TEAM SHELBY FORUM

S197 Boss Wish List

MustangFanatic

The Boss must evoke the theme of the original Boss 302 and the earlier K-code 289 Mustangs, a true "Pony Car", not just a straight line bruiser. The original Boss 302 could perform with the best of domestic and foreign iron on the road courses of America and the latest iteration should uphold that legacy. Here are some of the items to include:

Driveline:

• 5.0L 4V N/A "Cammer" Engine - 1st Choice
  • 5.4L 4V N/A Engine, All Aluminum - 2nd Choice
  • 5.4L 4V N/A Engine, Iron Block, Aluminum Heads - 3rd Choice
  • 6 spd Transmission
  • Torsen Differential
  • Optional: Rear Gear Ratios: 3.55 or 3.73

Suspension:

• 1" Lower Suspension with Higher Rate Springs and Larger Anti-roll Bars
  • IRS
  • 14" Front Brakes with 4 piston Calipers (from the GT500)
  • Subframe Connectors
  • Optional: Roll Bar

Exterior:

• GT500 Front Fascia with Deeper Air Dam
  • Adjustable Rear Spoiler
  • Standard 18" "Magnum-style" Wheels
  • Shaker Hood
  • Mirrors Painted Body Color
  • Optional: Boss Stripe Package
  • Optional: Grabber Colors
  • Optional: Rear Louvers
  • Optional: 19" Wheels
  • Potential: '69 - '70 Rear Quarter Windows similar to FUD Concept

Interior:

• Standard V6 Cloth Interior
  • Lightweight Cloth Sport Seats
  • Standard Convenience Features: PW, PL, Tilt Wheel, AM/FM Stereo CD, AC, Rear Defrost
  • Optional Convenience Features: Cruise Control, "Shaker" Stereo, Power Seats
  • Optional: Rear Seat Delete

Competition Prep Package:

• Rear Seat Delete
  • A/C Delete
  • Stereo Delete
  • Tilt Wheel Delete
  • Rear Defrost Delete
  • Console Delete
  • Carpet Delete
  • Race Seats

General:

• Curb Weight: < 3,400 lbs
  • HP Target: 400 minimum

The post has been edited to include all suggestions :D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We dont need tons of power, but a few more would help. A 4 valve engine would be cool.

-Six Speed

-Engine has to rev. I need 7000 at least. My 1969 Boss revs out to 7500 stock

-Lowered Suspension

-Needs to have a good stripe kit

-good brakes 4 pot calipers would be cool

-limited slip

-get rid of all the "doo-dads" in the interior, no center console, just gauges, the cheap radio, good aftermarket seats, chrome stick sticking out of the floor for the shifter.

-Wide tires

-more heavily weighted steering.

-no backseat

-black hood and decklid.

-make it louder

I just want it to look meaner sound cooler and be more fun to drive. but i want one to make a little boss collection.

First of all - NO electronic gas pedal. On a road course they do not respond fast enough and giving it a tap doing heel/toe is far from ideal.

I'd like to see either the 5.4 NA or the new 5.0 NA.

6 speed manual with IRS for road courses and at least a 3.73 rear end to keep the RPM's up while in the twisties.

BUT, I also want all the comforts like power windows, AC, great stereo and a quiet interior.

According to the rumors, there is going to be a Mach 1 AND a Boss. Happy days are here again!!! :D

I would love to see the Mach 1 with the 5.4 NA, solid rear axle and 6 speed, 350+ hp, while the Boss steps it up a notch, with a 5.0 DOHC NA "Cammer" engine, 6 speed, IRS and 400+ hp. Both cars should be lowered and have the option of the shaker hood and a "Drag Pak" with 3.73 gears and better suspension. Big brakes should be standard, and color availabilty should definitely include Calypso Coral! Valencia is too wimpy looking, IMHO, give me the brightest orange! Competition Orange would be okay, too.

These models will both fit nicely into the pricing structure with the Mach 1 at $30k and the Boss at $35k. This leaves the GT 500 as top dog at $40k and with the highest hp rating, and the $35k for the Boss allows the extra $$ needed for further development of the 5.0 DOHC. If that motor just isn't in the cards, I'd hope for a 5.4 DOHC. The Boss needs to be close to 400 hp.

With a wonderful selection to choose from like this, dealer gouging will decrease (somewhat), customer satisfaction will go through the roof, and I'll happily choose the model with the most power that I can get for around $35k. Please Ford, pull through for us on this! I'd hate to defect to the Chrysler Group, but I've got to admit that the new Challenger concept is right on the money, and if the bang-for-the-buck factor kicks in I would seriously consider it. I own 4 Fords now and would like to keep it that way.

