TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why did you choose a Shelby?

jaycub_merged

Why did you choose your Shelby?

Because 41 years ago, in 1966, I could not afford one. Now I can. I was torn between the GT500 and the SGT. The SGT won out because it is produced at SAI and, with the modifications will be a formidable machine, while the GT500s are produced completely at FoMoCo. Don't get me wrong, I am not dissing the GT500, not in the least. But you asked. :) Jim

For the looks. I love this s197 Mustang body style to.

Specifically the appearance. Even though I am not really satisified with the naturally aspirated power of this car, but it is far from slow as this car is adequately fast & quick, I would love to see this car stock @ 380 HP. But all that being said- the name, the look, the 20" Razors with Shelby engraving this car is unbeatable for $40K. (even though you can get them much cheaper "right now" but I think the price will settle in on the strong side after this year has passed as no 2009 SGT is available, the production is over after the 2008 model.) I get more looks and compliments than with any other car I have ever owned and I have had extremely nice cars in my life. So if you don't want any or much attention, this clearly is NOT the car for you.

Love the looks! :):):)

THE LEGEND - THE REAL REASON FOR ME TO PURSUE A SHELBY IS BECAUSE OF CARROLL AND HIS UNDERSTANDING AND GENEROSITY OF HIS TIME MONEY AND ASSETS TO DO SOMETHING AS WONDERFUL AS THE CHILDRENS FOUNDATION.

I AM A EXPERMENTAL HEART TRANSPLANT RECEIVED MINE AT 17 AND 25 YEARS LATER STILL GOING STRONG.

SHELBYGUY

THE LEGEND - THE REAL REASON FOR ME TO PURSUE A SHELBY IS BECAUSE OF CARROLL AND HIS UNDERSTANDING AND GENEROSITY OF HIS TIME MONEY AND ASSETS TO DO SOMETHING AS WONDERFUL AS THE CHILDRENS FOUNDATION.

I AM A EXPERMENTAL HEART TRANSPLANT RECEIVED MINE AT 17 AND 25 YEARS LATER STILL GOING STRONG.

SHELBYGUY

Wow! That is powerful stuff. Thanks for sharing. Most of us think of The Man in the sense of only cars. You remind us of another, very human, side of The Man. Jim

My wife won (free) a v6 Mustang at our local race track. I always liked the looks of that car. Then this summer we were driving around at the local Ford lot and there she was, just sitt'in there all pretty. I feel in love with her right away. Then about two weeks later I had 5 bypasses done and when I got out of the hospital I figured WTF ya can't take it with you. So I bought it. It was funny because I couldn't drive for a while so the wife would drive me around in it, crazy woman, racing everybody we came across for the cripes sake. Those tires aren't going to last long. :D

My wife won (free) a v6 Mustang at our local race track. I always liked the looks of that car. Then this summer we were driving around at the local Ford lot and there she was, just sitt'in there all pretty. I feel in love with her right away. Then about two weeks later I had 5 bypasses done and when I got out of the hospital I figured WTF ya can't take it with you. So I bought it. It was funny because I couldn't drive for a while so the wife would drive me around in it, crazy woman, racing everybody we came across for the cripes sake. Those tires aren't going to last long. :D

interesting how life and problems in life can effect the way we do things...i too had H.A. which resulted in triple bypass at 49....needless to say you are right about not being able to take it with you! All those things that i had been "saving up" for...well, let's just say the toy box has gotten bigger....I have told my wife when i do go that i want the Shelby leading the pack to cemetery! Don't think they can keep up....

Specifically the appearance. Even though I am not really satisified with the naturally aspirated power of this car, but it is far from slow as this car is adequately fast & quick, I would love to see this car stock @ 380 HP. But all that being said- the name, the look, the 20" Razors with Shelby engraving this car is unbeatable for $40K. (even though you can get them much cheaper "right now" but I think the price will settle in on the strong side after this year has passed as no 2009 SGT is available, the production is over after the 2008 model.) I get more looks and compliments than with any other car I have ever owned and I have had extremely nice cars in my life. So if you don't want any or much attention, this clearly is NOT the car for you.

Love the looks! :):):)

Hey Swede, you should take the first couple of sentences from this post amd make it your signature.....

so you dont have to keep typing it over and over again.!!!! :P .......j/k buddy.

Fell in love with the car the first time I saw her.....only it was a 2006 GT-H.

