TEAM SHELBY FORUM

More Power

just-larry

Is there anyone with experience as adding more power with one of the chip programming tools? Would investing in either one of the Diablo or SCT units really get anything for the GT-H or has that level of tuning been done at SAI????

Just-Larry

Is there anyone with experience as adding more power with one of the chip programming tools? Would investing in either one of the Diablo or SCT units really get anything for the GT-H or has that level of tuning been done at SAI????

Just-Larry

I don't know much about the programming of the GT-H, but I presume it is not too different from the SGT.

My short answer is no, you will not gain much bang for the bucks involved. However, I need to qualify this, because it is possibly a yes answer too. Keep in mind that just uploading a tune is half the deal. In order for it to pay off, you need to get the tune tweaked on a dyno. Add 150+ bucks to the cost of your programmer of choice for this service.

SCT/Diablo/others "out of the box" tunes would be very similar to the stock SGT tune, and considering the cost of a programming package, you wouldn't gain much power. Bone stock, my SGT put down 275.5 RWHP and 302 RWTQ on the stock SGT tune. My tuner, Corey Simpson, said he could squeak out a few more ponies because the stock SGT/Ford Racing tune is a tad rich for safety reasons. If you lean it out, there is some more power on tap. However, lean is risk and you can run lean at the wrong time. Need I tell y'all where this will take you?

OTOH...Add a few minor performance mods such as spark enhancers, change of rear gear ratio, optional tire sizes, headers, high-flow cats, ect, and a custom dyno tune from a seasoned professional with the software of your choice could really pay off. You may shave as much as .25 or more off your ET.

Again, and I cannot stress this enough...The risk of damaging something on your SGT is all your's now, you're tossing you own dice. Mess with the stock SGT tune and it can be traced back, even if you reflash the old tune back over it.

If you are ready to race your SGT, know your liability out front. There is no free lunch.

275 at the wheels? How much more was the tweeking going to get? That sounds about right compared to the other stock dynos I've seen (I seem to recall between 272 and 282, depending on the car and the dyno).

In the twenty or so seconds it took to write this post, it dawned on me that we are sitting here complaining about 275 or 280 or 300 or whatever . . . it wasn't ten years ago that those kind of numbers would be jaw droppers!

275 at the wheels? How much more was the tweeking going to get? That sounds about right compared to the other stock dynos I've seen (I seem to recall between 272 and 282, depending on the car and the dyno).

In the twenty or so seconds it took to write this post, it dawned on me that we are sitting here complaining about 275 or 280 or 300 or whatever . . . it wasn't ten years ago that those kind of numbers would be jaw droppers!

I am not complaining. I'm rather proud of my numbers from a bone stock SGT.

The OEM tune on the SGT is good as is. It provides a nimble and fun driver that can knock down a lot of competition on the street. Keeping in mind that gobs of HP and TQ are not easy to manage in the stoplight Gran Prix, I am very pleased with my SGT on the two lane blacktop.

What could I get for tweaking this tune without adding any mods? Maybe 5 HP and 7 TQ over stock. Adding up the cost of the hand held programmer, dyno time and a professional tuner's talent, buying single digit performance number for triple digit dollars doesn't make any "cents" to me. Until I decide about headers, high flow cats, blower kit, ect., the OEM tune is very pleasing to me.

I picked up #417 about 2 months ago. First thing I did was take it to the 1/4 mile track and run it. I ran a best of 13.685 at around 101. Most times were around 13.8 like you read in the magazine. I met some people at the track that had their car tuned by a local tuner. I took the car in and they gave me the SCT tuner and re flashed the computer. I also put a pulley kit on the car, smaller balancer, larger pulley on the water pump. I've only been able to take it back to the track and run it twice and it ran a best of 13.4 flat @ 102. I'm hoping to get back out there but have not had time. I feel like the tune and pulleys knocked a good 4/10 to 5/10 off my time. I want to get my times in the high 12's....just enought to beat any other SGTs or GTs. I will next probably by some drag radials and possibly change the breather out. The tune shop told me the Ford open air breather is not the great and want to put another on it. I haven't made my mind up though. the only other thing to do is to change the gears to 4:11 in the rear end. I hate though to crack the case. I don't want to do things to this car that will later destroy the value. Oh by the way when they tuned my car they saved my Shelby Tune in the SCT module. problem is these cars were rented and who knows if it was really the original tune. There are a lot of stories about the cars being retuned and taken to the track. Heck the guy the did mine told me a group of he and his friends flew in to FL rented 4 cars and flashed the computer all weekend just to play. After the SCT tune my car will now chirp the tires in 2nd and 3rd gear. It wouldn't do that before. I hope this helps someone. I thought the tune was worth the money. My car runs noticeably better.