I'd love to see a 5.4 aluminum block boss but it probably won't happen due to cost. The 5.4 aluminum block available is the Ford GT block and it is ~$2500 alone.

What I would love to see is the following:

Boss281 --DOHC 4.6 with VCT (350-375hp)

69 Boss 302 exterior scheme

Lowered ~1" all around

Shaker scoop

6-speed tranny

upgraded brakes and rear suspension components (road race/autocross inspired)

18" magnum 500 style wheels

Boss330 -- 5.4 3v or 4v with VCT (410hp-~430hp)

same upgrades as Boss281

Optional rear seat delete

Optional drag pack suspension and rear end gearing

BossTBA -- THis will be the King of the Mustang line up (Shelby Mustang being considered an offshoot for a higher scale buyer wanting more "plush" amenities to go with their ~485 hp)

DOHC v10 developed from the v10 concepts in the Cobra concept and GR1 550-650 hp

Extreme weigh reductions (~3200lbs with all fluids)

Rear seat delete standard

premium upgraded suspension and brake components (maybe switching to a 4 link)

Boss 429 inpspired styling

radio delete option

Full race seats with 5 point harness

Full sub frame connectors

Road race and drag pack options

I posted this in another section, but will add here too:

This is great news. I have been a Boss 302 owner for many years now. I have a '70 Boss 302 Special paint car. Light Gray Metallic. Simply a Beautiful car.

Anyway, I hope Ford comes out with a new Boss 302. As a vintage owner, they need to be cautious of how it it will look like and perform. Also, would be good to have it raced in a series which ads to the historical significance. The Cammer car is a great start , I would reccomend it as a design start. The graphics are almost right on on from the Cammer car for the new Boss.

As for features and options I would like to see:

Needs to be a very high revving engine. The Cammer 5.0 I believe will do the trick

5 speed or 6 speed only, no automatics

Colors as available in '70: Grabber, and standards (please also include Silver! With black stripes, cant beat the look)

Sport slats and rear spoiler availablity

Fold down rear seat

Updated Magnum style wheels

Special road racing suspension. Lower 1-2 in. than the standard Mustang.

Lots of unigue parts like the SVO, SVT, etc's of the past.

I will place an order for one the minute it is available. Thanks to Ford. I certainly hope this comes to fruition!

-Dave

*** If Ford designers are listening, please come over and ask the folks on the Boss302.com web site for input. Many great people there who are avid Boss enthusiasts and owners willing to give good input. Go to the General forum section. Also, feel free to contact me directly if desired. I would be glad to offer my help.

I posted this in another section, but will add here too:

This is great news. I have been a Boss 302 owner for many years now. I have a '70 Boss 302 Special paint car. Light Gray Metallic. Simply a Beautiful car.

Anyway, I hope Ford comes out with a new Boss 302. As a vintage owner, they need to be cautious of how it it will look like and perform. Also, would be good to have it raced in a series which ads to the historical significance. The Cammer car is a great start , I would reccomend it as a design start. The graphics are almost right on on from the Cammer car for the new Boss.

As for features and options I would like to see:

Needs to be a very high revving engine. The Cammer 5.0 I believe will do the trick

5 speed or 6 speed only, no automatics

Colors as available in '70: Grabber, and standards (please also include Silver! With black stripes, cant beat the look)

Sport slats and rear spoiler availablity

Fold down rear seat

Updated Magnum style wheels

Special road racing suspension. Lower 1-2 in. than the standard Mustang.

Lots of unigue parts like the SVO, SVT, etc's of the past.

I will place an order for one the minute it is available. Thanks to Ford. I certainly hope this comes to fruition!

-Dave

*** If Ford designers are listening, please come over and ask the folks on the Boss302.com web site for input. Many great people there who are avid Boss enthusiasts and owners willing to give good input. Go to the General forum section. Also, feel free to contact me directly if desired. I would be glad to offer my help.

completely agreed as well being a boss owner

although mine is luckily enough a 1969

I will also add my vote for the 5.0L Cammer as the ideal Boss engine but barring that, an all-aluminum 5.4L 4V engine. I don't think the 5.4L would fit the persona of the Boss as well since I don't think it would rev past 6,500 and in my mind a real Boss should redline over 7,000.

While the car must have a stripe package to be a true Boss, I would think there should also be a stripe delete option for those who prefer a more understated appearance. The Boss should come standard with the following "standard" convenience options:

1. Power Windows and Locks
  2. Tilt Wheel
  3. AM/FM Stereo CD with Satellite Capability
  4. Air Conditioning
  5. Rear Defroster

Convenience options that could be optional:

1. Cruise Control
  2. "Shaker" Stereo
  3. Power Seats

I'd like to see Ford bring back something that SVO used during the '80's, a Competition Prep option offering the following:

1. A/C Delete
  2. Stereo Delete
  3. Rear Seat Delete
  4. Optional Spoiler Delete
  5. Lightweight Sport Seats
  6. Sound deadener removal
  7. And any other options that would remove weight

Of course there was a small block and a big block Boss during 1969-1970.

