TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GAS CAP AGAIN

dmagner1

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I confess I gave up and, as we speak, am having installed on my car the cap out of the Racing Catalogue, which has the Tiffany Cobra on it (same as the GT 500 but without "GT 500" on it). For me, I go back to something that Amy reiterated as recently as October of this year, "There is a little bit of Cobra in every car Shelby builds." Well, a gas cap is a "little bit of Cobra." I have always liked that style anyway and it, right away, differentiates us from a regular Mustang GT. My two cents. Jim

I confess I gave up and, as we speak, am having installed on my car the cap out of the Racing Catalogue, which has the Tiffany Cobra on it (same as the GT 500 but without "GT 500" on it). For me, I go back to something that Amy reiterated as recently as October of this year, "There is a little bit of Cobra in every car Shelby builds." Well, a gas cap is a "little bit of Cobra." I have always liked that style anyway and it, right away, differentiates us from a regular Mustang GT. My two cents. Jim

I ACTUALLY DID THE SAME THING I STILLL WOULD LIKE IT TO BE EXCLUSIVE TO THE GT :rolleyes:

It really is up to SAI. Doesn't really matter what we all agree upon here as this isn't a democracy. Plus we are never going to come up with an idea that we all agree upon. Some don't want snakes, some do. Some only want certain types of snakes (Tiffany, 66 style, or 69/70 style). Some want something exclusive to GT, others want something that would work with the GT and GT-H. Some want "SAI" on it, some don't. Some want a signature, some think having "Shelby" on the gas cap is redundant because it says Shelby on the trunk above. The list goes on...

The ball is in SAI's court to make a decision.

CAN WE JUST ALL AGREE ON A TIFFINY SNAKE WITH CARR0LL'S SIGNITURE ON THE BACK AND HAVE IT FOR THE GT ONLY AND MAKE THE SNAKE RED AND A SILVER BACKGROUND SO IT MATCHES ALL THE CARS ITS A LITTLE OLD BUT ITS ALSO NEW ANY COMMENTS? :unsure: :blink:

Ok I seem to have missed this one. Where is it located ? I was thinking of having one made I think any trophy company can make one.

Ok I seem to have missed this one. Where is it located ? I was thinking of having one made I think any trophy company can make one.

That would be cool. How would the trophy company make one. Would you have to take in your old one and have them change out the center?

post-3-1148440186_thumb.jpg

I had these made special the picture does not do it justice though. It simply sticks over the GT emblem. The emblem is black background with silver snake and letters and sharper.

GG

Yes, I can attest that they look much better in person as GG sent me one. Thanks again. Quick question for you. I assume I somehow get inside the outer clear cover to put this adhesive over the tribar right?

Back to the discussion above: I guess what I don't get is why is it that using a Cobra emblem which first appeared on the 67 GT 350 and GT 500 (the Tiffany Cobra), seems "inappropriate" by some, but using a Cobra emblem which first appeared on the 69 GT 350 and GT 500 (the one I posted above and the current engine caps design), is "appropriate". Seems like if ones ok the other should be too.

Also, the Tiffany Cobra is used on the Shelby Razor wheels, the original CS 6 prototype, the Mustang Cobra II, even the 1968/69 Fairlane and Torino Cobra

ITEM_24-A-4_1969_TORINO_COBRA_JET_Bright_Red_.jpg

Throughout it's history the Tiffany Cobra has not been an exclusively Mustang (see Torino and Fairlane above), Ford (used on Razor Wheels), or GT 350/500 emblem (Torino, Fairlane and Cobra II examples). Some folks say it's should now be reserved for top of the of the line mustangs (94-04 Cobras and current GT 500), and that's fine but that is a recent development. 1968 GT-350 had them on there and it was a rated at 250hp (an inflated number by today's SAE standards). And I already mentioned the anemic 4 cylinder version of the Cobra II.

What am I trying to say? I don't know, just rambling through the history of the Tiffany Cobra. :) But as this gas cap thing as been going on for 7 months now it sure would be nice if SAI would make an official decision so that we could all get on with our lives. :D

You peel the black circle emblem off the clear backing and it has its own adhesive and then apply with light mist solution and line it up level so it covers the GT emblem. Smooth out any tiny bubbles, using windex and keeping it moist and eye balling to your satisfaction makes installation easy. The windex solution method is very forgiving. Make sure to let it dry for several hours in the sun.

I've always wondered why the after market dress up parts had the snake but there is so much resistance to the use of the cobra by SAI.

I just never really made sense to me. The car should have had the shelby cobra on the side also instead of the Powered by Ford emblem.

This is one of those issues that may never be resolved, maybe thier saving it for the GT-350.

