TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SAAC

shelbygt350s

I'm going to guess that this involves the GT500E cars in some way,Or SAAC,which has been a huge resource for the original SHELBY cars did not want to play ball and join Team Shelby.I had no idea that Mr.Shelby was so litigious,Seems he is in the middle of a lot of $%^# right now!

HAS ANYONE SEEN THE LETTER SAAC PUT OUT CS WANTS HIS DOC BACK .

http://saac.com/index.php?topic=3.msg0;boardseen#new

The only thing we can be sure of at this point is that there are at least two sides to the story. Despite the criticism that appears regularly in the media, our legal system is well suited to finding out what the facts are, applying the law to those facts, and providing a result that is consistent with both the facts and the law. My sense is that neither side is "good" or "bad." Instead, they have a dispute and are doing exactly what they are supposed to do, i.e., resolve it by the rule of law. The letter from Mr. Shelby's counsel to SAAC is professional and respectful (even if it contains unwelcome news). There are many avenues the parties can take that will resolve the dispute short of the courtroom. My two cents. Jim

Agree that the legal system will take it's course on this. Shelby is within their rights to end the lisencing agreement. Having said that I have been a member of SAAC for years. They have been the best objective source of information I found as I was buying and restoring my (3) previous Shelby Mustangs. (66,67 & 69) If Shelby wants to fill those shoes, they better be a bit more responsive to their members. Yes, I joined Team Shelby, but I will wait and see. These cars are fun for their owners, but at the end of the day it's just business

They have been the best objective source of information I found as I was buying and restoring my (3) previous Shelby Mustangs. (66,67 & 69) If Shelby wants to fill those shoes, they better be a bit more responsive to their members. Yes, I joined Team Shelby, but I will wait and see. These cars are fun for their owners, but at the end of the day it's just business

That is SO correct. How do you replace people who have lived and breathed early Shelbys for for the past 30 years? If SAAC is not in the fold, then all the paperwork in the world cannot replace the practical knowledge the SAAC experts have about the early Shelbys. Good luck with that. It would be like trying to relace a Supreme court judge with a pre-law college major. :blink:

SAI should concentrate on the new Shelbys, they have enough on their plate now. Managing the data base has been a life's work for many of the SAAC people.

Purely speculation on my part but it seems for years the Shelby name has been thrown around here and there. With the organization of SAI and CSL maybe CS is trying to reel it all back in to one centralized place? Sounds like a restructuring to me.

Naturally we only see one side to the story but SAAC seemingly has been a big supporter and it appears they are getting "kicked to the curb" so to speak. I would think they would be more absorbed by CSL than done away with.

Then there is the fall of Unique Performance with crimes based so far on suspect of wrong doing as of the last report I read. That downfall was disappointing to say the least but CSL and Foose pulled away immediately even though CSL had been litigating a contract revocation for awhile.

The only thing we can be sure of at this point is that there are at least two sides to the story. Despite the criticism that appears regularly in the media, our legal system is well suited to finding out what the facts are, applying the law to those facts, and providing a result that is consistent with both the facts and the law. My sense is that neither side is "good" or "bad." Instead, they have a dispute and are doing exactly what they are supposed to do, i.e., resolve it by the rule of law. The letter from Mr. Shelby's counsel to SAAC is professional and respectful (even if it contains unwelcome news). There are many avenues the parties can take that will resolve the dispute short of the courtroom. My two cents. Jim

Spoken like a lawyer :D

Spent the last 2.5 hours reading that 28 page thread.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83483

I Just did the same thing-man Amy really had to play stick and move in there. We all must seem easy to deal with compared to those guys--she should be given some credit for the way she dealt with that whole fiasco. She had to get way more defensive than the notorious hood scoop debates---those guys get really nasty.

I HAVE BELONGED TO SAAC FOR A FEW YRS ONE TIME I DIDN'T HAVE A SHELBY SO DIDN'T RENEW MY MEMBERSHIP GOT A LETTER FROM RICK ASKING ME TO RENEW DIDN'T DO IT AND A COUPLE MONTHS LATER GOT A NASTY LETTER TELLING ME IF I DIDN'T RENEW MY MEMBERSHIP HE WOULD SEND ME A TOOTHBRUSH AND HAVE ME SCURB THE WHITE WALLS OF A CORVETTE FOR A WEEK AND THAN TO USE IT TO BRUSH MY TEETH , NO WONDER SHELBY IS PULLING HIS LICENSE I GUESS I NEVER WILL FORGET THAT .

I Just did the same thing-man Amy really had to play stick and move in there. We all must seem easy to deal with compared to those guys--she should be given some credit for the way she dealt with that whole fiasco. She had to get way more defensive than the notorious hood scoop debates---those guys get really nasty.

you sayin that us Hood Scoop complainers are "nasty?"

C'mon now.......

:unsure:

I've just spent an hour or so reading through the thread posted at the Cobra Club. Wow.

Some conclusions that I reached:

1. Business is business. We're all not privvy to what goes on behind the scenes. For example, I had no idea that SAAC was a for-profit business. Once learned, then I believe SAI can and should move toward securing and building its brand "in-house."

2. I feel badly for long-time SAAC members who have contributed for 30-some odd years and may feel snubbed in all of this; I'd ask that SAI (Amy) put on a professional and personable face in the coming months. As I admire Amy's participation in these forums, it is not imparative for the president of every corporation to respond to each and ever snide remark. With that said, the more "inviting" SAI (and Amy, specifically) can be during this transition and time of development, the better for the long term.