But, just like Ford passed on the GT350 for the GT500, I think they will do the same thing for the next generation Boss. I think it will use the 5.4L (329) for the engine, but lean toward the Boss 302 for the other characteristics, like handling.

I can't see a 4.6L (281) Boss. Romeo has been reporting an easy 450 horsepower from experimental engines, but that comes at a price - stress = warranty. Aside from that, Ford is not going to bring a knife (4.6L) to a gun party with the 5.7L and 6.1L Hemi Challangers coming out. . .plus the 'Vette powered Camaro.

A REAL longshot would be the 5.0L DOHC. But like I said earlier, this would be too costly for Ford to really justify when the 5.4L is ready to go. I don't think Ford's current financial position will allow the 5.0L DOHC at this time.

My bet is on the Boss 329.

I think Robert is right. That cammer is not emmissions ready, and that's costly. 5.4 makes sense. I would really like to see a car close to this but with the 60's style rear-wing, no sidepipes, keep it as light as possible, Shelby lights not required. 400+ HP, 7k+ rpms, lowered 1-1 1/2", quick-ratio steering, lightweight wheels. Oh, yeah, keep the rear 1/4 window stock, stock gas cap, with '69 Boss 302 Graphics.

post-140-1135023234_thumb.jpg

post-140-1135023234_thumb.jpg

Actually I like the GTR nose a lot but since they are using it on the Shelby I don't think they will use it on the BOSS.

All though if you use the GTR nose and do something different with the fog's that might work.

I personally think Ford will ditch the large fogs on the GT in the next couple of years anyway!

Would there be any objections to build the Boss off of a non-GT body. . .like the V6? I mean, just use the V6 body and toss a 5.4L in it. Just real simple. Or would that not be enough for most people?

Assuming that some structural upgrades would have to go in, as well as the driveline, I would be all over that. If a persons gonna go of the deep end and get serious about it, wait would that not be the missing "R"? :P

Would there be any objections to build the Boss off of a non-GT body. . .like the V6? I mean, just use the V6 body and toss a 5.4L in it. Just real simple. Or would that not be enough for most people?

I agree with the "simpler is better" approach but I would prefer the following: Use the V6 car's interior with a set of sport seats, cloth only, no leather. For the exterior, use the GT500 nose, a "Shaker" hood, a Boss specific rear wing and GT-R tail lights. The Boss should have a distinctive exterior signature to set it apart from either the GT or the V6 car and be reminiscent of the original.

What does everyone think of that approach? It would also keep development costs down since most parts already exist

I agree with the "simpler is better" approach but I would prefer the following: Use the V6 car's interior with a set of sport seats, cloth only, no leather. For the exterior, use the GT500 nose, a "Shaker" hood, a Boss specific rear wing and GT-R tail lights. The Boss should have a distinctive exterior signature to set it apart from either the GT or the V6 car and be reminiscent of the original.

What does everyone think of that approach? It would also keep development costs down since most parts already exist

I like that! But I would add the GTR headlights. I would even go without the GTR taillights (sorry, I still think those belong on the '500). That would make it distinctive enough without adding weight & cost. I actually like cloth seats--for breathability & grip. Am I the only one left who does???

I like that! But I would add the GTR headlights. I would even go without the GTR taillights (sorry, I still think those belong on the '500). That would make it distinctive enough without adding weight & cost. I actually like cloth seats--for breathability & grip. Am I the only one left who does???

I'd actually prefer the current GT500 headlight and tail light treatment over the GT-R set-up for the Boss. Enhance the GT500 with GT-R headlight and tail lights as a 2nd year enhancement. I also prefer cloth seats over leather any day but especially in this application, so there at least two of us Crispy. One other thing I was considering was replacing the fog lights in the GT500 nose with air ducts for the front brakes using the same openings so no retooling is necessary. Thoughts?

I like the duct Idea. I don't know if Ford would (there are always problems with water getting into those things, and not back out), but I do. I was thinking GTR headlight treatment to differentiate it from the '500, but I do like the '500s nose already, so I guess I wouldn't mind. So long as you could see the difference between the Special Editions...

Too bad they couldn't easily reduce the unsprung weight in the front (ie: lighter suspension componants). I know someone already makes an aftermarket set-up for the Mustang GT that shaves 150 lbs (that's what they claim!) off of it. I cannot remember who does this, but I will most likely invest in this when I get the GT500 (if it is proven). 150# is alot of weight!

Archived