TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Q: For you "car show" veterans

SGT ShuttleGuy

I've been to car shows and rallys but never entered a car in one. What do they look for in terms of awarding ribbons, trophies, etc.? Is it based on how much original factory condition you've kept it? Does "SHELBY" on the trunk give you a competitive advantage? I've seen comments here about folks not wanting to change anything on their cars because it might catch the eye of someone judging at one of these events. Would a shorty antenna matter to a judge? My car didn't come with the lower lights kit but if I put it on one they take off 10 points. Who knows, maybe having a hood scoop with "warpage" is a good thing to the judges cuz it's original from the factory.

I've been to car shows and rallys but never entered a car in one. What do they look for in terms of awarding ribbons, trophies, etc.? Is it based on how much original factory condition you've kept it? Does "SHELBY" on the trunk give you a competitive advantage? I've seen comments here about folks not wanting to change anything on their cars because it might catch the eye of someone judging at one of these events. Would a shorty antenna matter to a judge? My car didn't come with the lower lights kit but if I put it on one they take off 10 points. Who knows, maybe having a hood scoop with "warpage" is a good thing to the judges cuz it's original from the factory.

If are entered in a concourse event (which would be somewhat unusual for a new car) they will be looking for those kind of details. Otherwise for most events they are looking at the same thing you looked at when you walked around and looked at the other cars. One thing is cleanliness and detailing (is the engine compart spotless), is the carpet clean, can you see yourself in the wax job? Probably the most important item is things that set your car apart from the others. If you have four SGTs entered and they are all pretty identical, the judges will look for a car that has something different and unique, say a GT with a cool paint job. So picking out aftermarket items that make your car standout is vital. Shelby stocks a large selection of "dress-up" items that will retain your "Shelbyness" and help set your car apart from the other similar cars.

ShuttleGuy, Depends on who judges the car and how the car is judged. Get a copy of the rules and read it thoroughly. Most Mustang shows, put on by Mustang Clubs, will allow 3 minor modifications, wheels, stereo, gauges, engine dressup/valve covers, etc. Some shows put Mustangs in two groups; stock and modified. Other shows will put all cars together pre-'74, '75 to present, so there is a lot of variables. The MCA judged shows are going to be a lot tougher, but if your car is clean and I mean CLEAN, you should do fine.

Link below is from an old thread, lots of good tips. Good luck.

Dave

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?showtopic=2540

If are entered in a concourse event (which would be somewhat unusual for a new car) they will be looking for those kind of details. Otherwise for most events they are looking at the same thing you looked at when you walked around and looked at the other cars. One thing is cleanliness and detailing (is the engine compart spotless), is the carpet clean, can you see yourself in the wax job? Probably the most important item is things that set your car apart from the others. If you have four SGTs entered and they are all pretty identical, the judges will look for a car that has something different and unique, say a GT with a cool paint job. So picking out aftermarket items that make your car standout is vital. Shelby stocks a large selection of "dress-up" items that will retain your "Shelbyness" and help set your car apart from the other similar cars.

+1

Most of your local events are "Shine & Show" affairs. They aren't particular about this or that modification and most often have only a basic idea of what should or should not be on the car. It's all about how the car looks and how well it's maintained.

I would also add that when it comes to mods you don't want to go too far. For example there was another SGT at a show that was pretty much a joke and an exercise in obsessiveness. This guy it looked like had bought every doo-dad you could think of and stuck it on this car. He was a rolling catalog! It was really over the top and everyone thought so too. Keep it clean and you should be fine. Sometimes you win and sometimes ya loose. The fun is going and meeting people and making new friends. Once you get the circuit down and all you'll be surprised by how many people you see over and over and how many truly beautiful cars there are out there!

Archived