TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I Autocrossed Yesterday

ShelbyPilot

I tried something new yesterday. I took Precious out to California Speedway in Fontana to an autocross event. It was hosted by the LA region of SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) and sanctioned as such.

I had an awesome time. I had a handful of people who seemed happy to help a novice. I watched a lot of other fast cars and drivers. Also some not so fast cars and drivers but everybody was having fun. My run group was the last of the day.

When my time came I first had an instructor drive while I sat in the passenger seat. He was very clean and conservative but showed me the line. It's amazing how much you can say in 60 seconds. I then drove my three timed runs with the instructor sitting beside me offering advice. WHAT A BLAST!

Most of the day 60 seconds flat seemed to be the median mark. My first run was 70 flat. :( I improved 6 seconds to 63.843 on my second run. :huh: On my third run I got really sideways in a corner, sliding to a stop and fell to 65 something. :angry: My second run would have actually been good enough for 5th in class but I had classed myself as a novice.

After the competition runs were over the course was opened up to fun runs for $1 a run. After 8 more runs I hit 60.7. Almost there but out of time.

I highly recommend giving autocross a try. I had been waiting all summer to do this and I wasn't disappointed. You can find local events by starting on the SCCA web page and looking for your region. I had several people come to me and tell me how well the Shelby GT does in the FS class (basically stock muscle cars). However, my Shelby GT/SC didn't qualify. I actually had one person tell me too bad because the Shelby GTs are very competitive in the FS class. The event yesterday cost $25 with a SCCA membership or a points card from the local region. Plus $1 per fun run. Otherwise I think it was $40.

The next event at California Speedway is Dec 8th and 9th. Practice on Saturday and championship on Sunday. I will be there Sunday. If anybody is interested look for me in the pit area. There is no spectator fee. If you are going to run let me know and in what class and I'll make sure I am there too. One of the best things is you don't have to spend the whole day at the track. You can do your course work and run about a four hour period.

I have a few links below. SCCA:

http://www.scca.com/home.aspx

LA Region:

http://www.solo2.com/

A you tube video from yesterday, not me:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8ehuYgvBLpM

Me and Precious on a fun run:

AX2.jpg

Glad you had a good time. I definitely want to go next time but I'm not available that weekend. We'll get together and go to another event. Car looks great doing what it's supposed to! It's like me doing my track days on the motorcycle. Anyone can go fast in a straight line, corners are where the real fun is!

The car performs much better then the driver. :P

Seriously, it handled very flat and transitioned well when I wasn't applying to much throttle. To me she did push a little bit getting into the corners. I will be getting under the car and adjusting the front sway bar before Dec. This just gives me a real reason to do the adjustment.

Getting out of the corner was more driver error then car. I really need to work on squezzing the throttle and not causing the rear end to slide out. This may not be a problem with the normally aspirated Shelby GTs. In the last few fun runs I was actually getting better at using the throttle to make the rear go where I wanted it to.

The most telling was the instructor. In the grid area he said several times he wasn't going to go too hard as he thought the car would push badly and wasn't allowed to hit any more cones that day. About half way through the run he said wow, this car really handles well and drove a little harder through the second half of the course. Again at the end saying how surprised he was with the handling.

I do think I need to talk my wife in to some 18" racing wheels and barely DOT legal racing tires. Also, maybe the bra Pagerart had test fitted. :P

Glad you had a good time. I definitely want to go next time but I'm not available that weekend. We'll get together and go to another event.

The LA and San Diego regions have events just about every month. I will be at all the LA events and maybe San Diego events when they don't conflict.

I probably shouldnt try though, Im thinking scrubbing all that orange rubber off the front bumber after the race wouldnt be much fun. ;)

Only if you hit them. I actually had one, it just rubbed right off. Some guys were using the blue painter's tape for protection and one guy had a bra.

My wife showed me how to hack the pictures:

AX3.jpg

AX4.jpg

AX5.jpg

AX7.jpg

AX8.jpg

Congratulations for not letting your car become a garage queen....

I've been autocrossing my Evo for about three years now. If I hadn't been talked into it, I'd still be a frustrated wannabe racer. It's a good way to get that out of your system without killing your car or risking life and limb.