Recently found an email I sent to Dale 9/06 of the first preproduction photo of the SGT I had seen, (at Red Rocks with chrome wheels)...and said half-kidding...'I want the black one......'

DREAMS DO COME TRUE!

Because it's a SHELBY.

End of story.

:D

J/K

Because it's been a life long dream and there is nothing better. Plus, it's all about the experience and friends since making the purchase.

+1 lol I grew up with car nuts in the car bussiness, in 1969 our family cruiser was a GT500 drag pack until it turned into a Pantera. Through the years the family has collected all of the Shelbys and I spent time in a number of them when I was a kid. My SGT reminds me of originals in many ways from styling queues to the way the car sits and rides. It brings back good memories and makes me feel young :)

I think I have told this story before but it is right to the point.

When I was like 12 or 12 and was really starting to like cars more then playing with them I had two uncles each with a '60s eraa Mustang. Nothing special but 289s. My focus to my father's dismay, he used to race super Bs, became Mustangs. Somebody gave me a book on Mustangs and of course there was a chapter on Shelby's. I immediately fell in love with the 1966 GT350 right down to the quarter windows. It has been my dream car since. I can't afford one in any kind of decent shape now however. To me the Shelby GT is dang well close enough but with all the modern conviences.

Because the Roush, Saleen, and Foose SE Mustangs were all taken. :P

All time favorite mustang is the 1966 GT 350 (65 GT 350 was too uncivilized for my tastes plus I like the quarter panel window look on the 1966).

Loved the GT-350H and when they came out with the GT-H I loved it too. Only wished they had made it with a stick, without the spoiler, and made it available to the public. Then the Shelby GT came out and I loved it even more, but wished it was available with in white with blue stripes, or blue with silver stripes.

Then lo and behold the 08 SGT came out in blue with silver stripes, and I had to have one, so I cancelled my 08 Mustang GT order and ordered an 08 SGT.

The only mustang that I seen that comes close to the 08 SGT for me is the new Saleen H302 in Grabber Blue (1970 Grabber Blue Mach 1 is my 2nd favorite mustang)

why I chose my shelby..........

............ I met a family in college that had a kit car cobra (351-W, T-56, on a 1998 corvette ) an origional 427 cobra, and a 67GT350( Accupolco blue w/ white). He was a TRUE Shelby fan and races Formula Fours for a living. I to fell in love with Shelby's, as I was already a die hard Ford guy and a mustang fanatic. I had origionally put a deposit on a GT500. When it came in, I went to pick it up and saw a SGT beside it. I drove it , just looked at the GT500, and fell in love. Low and behold, Two weeks later 07SGT4578 was at home in my garage. BTW, the GT500 was Black w/ silver stripes and spoiler delete. The SGT was White. of course mine is Black, bought her from another one of thier lots.

Deep down, I've always been a "Ford man" and have loved Mustangs. I started reading about these cars when the GT-H surfaced, and then when the SGT came out I really thought - wow! That would be a neat car to own! I thought the total package was great - the Shelby name, the power, the looks. I was originally planning to buy the new BMW 325i or M3, but then I saw one of the SGT's in the showroom and at that point I was hooked. It's a fantastic car and a great value.

Very moving.

I bought mine as much for my 2 yr. old grandson as for myself. My wife and myself have taken on the responsibility of raising him due to circumstances i won't get into here. When i'm gone, i want him to have something of value to remember me by. It's already willed to him, and i hope it stays in the family for years to come.

Sue, I am honored that they posted the story on their website. :)

Ya know Roger....that would be an honor. Your story is so American though.....so "family" ...so what this country is all about. Stories like yours are what built Ford, Shelby......the American family.

You are now marked into the Shelby history.....and that should make you very prooud.

As for me, my ties to Mustangs aren't near what yours are. My first car at 16 was a 74 Mustang II. OK GUYS...no making fun.......but I was 16, it was brand new....HAD A V8.......and I loved that car.

Then came college, marraige, kids, mini vans, 4 door tanks......and now I am almost 50......was looking for a truck for my hubby...then THERE IT WAS ! Kept trying to walk away.........went to more dealers..looking for a truck..........and THERE IT WAS AGAIN . Now it's mine. I want to drive it and enjoy it everyday while i am still able . I LOVE the looks i get from these young kids when they pull up and see "some old lady " driving this hot car . If I can afford to, I will keep it for my granddaugher some day.

I am very very happy that they posted your story in "their archives". You truly deserve that.

Gosh now I am getting all mushy.

:P :P

This car brings that out in all of us.

