TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SHELBY SIGNATURE

Airborne4162

Has anyone had their Shelby GT500 signed by Mr. Shelby himself? :rolleyes:

I'm having a heck of a time replying. Apparently not tech savy enough. Just wanted to connect with a few owners of what will eventually become historical pieces and not just a Shelby. I met Mr. Shelby during a luncheon honoring him and a few other WWII veterans in recognition of his military accomplishments and not so much the car world he's credited for creating. He's a nice down to earth person who is interesting to say the least. Quite frankly, I'm not a car guy but have fallen into the Shelby world as I learn more and more about the his automobile. My daily driver is fast enough and I can say with all certainty, this GT500 is a well built machine...the signature is just an added bonus.

I want to take the air bag plate off my 500 and send for signature. As a matter of fact my wife offered to have it done for me for Christmas. I took the glove box off to get to the air bag plate from behind. There appear to be two sets of insertion clips; a set on the right and a set on the left (closest to the drivers side). The air bag plate is levered. It is easy to release the right hand clips. However, I can not easily get to the left clips and they do not easily release. I am afraid to force them. Obviously, the second option is to send the sun visor for signature. Can anyone direct me if I can force the air bag plate or not. thank you in advance for your assistance.

If it were me I would take the car to the dealer and have them remove the air bag. They have the tools, technology, and know how to get it done. Most likely it will run you 1- 2 hours in and out. DON'T MESS WITH THE AIR BAG YOURSELF. If you f#$@ it up it will cost you much more than the labor cost to have ford do it.

I want to take the air bag plate off my 500 and send for signature. As a matter of fact my wife offered to have it done for me for Christmas. I took the glove box off to get to the air bag plate from behind. There appear to be two sets of insertion clips; a set on the right and a set on the left (closest to the drivers side). The air bag plate is levered. It is easy to release the right hand clips. However, I can not easily get to the left clips and they do not easily release. I am afraid to force them. Obviously, the second option is to send the sun visor for signature. Can anyone direct me if I can force the air bag plate or not. thank you in advance for your assistance.

If it were me I would take the car to the dealer and have them remove the air bag. They have the tools, technology, and know how to get it done. Most likely it will run you 1- 2 hours in and out. DON'T MESS WITH THE AIR BAG YOURSELF. If you f#$@ it up it will cost you much more than the labor cost to have ford do it.

I'll figure out this forum stuff soon. I agree with the dealer statement. Too many things can go wrong. I do have the digital dealers repair manual reference this section when you go to them: 501-20B-1 REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION of PASSENGER AIR BAG MODULE. The passenger air bag deployment door clips (Part No. 044A74) are listed as part of the removal for possible replacement. The steps listed in the SRS (Supplemental Restraint System) are as follows: WARNING: (Assuming the bags have discharged) After deployment, the air bag surface can contain deposits of sodium hydroxide, a product of the gas generant combustion that is irritatin to the skin. Wash your hands with soap and water afterwards. Never probe the connectors on the air bag module. Doing so can result in air bag deployment, which can result in personal injury. Air bag modules with discolored or damaged deployment doors must be replaced, not repainted. (So after getting your doors signed, don't wreck your car), and finally to reduce risk of personal injury, do not use any memory saver devices. Okay, your probably wanting to get to the door part. Let me add the notes and will move on; NOTE: The air bag warning lamp illuminates when the RCM fuse is removed and the ignition switch is ON. This is normal operation and does not indicate a supplemental restraint system (SRS) fault. The SRS must be fully operational and free of faults before releasing the vehicle to the customer. Repair is made by installing a new part only. If the new part does not correct the condition, install the original part and carry out the diagnostic procedure again. Boy, that's a mouth full of warnings and notes; The instructions to remove (coupled with a very nice exploded parts breakdown picture) starts with 1. Depower the system. For additional information, refer to the SRS Depowering and Repowering (elsewhere in the service manual), 2. Open and lower the glove compartment door. 3. Disconnect the passenger air bag modeule electrical connector (which is shown in Figure 4 and the dangerous part of this whole venture), 4. Remove the 2 air bag module bolts, 5. [b]CAUTION: Do not handle the passenger air bag module by grabbing the edges of the deployment door. Through the glove box opening, release the deployment door clips (6 upper, 6 lower and 2 on each side) from the instrument panet (I/P) and then remove the passenger air bag module out of the I/P[/b], 6. NOTE: During the air bag module installation, make sure all the deployment door clips are fully seated in the I/P. To install, reverse the removal procedure, and finally step no. 7, Repower the system. What did all of this mean? Take it to the dealer, too many things can go wrong and your looking at $$$$ to repair.

