TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Well wished for Roger Sorel...

ShelbyGT/SC

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news again but I wanted to let everyone know that our friend Roger is in the hospital emergency room. I would assume that he's in stable condition, from what it seems (and what I hope).

I'm sure that you all noticed that he hasn't been on these forums as much recently. Well, it seems to have all may have started around the time of our trip to GA to get my enclosed trailer. And, in particular (here is where I feel bad) it may have started when we stayed in that crappy Super 8 hotel. I hope and wish it weren't the case, but after an email I received from him over the weekend, I'm feeling really guilty.

As most of you know, I had been working on getting a trailer since March. When I finally ordered one and planned the trip, Roger saw the opportunity to join me (to hang with a friend and be there so I wasn't alone on the trip), see Michael Morris and have some fun. We both had an awesome time (well, I know I did and other than not feeling well and not getting enough sleep, I think Roger did too). BTW, I gave him plenty of opportunity to not go with me but he insisted (and he knew I was willing to sleep in my truck had I gone alone); plus it helped him get the delivery delays of his car out of his mind.

The problem was when we got to that bogus and cheap hotel. It was stinky/stuffy in there so I turned on the HVAC. Well, it seemed that it was probably moldy because we could smell something unhealthy but we kept it on anyway. Well, the only 2 things in life I'm allergic to are mold and mites – two things that were likely prevalent in that hell hole. The next morning, both of us woke with our throats feeling bogus. I figured I would have been in worse shape than I ended up being since I am so allergic to both. I drank a lot of orange juice that day; including the one that Roger bought me. Roger, on the other hand, wasn't as lucky. I think the lack of sleep added to his lack of complete recovery. Roger ended up getting more of a cold days later. It took about a week and I think he was doing a little better but he never seemed to have been able to get rid of it completely.

When his car arrived (about a week after our trip), the weather was getting colder. We hung out in the cold for a few hours waiting for his car. It was another really fun time. When Black Beauty finally arrived, we all seemed to have forgotten about the cold.

Add to all of this, Roger also works his butt off. His job is such that he is constantly on call. During our trip to GA, he must have gotten 50-75 calls from coworkers those few days and they all knew he was on vacation. During normal days, he runs all around, place to place, on the phone and fixing problems, all stressed out of his mind – and he calls me the multi-tasker.

Fast forward to this past week, Roger seemed to have taken a turn for the worse. Last week, he missed a few days from work. I tried to reach him to get together over the weekend but he was so sick with 102+ degree temps that he wasn't even taking calls or on the computer (I had something really special planned). When I called for him this morning, I ended up getting a call from Lori from the emergency room telling me that Roger's cold got so bad that his kidneys shut down. He's dehydrated and likely had/has a touch of pneumonia. He is on invitro (or what ever it's called) trying to pump fluids in him right now. His kidney number is 0.3 out of a possible 1.0 so they are all concerned (don't know what those numbers mean but it sounds pretty serious to me). Since he is in the emergency room, he can't take visitors. As soon as I get the word, I will head down to see him (that's if he wants to – I think he is blaming that hotel so he might not want me there).

Well, here is wishing Roger a quick road to recovery. I'll be saying more prayers tonight for him. I thought you'd all want to know this since we're all friends and family. As soon as I hear more, I'll let you all know.

I am not sure of how this works with giving the address if anyone wants it, but the hospital is:

Rhode Island Hospital

Attn: Roger Sorel

593 Eddy Street

Providence, RI 02903

401-444-4000

Wow, that is not good at all. But be a little more kind to yourself. We are all grownups and make decisions accordingly. If the tables were turned, do you really think you would want Roger to feel guilty? Doubtful. As a fellow workaholic, my guess is that the grind from work is the real reason he was not up to par when you left. Let's all just keep Roger in our thoughts and prayers and get him back up and around so he can be abused by us all for years to come. :) Jim

If his kindneys shut down it is NOT from a cold or loss of sleep or mold etc.. etc... it is from something WAY WAY more serious than that. He needs and is getting extreme help now and that is good. Once your kindeys shut down nothing can filter the blood and liquids and you ....well I don't want to say it but we all know what happens. I am NOT being morbid but lets us all pray for him and his recovery as this is serious, if his kidneys really did shut down- May God walk with him until this passes.

thats not good...dont know if the hotel really initially caused it but it probly didnt help it any. but its not your fault.

them Norman Bate's Motels gimme the creaps anyway...i usually go for the ritsy ones...costs more but i'm afraid of gettin mugged by some riff raff at one of those cheap ones, but thats another issue.

hope he gets through this. :mellow:

Aww darn...my prayers go out to him.

Being a nurse for 30 years now..I can say..he looks like a pretty tough guy from the pictures I have seen so hopefully that "toughness " will pull him through without any perm damage. The kidney numbers you gave "can be" from severe dehydration, especially if he has been running this fever for a few days. The IV fluids should help that, and his kidney functions "should" return to normal in time.