GG

You peel the black circle emblem off the clear backing and it has its own adhesive and then apply with light mist solution and line it up level so it covers the GT emblem. Smooth out any tiny bubbles, using windex and keeping it moist and eye balling to your satisfaction makes installation easy. The windex solution method is very forgiving. Make sure to let it dry for several hours in the sun.

I've always wondered why the after market dress up parts had the snake but there is so much resistance to the use of the cobra by SAI.

I just never really made sense to me. The car should have had the shelby cobra on the side also instead of the Powered by Ford emblem.

This is one of those issues that may never be resolved, maybe thier saving it for the GT-350.

GG

YOU KNOW THEY THIS COBRA IS STRICKLEY FOR FORD :angry: BUT LAST TIME I CHECKED THIS WAS A JOINT EFFORT BETWEEN FORD AND SHELBY SO I DONT KNOW WHY WE CANT USE THE COBRA EVERYONE KNOWS SHELBY WITH COBRA AND IT WAS A FORD WHEN IT STARTED AND THE NEXT PERSON THAT CALLS MY CAR A MUSTANG, I JUST SAY NO ,IF IT WAS A MUSTANG IT WOULD BE 10 GRAND LESS :lol: :rolleyes: B)

THE NEXT PERSON THAT CALLS MY CAR A MUSTANG, I JUST SAY NO ,IF IT WAS A MUSTANG IT WOULD BE 10 GRAND LESS :lol: :rolleyes: B)

True

But then can you do me a favor and explain the GT500 which was built by Ford at Ford.... <_<

Amy, we know your listening I think its been beaten down enough and a snake and shelby GT lettering is what some are doing on their own.There are alot of ideas in this forum to put you in the right direction,we will probebly never come to a unified decision, We are looking to be exclusive to the shelby GT and want something official to come out of SAI for our cars.please pick something before the next shelby model comes out and we have to design something else for that. Thanks

post-3-1148440186_thumb.jpg

I had these made special the picture does not do it justice though. It simply sticks over the GT emblem. The emblem is black background with silver snake and letters and sharper.

GG

This is what I had in mind but I was going to put a thin layer of plastic over the sticker to give it depth and shine. The 65 mustang and shelby caps were done that way and i always like that look.

This is what I had in mind but I was going to put a thin layer of plastic over the sticker to give it depth and shine. The 65 mustang and shelby caps were done that way and i always like that look.

I've got a couple left pm me if you are going to put it on your car for sure. I only have about three left so make sure this is what you want to do.

GG

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I could not wait for the faux gas cap wars to conclude, so I went out and got the Cobra cap. For me, it is cleaner and more distinctive than the stock GT cap. And, as Mr. Shelby said a long time ago, “There is some Cobra in every car I build.” B) Jim

Well, I could not wait for the faux gas cap wars to conclude, so I went out and got the Cobra cap. For me, it is cleaner and more distinctive than the stock GT cap. And, as Mr. Shelby said a long time ago, “There is some Cobra in every car I build.” B) Jim

I hear ya, Jim. And, in a way, I agree. IMHO, add this aftermarket part, and call it quits.

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/Show...ock%20Trim.aspx

Trunk already says "Shelby", this brushed aluminum cover highlights "GT".

As long as other folks are reading our tunk lids, this kind of says it all.

Y'all be safe.

I hear ya, Jim. And, in a way, I agree. IMHO, add this aftermarket part, and call it quits.

But I have this really cool "Hurst Equipped" badge that I want to add. ;) Jim

Here are photos of the Cobra cap. I could not post them before because my daughter was not here to show me how. Here you go. Jim :)

CobraCap%20003.jpg

CobraCap%20002.jpg

But I have this really cool "Hurst Equipped" badge that I want to add. ;) Jim

Here are photos of the Cobra cap. I could not post them before because my daughter was not here to show me how. Here you go. Jim :)

CobraCap%20003.jpg

CobraCap%20002.jpg

WOW that looks really nice....

I like the way that looks, How does the faux gas cap come off, is it just adhesive taped on.

I kept the original and will post a photo of what it looks like when off. Basically, it is tape and then a couple of fasteners. Jim

They will be avlaible soon. Spoke with the vendor creating the caps for Shelby. There will be one that says Shelby GT and one that says Shelby GT/SC.

I'm kind of curious, has a decision been made to use the one that I sent to AFBlue (Mark) I had these made about a year ago?

I may need a piece of the action, say 40%, will check with the godfather and his Consigliere to see if they need my permission to put these out.

GG

Since June! Personally, I'm quite happy with this as a solution. It matches the center caps of my Razor Rims too!

Shelby033.jpg

GT Gascap on my 68 GT.

100_3109.jpg

Archived