TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GAS CAP AGAIN

dmagner1

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep the new one has 3M Tape on the back but what's the best way to remove the stock cap.

Don't they make a "release agent", maybe something like a mild solvent to soften the existing sticky tape?

Found this on the 3m site:

"In general, this is difficult to do unless it is removed immediately after application. The part can be gently heated to soften the adhesive and peeled, or the foam tape can be split at one end and the part carefully peeled off. Tape and adhesive residue can most easily be removed with a 3M™ Stripe-Off Wheel without the use of solvents. 3M™ Prep Solvent-70 and 3M™ General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner can also be used to soften the adhesive residue, which can then be scraped off with a plastic squeegee."

Maybe that'll do it!

Don't they make a "release agent", maybe something like a mild solvent to soften the existing sticky tape?

Found this on the 3m site:

"In general, this is difficult to do unless it is removed immediately after application. The part can be gently heated to soften the adhesive and peeled, or the foam tape can be split at one end and the part carefully peeled off. Tape and adhesive residue can most easily be removed with a 3M™ Stripe-Off Wheel without the use of solvents. 3M™ Prep Solvent-70 and 3M™ General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner can also be used to soften the adhesive residue, which can then be scraped off with a plastic squeegee."

Maybe that'll do it!

Gently heat with a common home hair dryer and take a fine monofiliment fishing line behing the cap ring and use to cut the tape behind the ring. Then use the 3M adhisive remover.

Late to the party. The "Berg" cap is awesome. It would be neat if a "GT/SC" version could also be made but only if the cap's art work was not thrown out of balance. Either way it looks great, Nice job. I'm also very pleased that the "Berg" design matches the headrest and console cover I already own ! Rick

^_^ more G T emphisis on the berg snake

think of it....the snake looks like an S and with the G T.... you got SGT

COME ON GUYS... THIS ONE

sorry for cannibalizing berg's pic

A little better proportion with the letters but I like that. It says Shelby on the trunk. Of course you and I are about to get thrown out of here...... :P

Gently heat with a common home hair dryer and take a fine monofiliment fishing line behing the cap ring and use to cut the tape behind the ring. Then use the 3M adhisive remover.

+1 on the monofilament line. Works great

Jim

I personally think we should go with the berg cap shown in post 109. Horn button & power plug if SAI is willing and give em a break before we all get kicked out or get nothing :mellow: Just my opinion, but i'm a newbee without my car yet :D Maybe next week Bud said :o The patch & chair would be nice (Build it & we will buy) :lol::lol::lol:

Amy,

I tallied up all the votes for the "BergShelby"/S Snake version. If I got it right:

28 said yes as is on the cap with 2 wanting changes to the metal frame/wreath.

2 said yes but colored snake

1 said CS version (which can be bought in catalog now)

Here's those that said yes over the last 4 pages:

1 young768

2 mywickedshelby

3 Bubbabow

4 SGT

5 swedeshelby

6 ducatirider2

7 BergShelby

8 Dig-It

9 Wado

10 bigcarl

11 Diablo Yes, but with brushed looking frame (vice chrome)

12 GTjonnyR

13 07SGT0701

14 mark1

15 AFBLUE

16 WI-GT/SC

17 --H

18 ShelbyCobra826

19 shelbydream1 wanted "POWERED BY" at top of frame w/ "FORD" at bottom of frame

20 Azquadz

21 Pastor Passum

22 ShowCar

23 08SGT1234

24 Milstang wanted snake colored like engine cap (will gladly take it without though!)

25 socaljafo also wanted colored snake

26 SGTinBC

27 clark17357

28 2007_Shelby_GT

29 Joe Rod

30 07SGT0547

Amy, not to be pushy, but what are you waiting for? The people have spoken. :)

AFBLUE I think you misunderstood my earlier post, it is a go for me but I want the frame to be chrome, to match the shelby letters, NOT brushed.

Sorry. Edited it.

Milstang, added your edit to my post.

Cobrawertz, added you.

I know some guys think having "Shelby" on the gas cap is redundant with the trunk lettering, but the GT 500 also comes from the factory with "Shelby" on the trunk lid and gas cap so I think it will be ok. :)

Updated

Amy,

I tallied up all the votes for the "BergShelby"/S Snake version. If I got it right:

33 said yes as is on the cap with 1 wanting changes to the metal frame/wreath.

1 said yes but colored snake, 1 would prefer a colored snake but will be happy without.

