TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Registering a SGT question

AFBLUE

What do you put as the Model for registration and Titlle application? Mustang GT or Shelby GT.

I want to put Shelby GT but don't know if the DMV system will recognize it. Maybe it's state dependent.

I remember a prior discussion on this but can't find it.

Mark,

I think its different state to state, most come up as Mustang GT cause the DMV goes by vin and our vins are the same as regular Mustang.

If I remember correctly, regardless of how you word it, the computer reads the vin and prints the Title/Registration.

Now, this was discussed months ago, its always possible that something has changed since our cars were introduced.

AFBlue, I live in VA as well and was given an option. I put "Shelby GT". The financial guy where i bought the car even made a comment saying "you want Shelby GT for the model? You might as well, you paid for it" Just insist they put it on there.

In my line of work I look at vehicle registrations on a regular basic and you wouldnt believe some of the things people have as their model, here in VA. I know from experience in VA you can put anything you want.

If I remember correctly, regardless of how you word it, the computer reads the vin and prints the Title/Registration.

In VA everything is manually entered into the DMV computers.

Not registering in VA, but thanks for the info. I will eventually register the car in VA.

Call it what you want, but by VIN, it's a Mustang GT made by Ford Motor Company.

Just ask your insurance dude.

This brings up another question. Are our cars automatically insured at the replacement cost of a Mustang GT or Shelby GT? If Mustang GT, then did you guys have to do anything special to get extra coverage for the difference?

Not registering in VA, but thanks for the info. I will eventually register the car in VA.

This brings up another question. Are our cars automatically insured at the replacement cost of a Mustang GT or Shelby GT? If Mustang GT, then did you guys have to do anything special to get extra coverage for the difference?

I believe that I had to fax them some information and insure it for "stated value." I definitely think you should talk it over with your insurer, especially since the supercharger amount would be over and above the regular Shelby difference.

Are our cars automatically insured at the replacement cost of a Mustang GT or Shelby GT? If Mustang GT, then did you guys have to do anything special to get extra coverage for the difference?

I am with State Farm, over 30 years now.

When I bought my SGT, I sat down with my SF agent, and he suggested (after a phone call to home office underwriters) that we cover the car with two policies. One for the base Mustang GT, and another for the Shelby treatment. He mentioned that this was the way SF handled other similar situations. He asked "remember the custom van craze of the late '70s?" I did. I recalled when regular Chevy/Dodge/Ford utility vans were sent out to more than a dozen upfitters for custom upgrading into camping and RV vehicles. Thus, I have one policy for the Mustang GT underpinnings, and another for the Shelby upfitter's treatment. I had to supply documentation for the underwriters, but this wasn't a big deal.

I pay 436.00 every six months, which is a hell of a lot less than I paid for my custom built Kenny Brown Marauder S.

All this said, it's not a big deal, just be truthful. But, if you insure your SGT as a Mustang GT, you may get a big surprise when it gets stolen/totaled.

It's all in the VIN, and Shelby doesn't issue VINs.

Ditto for you "H" owners...

"remember the custom van craze of the late '70s?"

Let's see, I was born in ,72 so I'm going to have to say no. :P

Anyway per my conversation with Safeco yesterday about this very same thing, there is a code in the VIN that represents the SGT has a "special package" although it does not say Shelby. She specifically said "code 20". TO continue with the conversation, that my Shelby was covered for the full value of the car beyond that of an equivelent 07 Mustang GT and that is "why my insurance costs more than a standard Mustang GT." I have talked to three different people at Safeco and they all say the same thing.

So according to them FORD must have indicated something in the VIN even though SAI did not.

Not to disagree with your insurance company but to my knowledge, there is nothing in the Vin# that identifies a Mustang as a SGT.

Now using the Ford computer system, you can use the vin# to look up the car and see that it has a 54U package.

I'm open to being proved wrong but there isn't a digit in SGT vin# that is unique to these cars.

I am with State Farm, over 30 years now.

When I bought my SGT, I sat down with my SF agent, and he suggested (after a phone call to home office underwriters) that we cover the car with two policies. One for the base Mustang GT, and another for the Shelby treatment. He mentioned that this was the way SF handled other similar situations. He asked "remember the custom van craze of the late '70s?" I did. I recalled when regular Chevy/Dodge/Ford utility vans were sent out to more than a dozen upfitters for custom upgrading into camping and RV vehicles. Thus, I have one policy for the Mustang GT underpinnings, and another for the Shelby upfitter's treatment. I had to supply documentation for the underwriters, but this wasn't a big deal.