For what its worth, SGT's dominated F Stock at SCCA Solo nationals this year. All but one trophy went to SGT drivers. F Stock allows DOT slicks (30 treadwear Hoosier A6 or Kumho V710), cat back exhaust, and some limited suspension mods.

Don't worry about cone rash, it's usually black and it will give your car character. If you run clean, you'll have no worries, right? :lol:

Now, everyone cross their fingers for me as I talk my wife out of a Volvo wagon in favor of an auto SGT 'vert...

Autocrossing is the best fun you can have with your clothes on.I High speed Xcross.Ive hit 110mph on the back straight in my GT/CS.The worst part on the car was the stock brakes.Going fast is easy its stopping thats hard.

BHFschool.jpg

autocross5-28-07front-2.jpg

autocross5-28-07sideshot.jpg

Have fun and keep the shiny side up. :D

Car looks great Chris. Looks like a great time. Can't wait till spring. Any feedback on the Fays2 watts link?

As far as I can tell it did its job. The rear end stayed flat and never didn't anything unexpected except for when I applied too much throttle. Even then it was a very flat going sideways.

The weak links now are the tires and the driver.

Autocrossing is the best fun you can have with your clothes on.I High speed Xcross.Ive hit 110mph on the back straight in my GT/CS.The worst part on the car was the stock brakes.Going fast is easy its stopping thats hard.

I wish I was closer to race tracks that do open days or time attack. The closest to me is probably about two and half hours. California Speedway has open track days very few and fa between.

As far as I can tell it did its job. The rear end stayed flat and never didn't anything unexpected except for when I applied too much throttle. Even then it was a very flat going sideways.

The weak links now are the tires and the driver.

I wish I was closer to race tracks that do open days or time attack. The closest to me is probably about two and half hours. California Speedway has open track days very few and fa between.

It looks to me like camber adjustment can be very beneficial in getting the front end to totally hook up.

Chris, that's awesome. Congrats. Looks like a lot of fun. I will sign up and look forward to doing some racing myself.

For those looking to join the SCCA, there is a place where you can become a member and list who referred you. I will put Chris' name. Chris, I know your last name but don't want to give it out so if you wish, give your last name so they can join and list you as the referral so you can get next year's membership for free.

I think you may be right Chris on another set for the Track. 18's that is.

...yeah but I am not allowed to spend anymore money. Maybe I can find a wheel and tire sponsor.

It looks to me like camber adjustment can be very beneficial in getting the front end to totally hook up.

....I just had it on an alignment rack last week. I am already at -1.5 on the front. But again, I am not allowed to spend anymore money and a camber kit would require money. Maybe I'll use 2008 to improve my skill and then I will be able to spend money to improve the car.

Chris, that's awesome. Congrats. Looks like a lot of fun. I will sign up and look forward to doing some racing myself.

For those looking to join the SCCA, there is a place where you can become a member and list who referred you. I will put Chris' name. Chris, I know your last name but don't want to give it out so if you wish, give your last name so they can join and list you as the referral so you can get next year's membership for free.

Thank You.

...yeah but I am not allowed to spend anymore money. Maybe I can find a wheel and tire sponsor.

....I just had it on an alignment rack last week. I am already at -1.5 on the front. But again, I am not allowed to spend anymore money and a camber kit would require money. Maybe I'll use 2008 to improve my skill and then I will be able to spend money to improve the car.

Thank You.

From what I've read -1.5 is a very agressive street setup. They go to -3 for autocross but I don't think you want that on the road.

I'm glad to see others enjoying the ShelbyGT the way it was intended. I now have 9,000 miles on my #358 and have four open track events at Willow Springs, Cailfornia. I used up a set of brakes, and I mean REALLY used up the brakes, there was nothing left in the front. I had to put a set of tires on my Shelby after the third event.

I purposely left my Shelby stock except for my Watts Link Control on the rear. I have used my Shelby as a test mule to demonstrate how well the Watts Link Control works without any additional modifications.

I have allowed a lot of people drive and/or ride in the car at speed (including Shelby Las Vegas) to see what the potential of the Shelby is at the limit. There will soon be a magazine article out with a test ride.

