TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Shelby GT for 2008

goesfast

This is probably old news. There will be 100 special edition BJ/SGT 2008 Mustangs made in either auto/man as a co-op deal with Arizona Ford dealers and SAI. Black with red stripes, comes complete with signed photographs of Carroll and Amy and the like. Saw it on Autoblog.com today. Again, probably old news.

Here's a link to a real picture of one.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/21/totally...by-gt-unveiled/

I want to see this....

Unique features of the Barrett-Jackson edition will include:

-- Black exterior with "Barrett-Jackson Red" LeMans Hood and Side Stripes

-- Barrett Jackson Edition Door Sill Plates

-- Black interior with the Shelby GT serial number plate

-- Special Gas Cap Insert

-- Autographed photo of Carroll Shelby, Craig Jackson, Amy Boylan and Steve Davis

Wish I could get a picture of Carroll and Amy...no big deal on the other two for me...would be better to be Bud and John.

:D

I clicked on the link and I think the black with red stripe combo is really pretty cool. I'm running a red GT Style side stripe and one that is the old Mach 1 style in red across the back. Red and black is a great combo.

Wonder how hard it is to get one?

GG

I clicked on the link and I think the black with red stripe combo is really pretty cool. I'm running a red GT Style side stripe and one that is the old Mach 1 style in read across the back. Red and black is a great combo.

Wonder how hard it is to get one?

GG

Probably pretty easy if you are willing to pay extra.

Here's a link to a real picture of one.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/21/totally...by-gt-unveiled/

Mark,

Nice looking logo, I just noticed you changed your aviator............. I hope you give it a test drive when you get your car.

GG

• 1 month later...

I put a deposit on TWO! Both convertibles, one 5-speed (to store), one auto (to drive - I have a bad back).

I have to admit this is an impulse purchase but I saw the promo at the BJ site when I went to look for the auction list. They are pretty much all gone though.

What do you think? Is this wise?

Are these collectible?

A few other questions:

There are supposed to be 2300 of the GT's. Do the BJ 100 count against that total?

What is the gas cap going to look like?

Cheers,

Tony

A little more about the plans for the two cars. The 5-speed is going to be shipped from the dealer to my house and stored. The goal is to have as close to 0 miles as possible (and those only come from Ford and Shelby.) My friends that have collector cars all drive them so if anyone has advice on how to pack up a car for 1-2 years, that advice is welcome.

The automatic is mine - I have a bad back and don't think I'd be able to really treat a 5-speed with the respect it is due, and besides maybe I'll allow my wife to drive it once in a while too.

The VIN numbers are acknowedged by Shelby but still aren't shown as being in transit to Vegas. The VINs are sequential too (allowing for the equipment variation in the first part).

Now for a couple of more questions.

1. How long does a conversion by Shelby take? I am guessing that BJ and Shelby will want to have a number of these in Scottsdale for the auction, but can they get all 100 done and shipped in 3 weeks from now.

2. Is it possible to eliminate the dealer from the shipping loop? Can I arrange to have them shipped from Vegas? Not that going to Phoenix in late January is a bad thing, and I have relatives there, but geting the second home might be tricky given the weather that time of year.

3. Is it possible to visit the Shelby plant in Vegas to see them being "converted"? I'd rather go to Vegas at that time of year anyway, and then I could take pictures which ought to be cool for the car history package.

Two more questions for today:

It's not too late for me to change from the convertible to the coupe. What is the forum's advice?

Also, I've heard from the AZ dealers that Ford is holding 20 vehicles back and that BJ is holding another 10. Although it may be that it's a total of 20 between them. Can anyone cofirm this? I was told that this would limit the total number of vehicles available to mere mortals to 80 (maybe 70).

Cheers,

Tony

A little more about the plans for the two cars. The 5-speed is going to be shipped from the dealer to my house and stored. The goal is to have as close to 0 miles as possible (and those only come from Ford and Shelby.) My friends that have collector cars all drive them so if anyone has advice on how to pack up a car for 1-2 years, that advice is welcome.

