TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Which guage is reading wrong?

SGT3517

On my SGT it says distance till empty and gallons used. I reset gallons used on my last fill up. It says 14 miles till empty and 13.2 gallons used. Don't S197s have 16 gallon tanks?

Not unusual, most gas tanks are like this. May be a 16.0 gallon tank capacity, but you'll never fill it up. Baffles and fuel pumps take up space. In the few months I've owned my SGT, I have never added more than 14.0 gal. of fuel.

I always suspected cars were built with gas gauges that read incorrectly on purpose to keep us from running out of gas on the highway.

I try not to get under 50 miles till empty because I have been told the gasoline actually acts as a coolant for the fuel pumps in the tanks, I don't know if this is true or not but one of my friends that is a mustang guru states he believes this to be true.

I've never done a full fill up either.........

GG

Back in the old days :D we always said the tank was made with a 5 gallon reserve capacity that did not register so people still have enough gas to get to the station when on "E". I dunno if that's true or not.

My Titan has a 28 gallon tank (per the book) and from dead empty I can only get 22 gallons in the truck. I can't remember on the Shelby....

Archived