TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Warning for SAI Superchargers in cold weather

clawsonbob

Check your SAI/Paxton Owners manual/Installation book.....because of close machining tolerences, according to my manual, car is NOT TO BE STARTED at 25 degrees F or below...damage may result/warranty voided.

For those of you in warm climates, I am extremely jealous as I reside in the Climatic-sh_t-hole of the universe...Chit-Cago

bob in Illinoyed

For those of you in warm climates, I am extremely jealous as I reside in the Climatic-sh_t-hole of the universe...Chit-Cago

bob in Illinoyed

Hey Bob,

Don't sugar coat it, how do you realy feel about the weather in your neighborhood? Jim

I was planning on a paxton also! :o

Believe me.......if you ever drove a 500 +/- hp car , with performance tires ( or any type for that matter) on roads with temperatures approaching 40/30 degrees, there is so much wheelspin, you won't be driving anyway. You won't see many/any stock ZO6 vettes out in the cold either ( traction, not sc issues)

This is a caution message for sc owners, not a pro/con for any type of sc unit . Most SCs ( except low boost factory level settings) are going to require tight tolerences to get the boost/performance levels. I don't know what the whipple/KB folks say, but unless they engineered their units different, I wouldn't let this sway you one way or the other ( other than don''t drive a 500 hp car like this on really cold pavement....issues will be a lot bigger than your SC warranty)

Okay...I've been driving centrifugal supercharged cars for more than a few years, and I live in Chicago where the better part of winter is below 25F. I have never had a problem, and I have never heard of such a caution like this before. But hey, don't take my word for it either. I'm always ready to be wrong.

So...I called Paxton at 888-9-PAXTON and spoke with Jamie in Tech Support. He chuckled, but he suggested that if the Paxton blower is going to used in cold climates (cold being zero or below) install a block heater. His reasoning is not a matter of close tolerances, rather, thick engine oil moving slowly to lubricate blower bearings. Over time, I imagine this could have a negative impact on blower bearings, and I find Jamie's advice agreeable. Any bearing anywhere that doesn't get proper lubrication is going to wear out sooner.

However, to imagine that you cannot take any supercharged car for a drive on a clear sunny day just because it's 25F or colder, is just plain silly. Apply some reason here, there are too many factory supercharged and turbocharged cars on the street that get driven everyday in extreme weather all over the world. Think about it.

Okay...I've been driving centrifugal supercharged cars for more than a few years, and I live in Chicago where the better part of winter is below 25F. I have never had a problem, and I have never heard of such a caution like this before. But hey, don't take my word for it either. I'm always ready to be wrong.

So...I called Paxton at 888-9-PAXTON and spoke with Jamie in Tech Support. He chuckled, but he suggested that if the Paxton blower is going to used in cold climates (cold being zero or below) install a block heater. His reasoning is not a matter of close tolerances, rather, thick engine oil moving slowly to lubricate blower bearings. Over time, I imagine this could have a negative impact on blower bearings, and I find Jamie's advice agreeable. Any bearing anywhere that doesn't get proper lubrication is going to wear out sooner.

However, to imagine that you cannot take any supercharged car for a drive on a clear sunny day just because it's 25F or colder, is just plain silly. Apply some reason here, there are too many factory supercharged and turbocharged cars on the street that get driven everyday in extreme weather all over the world. Think about it.

LuLu

I hear ya, but what I said was "Check your SAI/Paxton Owners manual/Installation book"

thats what mine says...I can scan it in tonight if anyome wants to see it.......bob

LuLu

I hear ya, but what I said was "Check your SAI/Paxton Owners manual/Installation book"

thats what mine says...I can scan it in tonight if anyome wants to see it.......bob

Forgive me, Bob, I apologize. I wasn't doubting you at all. In fact, I believed you at the first read, in a "WTF is this all about" way.

I am not an automotive engineer, and I don't know everything. However, in my limited experience as a consumer, this caution is way extreme and results in unnecessary alarm. The technology inside any supercharger is no more sophisicated than what's inside any engine or tranny.

I'd love to hear SAI's foundation for this caution.

Forgive me, Bob, I apologize. I wasn't doubting you at all. In fact, I believed you at the first read, in a "WTF is this all about" way.