Sue

all these stories are just great !!!!!

Very moving.

I bought mine as much for my 2 yr. old grandson as for myself. My wife and myself have taken on the responsibility of raising him due to circumstances i won't get into here. When i'm gone, i want him to have something of value to remember me by. It's already willed to him, and i hope it stays in the family for years to come.

That is truly great about your intentions with your grandson. I have made provisions that #5322 must be handed down from generation to generation. I hope I am around when my 19mo. old grandson is able to drive. He will learn on a stick, a Shelby, #5322. :)

Ya know Roger....that would be an honor. Your story is so American though.....so "family" ...so what this country is all about. Stories like yours are what built Ford, Shelby......the American family.

You are now marked into the Shelby history.....and that should make you very prooud.

As for me, my ties to Mustangs aren't near what yours are. My first car at 16 was a 74 Mustang II. OK GUYS...no making fun.......but I was 16, it was brand new....HAD A V8.......and I loved that car.

Then came college, marraige, kids, mini vans, 4 door tanks......and now I am almost 50......was looking for a truck for my hubby...then THERE IT WAS ! Kept trying to walk away.........went to more dealers..looking for a truck..........and THERE IT WAS AGAIN . Now it's mine. I want to drive it and enjoy it everyday while i am still able . I LOVE the looks i get from these young kids when they pull up and see "some old lady " driving this hot car . If I can afford to, I will keep it for my granddaugher some day.

I am very very happy that they posted your story in "their archives". You truly deserve that.

Gosh now I am getting all mushy.

:P :P

This car brings that out in all of us.

Sue

all these stories are just great !!!!!

Sue, thanks, it's like my first car ever.........a 64 1/2 Mustang coupe pimento Red (Red Orange). Loved that car. Ugly color an all! I remember seeing the first Mustang commercial with my dad. Just prior to the 1965 World Fair in NY. It was a white coupe with red interior. My dad loved that car. It is America. I'm just thankful that I have been able to be around when it all happened. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Isn't it amazing how "that special car" just talks to you .................so what did Ralph say as you walked by him a second time? He didn't get fresh with you.....did he? :lol:

Deep down, I've always been a "Ford man" and have loved Mustangs. I started reading about these cars when the GT-H surfaced, and then when the SGT came out I really thought - wow! That would be a neat car to own! I thought the total package was great - the Shelby name, the power, the looks. I was originally planning to buy the new BMW 325i or M3, but then I saw one of the SGT's in the showroom and at that point I was hooked. It's a fantastic car and a great value.

Ilmor, we need to meet up next spring. We can all share our stories. It yeilds a very high fun quotion per $. I hope you can make it up for the Tasca show next year. I know I'm going to make Lime Rock.

My path to a Shelby GT is somewhat similar to others posted. In my home town a wealthy businessman bought his son a brand-new 1966 Shelby 350. It was white and I thought it was the coolest car I had ever seen and it was fast. But, owning something like that was out of the question for me. Then there was college, marriage, kids, career and finally retirement. I have owned a lot of cars over the years and while they have been neat cars none of them was a “sports car” or strictly a performance car. Being an old Ford and car guy I really liked the looks of “retro” Mustang and then when the GT500 appeared I tried to purchase one. However, they were difficult to locate in my area and when I did they wanted $10K-$20K over sticker, which was deal killer for me. I found out about the Shelby GT from an article in Motor Trend and ordered one. Love the car and will never sell it.

This might get kinda long so Sorry!Back in 1968 My father was getting ready to come back home from Vietnam,He ordered a 1969 Mach I,428 SCJ Acapulco blue.I was brought home from the hospital in that car,Which had cutouts that liked to stick open when hot.I for the life of me cannot get the sound of a V8 rumble out of my system!Over the years I have owned many muscle cars and driven them daily until recently when people with 4 door mavericks think they really have something of value,Making my old hobby rather expensive and not too much fun any more.I have tried to pass the passion down to my 14yr old son,As life has progressed I have become more of a modifier than a full on restorer,Not enough time!So I started with a 2 yr old 98 Formula LS1 Firebird Moved to 05 GTO, 07 Mustang GT,TO 07 Vette,Then I finally saw one in person,The retro styled 07 Shelby GT!This car moved me like no other new model car has!The stripes,I have always liked white,Lots of my earlier Bondo buckets were white to hide the waves and the color grew on me,How about that Super kick ass retro styled Hurst cue ball,Now your talkin'!V8 rumble,And last but definately not least,It's a SHELBY,The cars dreams are made of!My son really likes the car!I have even let him drive it once,He can already row a stick shift at 14,I am so proud of him!If he's lucky,Maybe someday he will get one of his own!