The automatic is mine - I have a bad back and don't think I'd be able to really treat a 5-speed with the respect it is due, and besides maybe I'll allow my wife to drive it once in a while too.

The VIN numbers are acknowedged by Shelby but still aren't shown as being in transit to Vegas. The VINs are sequential too (allowing for the equipment variation in the first part).

Now for a couple of more questions.

1. How long does a conversion by Shelby take? I am guessing that BJ and Shelby will want to have a number of these in Scottsdale for the auction, but can they get all 100 done and shipped in 3 weeks from now.

2. Is it possible to eliminate the dealer from the shipping loop? Can I arrange to have them shipped from Vegas? Not that going to Phoenix in late January is a bad thing, and I have relatives there, but geting the second home might be tricky given the weather that time of year.

3. Is it possible to visit the Shelby plant in Vegas to see them being "converted"? I'd rather go to Vegas at that time of year anyway, and then I could take pictures which ought to be cool for the car history package.

Two more questions for today:

It's not too late for me to change from the convertible to the coupe. What is the forum's advice?

Also, I've heard from the AZ dealers that Ford is holding 20 vehicles back and that BJ is holding another 10. Although it may be that it's a total of 20 between them. Can anyone cofirm this? I was told that this would limit the total number of vehicles available to mere mortals to 80 (maybe 70).

Cheers,

Tony

Tony - I believe you have made a terrible mistake! These cars ARE NOT like the Shelby's of the 60's in any way what so ever. Thos cars were far more rare and had a stock HP of 306, that is 81 HP over a stock GT Mustang. These cars have 19 HP over a stock GT Mustang thus no big time collector will purchase them because of this small HP addition. The collectors are looking for HUGE HP that far exceeds the every day car they resemble, bottom line. Also the parts that were installed in these cars were not major tweaks done by Shelby they are Ford Racing parts that anyone can buy right now and make their own car exactly like a Shelby GT today. They WILL NOT however have a Shelby ID tag on the dash and engine bay. Now if you told me that you were buying 2 BJ cars and both were supercharged by Shelby and had every other option Shelby has then i would be more enclined to say you possibly will make money on that car, but they don;t have SC cars from BJ to the best of my knowledge. They are exactly like my car, nice cars but not a car I think will be worth a hundred grand in a short time or even a long time. These cars were made to drive period. I would really consider your choice again unless you have millions of dollars to spend. I would also consider this , a GT500 Super Snake. Those cars are rare and will be collectors items far faster than thr SGT becasue of the HUGE HP gains and REAL LOW production numbers. But a Shelby GT is NOT a collectible car in any manner what so ever other than like Saleen it is a limited edition car that will "maybe" appreciate in 20 + years. We'll ALL almost be dead by then so who cares any way! Your money but I would NOT do what your doing and I own a beautiful 2007 SGT with 20 inch chrome razors and a GT500 spoiler with SGT striping, the car is beautiful, but not very collectible even in years to come, it was made to drive.

That is my take, but it is your money-

Congrats on your double SGT purchase, that is impressive and you will be very happy.

Im not sure about question number one......even if I knew how long it takes to convert an SGT now, there is no accounting for the ramp up SAI may due in the next couple of weeks to get BJ Editions completed before the big event in Scottsdale.

As far as question 2, people who got additional mods at Shelby (supercharger, baer brakes, etc.) had to purchase their cars first from the dealer. Then the cars were shipped directly to the owner, no dealer. I am sure you could make this arrangement. Call John Walker at Shelby in Las Vegas and I am sure he can fill in the blanks. You can also do a museum delivery and pick your car up in LV yourself, many have ravved about this option and it is highly recommended if you can swing it.

And #3, there is a daily tour Monday thru Friday at 10:30am at Shelby. If you are doing a museum delivery, its gets even better. I was there in October and witnessed a forum member receive their car and all I can say is, Shelby is a first class organization and you will not be dissappointed.

Give them a call and ask the questions directly to John Walker, I am sure you will be happy with the answers you receive.