I am not an automotive engineer, and I don't know everything. However, in my limited experience as a consumer, this caution is way extreme and results in unnecessary alarm. The technology inside any supercharger is no more sophisicated than what's inside any engine or tranny.

LuLu..no need toapolagise..no offense taken.......I had just noticed what my SAI/Paxton Manual said and wanted everyone else to know it.......some times in companies ( paxton, sai etc) engineering, sales and legal don't agree either, but whats in the book ususlly ends up being the deciding factor in any kinda waranty dispute. Do i believe it ( not really & don't want to). will I follow it...probably but since I have heated garages it doesn't really concern me too much. But it might for somebody/someday

Check your SAI/Paxton Owners manual/Installation book.....because of close machining tolerences, according to my manual, car is NOT TO BE STARTED at 25 degrees F or below...damage may result/warranty voided.

bob in Illinoyed

I'll be in the "new" 7 Wonders of the World in a short time and be thinking of you Chit-cagoans (you said it I just followed the slogan). Just getting some much deserved Carribean sunshine looking at Palm Trees and swiming in 80++ degree water, traveling to tropical jungles and canoping through the tree tops. Had to do it!~ B)

I'll be in the "new" 7 Wonders of the World in a short time and be thinking of you Chit-cagoans (you said it I just followed the slogan). Just getting some much deserved Carribean sunshine looking at Palm Trees and swiming in 80++ degree water, traveling to tropical jungles and canoping through the tree tops. Had to do it!~ B)

Swede...youre killin me

arrrgg....17 degress this am, 3 deg with wind chill. send me a picture at least to help me trudge thru the next few months

I'm in Florida (it was 86 today), my only concern is, does the Paxton impede the A/C compressor in any way?

why yes it does...but come on up here to IL and I can fix it for free !!! :lol:

Swede, you goin' to Chichen-Itza?

My vehicle will be vacationing in Phoenix AZ for the winter. But as far as supplying oil to the different bearings you might wish to consider the oil with the lowest temperature flow rating. The synthetic Amsoil 0W-30 flows at -58 degrees. Something to consider. I realize it wont be that cold in the windy city but it is a good comfort factor to know the oil starts to pump immediately. It also has a very, very high flash point for those hot , 115-120 degree days in Phoenix in the summer.

My vehicle will be vacationing in Phoenix AZ for the winter. But as far as supplying oil to the different bearings you might wish to consider the oil with the lowest temperature flow rating. The synthetic Amsoil 0W-30 flows at -58 degrees. Something to consider. I realize it wont be that cold in the windy city but it is a good comfort factor to know the oil starts to pump immediately. It also has a very, very high flash point for those hot , 115-120 degree days in Phoenix in the summer.

You have converted me to a Amsoil customer :D

Hey Guys Just a thought but if you wanted to run the engine up to temp once a month couldn't you pop the supercharger belt off & let it warm up to temp? On another note I feel sorry for you Bob living down there in Chitcago, up here over the border in WI. it was sunny & 55 deg. at 6:30 am :lol::lol::lol: And I've got a couple acres up here I want to sell cheap. Let me know if your interested, it's zoned agriculteral so you could put up a nice house & large heated pole building :D

Hey Guys Just a thought but if you wanted to run the engine up to temp once a month couldn't you pop the supercharger belt off & let it warm up to temp? On another note I feel sorry for you Bob living down there in Chitcago, up here over the border in WI. it was sunny & 55 deg. at 6:30 am :lol::lol::lol: And I've got a couple acres up here I want to sell cheap. Let me know if your interested, it's zoned agriculteral so you could put up a nice house & large heated pole building :D

can't do..one belt runs all.

was it really that warm up there this am? i swear, after 11 years I will never get use ti the temp swings and how the westerly weather patterns skirt over, under, thur or not atall around the great lakes.

pm or call me on the land...i am actullly considering some recreational real estate for dirt bikin, shootin (self in head when it hits zero) ). my contact info sent

regards

bob

Before everyone thinks I am bragging about AZ, well, my SGT is vacationing in AZ. I am in Cincinnati OH for the next 6 years. Cincinnati has great weather. It rarely goes below -25 in the winter and usually not over 100+ in the summer. Same for the humidity in the summer months.

I didn't want my SGT anywhere near here. With road salt this is the epitome of the rust belt!

