt want to go to the other. everyone over there would bust on the SGT guys for not having a GT500 and now your busting on a guy with a GT500 for not having a SGT.

THEY ARE BOTH SHELBYS.....PERIOD. yes they are diffenrent and they are made at different places for different things, but they are ALL SHELBYS. please lets stop this before it becomes my JOHNSON is bigger than your JOHNSON.

thanks

michael morris

Michael, they are not both "Shelbys".

Some cars were "refined" in Nevada by SAI, some were not, and I do not believe we will ever get past this untill we agree on it. I respect with my whole heart that Carroll Shelby had a lot to do with GT 500 development on behalf of FMC, but he did not build the car. OTOH, an SGT is what it is, a Shelby build.

Last I have to say on it all.

Y'all be safe.

Michael, they are not both "Shelbys".

Some cars were "refined" in Nevada by SAI, some were not, and I do not believe we will ever get past this untill we agree on it. I respect with my whole heart that Carroll Shelby had a lot to do with GT 500 development on behalf of FMC, but he did not build the car. OTOH, an SGT is what it is, a Shelby build.

Last I have to say on it all.

Y'all be safe.

Without the "Shelby GT-500", there would be no SGT or SGT-H......remember that.

I'm sending my "Ford GT-500" to Shelby's plant so they can exchange the air in my tires. When i get it back, miraculously it'll be a "Shelby GT-500".

see this is what i was talking about. i have a GT500, its a shelby. im sending it to get a SS package. still a shelby. the GTH is a shelby, SGTs are shelbys. they are ALL shelbys. the last 2 post the are exactly what i said would happen. this is about to turn into a flaming war, because one was built at Ford and the other was built at for and has a shelby CONVERSION. im going to email Bud and have him watch this thread. i dont want this to turn into a 15 page free for all comparing why one SHELBY is not a SHELBY and why one is.

LuLu did you have a change of mine in 10 minutes? you said you understood and then you posted something totally different? this is the same thing that the SAAC does to the new shelbys. if it wasnt built before 69 its not a real shelby. i dont buy into class warfare. they are ALL shelbys. i have sold alot more SGTs than ill ever sell GT500s, so i favor the SGT its closer to my heart.

yall have a great weekend, but to me there is no debate if one is and one aint a shelby.

michael morris

Yall,I am having my SS done at a franchisee in Homestead, Fl........according to Amy it is identical to the SS package done in LV ...... so,it does not matter where it is built as long as it is built following the proper protocol.

A BMW built in Bama is a BMW no less than one built in Germany......same for MB and Toyota and others.

Now, I am partial to teh GT500 cause I have one!

LuisA

see this is what i was talking about. i have a GT500, its a shelby. im sending it to get a SS package. still a shelby. the GTH is a shelby, SGTs are shelbys. they are ALL shelbys. the last 2 post the are exactly what i said would happen. this is about to turn into a flaming war, because one was built at Ford and the other was built at for and has a shelby CONVERSION. im going to email Bud and have him watch this thread. i dont want this to turn into a 15 page free for all comparing why one SHELBY is not a SHELBY and why one is.

LuLu did you have a change of mine in 10 minutes? you said you understood and then you posted something totally different? this is the same thing that the SAAC does to the new shelbys. if it wasnt built before 69 its not a real shelby. i dont buy into class warfare. they are ALL shelbys. i have sold alot more SGTs than ill ever sell GT500s, so i favor the SGT its closer to my heart.

yall have a great weekend, but to me there is no debate if one is and one aint a shelby.

michael morris

Michael, I don't often do this anymore because in my past Internet experience, this has blown up in my face. Nonetheless (shrug)...312.401.1396

Maybe you can help me understand better, maybe I'll help you? Let's give it a try?

As it usually comes to be on all automotive websites these days, we are down to "splitting hairs" and dicing up words posted in black and white text. Not a good medium to exchange sincere thoughts, do you agree?

IMHO...If the car in question is produced on a Ford assembly line and sent to a Ford dealership for retail sale, it's a Ford, period. There is nothiing wrong with this, not in any manner, or, fashion. Just respect it's origin and heritage for what it is. Shelby did not produce the GT 500.. Ford did.

However, if the car in question comes off a Ford production line and gets shipped directly to Shelby (SAI) in Nevada for additional modification/updating/restyling (whatever), it is indeed now a Shelby automobile, with a CSM serial number of its own to underwrite that.

