TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is the break in actually built in?

I saw a thread on another site ( http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305643 ) that suggested that the Shelby's engine computer helps break the engine in properly by limiting power output for a certain unspecified break in period. This was offered as an explanation as to why the early dyno numbers for the GT500 we have seen on this site are a little lower than expected.

Does anyone have any idea if this is true? I wonder if this guy was thinking of the Valet Tune we have read so much about on this site. :shrug:

This isn't my area of expertise, so I'm hoping someone out there can shed some light on this for us.

I saw a thread on another site ( http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305643 ) that suggested that the Shelby's engine computer helps break the engine in properly by limiting power output for a certain unspecified break in period. This was offered as an explanation as to why the early dyno numbers for the GT500 we have seen on this site are a little lower than expected.

Does anyone have any idea if this is true? I wonder if this guy was thinking of the Valet Tune we have read so much about on this site. :shrug:

This isn't my area of expertise, so I'm hoping someone out there can shed some light on this for us.

First of all, most of the folks on svtperformance.com don't know their butt from a hole in the ground outside of their world of Termies. And, they're all still PO'd because most of them paid at or around MSRP early on and later found that there was as much as 8 thousand dollars off as they were blowing them out. These are the same folks with the '03/'04s on eBay at 30K when the car is worth 20K. Oh...and that really popular "I love Hall & Oates" Mystichrome package is thought by them to have particular value, when a dealer...or the auction will show you at least $1,000 LESS if you have a purple steering wheel and seats. I wonder how many owners also found matching Member's Only jackets?

Now that THAT little rant about those elitists is over here are the facts:

No. They're wrong. As Chris states, it's a safety (yours) feature to keep some moron from running the B-Jesus out of it during delivery. I'm hoping someone finds a way to retro that tune via a switch or key to create a true valet mode. As much as I detest valeting my cars, I sometimes don't have the option.

5 CONSECUTIVE miles or 50 start cycles and you're cookin'.

Idon't know what you're referring to about less than stellar dyno figures. I've only seen one dyno'd thusfar and it was doing around 475-480 (after factoring back out the driveline loss) in 100 degree/85% humidity.

Can you say "heat soak"? I recently had a turbocharged car that would run as much as 18% low when the intercooler was heat soaked!

:shift:

bj

Most powertrains will get incrementally more efficient as the moving parts wear in and pattern themselves. As well, the computer needs some cycle time to "learn" the environment in the area the car is being driven in. It is my understanding that all Romeo Niche-line engines are hot run for 5 mins on assembly to check fro leaks and servicablility. And the valet tune is dumped after the oft mentioned parameters are reached. I don't believe even a dealer can get that code back into the ECU after it has been overwritten once.

Most powertrains will get incrementally more efficient as the moving parts wear in and pattern themselves. As well, the computer needs some cycle time to "learn" the environment in the area the car is being driven in. It is my understanding that all Romeo Niche-line engines are hot run for 5 mins on assembly to check fro leaks and servicablility. And the valet tune is dumped after the oft mentioned parameters are reached. I don't believe even a dealer can get that code back into the ECU after it has been overwritten once.

Best ansewr here yet...

Back when the 03's 1st came out this same myth was floating around. I dont think it is a "special tune" but more of part break like mentioned above.

Venmous1 I did get a kick out of your post... paying over sticker for an early 03 (which I did'nt) and a GT500 is the same thing. I hate to pay over sticker for anything. And bang for the buck the GT500 at 60k takes a back seat to the C6Z06. I say if they were ot make 13,000 GT 500's and sell them only through SVT Dealers (Which do not exist anymore) that there would be a few below sticker by the end of the year.

Prime example is the regular 05GT. They were selling for over sticker around here for the 1st six months not they are sitting on teh lot's in good nunber's (06's).

Not Po'd here just Ford went the wrong w/ the Shelby. I will hang on to my 03 and have a C6Z06 in the garage in lieu of. :

<<<flamesuiton

Best ansewr here yet...

Back when the 03's 1st came out this same myth was floating around. I dont think it is a "special tune" but more of part break like mentioned above.

Venmous1 I did get a kick out of your post... paying over sticker for an early 03 (which I did'nt) and a GT500 is the same thing. I hate to pay over sticker for anything. And bang for the buck the GT500 at 60k takes a back seat to the C6Z06. I say if they were ot make 13,000 GT 500's and sell them only through SVT Dealers (Which do not exist anymore) that there would be a few below sticker by the end of the year.

Prime example is the regular 05GT. They were selling for over sticker around here for the 1st six months not they are sitting on teh lot's in good nunber's (06's).

Not Po'd here just Ford went the wrong w/ the Shelby. I will hang on to my 03 and have a C6Z06 in the garage in lieu of. :

<<<flamesuiton

Do a search. There was a copy of the owners manual posted here, and it discusses it. Or if you are lucky enough to have the car the information is in your glovebox>

Best ansewr here yet...

<<<flamesuiton

Post the best $$$$$$ you can find on a 06-07 Z06? Can't touch one around here,

SD, for less than 80k! :rant:

Archived