Before everyone thinks I am bragging about AZ, well, my SGT is vacationing in AZ. I am in Cincinnati OH for the next 6 years. Cincinnati has great weather. It rarely goes below -25 in the winter and usually not over 100+ in the summer. Same for the humidity in the summer months.

I didn't want my SGT anywhere near here. With road salt this is the epitome of the rust belt!

07SGt...yes..thanks for reminding of the range of temperatures we enjoy here in the mis-west. I have really learned to relish the 125-150 degree tempertature swings we get to expierence here. Why, one month its a refreshing -45 below zero, then a month or two later a balmy 100+. Where else ( but so cal) can one enjoy such variety ?

( I am scoping a house tomorrow off happy vally rd in north phoenix myself actually)

batten dowm the hatches, tie up the patio furniture and wrap yer skarf round your noggin...here comes Frosty !!

07SGt...yes..thanks for reminding of the range of temperatures we enjoy here in the mis-west. I have really learned to relish the 125-150 degree tempertature swings we get to expierence here. Why, one month its a refreshing -45 below zero, then a month or two later a balmy 100+. Where else ( but so cal) can one enjoy such variety ?

( I am scoping a house tomorrow off happy vally rd in north phoenix myself actually)

batten dowm the hatches, tie up the patio furniture and wrap yer skarf round your noggin...here comes Frosty !!

:D :D :D

From one of us who lives in the deep freeze north of Chicago, two words-------traveller's diarrhea :P No J/k have a great trip-I'm planning a reprieve from the cold myself, leaving for Orlando next Fri pm.

Believe me.......if you ever drove a 500 +/- hp car , with performance tires ( or any type for that matter) on roads with temperatures approaching 40/30 degrees, there is so much wheelspin, you won't be driving anyway. You won't see many/any stock ZO6 vettes out in the cold either ( traction, not sc issues)

This is a caution message for sc owners, not a pro/con for any type of sc unit . Most SCs ( except low boost factory level settings) are going to require tight tolerences to get the boost/performance levels. I don't know what the whipple/KB folks say, but unless they engineered their units different, I wouldn't let this sway you one way or the other ( other than don''t drive a 500 hp car like this on really cold pavement....issues will be a lot bigger than your SC warranty)

That was my first inclination when I first read your topic, in fact It's colder than snot here in Seattle and as I used to commute to work on various motorcycles, and watch many guys drop em coming off the ferry I can tell you cold makes for horrible traction. In this town hundreds and hundreds of bikes commute by ferry daily as you can skip the hour minimum ferry line and go to the front on two wheels. It gets comedic at times, those that can ride and those who forget about the cold pavement crash. Same with hot rods. My wifes Chevelle had a near 400hp sm block and 15x10 rear wheels with BFG's and cold was not kind niether was the rain, I now love TCS. Now that I am no longer commuting by ferry I drive the SGT to work but have a 4x4 for the super cold days. In fact you need to warm up the manual gearboxes as well, in my opinion every time. Temps deserve respect. Especially in turns.

Superchargers are simple inside compared to a engine. I'm with you go block heater, I have a 4 turbochrged diesels in my life by 3 different manufactures they all say get a block heater when the air gets really cold. My s/c car is in pieces so I don't know how it will deal with cold, but did not see anything in the weiand instructions/manual at all about cold weather and that is a roots type charger. If the sgt gets a s/c (am starting to really dig it the way it is and I have a one year no modify rule on new to me vehicles) I will go Paxton, period just my two cents.

This reminds me of one of the dumbest things I ever watched someone do at a race track.

In the early morning hours of what came to be a 100 degree day, dude makes three back-to-back passes and returns to his pit. Right away, he's eager to cool everything down (a 4.6L-4V with a Vortech S Trim and a 100 pound shot), so, he pops the hood and starts throwing ice packs on all the stuff he thinks are important to lower IATs before his next pass.

1 bag of ice laid over the water-to-air reservoir (good idea). Another on the water-to-air heat exchanger (again, good idea), and then he throws a bag on the blower itself (ummm...)

I step over and ask him if he's sure he wants to do that, and he is. Thus, he cools the turbine case, while the impeller is still very hot. High school general science 101 says this isn't a good idea, but 10 minutes later, he heads back to staging.

Anyone think it's possible that he made it through the water box?

Archived