TEAM SHELBY FORUM

4:10 gears?

07SHELBY GT

Tried a search for 4:10 gears,Came up with nothing.Might have done something wrong.

I 've driven a roush car with 410s....it will make a difference stoplight-to -stoplight and 1/4 mile. watch out though to balance out with other mods....would think about it real carefully with an supercharged car...wheel spin city on the street. with a whipple you will run out of top end around 5-5500 rpm...about 6200 with a paxton.

you may even want more rubber on the back even with mild tune/stock sgt...it will smoke your tires.

I thought about it before but want to have decent gas mileage if I drive cross country. That and I have the Whipple already so I was concerned for too many "excessive accleration" tickets.

:blink:

With the blower traction is a serious issue...

4:10s will not upset your MPG all that much, maybe drop down 1 mile per gallon highway. But, you'll have so much fun with them on the street, I would expect your overall street MPG will tank.

I'm very tempted myself, but 4:10s would make a short life for 1st gear, I'd be shifting 1-2 before crossing the intersection. BTW, if you decide to make this change, I strongly suggest that you include an improved girdle (cover) and Dana 60 stud kit from Ford Racing. A great combo adding strength to the rear end. FRP has a version that clears the suspension mods.

Anyone know which 5 spd. tranny the SGT has, and what the gear ratios are?

Thanks, happy motoring.

4:10s will not upset your MPG all that much, maybe drop down 1 mile per gallon highway. But, you'll have so much fun with them on the street, I would expect your overall street MPG will tank.

I'm very tempted myself, but 4:10s would make a short life for 1st gear, I'd be shifting 1-2 before crossing the intersection. BTW, if you decide to make this change, I strongly suggest that you include an improved girdle (cover) and Dana 60 stud kit from Ford Racing. A great combo adding strength to the rear end. FRP has a version that clears the suspension mods.

Anyone know which 5 spd. tranny the SGT has, and what the gear ratios are?

Thanks, happy motoring.

I believe the transmission is a Tremec 3650,Unsure of the ratios.

I believe the transmission is a Tremec 3650,Unsure of the ratios.

Correct.

1st: 3.380 :1

2nd: 2.000 :1

3rd: 1.320 :1

4th: 1.000 :1

5th: 0.620 :1

Rev: 3.380 :1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremec_TR-3650_transmission

Transmission Gear x rear gear = overall gear ratio

.62x4.10 = 2.54. That is a good highway final gear.

.62x4.30 = 2.85. Better IMO but makes the other gears way too short.

current setup

.62x3.55 = 2.201. Ok but too low IMO.

EDIT: Let me retract. I like a higher overall gear ratio for a truck but not a car so I wouldn't go past 4.10's.

Correct.

1st: 3.380 :1

2nd: 2.000 :1

3rd: 1.320 :1

4th: 1.000 :1

5th: 0.620 :1

Rev: 3.380 :1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremec_TR-3650_transmission

Transmission Gear x rear gear = overall gear ratio

.62x4.10 = 2.54. That is a good highway final gear.

.62x4.30 = 2.85. Better IMO but makes the other gears way too short.

current setup

.62x3.55 = 2.201. Ok but too low IMO.

Thank you Stump, I owe you one.

BTW...

The Ford Racing girdle for the 05-08 Mustang suspension is M-4033-G2, list 199.00

The Ford Racing ring and pinion install kit is M-4210-C, list 120.00

The Ford Racing Traction-Lok rebuild kit with carbon discs is M-4700-C, 109.95

The Ford Racing Dana 60 stud kit is M-4034-A, list 37.95

The Ford Racing ring and pinion kit is M-4209-G410A (auto tranny), list 259.00, and M-4209-G410M (manual), list 225.00

Did y'all know that the SGT 8.8 rear end uses 31 spline axles?

Happy motoring!

I am considering the 410's. I would like to hear from the sced 410 car owners. Would you do it again or go with a 373? John Walker told me stay w/373. But louie turns a 11 sec + 1/4 mile.

Any comments?

I would follow john's and other advice above. I am sc'ed but won't go beyond 373s....if someone is runnin 11s on 1/4 with 10 lbs of boost and expected other mods, they MUST be running good-hooking slicks. and if you are runnin good hooking slicks, launching a 500+ hp 3600 lb car that hooks hard, is gonna up the driveline stress considerably. better swap for a hi-strength one piece drive shaft, way better clutch and have some spare u-joints handy when the parts start flying. for street driving, better to follow johns advice ...........I can't ask you to 'trust me", but you may chose to believe me....I have broken a lotta drive line parts with 500hp cars built from 300 hp engineered cars.

regards

bob

Anybody here do the swap to 4:10 gears yet.I have driven a stock GT with 4:10s and it will make a beleiver out of you,Might be some in my immediate future,How about you?

I have 4.10s, real happy with them. fuel economy went down about 3mpg, but well worth it. RPM in 5th at 70mph is a smidge under 2500.

MAP

Archived