Happy Holidays.

EDIT: We all love our cars, even Swede, we love him, but his glasses are all fogged up with a horsepower issue that wont be satisfied until he gets a friggin blower.......the rest of us, like you I presume, acknowledge the hp and therefore wont be hindered by that reality, otherwise you would not be buying the cars.

Speaking of blowers...

Putting one on "my car" is in the plans... Is it something an excellent mechanic can do (not me, but my friend the mechanic with the '70 GTO)?

How many HP does it add?

You're right - if I wanted one I'd get a Super Snake. But here I see a chance to have two Rosebuds...

And if I drive it to the December party in Gunbarrell I'd bet that Carroll will sign it. I'm only 20 or so miles away.

There are a couple of supercharger options available for the SGT's. Horsepower output varies depending on the set-up and agressiveness of the boost and tune.

You can do it yourslf, but if you are interested in and its important to you for the S/c to be in the Shelby Registry, they have to do it.

Either in Vegas or at an authorized Shelby installer, to date I think there are only 2 outside of LV, one in Texas and one in Rhode Island.

Again , a call to John Walker will cut to the quick on the options available and then you can decide where and when to have the work done to suit your needs.

and we all love Mr.Shelby and the incredible cars he has inspired and his company now builds, but as long as you are writing a check to his Childrens Foundation, he will sign your lawnmower.

Speaking of blowers...

Putting one on "my car" is in the plans... Is it something an excellent mechanic can do (not me, but my friend the mechanic with the '70 GTO)?

How many HP does it add?

You're right - if I wanted one I'd get a Super Snake. But here I see a chance to have two Rosebuds...

And if I drive it to the December party in Gunbarrell I'd bet that Carroll will sign it. I'm only 20 or so miles away.

DO NOT have your mechanic install your SC! It is then considered an "aftermarket" job and will NOT be reflected in the registry. If you did this to the BJ cars it would only bring the cars monetary value down, which is not what you want specifically. Yopu stated you wanted a car that would be worth more money in the future, having your mechanic install a SC is the exact wrong way to add the money. Good luck with the rose buds, but I would really look into a SGT/SC if you want a rare car that was made @ Shelby or a GT500 Super Snake. Now your really talking 2 Rose buds that almost can not be duplicated-

DO NOT have your mechanic install your SC! It is then considered an "aftermarket" job and will NOT be reflected in the registry. If you did this to the BJ cars it would only bring the cars monetary value down, which is not what you want specifically. Yopu stated you wanted a car that would be worth more money in the future, having your mechanic install a SC is the exact wrong way to add the money. Good luck with the rose buds, but I would really look into a SGT/SC if you want a rare car that was made @ Shelby or a GT500 Super Snake. Now your really talking 2 Rose buds that almost can not be duplicated-

+1. Some people that have done this have had major issues due to installation problems created by people that "were supposed" to know better. Also since I guess you're buying one as an investment, which BTW I think is a REAL REAL stretch, you will not get anywhere near the value, again IF there is any, compared to what you will get if you have SAI do it and do it RIGHT. I will also say that for collectibility you really are better off going with a Super Snake for the price of these two cars. But on the other side you do have one you will drive but in the end I don't think either you or I will live long enough to see any $$$$ from these. Sorry!

What do you think? Is this wise?

Are these collectible?

Tony

As they say purchase cars you love and not what you think they might be worth in the future.

If it was me and I was going to purchase two current Shelby's on speculation the BJ & WCC versions would be at the bottom of my list. But all that is really important is that you are happy with your purchase.

Steve

contact John Walker his email is johnw@shelbyautos.com. he can help with the museum delivery (seriously look it this, its GREAT)

contact Bud Mahoney his email is budm@shelbyautos.com. Bud will help you with any mods that you might want to do to the car.

i with most of the guys on here. im SURE this cars will go up in value, but its going to take 20-30 years. if you are thinking of adding a blower you should let SAI do it. will make a huge difference in the future.

michael morris

Archived