This Watts Link Control is now being offered for sale in the Southern California area and soon via the internet.

The Watts Link Control eliminates the rear end movement that causes the rear end to sudenly break loose upon exiting corners and allows you to get back on the gas sooner without losing traction. It also eliminates wheel hop under straight line aceleration. The pan hard rod helps alot, but only in one direction.

People who watched my Shelby run at Willow were amazed at how fast the Shelby was with being (mostly) stock, with only 320 H.P. The best part is chasing down the kit Cobras and race Mustangs and passing them on the exits of the corners because of the increased exit speed.

The BOLT IN (no welding) Watts Link Control will be selling for about $950.00 with installation at a Southern California shop for about $200.00. This is a modification that enhances the street drivability and a must for the track.

Richardsonr: Is there a link for the Watts Link Control somewhere to check it out? So far I've just cheaped it out with Steeda adjustable panhard rod to center the rear axle (from the SAI/FRPP lowering) and LCA/UCA with polyurethane to take the squish out. The right Watts Link is still on my short list for 08 upgrades.

SoCal: One trick we do in road racing is add a slight amount of toe *out* 1-3/32nds on the front end. Helps with turn in for corners. I'm not an AutoX-er so don't now if that could help your AutoX set up at lower speeds or not. Going to SCCA events in So Cal, I'd definitely track down the folks who run SGTs in F-Stock. They'd definitely be able to tell you what the hot alignment set up is.

You'll find one of the nice things about SCCA racing or AutoX is that most folks will be really helpful, even the hotshoes...until you get within about 1/2 to 1 second of their time, then you have to learn on your own :)

Todd

CSM1638

SoCal: One trick we do in road racing is add a slight amount of toe *out* 1-3/32nds on the front end. Helps with turn in for corners. I'm not an AutoX-er so don't now if that could help your AutoX set up at lower speeds or not. Going to SCCA events in So Cal, I'd definitely track down the folks who run SGTs in F-Stock. They'd definitely be able to tell you what the hot alignment set up is.

Todd

CSM1638

...how would that effect the street and tire wear. As much fun as I had on Sunday my Shelby GT is primarily a street car. Other wise there would be all kinds of madness I would do. Also the driver has to come up about umpteen levels to meet the car's ability.

From what I've read -1.5 is a very agressive street setup. They go to -3 for autocross but I don't think you want that on the road.

...also I didn't do anything to change the camber to -1.5. I had the car aligned because my rear wheel thrust angle was way out of wack from the adjustable rear control arms install. I suspect most of our cars are around the -1.5 from being lowered. We actually had a thread once where somebody asked that.

...how would that effect the street and tire wear. As much fun as I had on Sunday my Shelby GT is primarily a street car. Other wise there would be all kinds of madness I would do. Also the driver has to come up about umpteen levels to meet the car's ability.

...also I didn't do anything to change the camber to -1.5. I had the car aligned because my rear wheel thrust angle was way out of wack from the adjustable rear control arms install. I suspect most of our cars are around the -1.5 from being lowered. We actually had a thread once where somebody asked that.

Toe out is going to wear the inside of the tires, combined with negative camber, lots more inside tire wear. Unless you corner real hard and fast to wear the outsides and even it out :D Kidding of course. If you get really serious, you'll learn to drive to the track with a streatable setup, then switch to competition tires and a track setup. Then undo it all to drive home. And if you get really serious, you start trailering the AutoX car to the track. The Shelby becomes a track car, now, you need a tow vehicle, and another streetable fun car.....Careful this is highly addictive stuff! It's scientifically proven that a good drug habit may be cheaper in the long run!

I haven't measured yet. If I think about it will get my camber gauge out this weekend while Shelby is on the rack and measure, but we do have quite a bit of negative camber from the lowering. 1-1.5 negative would not surprise me looking at it.

Todd

CSM1638

WATTS LINK CONTROL

As soon as we get get the Watts Link Control on the web I will let everyone know. We have been building them for over 10 years now starting with the 5.0 Mustangs. The largest benefit is on the Shelby GT500, they are traction challenged and the Watts Link Control solves their handling problems and really allow the ShlebyGT's to really hook up.

Archived