2 said "CS" version with CS signature, 1 with wanting Shelby frame

1 said catalog available "CS" with "supercharged"

Here's those that said yes over the last 4 pages:

1 young768

2 mywickedshelby

3 Bubbabow

4 SGT

5 swedeshelby

6 ducatirider2

7 BergShelby

8 Dig-It

9 Wado

10 bigcarl

11 Diablo Yes, with chrome looking frame (vice brushed)

12 GTjonnyR

13 07SGT0701

14 mark1

15 AFBLUE

16 WI-GT/SC

17 --H

18 ShelbyCobra826

19 shelbydream1 wanted "POWERED BY" at top of frame w/ "FORD" at bottom of frame

20 Azquadz

21 Pastor Passum

22 ShowCar

23 08SGT1234

24 Milstang wanted snake colored like engine cap (will gladly take it without though!)

25 socaljafo also wanted colored snake

26 SGTinBC

27 clark17357

28 2007_Shelby_GT

29 Joe Rod

30 07SGT0547

31 Cobrawertz

32 fatboy change bergshelby to have larger "G" and "T" on either side of snake

33 Webba

34 bob3893

35 08SGT0758

Sorry. Edited it.

Milstang, added your edit to my post.

Cobrawertz, added you.

I know some guys think having "Shelby" on the gas cap is redundant with the trunk lettering, but the GT 500 also comes from the factory with "Shelby" on the trunk lid and gas cap so I think it will be ok. :)

i agree...look at it this way, if one of the trunk letters fall off, you still have the name "Shelby" intact on the gas cap :D :P

i'll go with the berg cap.

now i'm gonna need a horn button and wheel center caps to match :rolleyes:

nah i'm keepin my tri-bar mustang horn and wheel caps so they will match my grill...

if i dont then i would also end up changing the mustang emblem on the grill to the berg snake emblem...

oops i hope i didnt give anyone any ideas :o

I personally think we should go with the berg cap shown in post 109. Horn button & power plug if SAI is willing and give em a break before we all get kicked out or get nothing :mellow: Just my opinion, but i'm a newbee without my car yet :D Maybe next week Bud said :o The patch & chair would be nice (Build it & we will buy) :lol::lol::lol:

Agreed, put me down for the bundle; Gas cap, horn button & power plug. We're starting to sound like a bunch of old ladies (no offence intended to elderly females) everyone wanting something a little different. I'm happy Amy, Bud and whoever else is willing to give us something unique for out cars. Let's do it :)

Jim

I'm happy Amy, Bud and whoever else is willing to give us something unique for out cars. Let's do it :)

Jim

agreed.

SAI, lets see what you are going to do. This thread is already up to 9 pages. i bet if we took all the gas cap threads and put them together it would be close to 50 pages.

....I am sure AFBlue will let us know later today. LOL, how's that PSDS going. :P

ok, we are inagreement on the s snake with shelby Gt, or the "berg" cap as it is now called?

let me know, I will get it started

Amy

+1 more

I'm not on the list that was previously posted . . . . I'd definitely order up a set or 'bundle' for my SGT!

I think my '08 SGT is one of 5 '08s in the Minneapolis, MN area. As if I wouldn't stand out as having a 'unique' car as it is, Its a 'Shelby' and it should be known everywhere you look on the car. The little details go a long way on something as special as these cars are!

(A brushed aluminum engine dress up kit with orange/blue/black "Shelby GT" lettering like the black "GT-H" kit that is in the catalog would be sweet also.)

can some3one do the berg snake with signature for me, to at least look at........lol

I am moving on this monday

OK, I like it but I hope this doesn't start a whole another round of redesigning and delays. I was excited to see that we finally got a design that many of us could agree on....which I must say was a joint effort by many of us that have followed this track. You have final say Amy... for my .02....I like your suggestion.

ShelbyGTCap3sig.jpg

OK, I like it but I hope this doesn't start a whole another round of redesigning and delays. I was excited to see that we finally got a design that many of us could agree on....which I must say was a joint effort by many of us that have followed this track. You have final say Amy... for my .02....I like your suggestion.

ShelbyGTCap3sig.jpg

I like this one !

Chrome please :D

Chrome would be a good contrast with the silver stripes. Concur with SDEAR for Chrome.

and the letters SHELBY rather than Ford. We bought our vehicles because they are Shelbys not because they are Fords. I know it already says SHELBY on the rear deck lid. But this cap is for us the Shelby owners, not the Ford owners. This is what separates us from just another Mustang.

Consensus??????

Chrome would be a good contrast with the silver stripes. Concur with SDEAR for Chrome.

and the letters SHELBY rather than Ford. We bought our vehicles because they are Shelbys not because they are Fords. I know it already says SHELBY on the rear deck lid. But this cap is for us the Shelby owners, not the Ford owners. This is what separates us from just another Mustang.

Consensus??????

Been following this thread and gotta say a lot of great ideas. I personally like the cap with the "S" snake and the "Shelby GT" on either side of it. I would also prefer the trim to be in chrome and the "GT" to be a little enlarged just how the "500" from the GT500 is to give it a bit of emphasis.

Archived