TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Paxton VS. Whipple

SGT

I was looking at the Paxton for my Shelby because I can keep the Strut Tower Brace. But I like the numbers for the Whipple a lot. So is the Whipple worth taking of the Strut Tower Brace? An the guys who got the Paxton before the Whipple was available. Would you get the Whipple if it was available?

I was looking at the Paxton for my Shelby because I can keep the Strut Tower Brace. But I like the numbers for the Whipple a lot. So is the Whipple worth taking of the Strut Tower Brace? An the guys who got the Paxton before the Whipple was available. Would you get the Whipple if it was available?

And when you guys comment, please include, if you can, your thoughts on where in the power band the Whipple delivers power compared to the Paxton. My understanding is that the Whipple kicks in more of its power at low rpms, while the Whipple delivers more of its power at higher rpms. As a person who is set to get the s/c at the mod shop in December or January (I hope), this is an interesting subject to me. Thanks. Jim

People with the Whipple why did you get it.

And the same for the people with the Paxton why.

I got mine because...

Well, I'll let JW say why...

John, can you answer this for me?

Just messing with you pal. It was all good. LOL

No matter the reason I got the Whipple, I am glad I got it and couldn't be happier. In fact, if it weren't for that reason, I might not have gotten it so maybe it was good that it happened that way. Had I known then what I know now, I still would have gotten it. The power is immediate, it looks cool, it sounds awesome and it's a real lot of fun.

On multiple occasions, I have taken some coworkers for rides - usually 4 of us at a time. Comments I've recieved range from "I left my stomach a half mile back" to "incredible power" to "I've never been in such a powerful and fast car." I feel it drives better with a car load of people because it locks up better. Although one time, with 4 people, I still slid in 2nd gear for about 200 feet.

No matter what, get any S/C. And, if you get one, it should be mandatory that you get the upgrade brakes. As I've said several times on this board, John Walker once told me that (and I'm paraphrasing) "before you can go fast, you should be able to stop well."

Please, Please, Please get upgrade brakes if you get a supercharger. Think of any guilt trip possible and multiply it by a million - I can't emphasize it enough to be safe with this kind of power.

I got mine because...

Well, I'll let JW say why...

John, can you answer this for me?

Just messing with you pal. It was all good. LOL

No matter the reason I got the Whipple, I am glad I got it and couldn't be happier. In fact, if it weren't for that reason, I might not have gotten it so maybe it was good that it happened that way. Had I known then what I know now, I still would have gotten it. The power is immediate, it looks cool, it sounds awesome and it's a real lot of fun.

On multiple occasions, I have taken some coworkers for rides - usually 4 of us at a time. Comments I've recieved range from "I left my stomach a half mile back" to "incredible power" to "I've never been in such a powerful and fast car." I feel it drives better with a car load of people because it locks up better. Although one time, with 4 people, I still slid in 2nd gear for about 200 feet.

No matter what, get any S/C. And, if you get one, it should be mandatory that you get the upgrade brakes. As I've said several times on this board, John Walker once told me that (and I'm paraphrasing) "before you can go fast, you should be able to stop well."

Please, Please, Please get upgrade brakes if you get a supercharger. Think of any guilt trip possible and multiply it by a million - I can't emphasize it enough to be safe with this kind of power.

Shelby nut. Your car is soooo nice. Those wheels with the shelby grill really set the paint off. Plus the looks under the hood is very cool with the whipple.

I went the centrifugal route in 98 on a Cobra that I built and always wished I had gone with a roots style blower. If you are running these little motors you obviously are giving up quite a bit of torque, with a paxton you get the horspower and torque later in the RPM curve then you do with a Whipple. With the Whipple you have boost all the time so it feels more like you're driving a big block. I can't say enough about the Whipple kit it is OEM quality and a well thought out design. Something I like about mine is the fact that you don't hear it unless you are standing on it, my Vortech you could hear a block away and while that has a certain <bleep> appeal it gets old driving down the freeway. Having the power right off the bottom gives the car a VERY muscular feel and is really fun to drive.

You really have to ask yourself what kind of driiving you expect to do in the car. If you aren't racing, having power down low injects fun in to everyday driving.

I did the whipple due to the reasons above. No lag, instant response, more power throughout the entire rev band. I've had roots type SC's in my 03 & 04 Cobra's and just love the response and power while retaining everyday drivablility with little or no loss of fuel mileage.

Archived