I picked up #417 about 2 months ago. First thing I did was take it to the 1/4 mile track and run it. I ran a best of 13.685 at around 101. Most times were around 13.8 like you read in the magazine. I met some people at the track that had their car tuned by a local tuner. I took the car in and they gave me the SCT tuner and re flashed the computer. I also put a pulley kit on the car, smaller balancer, larger pulley on the water pump. I've only been able to take it back to the track and run it twice and it ran a best of 13.4 flat @ 102. I'm hoping to get back out there but have not had time. I feel like the tune and pulleys knocked a good 4/10 to 5/10 off my time. I want to get my times in the high 12's....just enought to beat any other SGTs or GTs. I will next probably by some drag radials and possibly change the breather out. The tune shop told me the Ford open air breather is not the great and want to put another on it. I haven't made my mind up though. the only other thing to do is to change the gears to 4:11 in the rear end. I hate though to crack the case. I don't want to do things to this car that will later destroy the value. Oh by the way when they tuned my car they saved my Shelby Tune in the SCT module. problem is these cars were rented and who knows if it was really the original tune. There are a lot of stories about the cars being retuned and taken to the track. Heck the guy the did mine told me a group of he and his friends flew in to FL rented 4 cars and flashed the computer all weekend just to play. After the SCT tune my car will now chirp the tires in 2nd and 3rd gear. It wouldn't do that before. I hope this helps someone. I thought the tune was worth the money. My car runs noticeably better.

This is just the kind of info I was looking for. What set of pulleys did you use and the price? I would think that a set of 3:73 gears would be the "sweet spot" for both performance and street driving comfort. This change and possibly the improved breather would likely drop the car into the 12's. Cracking the case is really quite simple, but the gear change should be done by a qualified shop. Also, while in the rear, should do the factory TSB change on the clutch packs. Thanks for a good tech piece here.

This is just the kind of info I was looking for. What set of pulleys did you use and the price? I would think that a set of 3:73 gears would be the "sweet spot" for both performance and street driving comfort. This change and possibly the improved breather would likely drop the car into the 12's. Cracking the case is really quite simple, but the gear change should be done by a qualified shop. Also, while in the rear, should do the factory TSB change on the clutch packs. Thanks for a good tech piece here.

Guys over on the SGT forum swear by the Brenspeed tuner, 4:10 gears and an aluminum shaft.

From what they have said 4:10 alone make the car fell like an additional 50 horses but make 1st and 2nd gears really short. More-so on 2nd than first. Of course this is on a stick. Not sure about an auto.

Check out Louie on the SGT forum. His car pulls high 11's.

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?s=&...indpost&p=32684

duznt louie have a supercharger?

Yes I do Serial # 32

Just got the car back from Realspeed Tuner and install Charge Motion Deletes and re-tune now getting 503 to RWHP and 448 RWTQ a gain of 38 hp gain on race VP 103. Added 60% alcohol and 40% distilled water into my AIS. Installing this week spec stage #3 clutch and aluminum flywheel then hopefully return to track to get into the 10s and then I will have met my goal. Then the 2749 can take a long winter rest.

I looked at the box and all it said was Race Crankshaft for Ford 4.6 litre Mustang GT. I paid $249 for the Pulley set and $399 for the SCT tuner. I don't know if that is high or low. Labor for all was $175. I probably could have done it cheaper but my time is valuable to me now days. My Tuner spent probably 3 hours with me tuning and working on the car so I thought it was worth the money. My tuner is out of Houston, TX and does alot of this through the mail. His website is Dynojoe.com if you want to look at more of what he is doing. Good luck with your upgrades.

To add to this discussion, does anyone know if the aftermarket tuners will allow tweaking of the transmission shift points? I'm happy with the engine performance of my GT-H, but would like the trans to hold the gears a bit longer under conditions other than 'fully spirited' driving. I have another car in the stable that has an auto trans into which I put a Baumann TCS and it has fully adjustable shift points by engine load and pedal position. I'd love to see something similar for the GT-H.

Yes I do Serial # 32

Just got the car back from Realspeed Tuner and install Charge Motion Deletes and re-tune now getting 503 to RWHP and 448 RWTQ a gain of 38 hp gain on race VP 103. Added 60% alcohol and 40% distilled water into my AIS. Installing this week spec stage #3 clutch and aluminum flywheel then hopefully return to track to get into the 10s and then I will have met my goal. Then the 2749 can take a long winter rest.

Sounds super sweet louie!

To add to this discussion, does anyone know if the aftermarket tuners will allow tweaking of the transmission shift points? I'm happy with the engine performance of my GT-H, but would like the trans to hold the gears a bit longer under conditions other than 'fully spirited' driving. I have another car in the stable that has an auto trans into which I put a Baumann TCS and it has fully adjustable shift points by engine load and pedal position. I'd love to see something similar for the GT-H.

Absolutely 100 percent yes, everything is adjustable on the auto tranny, except the OEM stall. This may require an aftermarket torque converter, and my personal preferrence is the Stallion 9" from Precision Industries. I have run that converter on 3 Mercury Marauders with the 4R70W auto tranny, with delightful results. It's almost 75 pounds lighter than the 11" stocker, and come with a free stall adjustment after you do your field testing.

Find a tuner who knows his tranny stuff and you can have just about anything you want, and it can get better with some mild tranny mods to the valve body. The Bauman unit is good too, and should work just fine on your SGT-H.

Happy Motoring!

Yes I do Serial # 32

Hey louie did i meet you at the bellmore car show over the summer ? Dan i have the GT-H ??

Archived