I pay 436.00 every six months, which is a hell of a lot less than I paid for my custom built Kenny Brown Marauder S.

All this said, it's not a big deal, just be truthful. But, if you insure your SGT as a Mustang GT, you may get a big surprise when it gets stolen/totaled.

It's all in the VIN, and Shelby doesn't issue VINs.

Ditto for you "H" owners...

I'm with State Farm also. The GT500 showed up in their computer but not the SGT. They had me bring the car up, and they took pics of it and both window stickers. Ended up costing the same as my wife's GT.

Not to disagree with your insurance company but to my knowledge, there is nothing in the Vin# that identifies a Mustang as a SGT. Now using the Ford computer system, you can use the vin# to look up the car and see that it has a 54U package. I'm open to being proved wrong but there isn't a digit in SGT vin# that is unique to these cars.

True, my friend. You are correct. There is no VIN identifier as an SGT, but the "54U" package will show up in any OASIS report. Something to keep in mind?

I'm with State Farm also. The GT500 showed up in their computer but not the SGT. They had me bring the car up, and they took pics of it and both window stickers. Ended up costing the same as my wife's GT.

True again. Ford issues VINs and the GT500 is a Ford product. The Shelby GT is not a Ford Product and SAI does not have the authority to re-issue VINs. The fact that you had to produce the vehicle and pics prolly has more to do with proving you own a GT 500, more than anything else.

I've been an LEO for over 30 years now and I spent some in GT/A. I have hundreds of case of auto fraud where the owner registered his vehicle with his insurance as one trim/style, while owning a lower valued model. the most polular of these cases were Lincoln Town Cars, where the VIN did not show a difference between the Premier, Signature, or Cartier. As usual, the Ford/OASIS answered the question.

Not to disagree with your insurance company but to my knowledge, there is nothing in the Vin# that identifies a Mustang as a SGT.

Now using the Ford computer system, you can use the vin# to look up the car and see that it has a 54U package.

I'm open to being proved wrong but there isn't a digit in SGT vin# that is unique to these cars.

lol, I'm not defending my insurance company at all. The "code 20" in which she is referring could be the 54U you are talking about. At no time did she ever say "Shelby" no matter how many times I said it. All she would say was "the VIN will tell what type of car it is" and then the above referenced information I posted earlier.

Personally, I wouldn't tell unless I was specically asked. Why give the insurance company another opportunity to stick it to you? Also, on a slightly different note, when titling my SGT, my dealer (who is a fine contibutor to this site not named MM) provided me with a bill of sale which separated the GT from the SGT. I was able to pay sales tax on $39k instead of $51k.

YES!

That being said,all I had to do was take in my Ford sticker/Shelby sticker and documentation (I forgot-had to provide pictures also-included one of dash plaque)as to what the car really is and my insurance company has issued me a policy for a 07 Ford Shelby GT with full replacement value. I felt it would be better to argue the fact with them now than before something happened (god forbid) to my baby. My insurance rate fell between a Mustang GT and a Shelby GT500.

One more question. I'm in the process of purchasing the car from Michael Morris.

Car is still at SAI. So when do I need to have it insured? When I own it or when I take delivery?

I have already paid for mine, which means it's mine. As in, CYA. I insured the car as a non registered, non driven vehicle ( I forget their terminology), it wasn't very expensive.

One more question. I'm in the process of purchasing the car from Michael Morris.

Car is still at SAI. So when do I need to have it insured? When I own it or when I take delivery?

Definitely need to have it covered from the moment you own it. Before that, insurance is provided by the dealer, if they own it, or Ford, if they own it. If you are putting a loan on the car, the bank won't let you close on the car purchase without insurance. They want to make sure their investment is protected. Just ask MM and I'm sure he can guide you through the process.

True, my friend. You are correct. There is no VIN identifier as an SGT, but the "54U" package will show up in any OASIS report. Something to keep in mind?

True again. Ford issues VINs and the GT500 is a Ford product. The Shelby GT is not a Ford Product and SAI does not have the authority to re-issue VINs. The fact that you had to produce the vehicle and pics prolly has more to do with proving you own a GT 500, more than anything else.

Me no have a GT500, have an SGT.

My insurance company thinks its a Mustang GT, but I did get the GAP insurance through the dealership. I should be covered, right?

You should be but if you have questions just call 'em.

I got GAP through SAFECO for far, far less than what the dealership was going to charge.

I dont want to call my insurance company since my premium only went up $3 a month from my 04 Mustang GT.

Plus I'm not 25 yet so my rates are still sky high.

Archived