Thank you for the feed back on the removal. I will not take it out myself. I was leaning to just take the sunvisor off and ship it out. However, seeing the signature pictures in this thread. There is absolutely no question in my mind the air bag cover must come off. That is where the signature belongs. Therefore, on to the phone tomorrow to book it at the ford dealership in town here. They are not a SVT dealer but I assume they can do this as the dash and air bags I suspect is the same for all of the mustangs from 2007.

thank you for confirming my gut feel when I looked at it " don't be stupid take it to a Ford shop"

Thank you for the feed back on the removal. I will not take it out myself. I was leaning to just take the sunvisor off and ship it out. However, seeing the signature pictures in this thread. There is absolutely no question in my mind the air bag cover must come off. That is where the signature belongs. Therefore, on to the phone tomorrow to book it at the ford dealership in town here. They are not a SVT dealer but I assume they can do this as the dash and air bags I suspect is the same for all of the mustangs from 2007.

thank you for confirming my gut feel when I looked at it " don't be stupid take it to a Ford shop"

Anytime. If I knew how to attach a picture to this thread I would have forward it by now. Shelby's Children Foundation website offers the signing of your door once you send it in to them for a few hundred dollars. Money earmarked for the foundation. Looks good, helps those in need. They do have a few warnings and several disclaimers on safety after the fact. Bottomline, it looks wonderful. Ofcourse, having Mr. Shelby himself sign in person would be better if you're ever around his Vegas factory for a tour. I hear he frequents the facility a few times a week and it just so happens to be next to the Shelby Performance company that cranks out these signature dash plates, glove box resign and the like.

I'm having a heck of a time replying. Apparently not tech savy enough. Just wanted to connect with a few owners of what will eventually become historical pieces and not just a Shelby. I met Mr. Shelby during a luncheon honoring him and a few other WWII veterans in recognition of his military accomplishments and not so much the car world he's credited for creating. He's a nice down to earth person who is interesting to say the least. Quite frankly, I'm not a car guy but have fallen into the Shelby world as I learn more and more about the his automobile. My daily driver is fast enough and I can say with all certainty, this GT500 is a well built machine...the signature is just an added bonus.

135 Series, that would not have been at WPAFB would it? Here's my pics from when CS signed my car at the Hope hotel.

Hmm, can't can't post the pics....sorry

135 Series, that would not have been at WPAFB would it? Here's my pics from when CS signed my car at the Hope hotel.

Hmm, can't can't post the pics....sorry

I understand, tried to post myself but can't quite get the hang of this forum stuff. And yes, it was at WPAFB. I heard about your signing from one of the photographers. I would be the second guy later that day with CS, his wife and a few press folks. We should meet at the museum. Your obviously close by.

I understand, tried to post myself but can't quite get the hang of this forum stuff. And yes, it was at WPAFB. I heard about your signing from one of the photographers. I would be the second guy later that day with CS, his wife and a few press folks. We should meet at the museum. Your obviously close by.

I live in Fairborn, work in Centerville and my wife works at AFMC. The car has gone into storage for the winter, but we should plan on getting together soon.

I live in Fairborn, work in Centerville and my wife works at AFMC. The car has gone into storage for the winter, but we should plan on getting together soon.

Call 333-COPS and ask for Homeland Security Officer. I'll give you the personal info then. Know the Fairborn area well and 262 very well. Retired from there in 2001.

The 40th Party was a once in a lifetime experience that I will never forget.

Carroll is a great guy!!! Very genuine!!!

My 40th is awesome, and YES.......Caroll Shelby sat in my car, and signed my dash!!!

How COOL is that!!!!!!!

Here are some pics.

KingCobra.

Archived