TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Water Spots on Silver Stripes....Yikes!

RetroAlex

Hi Folks....Please excuse me if this topic has been covered in another thread....

My white auto is a daily driver and it still gets stares as if there's a naked woman in the car! However, being that it has rained a lot in South Florida (over the 5 months I've owned my SGT), water spots are clearly showing on the silver stripes! And they do not appear to come out easily....

Has anyone experienced this? And can you advise on how to get these water spots out? I use Zaino car polish on the non-striped areas, but has any one figured out how to remove spots/clean/shine the stripes?

Your input is appreciated!

RETROALEX #2946

RetroAlex...I live over on the other side in Sarasota. Mine is a daily driver too. I haven't had issues with the rain and spots on the stripes.

I use Blackfire polish and protectant , and a thin coat of Blackfire Carnuba on top when done . When I do the stripes, I polish very lightly( not with porter cable on stripes ) , then two coats of protectant....and I apply the carnuba with my finger tips. I am in the rain as well...but try to avoid it whenever possible.

I did have an issue with water spots on one area by the antenna from where water was dripping in the parking garage at work, and the Blackfire polish took them right out. ( and my hubby's elbow grease) I have since started parking in a different area to avoid that constant drip when it rains.

There are some good tips at this site : www.properautocare.com During the week, they have a live help button you can click on and chat with them. Just make sure you tell them the stripes are vinyl.

Good luck !

Sue

i have no garage to park my car in. so mine stays out in the elements. wash it once a week. only waxed it twice in the last 3 months with Harley-Davidson wax. we get alot of morning dew here and occasional rain. i havent noticed any spots on my paint or stripes. maybe because the car being white and in the sun its real bright and hard to see detail.

if it dont rain this weekend i'll wash it and give it a good wax and see if i can find water spots.

The stripes seem to have a clear coat on them as far as I can tell.I used a Proffesional sealant on them and the stripes look great.Now in most cases a Product like Meguiars scratch X by hand gently with a round foam pad will remove water spots.With you living in florida the water spot becomes a magnifying glass and burns itself into the paint/stripe.If its not thru the clear it can be repaired.Hope this helps.

Yup, that happen to my car also, my dealer changed my stripes for me, mine were really spotted bad!421420673_l_1_.jpg

The stripes seem to have a clear coat on them as far as I can tell.I used a Proffesional sealant on them and the stripes look great.Now in most cases a Product like Meguiars scratch X by hand gently with a round foam pad will remove water spots.With you living in florida the water spot becomes a magnifying glass and burns itself into the paint/stripe.If its not thru the clear it can be repaired.Hope this helps.

Show Car-would you have to kill me if you disclosed what sealant you used on the stripes? My stripes are ok so far and would like to keep it that way if possible.

Show Car-would you have to kill me if you disclosed what sealant you used on the stripes? My stripes are ok so far and would like to keep it that way if possible.

The stuff I use is a Meguiars prof. product.Its not easy to use for the DIY.Find a good detail shop in your area not a chain Detail/Car wash and they can handle this for you.I can recommend Meguiars NXT tech wax for the DIY.Its a weaker version of what I use.It has some cleaners in it to.Or you can use Poorboys EX-P.it works well on protection.Apply this stuff once a month on a daily driver and see how it holds up.

Archived