My best of best nurse prayers will be with him....and tell him we are thinking of him. Sounds like he will be admitted. Let us know for sure...would love to send some sunshine his way.

Sue

And Adam...quit blaming yourself !

Writing from my new blackberry so excuse the punctuation

Roger called and seems a little better numbers are improving

Getting rest and moved out of er

Will visit tomorrow night

Writing from my new blackberry so excuse the punctuation

Roger called and seems a little better numbers are improving

Getting rest and moved out of er

Will visit tomorrow night

thats not good...dont know if the hotel really initially caused it but it probly didnt help it any. but its not your fault.

them Norman Bate's Motels gimme the creaps anyway...i usually go for the ritsy ones...costs more but i'm afraid of gettin mugged by some riff raff at one of those cheap ones, but thats another issue.

hope he gets through this. :mellow:

Adam-send Roger my best when you see/talk to him and stop blaming the hotel---it was probably those nasty slim jim farts of yours he told us all about :D

Seriously though, thanks for the info and best wishes Roger, get well soon!!!

Adam, So sorry to hear about Roger. Don't blame yourself. Roger's been running on adrenaline the last 3 months. He went to the reserve one to many times. Tell Lori to lock his dam* tools up for a month!, so he can get rested up. Tell Roger I was the one to tell Lori to lock the tools up. And if he doesn't like it, I'll send Mr. Wicked over there to knock him upside the head. He can't enjoy his new toy, if he doesn't take care of himself first. I'm sure some of you right coast guys could give him a hand, so he doesn't stress out about getting the car done after he's back home again and rested up.

Tell him we wish him well, and has a speedy recovery. Look forward to seeing him post on the boards soon.

Dave

Roger will be in my prayers as well.

He needs to take it easy and get a full recovery. I am speaking from personal experience I have been trying to do too much and as a result my back is giving me some problems. I am going to lay low for a few days to recover some and not jump back into things so fast once I get better.

Adam don't blame yourself this sounds more like a rundown body finally taking a break any way it can.

Wow Adam I had no idea. I hadnt seen him on the past few days but I havent been on as much myself so I figured he was busy too. He called me a week ago and said he was still hurting from the cold and he was going to the Dr. but sounded in good spirits. He told me all about your trip to GA and how much fun he had. I think he was just run down from work, the trip, and all the delays Michael Morris put on his car! ;) Let us know what you hear. I am going to try and call him tonight :)

Spoke with Roger a little while ago to let him know I'll be there tomorrow rather than tonight (since I am scheduled to bring my SGT to Tasca for more mods and since the kids are a little crazy tonight at home). Roger sounded a good deal better and told that his numbers are doing a good deal better too. There is still need for improvement but he's in the right direction.

Will post more later.

thanks Adam for the update. i also just got off the phone with Roger. he is sounding and said he is doing ALOT better. told me that the kidneys are working again and that he has broken the world record for relieving himself into a container :lol: ( i have NO idea why i put that, but thought it might add a little humor to this serious sitution and its true!) if yall have his CELL number he has it in his room with him. i know if i was STUCK in a room for a few days i would like my FRIENDS to call.

were still praying for a speedy recovery. keep taking good car of him MISS LORI!!

michael morris

Spoke with Roger a little while ago to let him know I'll be there tomorrow rather than tonight (since I am scheduled to bring my SGT to Tasca for more mods and since the kids are a little crazy tonight at home). Roger sounded a good deal better and told that his numbers are doing a good deal better too. There is still need for improvement but he's in the right direction.

Will post more later.

I haven't been a member here long enough to know much about Roger, or, Adam. But, I have been a member of "family" style web site for years, where membership at large feels (and acts) more like family to one another, than just screen names at other sites.

Being seriously ill myself (but getting better), my heart and prayers are didecated to Roger and his real family. Likewise, I want to tell Adam to ease up on himself.

As a newbie here, seems to me that for some time now, Roger has been known to "push" things too far, go the extra mile. Also (and likewise because I am a newbie), seems to me that his best friend Adam, feels responsible for tugging at Roger's "type A" personality to come along.

Stop this...Both of you.

Roger...Slow down, or, leave a lot of real family and close friends behind, and missing you very much.

Adam...Set it down, my friend. Give your shoulders a break from this overbearing weight. You are not responsible for harming Roger in any way. He made his own choices. May I offer both of y'all my best wishes and prayers?

I'm in a forest of wonder about my own health right now, but I realized from day one that I was steering my bus alone. No one else is responsible for my present health but me, and I would have not pushed it to the edge if I didn't chose too.

Roger and Adam, y'all be safe. I am sure now, that good things wait ahead.

God's Speed...

Archived