I have this detail recorded in my scrapbook, shipping papers. My SGT went from Ford to Shelby, then to the dealership where I bought it. This will be important when someone asks my survivors "is this a genuine Shelby car"? Yes. It is, and they will be able to prove it.

Both vehicles will wear a federal Ford issued VIN. When any cop runs this VIN, it will come back as a Ford Mustang, nothing more. The reply may say it's black, and a two door coupe, but the Shelby heritage isn't recorded in LE databases. Title seraches may show more detail, but don't count on it.

Thus, despite your F2F visit with Carroll, Ford builds the GT 500, while Carroll builds SGTs in four trims and over two model years. But...Every one of them will have their own CSM number, and only selected editions will wear the name S H E L B Y on the trunk.

If any GT 500 doesn't spell S H E L B Y across the trunk, why should it? Mr. Shelby may have had a lot of influence in the GT 500 design and help in getting this car to market, but he never laid his hands on it in Nevada. Did he?

Didn't think so...

-30-

Interesting....

Michael, I don't often do this anymore because in my past Internet experience, this has blown up in my face. Nonetheless (shrug)...312.401.1396

Maybe you can help me understand better, maybe I'll help you? Let's give it a try?

i have no problem giving you a call tomorrow. im sorry if you thought i was calling you out or something. i sure didnt mean to offend you or anyone on here. i understand your agruement, but its like the ADM debate. we can debate the ADM thing and the what is and aint a shelby, but i dont think anyone will change the others mind, but i would love to call you and we could talk about anything. heck im a car salesmen, i can talk about anything :lol:

when i posted the first time on this topic, it was not to start anything, but to stop it before it got out of hand. i know some guys will jump at the chance to blast a guy and stir the pot when someone makes a statement like you did.

michael morris

We're okay, Michael, no problems. Just thought it was time to chat live. Too much can be misunderstood in this one-dimensional medium. Left you messages on your cell and home TX, call back when you can.

Be safe.

We're okay, Michael, no problems. Just thought it was time to chat live. Too much can be misunderstood in this one-dimensional medium. Left you messages on your cell and home TX, call back when you can.

Be safe.

it was GREAT talking to ya. please let me know if i can help you out in anyway.

michael morris

Didn't think so...

-30-

I'M WITH LULU, ALSO, THAT POST ABOUT "WITHOUT A GT-500 THERE WOULDN'T BE A GT" IS LAUGHABLE. GT-H'S AND GT'S WERE CONCIEVED FIRST THEN 500'S CAME OUT THIRD.

SORRY IF MY THOUGHTS OFFEND ANYONE, BUT I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT FEELS A 500 IS NOT A TRUE SHELBY BUILT VEHICLE, BECAUSE IT JUST ISN'T. IT'S NAME IS JUST LISCENSED THROUGH SHELBY. OF COURSE, MR. SHELBY WILL SIGN THEM, HE GOT PAID.

SORRY MICHAEL, I LIKE THE 500, MAY EVEN GET ONE IN THE FUTURE.

thanks

michael morris

It's a good thing we're not talking Corvettes, because if we were Corvette owners everyboby's Johnson would be bigger than ours and it wouldn't matter who built the car. But you will have admitted having a tiny Johnson!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the men who are busting on the GT500 is because they just cannot afford one!!!!!

Shelby GT500 owner here. 1967 Shelby GT350 as well. My GT500 is a Mustang with the name "Shelby" stuck on it along with some neat snakes. That's 'cause Ford paid Shelby a licensing fee to use his name. Mr. Shelby owns a company named Shelby Automobiles. He has to pay rent, employee wages, insurance, etc. In short, Shelby Automobiles is a real, separate company from Ford. Like Saleen, or Steeda. Shelby modifies Mustangs to their specifications and they become Shelby's. Just like my '67. I cannot fathom why this concept is so difficult to understand. Is there a forum somewhere where people are arguing whether or not their Harley Davidson Edition F150 is a real Harley?

Nope...I am sure of it. In fact, I'd bank my 401K on it. Anyone here into "pinks"?"

IMO - sending a car from one garage to another to have some addional parts bolted/added on doesn't meet the definition of "building" a car. If thats the case each and everyone of us that puts on some after market parts on our SGT or GT500 is building a car. Therefore I have an OILMAN 500, the only one in existence. Just MO.

Archived