3. I just love my new 07 SGT. I also love the historic Shelbys too! I was invited to join the Western Canada SAAC Club about eight months ago. I completed my application and sent in my money. To this date, I have never received a single communication (no Membership Kit, no newsletter, membership card...even one single email) yet, as I read through the Membership Application, it states that "if a member misses three consecutive Club meetings, they will no longer be a member. Truth be, I don't drive an old Shelby and I have been led to believe that I am not welcome. To this, I have become disappointed with SAAC and wonder what the value lies in membership?

4. I've joined "Team Shelby" with hopes for everything Amy has promised it will be.

5. I hope that this mess does not create a large divide between "old" and "new' Shelby enthusiasts. This would be an enormous blemish to the Brand.

6. Finally, once I receive my new (third) Hood Scoop for my SGT, I will truly be a fan of SAI and Amy!

(You all know that I just had to put in that plug!)

;)

Some conclusions that I reached:

1. Business is business.

2. I feel badly for long-time SAAC members who have contributed for 30-some odd years and may feel snubbed in all of this; I'd ask that SAI (Amy) put on a professional and personable face in the coming months.

3. Truth be, I don't drive an old Shelby and I have been led to believe that I am not welcome. To this, I have become disappointed with SAAC and wonder what the value lies in membership?

4. I've joined "Team Shelby" with hopes for everything Amy has promised it will be.

5. I hope that this mess does not create a large divide between "old" and "new' Shelby enthusiasts. This would be an enormous blemish to the Brand.

6. Finally, once I receive my new (third) Hood Scoop for my SGT, I will truly be a fan of SAI and Amy!

I pretty much agree with all of the above. I think, based upon what I saw the SAAC wasn't the most efficently run or forward thinking business. Don't cha just love the web site? I can see where SAAC may have wanted to stay the way they were, making some money for those that ran it, support the few users it wanted, and pretty much maintain the status quo. Shelby on the other hand is thinking legacy and what needs to happen today to secure tomorrow. They need to think bigger and rein things into a unifed long range plan.

I too felt snubbed as the owner of a newer car, told I wasn't welcome at a local Shelby show here, and often it seemed like a group of 5000 people, not sure how many actually had cars, that wanted to keep their party to themselves. Now having said that, SAAC a wonderful resource for Cobra's and early Mustang based Shelby's and performs a needed service to these important groups. I trust that with a move over to Team Shelby we'll eventually become one BIG HAPPY FAMILY with an inclusive and viable business model that keeps it going many years to come!

BTW: It should be noted that SAAC can continue to do what they are doing and can use and keep the data they have. They just need to change their name and use of the "Shelby" name IF they are going to do this FOR PROFIT. This is the same as Ford demands for Mustang clubs. You can use the name IF you are "not for profit" otherwise no. Seems pretty simple. Change the name or go non--profit for the love of the car and be done with it.

Seems pretty simple. Change the name or go non--profit for the love of the car and be done with it.

Unfortunately Jeff, that won't happen and it is not that simple. Too much at stake for both parties. There is more to this than just the licensing issue.

you sayin that us Hood Scoop complainers are "nasty?"

C'mon now.......

:unsure:

NO, I'm saying we've paled in comparison to those guys--they got prettty nasty and some of them were personally blaming Amy and badmouthing Carroll...

I've got to think that even the most heated hood scoop threads were mild compared to that site

Unfortunately Jeff, that won't happen and it is not that simple. Too much at stake for both parties. There is more to this than just the licensing issue.

Ross,

I suspect you're right! I wish they would both deal with it in a less public way. The court of public opinion will line up on what ever side and that as they say will be that. Like hood scoops this too will pass. I'm looking forward to a stronger Shelby brand and a more vibrant and compelling organization fostering owner enthusiasm down the road.

-Jeff

Guys,

The SAAC Agreement is a license between Carroll and SAAC run by shelby licensing, not me...lol

Carroll has had complaints and issues with how his brand was being portrayed over the years, his calls and letters unanswered he decided to not renew the license. That is his right as the licensor and the brand owner. Carroll and CSL have sent letters, emails and calls, no responses. Its a shame they finally responded in public and calling Carroll evil. It's a shame they went to that level.

That said, we have a lot of things we are working on, we will not get in the muck with them, I agree with the advice, I will not post that much anymore on these types of topics.

This is supposed to be fun, we need more fun, not less

Amy

Amy; glad to hear from you on this very difficult subject.

As president of the Los Angeles Shelby American Automobile Club I can tell you our members are watching this issue very carefully.

BTW you and I spoke at the Petersen during the Tribute to Carroll.

We are not even sure if we can still keep our club name that we have had for over 15 years, and we are non profit. I agree that this is some what of an emotional issue, the old are lining up across the line from the new.

However, Shelby is Shelby, new or old, these vehicles have the Shelby DNA that can not be denied. If Carroll is unhappy with ANY aspect of how his products are being presented there is no one else who can second guess what needs to be done, Carroll is the only one.

Check out our club website lasaac.org.

I will be watching .....................................

However, Shelby is Shelby, new or old, these vehicles have the Shelby DNA that can not be denied. If Carroll is unhappy with ANY aspect of how his products are being presented there is no one else who can second guess what needs to be done, Carroll is the only one.

Check out our club website lasaac.org.

I will be watching .....................................

I just want to chime in here...when I was looking at SAAC and their lack of support for newer cars, especially here in Illinois, I was struck by the inclusive attitude of the LA team. You just need to look at their web site and view the show pics to see how they have truly treated all Shelby's equally. "Almost" made me want to move back to CA! ;-)

Archived