Why did you choose your Shelby?

I didn't choose my Shelby.

"LuLu" chose me.

Much like it's posted here by others, I too, faced a "life-time-turning-point" crisis. Two tumors in my lower abdomen, one had to come out and right now, because it was pressing against (and growing into) my intestines. The second tumor is in my groin and unreachable at this time. I also have a third tumor in my right lung, at the 2nd rib bone. More about this later, after doctors watch it for the next 3 months.

3 months away from retirement from my 30+ year professional LEO career, I was disappointed by this sudden turn in my health. While attending to this new concern, I tried to brighten my forecast with hopes of better days ahead, so, I went car shopping.

My car at this time, was a very clean and quick '05 Dodge Neon SXT which I liked it a lot. But...Now I want to go back again. Back into my personal history to refresh my memories of '60s muscle cars.

I've had lots of fast and quick Detroit iron over the years, ran a big-block Camaro into 9s before I surrendered my NHRA license after failing their physical. Yet, the '60s were calling me and the '08 Mustang GT was as close as I was going to get to fast, in a Detroit production line automobile.

So be it. I loved the base retro look and I knew there were countless accessories and aftermarket products that would enable me to tailor a Mustang GT to exactly what I wanted it to be. I shopped for a 2008 MGT in black with all the bells and whistles and I wanted to shift gears one more time. No. Make this a "have too", a "must". I must shift gears one more time.

Once the '08 MGTs hit local dealers, I visited every FMC dealership within a days drive from my home, looking for just the right MGT with a stick. Albeit, finding a stick shift in early '08 stock was disappointing and all I could do was dream. Dream how I would mod my MGT 5 speed stick once I found it.

I ended up 90 miles south of home and chatting about my dreams with the sales manager of an FMC dealership in farm country. He offered me several good deals, but only one was a stick. A left-over '06 GT in red. He said "I sell trucks in all sizes, and a lot of farm equipment too. I don't sell sports cars, sorry I can't help you." "I want a black Mustang GT with a stick, thank you for your time".

As I tried to drive out of the dealership, their driveway became blocked by a transport truck full of incoming inventory. Moments later, the sales manager (at least five years my senior and double my overweight) came running at me in a full blown jog. He banged on my window and spoke in elevated/heated tones, as if to say "call 911!". He offered me 20 bucks USC and said "go have lunch somewhere 'round here, and come back in an hour, please!" I refused his money, but went to lunch. I was hungry anyway.

When I returned, the sales manager took me back to where "Lulu" waited. And she waited impatiently as three porters unwrapped her. Obvious to me then, LuLu would be a real bitch. Demanding. Constant attention. Fickle, frickle, what-ever, I could hear her left front 235/50/18 BFG tapping on the body shop floor, and I knew I was undertaking and tending to, a high strung boss.

The sales manager handed me Lulu's keys and asked me (with a smile in his eyes) "do me a favor, Mac? Take her around front?" "Yeah, sure, no problem" I said, but I thought "this bitch thinks she' the high horse anyway, I'll show her..."

As I pointed LuLu out of the body shop and down the now clear and open driveway, I realized (as Lulu did) that we were only 5 miles east of I-57. I didn't drive Lulu "around front", but pointed her towards I-57 and she took me for a ride.

Bourbonnaias' access to I-57 are two long on-ramps, each 3/4 of a mile (or longer) long. You're either heading up (north), or, down (south). I headed up, and in this 3/4 of a mile on ramp I found 130+ MPH., with a very retro '60s Hurst "Competition-Plus" shifter in my right hand, white "cue ball" knob and all.

I ran the tank dry, and stopped to refill LuLu for my ride home before I returned to Court Street Ford to sign off on everything. Jeeze, it's like buying real estate these days..."Sign here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and (finally!) here. Thanks!"

Court Street Ford took my '05 Neon SXT and 34,001.24 of my cash (in zero percent financing), while LuLu took me home.

I didn't choose LuLu.

She chose me.

<bleep> women always get what they want anyway, right?

BTW, I survived my initial surgery done last Tuesday (10/30/07). One tumor out, two to go. So far, biopsy is negative at this time and my doctors will be peeking at them again in 3 months.

Thanks for listening, y'all be safe.

Archived