TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Can I move the front brakes to the rear?

efrazier

I'm upgrading my front brakes. But just curious if I could then move my current stock front calipers, and rotors which are larger than the stock rears to the back of the car?

Thanks!

Welcome Tracker47, I'm know expert here in this field, but I don't think you would be able to do that. Issues with the ABS braking sensors. If you're upgrading to the Shelby/Baer brake upgrade, the brakes are more than adequate. I'm still waiting on a Baer/Shelby cosmetic caliper cover for the rear to match the front. Heard rumors of it that it is in the works. Do you have a car at Shelby in the mod shop?

Good luck,

Dave

I'm upgrading my front brakes. But just curious if I could then move my current stock front calipers, and rotors which are larger than the stock rears to the back of the car?

Thanks!

Only if you convert car to front-wheel drive.

seriously, I AM NO EXPERT, but at your own risk, you could pull front/rear off one side, check spacing on all mount points, abs sensors should read correctly from wiring harness. If they fit, mount both of them up, bleed/refill lines and try carefully in parking lot some where with seat belt & crash helmet on. Have ER team on standby, make sure you let us know how it turns out, cause thats actually a PGFI ( pretty good f--ng idear !! )

As the saying goes "anything automotive can be done, how much do you want to spend?"

Personally, I would not try this. But keep in mind that the Baer upgrade from SPP offers matching rotors for the rear. This is will do, when it comes time to upgrade the brakes.

Front and rear caliper mounting points are probably different. In addition, you'd probably need an adapter or spacer to offset the caliper for the larger diameter rotor. If you look at Baer, Steeda, others, they sell these adapters and larger rear rotors as part of typical big brake upgrade kits. It's a cheap and relatively effective way to upgrade brakes at all 4 corners. After you've spent the big bucks on 2, 4, or 6 piston calipers and drilled or sloted big diameter rotors up front :D

Todd

csm1638

Archived