TEAM SHELBY FORUM

302 cid?

railrider_merged

This engine is in the production mustang. All the 5.0 saleen engine is a 4.6 with some tweaks if I can find the info I will post it.

Saleen completely disassembles and rebuilds the 4.6 Three-Valve engines in its Irvine, California, facility and pokes them out to 302 ci. With enhanced cylinder heads, raised compression, and Saleen cams, the 302 engines make 400 hp and 390 lb-ft of torque.

This was from Muscle Mustangs And Fast Fords

This engine is in the production mustang. All the 5.0 saleen engine is a 4.6 with some tweaks if I can find the info I will post it.

Saleen completely disassembles and rebuilds the 4.6 Three-Valve engines in its Irvine, California, facility and pokes them out to 302 ci. With enhanced cylinder heads, raised compression, and Saleen cams, the 302 engines make 400 hp and 390 lb-ft of torque.

This was from Muscle Mustangs And Fast Fords

I did not realize that. I thought it was an entirely different engine than the 4.6 liter. I was kinda interested in these cars because I thought it was a true 302.They are nice looking though.

I did not realize that. I thought it was an entirely different engine than the 4.6 liter. I was kinda interested in these cars because I thought it was a true 302.They are nice looking though.

i sold one of the PJ cars to a friend in OH. i think hes had it a year and has put 40 miles on it, but he said that the car ran REAL well. i agree with doubting the engine will last with all the stuff they do to it, but we will see!!!

michael morris

i sold one of the PJ cars to a friend in OH. i think hes had it a year and has put 40 miles on it, but he said that the car ran REAL well. i agree with doubting the engine will last with all the stuff they do to it, but we will see!!!

michael morris

I am curious why people would say the engine would not last. Basically the engine is a bored and stroked 4.6 liter taken out to 5.0 litre. There would be less stress on a 5.0 litre engine going to 400 HP than a 4.6 litre engine taken to 400 or more HP. The Shelby, Paxton, and Ford Suiperchargers take the 4.6 to 400-500 HP without internal modifications (forged rods, pistons, etc). I would think the blown 4.6 would be subject to more stress.

we are talking about non supercharged engines.the 4.6 has the design and tollerances to meet a production basis.when you bore out a production engine you efectivley un engineer what a manufacturer is willing to accept in its warranty limits.you can make any engine better with stronger internals but you cannot make it cost effective the way that ford is looking for in a production unit.the saleen 302 is probably twice as expensive to make as a standard 281 and with metal prices going threw the roof these days every ounce makes a differance.I beleive the saleen 302 revs much higher than the 281. it may last just as long but no real time has gone by yet so thats the real test.

Archived